OP Hypertion

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Spoiler:
Show
so here is the solution..

first off, most points are allocated based on damage you do (prevents a totally random reward system)

Second, if you kill someone who has done enough damage you get their points (Promotes killing enemy players to help your team during bosses)

third, All score is given out after the boss dies. (to support both inital parts)

Finally, Killing blow grants a bonus to score for the team that gets the killing blow.

ok.. now how does this work.. lets do some examples... (please feel free to suggest additional Scenarios)

Open the spoilers for the Examples.

Spoiler:
Show
-------------------------------------------------

another option to how this can turn out is to implement steps for damage...

Open the Spoilers for the Examples.
Spoiler:
Show
--------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, these changes make it not only important to deal damage to the boss, but greatly improves on the need to kill enemy team members attacking the boss while removing the Current Dice roll feel to the scoring system and still rewarding the team that gets the killing blow. its as much of a win win system for everyone preferences as i can think of that only relies on changing scoring mechanics and not anything more.
good idea.
Pretty much everything is better than the current final shot system
i cleaned up the original post to simplify it.

i really do not think the current state of warzone can continue. in fact im pretty sure there will be changes regardless of this topic.

Warzone has to be as fair as possible to all players because its 343s cash cow, the Req system is pretty much entirely aimed at this gametype.
You just want Warzone bosses bottle-fed to you, dontcha? The current system is perfect. If I were to take a guy's shield off in Arena and have a teammate actually kill him, it's my kill, right? Of course not. It's about killing the enemy, not hurting it.
You just want Warzone bosses bottle-fed to you, dontcha? The current system is perfect. If I were to take a guy's shield off in Arena and have a teammate actually kill him, it's my kill, right? Of course not. It's about killing the enemy, not hurting it.
i believe that's called an "assist" and it does give you something in return.
This is very well thought out and makes a lot of sense. Would encourage more action at the boss as well, since people aren't just going to try and steal a killing blow at the very end. I would like to at least see this tested in game, if not implemented.
I wouldn't say bottle-fed, but the current setup isn't perfect. Some balance is needed. Too much randomness with all the gunfire makes it less competitive. RNG does not equal competition. I have seen a lot of RNG-esque boss kills in warzone and it is frustrating. More so when playing with random teammates.
Every time a see a thread of this garbage, I try to think what the people posting have in their minds :P

Spoiler:
Show
Sounds great
The second one is only alternative I heard that is good for the boss system. It does make it much more confusing to people though.
Suisun wrote:
Every time a see a thread of this garbage, I try to think what the people posting have in their minds :P

Spoiler:
Show

OP isn't saying that. They can balance it a little bit and reward biggest points for killing blow. I think killing blow should get most points, but the current system of all or nothing isn't that great. Even limiting points pool that is available from not getting the killing blow to 30% of total boss VP would help. Just too big of a swing for my tastes right now.
I wouldn't say bottle-fed, but the current setup isn't perfect. Some balance is needed. Too much randomness with all the gunfire makes it less competitive. RNG does not equal competition. I have seen a lot of RNG-esque boss kills in warzone and it is frustrating. More so when playing with random teammates.
This has exactly nothing to do with RNG. RNG would imply that the game randomly decides who gets the points. This is not the case. This is about who lands the shot that kills the enemy, and the entire point of Boss Points is to land the shot that kills the enemy. I've had times where my team has done most of the work, but an enemy strategically stole the kill off of us. I'm bitter when that happens, but I accept it because that's the way it's meant to be,and the enemy was smart and skilled enough to pull it off. If you don't want the enemies killing the boss, let your teammates deal with the boss whIle you hold off enemy players. It's called using stategy instead of blindly running around going pew-pew at the Boss and expecting to be rewarded for somebody else's kill. Perhaps the only thing broken about this system is noobs expecting to have points catered to them instead of developing a strategy to guaruntee the kill.
People also think that stealing a killing blow is that easy. Everyone is trying for that last shot as well. You have 12+ ordinances going at the boss at the exact same time near the killing blow. You wait half a second to long and hes dead or half a second to fast and it does not do enough. Also, reqing that scorpion to destroy warden then have someone nade you in the tail pipe sucks. As well as taking out the spartan laser and then being one shoted by a sniper.
This has exactly nothing to do with RNG. RNG would imply that the game randomly decides who gets the points. This is not the case. This is about who lands the shot that kills the enemy, and the entire point of Boss Points is to land the shot that kills the enemy. I've had times where my team has done most of the work, but an enemy strategically stole the kill off of us. I'm bitter when that happens, but I accept it because that's the way it's meant to be,and the enemy was smart and skilled enough to pull it off. If you don't want the enemies killing the boss, let your teammates deal with the boss whIle you hold off enemy players. It's called using stategy instead of blindly running around going pew-pew at the Boss and expecting to be rewarded for somebody else's kill. Perhaps the only thing broken about this system is noobs expecting to have points catered to them instead of developing a strategy to guaruntee the kill.
90% of players just sit and throw bullets from as much range as they can. they do this because it gives the most potential reward. There is no strategy invovled in this and the rare person who gives up the boss reward to try and stop enemy players is never enough to stop it. if they don't succeed they get nearly nothing for it... Warzone is not about kills as much as it is about Map Control.

your misconception is that this is to stop the RNG entirely but this is actually intended to give attacking those players as much potential reward as the boss while toning down the massive luck factor that ultimately decides the winning team.

This is to make it as much about killing the enemy team as it is the boss by giving reward for killing those attacking it. the current system Encourages just going for the boss because going for the enemy team has a negligible effect when just one person can get lucky when facing 12. It even discourages teamwork with your other team, if you stop attacking the boss you get nothing personally even if your team manages to pull it off.

it is physically impossible to ensure or guarantee a kill in most situations.. i have reviewed this in theater too many times to count.
Like I said, even a very limited point pool for the damage portion versus killing portion would help. I do not deny that there is skill involved in landing the killing blow. But with so many opportunities to blindly chuck anything at the boss to see what kills it...that seems like some similarities to RNG to me. I don't think there is a perfect fix that I have seen yet, but this is definitely a start. Skill is everywhere, but I think warzone is missing a little balance when it comes to boss fights.

I have also been on both sides (killing blow only and tons of damage but come up empty). I can live with the system as it is, but it is not perfect.
I think Warzone is one of the best PVP experiences I've had for a long time but I agree that it needs balancing a little. I've just left a game where we were tied around 750pts each. They beat us to the last boss (which is fine) but the boost they got didn't reflect how close the game was. I agree they deserved the extra points but it just took us out of the game. The OP's system would be better and I like the idea of points per % of damage with extra for the kill shot (although that's also tricky to balance).

As an opening system I think it works and I'm confident 343 Industries will tweak it. I've played countless multiplayer games - good ones too - where the launch was far less balanced. Many of these games became what they are now after several patches, updates and tweaks.

I'd say tweak the amount of points (150 or more is too many), change the micro-transactions (maybe make players only be able to buy packs based on their level/experience) and add more maps!
The Community has spoken... Of all the issues in warzone, the boss points is effectively the biggest one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/3rgo8f/official_halo_5_bugs_and_suggestion_list/

Straight from the post.

Suggestions
  • Allow boss points to be split across the top contributors
  • Give kill credits to those who did the most damage. Boss kill stealing happens more often than not, anymore.
  • Warzone needs an option to make service tags appear above all your teammates heads, no matter where they are on the map. u/TheWaker[3] says "Having a 'draw distance' for service tags is counter intuitive to coordinating with your team. If the purpose of the tags not being visible at a certain distance is to reduce screen/HUD clutter (which makes sense), then just have the size of tags scale depending on distance, or at least give us a blue arrow or something over the heads of teammates far away - anything at all to mark them on the map. Not only does this make coordinating more difficult, but it continuously leads to friendly fire incidents, as Halo has traditionally conditioned players to shoot at any Spartan without a service tag over his head. It's a minor yet significant QOL issue."
  • Remove boss health bar in Warzone, to prevent people going for the last shot and kill stealing intentionally.
  • Epic boss point swings have a massively dramatic change on the scoreboard. Keeping the 150 point total, the first 100 points should be based on percentage of damage done to the epic boss with the final 50 points being awarded to the team who secures the kill. Or 75/75, really anything but the full 150 points being rewarded for a simple point snipe. I understand that point swings can be fun when used in this manner to a certain extent, but it's just too dramatic in my opinion and happens too often.
even if my suggestions don't get implemented, its going to get changed in some fashion. Most people dont like this kind of RNG

also this..

In Warzone and Arena, often times you can't see the icon that shows someone is using their mic. This is really annoying when someone has a kinect mic set up or is making a bunch of noise just to be rude. You have to mute every person individually until you find out who is making the noise, or just mute everyone. Also, when the icon IS working, it's hard to see in general, doesn't really stand out.

but that should definitely fixed anyways.
Agreed, really well thought out and sensible post. Good work, get it going 343.
Lol scrub lords like this XD this is prolly the kid who camps cross map with a sniper and steals the kill.
Lol scrub lords like this XD this is prolly the kid who camps cross map with a sniper and steals the kill.
Sniper? No.
Railgun? Yes!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2