Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Was Halo 5's Campaign Actually Good?

OP ShamanRhymin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Hotrod192 wrote:
Gameplay-wise? Yeah, it was pretty good. Everything was smooth, challenging and felt good. I'm not sure I'm a fan of the whole squad mechanic, but it wasn't the worst.

As for the story? Horrible. Terrible. Worst Halo game story by a landslide. It was cliché, a total departure from what was set up in Halo 4, made no sense, and the lack of Blue Team sucked. The writing was terrible, and so much potential went to waste. But I have to say, I'm not surprised at all. The lead writer was the same as Spartan Ops, Halo : Initiation and Halo : Escalation, which were far from fantastic as well. The Didact apparently was completely forgotten, and Jul was killed just to make Locke look cool. And Dr. Halsey and Palmer are suddenly best friends now, somehow? And Cortana somehow accudentally stumbled upon the Domain, which was destroyed when the Halo rings fired. Oh, and that's after not dying.

Honestly, it was like a bad fan fiction. While the gameplay is fun, I can't say that I trust 343i to create a good Halo campaign again. At least, not until they hire a new, competent lead writer.
And this right here is the biggest sin.

Because we all know how much everyone loved spartan ops /s
The misleading story advertising stuff aside I still have to say no.

Why do I have to play as locke for 75% of the game? Why is there next to no backstory on the guardians? Why have they not been mentioned in past lore? Why did Cortana turn into the evil space empress? Why would they kill the Didact off-screen? Why did Escalations tie the ends of spartan ops but not lead into Halo 5? Why was the infinity less concerned about chief going rogue? Why is it never mentioned or emphasized that he had gone 'rogue'? Where's the city shown the trailer and on the cover art? Why are three of the missions hub worlds? Why did Locke go from hunting chief to aiding him after he got his butt whooped with no explanation? Why is the infinity suddenly more buddy-buddy with halsey? What was the point of spartan ops if it didnt culminate into ANYTHING?

And lets not get started with the Warden fights. They were fun at first but he quickly got repetitive.
And overall the story just lacks any quality of the past games. I mean, the environments (barring the lack of a city environment as suggested in the cover art and trailers) look pretty well done and the open sandboxes are some the best since 2 and 3. But that story. Just why. Why "kill" cortana in 4 and then suddenly bring her back without explaining how the domain survived the halo event to cure her rampancy and even worse is her new attitude doesnt match her. She clearly hated the didact, why would she suddenly have a change of heart and follow his footsteps but with the created as the guardians of the mantle?

And why do we play as Locke for 75% of the game? Seriously. At least with the pov changes in halo 2, the chief/arbiter switching was atleast 50/50

I mean yeah sure, there will of course be people who love this story, but for me it's easily the worst story in the series. Worse than 2. Worse than 3 (long story, I didnt care for 3's campaign either. It was too short and anti-climactic), and much worse than 4.

The gameplay is solid though and the MP is finally turning out nice. At launch I would say Halo 5 is probably a 6/10, but by now it's closer to a 7 or a 7.5/10
Halo 3's campaign is my favorite by a mile. Everything screams epic in it from taking on a scarab in a tank, to fighting a scarab in a mongoose, to fighting 2 scarabs at once in a hornet, to Forward Unto Dawn dropping down and bringing more tanks to slaughter everyone.
Troll
The campaign missions were tedious, boring, too railed, and too much Warden bullet sponge of one shooting doom.
The campaign story was pathetic.
The characters are just empty shells moving from point A to point B without a clear purpose.
Their motives are highly questionable and essentially undefined.
The polarizing personality shift of Cortana isn't a bad idea, it's just the there is zero direct explanation which utterly ruins it.
Heck, I advocated for Cortana's return as the villain, but H5G did it so ineptly that it's just bad.
It completely ruined the Halo universe.
Nice graphics, but the caracters were a bit low developed, short vehicles parts (comparing to old halos), good weapons and AMAZING locations
Too much locke, no character development, jul mdama dies in a cutscene just to make locke look cool, fighting 8 wardens is dumb.The real big thing that bothered me the most was they flat out ditched the didact and absolute record arc
In terms of gameplay, yes.
In terms of story, no.
Gameplay wise it was my second favorite, with HaloCE beating it out (indestructible vehicles, Co-Op, and so many fun glitches); but Halo 5 had so many vehicle levels, lots of cool weapons scattered around, and of course the cool new abilities.

Story wise I liked it, I was kind of disapointed when Cortana and Chief got into the love thing in Halo 4, seemed like the low hanging fruit to go that route. I'd of rather made them a fireteam thing, like Johns relationship with Linda for example, rather than a romantic thing. Alas I'm not the writer of the story so I can respect 343i's decisions.

My main gripe is the lack of levels where you're playing as Chief, he's the heart and soul of Halo, and in my opinion one of the, if not the most bad -Yoink- character in any video game franchise. It didn't bother me a whole hell of a lot, but it would have been nice to play as Chief most of the time.

I give the campaign an 8.5/10.

Disclaimer, I didn't play Halo4 until MCC and never paid attention to the Hunt the Truth stuff; so I didn't have any preconceived notions of where I thought the story should/would go. I was able to just enjoy the ride.
My best to worst:
. Halo 4
. Halo 3: ODST
. Halo 3
. Halo 5
. Halo: Reach
. Halo 1/Halo 2
. Halo Wars
As numerous others have said - did not care for the story arc at all. Let's basically just ignore everything that was built up in the previous game, half dozen novels, comic book series, all the advertising, etc. and start over with an overdone-to-death sci fi trope that ruins the legacy of one of the franchise's top 2 or 3 most popular characters, then we'll insult everyone's intelligence who criticizes it and insist it was planned all along.

BUT, I will admit, the GAMEPLAY was actually pretty good. I enjoyed that part. Looking forward to my Legendary run whenever I get around to it. Felt pretty balanced on Normal.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not make violent or threatening posts against forum members, moderators, administrators, and non-forum members.
Spoiler:
Show
TRITONK175 wrote:
My best to worst:
. Halo 4
. Halo 3: ODST
. Halo 3
. Halo 5
. Halo: Reach
. Halo 1/Halo 2
. Halo Wars
Wow halo 1 and 2 near the bottom of the list are u kidding me?
It wasn't as good as the advertisements but probably not as bad as people say it is. I think it won't be as bad if Halo 6 has a good campaign.
it was a -Yoinking!- disgrace the worst in the series and 343 needs to get their -Yoink- together for halo 6
It personally was a much greater story than Halo 4. I loved the campaign. Each level felt nice to play, and it had good pacing and progression.
They had a great canpain, it had amazing animations and other interactions that are new to halo!
I played it first on Normal and didn't enjoy it.
Then re played it in Legendary and thought it was much better.
Both times the story never really grabbed me though. The gameplay was good for me and kept me going for Legendary.
I also find in Co-op it's boring unless in Legendary or at least Heroic.
In this game you'll learn about the religion called stupidstoryism. All hail Cortana!
i personally really enjoyed the story, but it does have some flaws with it. just a few things changed around or even explained, and would have made a world of difference.

only real issue i can think of is maybe another mission with blue team that takes place between the two missions on genesis with blue team. explain how chief figured out what certain was really doing and such. it just didn't explain too well how he felt she needed to be stopped. beyond that its my 3rd favorite campaign.
I hate the fact that the story would be at the exact same point without the Halo 5 campaign.
Spoiler:
Show
Cortana would have attacked Earth either way, nothing happened to the Warden even though we killed him countless times, and no one died. Honestly, I would have preferred a depressed Chief and a dead Cortana.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4