Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Was Halo 5's Campaign Actually Good?

OP ShamanRhymin

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Gameplay-wise it's one of the better ones, I kid you not.

Story-wise probably the worst in the series.
The lack of Master Chief levels was the biggest disappointment for me personally. However I still thought it was a good campaign. The Sanghelios missions were pretty cool, the Arbiter and Buck returning was a treat, and the ending got me super excited for Halo 6.
gethtones wrote:
Campaign was good overall but not for a halo game.

-Story is a disjointed mess

-Locke(nuff said)

-Campaign levels are too linear compared to halo 1-3's open levels

-cliche "Al's taking over the world" trope. I wish more Sci Fi franchises that have AI would have the balls to NOT go that route.

-They are being too heavy handed with the whole "chief finding his humanity", & "dark & brooding" thing. Cortana should have stayed dead, let chief have his moment in H4 where we are hurting along with the chief and then MOVE ON. Going forward, those moments where we and the chief get reminded of cortana should be sprinkled in for effect rather than milking it.

-Blue team is criminally under developed. We finally get a game with blue team and they get almost no explanation for new players much less actual development, and the vast majority of the game is spent playing as a team of mostly new characters. What were they thinking?
Yes.
I found the story in DOOM(2016) more interesting than the one in Halo 5.

Make of that as you will.

Thats because DOOM had a good sweet and simple story.

Now if they did #Fightlikehell in the same manner as 343i did #huntthetruth...we'd be talking about how a cult has been secretly plotting to use the UAC to ascend their religion and bring hell to mars and only doom guy can stop them.

But you spend 75% of the game playing as Samuel Hayden watching Doom Guy's progress from his secured room. And there'd be ADS.
And the game would play more like the admittedly crappy MP.
I've written a descent summary of Halo 5's campaign here. I've had to connect a lot of dots for anything to make sense to me in the story, mostly referring to "why" questions.
Codes 208 wrote:

Now if they did #Fightlikehell in the same manner as 343i did #huntthetruth...we'd be talking about how a cult has been secretly plotting to use the UAC to ascend their religion and bring hell to mars and only doom guy can stop them.

But you spend 75% of the game playing as Samuel Hayden watching Doom Guy's progress from his secured room. And there'd be ADS.
Lol. At your description of how DOOM would've been like if it followed Halo 5s approach to storytelling and false advertising.

DOOMS story was the best because of its simplicity. It didn't try to be like H5 by trying to have needless drama and plot twists to try and be edgy. And the Campaign was nonlinear unlike H5G. Its EVERYTHING I thought Halo 5 was going to be, in regards to gameplay. I also like that the devs had the guts to not do the whole AI trope. But the opposite really. With Hayden and VEGA ultimately helping you towards the same goal. Though you could argue Hayden was sort of a villain, but he didn't necessarily want to hurt the Doomslayer. And he's held back by the laws of robotics to not bring harm to humans. (Although... You just don't mess with the Doomslayer...)

I also liked how parts of DOOMs story was told through the environment like the old Halos. Halo 5 was a linear mess in terms of gameplay. :/

So far, my $150 purchase of the DOOM CE is worth waaaaaaay more than I payed for H5 at $60...
I enjoyed it
Codes 208 wrote:

Lol. At your description of how DOOM would've been like if it followed Halo 5s approach to storytelling and false advertising.

DOOMS story was the best because of its simplicity. It didn't try to be like H5 by trying to have needless drama and plot twists to try and be edgy. And the Campaign was nonlinear unlike H5G. Its EVERYTHING I thought Halo 5 was going to be, in regards to gameplay. I also like that the devs had the guts to not do the whole AI trope. But the opposite really. With Hayden and VEGA ultimately helping you towards the same goal. Though you could argue Hayden was sort of a villain, but he didn't necessarily want to hurt the Doomslayer. And he's held back by the laws of robotics to not bring harm to humans. (Although... You just don't mess with the Doomslayer...)

I also liked how parts of DOOMs story was told through the environment like the old Halos. Halo 5 was a linear mess in terms of gameplay. :/

So far, my $150 purchase of the DOOM CE is worth waaaaaaay more than I payed for H5 at $60...
Yeah the new doom was great. As for the bolded, he's actually a cyborg, not a robot. He still has a human brain with next to no modifications. He's just more passive as the CEO of AUC.
Codes 208 wrote:
Codes 208 wrote:

Yeah the new doom was great. As for the bolded, he's actually a cyborg, not a robot. He still has a human brain with next to no modifications. He's just more passive as the CEO of AUC.
Right, I forgot about that. Like you said though, he's passive. Due to his moral compass. I'd still like to think he'd abide to just basic laws as he still sentient. But hey? At least he's not trying to get vega and all the other AI to enslave humanity. Am I right or what? /s
There were actually some really good missions and well designed levels.

The story was just bad.
The story was good in concept but it was the execution of the idea that 343 failed with, there was many parts of the story that I liked but unfortunately for me there was a lot more stuff I disliked.
Yeah, I agree with you. Not every idea was bad, it was just handled poorly.
Ummmmm..... i thawt, like most people, the campaign wuz..... pretty good. Not great but better than ur normal average game. It's still a HALO game after all. My problems w/ it is like wut others have said. Like havin 2 fight the "Warden" over & over again got a lil old. None of the so called "problems" were actually BIG issues. Just really small/medium problems. The whole changing the controls COMPLETELY 2 ur normal "Call Of Duty" style run & gun shooters control layout. Not that it's a real prob either but it does take a while, believe it or not, 2 actually get down. Ever since Day-1 the HALO button layout has pretty much been the same. Even tho the new "Call Of Duty" layout is actually the normal default 4 most shooters. It's just my brain & fingers r hardwired when it -Yoinks!- 2 the HALO control scheme. So it took a lil while 2 actually make myself use wut the "default" shooter controls r n ne other shooter. There R other small things i can't really think of right now off the top of my head. The story did also struggle n a couple spots 2. I just can't remember wut they were at the moment. I'll hate myself later when i think of'em.
no it was complete trash the weakest campaign of any halo game ! they completely undid all the story of H4 they destroyed jul mdama in a cutscene that felt super cheap
the Locke chief fight was horrendous and the overall play just felt very unsatisfying ! now if they could blend the good parts of H4 campaign with the good parts of H5 multiplayer while listening to the community then I have hopes for H6 but we will see !
Don't revive old topics, thanks, especially ones that are nearly 2 years old
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4