Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Was Halo 5's Campaign Actually Good?

OP ShamanRhymin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
So just recently I finished up Halo 5's campaign on legendary solo, but I started playing the campaign when the game first released (I never got to finishing it). I stopped playing right before the Kraken mission a couple months ago and then started playing again just recently. It made me kind of forget what happened but I kept playing anyway. I was actually greatly impressed with the campaign once I started playing it even though it was pretty hard on legendary. I actually was really invested into the story once I started playing again. Looking back at the other missions I played a few months ago it makes me think that they might have been good too, but I was just too hard on it. I'm not too sure though, because I also feel like the nearer to the end it got, the more Halo-esque and cool it felt. All I know is that a lot of people didn't really like it, but it grew on me in the end. What are your guys' thoughts?
The story was pretty ok it was one of those deals were if you tweaked it a bit and told it differently it would have been golden
I thought it was good.... sure it wasn't the best and fighting the warden over and over was the lamest thing ever in a Halo campaign.... But it was still good. Fighting on Sanghelios was quite awesome. The swords of Sanghelios mission was one of the best missions in all of Halo imo
The story was good in concept but it was the execution of the idea that 343 failed with, there was many parts of the story that I liked but unfortunately for me there was a lot more stuff I disliked.
After playing through it again I'm okay with it. Wasn't the best, but it's not terrible, don't think it necessarily deserves the volume of hate it gets.
Yeah I totally agree with you, Sanghelios was amazing. That triple warden fight was so enraging lol
Cough false and misleading advertising cough COUGH
Cough false and misleading advertising cough COUGH
Try to forget the advertising (I know this will be hard for alot of people, but we've gotta get over it) and just take it at face value and you'll like it more, I promise.
The only hate for the campaign I have was the redundant wardens, they are like the zoobats of halo, or the bowser of halo, showing up multiple times to be beaten again, and again, and again.... and again.... Can he ever die?
So just recently I finished up Halo 5's campaign on legendary solo, but I started playing the campaign when the game first released (I never got to finishing it). I stopped playing right before the Kraken mission a couple months ago and then started playing again just recently. It made me kind of forget what happened but I kept playing anyway. I was actually greatly impressed with the campaign once I started playing it even though it was pretty hard on legendary. I actually was really invested into the story once I started playing again. Looking back at the other missions I played a few months ago it makes me think that they might have been good too, but I was just too hard on it. I'm not too sure though, because I also feel like the nearer to the end it got, the more Halo-esque and cool it felt. All I know is that a lot of people didn't really like it, but it grew on me in the end. What are your guys' thoughts?
Most of the characters lacked any kind of motivation or personality. What little they did have wasn't shown to us in an effective manner. Almost no action taken during the campaign mattered. Most of the levels felt like they were split apart so that they could say that had x number of missions. Fighting the warden was simply repetitive. I enjoyed some of the mission, but it was the weakest campaign so far IMO.
For a halo campaign it was ok but compared to other games i consider it a good campaign, i probably refer to cod to much but if anyone has played the bo3 campaign iot was utter garbage, halo 5's is fantastic in contrast
I thought it was great. I loved the cut scenes at every single part. I just think people had unrealistic expectations and were thus let down. I almost perfectly predicted how the hunt for MC would go. I really don't see how that could have surprised anybody. I knew from the commercials that the whole game would not be them questioning MC's honor and motivations. Also there are still a lot of unanswered questions. Which is good. I think 6 will be better and complete the story.
Solid campaign. Just wish there was more Chief levels.
The misleading story advertising stuff aside I still have to say no.

Why do I have to play as locke for 75% of the game? Why is there next to no backstory on the guardians? Why have they not been mentioned in past lore? Why did Cortana turn into the evil space empress? Why would they kill the Didact off-screen? Why did Escalations tie the ends of spartan ops but not lead into Halo 5? Why was the infinity less concerned about chief going rogue? Why is it never mentioned or emphasized that he had gone 'rogue'? Where's the city shown the trailer and on the cover art? Why are three of the missions hub worlds? Why did Locke go from hunting chief to aiding him after he got his butt whooped with no explanation? Why is the infinity suddenly more buddy-buddy with halsey? What was the point of spartan ops if it didnt culminate into ANYTHING?

And lets not get started with the Warden fights. They were fun at first but he quickly got repetitive.
And overall the story just lacks any quality of the past games. I mean, the environments (barring the lack of a city environment as suggested in the cover art and trailers) look pretty well done and the open sandboxes are some the best since 2 and 3. But that story. Just why. Why "kill" cortana in 4 and then suddenly bring her back without explaining how the domain survived the halo event to cure her rampancy and even worse is her new attitude doesnt match her. She clearly hated the didact, why would she suddenly have a change of heart and follow his footsteps but with the created as the guardians of the mantle?

And why do we play as Locke for 75% of the game? Seriously. At least with the pov changes in halo 2, the chief/arbiter switching was atleast 50/50

I mean yeah sure, there will of course be people who love this story, but for me it's easily the worst story in the series. Worse than 2. Worse than 3 (long story, I didnt care for 3's campaign either. It was too short and anti-climactic), and much worse than 4.

The gameplay is solid though and the MP is finally turning out nice. At launch I would say Halo 5 is probably a 6/10, but by now it's closer to a 7 or a 7.5/10
Best level design I any game
amazing graphics
Pretty fun

but it the story sucked, it's up to halo 6 to save halo 5 fail.

Also the marketing for halo 5 was a giant lie
In my opinion it was disapointment both story and level design wise. It had it's moments and was good game but as halo game it was very disapointing. I love these new abilities and at first I thought the game was awesome. I was so excited after two first mission and I thought it was going to be best halo campaign yet but as I kept playing it started to feel less amazing. I am playing it again to decide how good or bad it really was.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post comments that are discriminatory in nature.
Spoiler:
Show
Gameplay-wise? Yeah, it was pretty good. Everything was smooth, challenging and felt good. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the whole squad mechanic, but it wasn't the worst.

As for the story? Horrible. Terrible. Worst Halo game story by a landslide. It was cliché, a total departure from what was set up in Halo 4, made no sense, and the lack of Blue Team sucked. The writing was terrible, and so much potential went to waste. But I have to say, I'm not surprised at all. The lead writer was the same as Spartan Ops, Halo : Initiation and Halo : Escalation, which were far from fantastic as well. The Didact apparently was completely forgotten, and Jul was killed just to make Locke look cool. And Dr. Halsey and Palmer are suddenly best friends now, somehow? And Cortana somehow accudentally stumbled upon the Domain, which was destroyed when the Halo rings fired. Oh, and that's after not dying.

Honestly, it was like a bad fan fiction. While the gameplay is fun, I can't say that I trust 343i to create a good Halo campaign again. At least, not until they hire a new, competent lead writer.
Halo 5 doesn't even seem like a sequel to Halo 4. The two stories aren't related at all. They don't blend or transition well.
Most of the characters lacked any kind of motivation or personality. What little they did have wasn't shown to us in an effective manner. Almost no action taken during the campaign mattered. Most of the levels felt like they were split apart so that they could say that had x number of missions. Fighting the warden was simply repetitive. I enjoyed some of the mission, but it was the weakest campaign so far IMO.
Yes. Also:
1.) Super cliche.

2.) Basically, no explanation of anything at all, and no link to the previous game. We just randomly fought Warden Eternal for 6-8 hours while Chief looked for magically undead Cortana with a group of unexplained people with him while simultaneously some random new dude accompanied by Buck and some other jabronis followed Chief. Terrible story.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4