Weapon Tuning Discussion Thread

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 40
The Halo 5 weapon tuning update is coming Nov. 2! Read more HERE and share your thoughts and feedback below!
Well personally I love most of the changes. I felt it to be a bit unnecessary to nerf the Energy Sword, Grenade Launcher, and Gunfighter magnum. I also think the Frag grenade doing at least 50% shield damage within range wasn't too great either. The Energy Sword is meant to have speed, I know it wasn't too huge of a speed nerf but it'll still decide your life in some situations. The Grenade Launcher I never had any problems with, not too OP or UP. The Gunfighter Magnum was supposedly nerfed at long range but when does anyone ever use it at long range? If you're able to actually kill someone with that small of a scope at long range you should be rewarded, but when did you ever see anyone doing that? If someone was going long range with a loudout weapon it was either the DMR or BR, I can't remember ever seeing someone trying to kill me at long range with a Magnum, except with the possibility of early game, really early. My biggest problem is with frag grenades, 50% damage to your shields if you're in the blast radius? Seriously? That's basically a guaranteed kill if you throw two grenades and the enemy is barely in the blast radius, Infections going to be hell for the Zombies. Other than those four I disagree with I think you did a perfect job at balancing the rest of the weapons. Thanks for looking into some weapons even two years after release, can't wait till the Oddball update!

EDIT: Infection has been very different lately with the inaccurate bullets of the AR and the reduce ROF on the DMR. I guess you could consider the DMR a nerf, but I consider the AR a nuisance.
Randomness makes Halo 5 less skill based. Halo 5 is a skill based shooter. Please don't add random spread to the Battle Rifle and Carbine. Don't make Halo 5 less skill based.

Halo 5 is not a sim. There are other ways to make those two precision weapons less effective at long range, if that is so important. Why should some precision weapons have random spread, and others not?

Random spread was unwelcome in Halo 3, and it is unwelcome in Halo 5.

Halo 2 sword looks good.
I will be going over this, and getting down to the specifics of things soon. I just wanted to thank you all for this weapon update. I really like the idea of changing the meta of the game.

I have said it a few times now, but I wanted to say it again. I have really enjoyed being a part of this, and oh man that stream! That was the best Halo stream I've seen, and I've seen a lot of them. No thrills just in depth, and thorough explanation of things.

Good times!
I'm certainly impressed by the level of depth you guys displayed when going over the changes. The charts were a nice touch. I'll be sure to jump in over the weekend!
Thanks for the depth and transperency on this update. I’ll keep my mouth shut on the changes until I’ve had ample playtime in the new sandbox. I think most of these changes sound pretty reasonable though. It’s going to make it even easier to dig in now that I’ll be playing in 4K next week. Thanks so much for releasing the Xbox One X enhanced version at console launch.
Randomness makes Halo 5 less skill based. Halo 5 is a skill based shooter. Please don't add random spread to the Battle Rifle and Carbine. Don't make Halo 5 less skill based.

Halo 5 is not a sim. There are other ways to make those two precision weapons less effective at long range, if that is so important. Why should some precision weapons have random spread, and others not?

Random spread was unwelcome in Halo 3, and it is unwelcome in Halo 5.

Other changes look good, especially the new sword.
but everyone is wearing nostolgia goggles and so now they are reverting the BR to halo 3 BR (crappy). some of these changes are terrible.
Looking forward to try the new railgun
Since this is the official thread this I will repose what I said in another thread regarding weapons I had concerns with:

(EDIT: I did not see the point about the AR having increased headshot damage before so see my additional edit at the bottom, but I still think that shield damage could be adjusted as well as headshot/bodyshot damage so it's a bit less skewered).

AR: I appreciate the reversal they did with the accuracy. The version in the test tuning playlist would have been the most redundant and least effective weapon. Reason being that forcing bursts to stay on target would be futile against weapons that didn't suffer that same penalty (pretty much every weapon) and fights would come down to luck more than skill if two ARs would be fighting together. However, I think the damage might be a tad too low. From 7.8 per bullet down to 6.3 would mean this AR has the same strength as the Reach AR. So if I do the math (115/6.3) that means it will take about.......20 bodyshots to kill!! That is the lowest DPS than even the suppressor at a cold start! I get that going for headshots would lower the shots to 16 to get the TTK of about 1.24sec. But here's the problem, It gonna be outclassed by the gunfighter magnum and other Autos at its range. It is faster to spam the GF magnum with 3 shots and a melee kill than it is to get a 8 shot + melee! Same for the DMR and BR. That headshot bonus ain't gonna be too useful if the AR user dies before popping the opponents's shield. That RoF increase of only five percent doesn't seem to help it too much. People will just spartan charge at you and pop you in the head or body with a precision weapon before you can headshot them. This is not counting its gonna suck against Promethan Armor and Elites with higher shield strength. Making even worse in Campaign and WZ against AIs. I think we are gonna see a sharper decline of useage of this weapon in all modes once people realize it just doesn't kill fast enough against any other weapon.

BR: I do like the reduction of Recoil and tighting of spread. But I think it's damage should be slightly decreased so it is a true 12 bullet four shot. I have always found the 11 bullet 3.67 burst too forgiving and leaves room for error and some luck at longer ranges.

Splinter Grenade: IDK, did they nerf this grenade? Because it still looks too much like a panic attack nade that will instantly win fights or harm yourself. Might have to see how it turns out.

Grenade Launcher: Wow that looks way too slow to detonate and travel! I too felt that the GL was annoying to play against but this looks like you'll be sent to the grave attempting to preform a longer range kill. 30 percent seems too harsh. I would slightly bump it up to make sure its not moving slower than molasis. Appreicate that it curves less.

Carbine or CarBEAN ; D : Did I think it was too strong at a distance? absolutely. Does its Rof and range need to be reigned in? Yes. Do I think the spread added is a bit too much? Yes. Im ok with a little spread so its not perfectly accurate, but what could happen is fights outside its RRR could become more inconsistent.

SMG: Im glad they reduced it's range slightly and adjusted its bloom to not be too crazy. However I don't like the addittude behind this weapon being "keeped" in its place and not being very friendly to people wanting it to be something more than a CQB weapon. I disagree that its just a simple "spray n pray" weapon. Those havent existed since the introduction of bloom on autos. Pulsing with the SMG should be effective to about 25m. After that then it would require a scope or attachment that addresses its shortcomings. At least they didn't remove the headshot bonus. Because I do believe that a weapon like this should get its best DPS when firing an aiming better instead of firing all over the place of the enemy to get the same result.The rest I don't seem much to find issue with.

But I am flabbergasted that the Storm Rifle and Brute Plasma Rifle were not changed! Was it these weapon's ability to shred shields and kill very fast with a melee? Even 343 admitted that the Brute Plasma Rifle, while an interesting addition to the competitive sandbox, was too effective at stripping shields and would work on it to reintroduce it in a more balanced fashion? Seems quite a bit odd that they did nothing besides adding accommodations to it. Don't see why the Storm Rifle wasn't changed because lots of folks like myself found it too strong for arena setting and a friend of mine had evidence from this about a year ago about its unbalanced nature.

Edit wait a second, the AR has a 4x multipyler for headshots!! That's huge! Could even turn fights I thought it would suffer in and make them even! Maybe I would reconsider my observation.
Looking at the kill time chart and general complaints over a long period of time, how was the Storm Rifle never considered an issue!? Yeah, it has an overheat feature, but that can be easily bypassed. I feel like it's going to be even more of an issue now with some of these nerfed weapons.

Other than that, I look forward to checking out the new weapons.
I'm reserving judgment on everything until I've experienced the changes for myself. That said, I appreciate the transparency, especially with the terminology being explained. I do have a few questions:
  • During the live-stream and in the update page, the terms "aim assist" and "magnetism" are used non-interchangeably. Magnetism is described as making the reticle "sticky" and adding "friction". Meanwhile, its only said that aim assist "affects how ‘easy’ it is for a projectile to hit the target". Can you elaborate how aim assist achieves this and/or how it differs from magnetism?
  • Throughout both stream and page, changes to weapon attributes like rate-of-fire, base damage, and headshot multiplier are all given as percentages. Is there any way you can provide this data in a more digestible form like how the updated TTK was given? I'd like to get such relevant info straight from the source rather than a third party.
  • Similarly to the second question, can you provide numeric data for weapons' RRR in either world units or meters? What about graphs for the falloff range curves?
  • Concerning the Frag Grenade tweaking, "any Spartan caught within the effective blast radius is guaranteed to take enough damage to drop 50% of an opponent’s shield"... but what about when the player's shields are already below 50%?
These charts and in-depth information is really cool.. but seriously, what's up with storm rifle? Overheating doesn't compensate for that ridiculous kill time, heck the overheating has never really been an issue if you use it right.

Also, I think it's very misleading to just put "sub-optimal" for the zero-headshot kills.
I'd really like to see an actual value for "sub-optimal" based on actual averages rather than these idealistic non-scenarios.

The way it's currently displayed makes it seem like the autos are similar in kill time to precision weapons when non-perfect kills are obtained, but it's not at all like that.
The more bullets a weapon takes, the more leeway you have to miss for a split second and have it not matter, a higher bullet count implicitly makes the weapon easier to use.
The relative amounts of bullet magnetism amplify this effect even more.

In reality, the effects of non-perfect aim with precision weapons are far more devastating on kill times than autos.
Example: a couple split-second mis-aims from the magnum make a 7-9 kill shot pretty normal, yet those same split-second mis-aim moments with the AR may actually not make any difference at all, since the reticle is still "close enough" to count them anyway.

I'd like to see another kill time metric added to demonstrate this (averages or range of average across skill ranges), simply showing body shots isn't very meaningful.

Anyway, I like this blog post 100x more than how the initial changes were handled, these kind of statistics are just so interesting and really goes to show that an actual effort is being made with community interaction rather than the "black box" approach.

Really excited to try out the changes.

Some initial thoughts:
  • No clue what to expect out of AR, it's completely different and thus just seems silly when people give a strong for/against opinion already when it's not even out yet & they honestly have no idea how it will work in reality.. but I much prefer the design direction they're going with this time than first test. Hopefully the 200% headshot isn't completely random though
  • Very good to see the SMG no longer gets an accuracy/spread bonus from zooming.
  • The "headshot area" thing for DMR got me thinking.. this should really be a thing for sniper head shots, it's too forgiving and easy right now. We just saw the #1 team wasting all the sniper ammo at the last event because they knew it's the only way teams could beat them.
  • Very glad you got rid of the screen shaking with the BR, it just made it not fun to use
  • I have faith that you guys can come up with a better way to balance gunfighter than the massive recoil, it's annoying and not fun. The original gunfighter was so much fun, me & my friends all loved it purely for the feel.. but now the feel of using gunfighter is ruined because the recoil just makes it feel like one of those junky "rusted pistol" weapons you'd expect at low levels in something like fallout.
  • Not a fan of the reduced RRR of carbine, it's supposed to be a more long-range weapon. The spread is enough and looks pretty fair from what I saw on the stream but we'll see how it works out with bullet magnetism.
  • Sword will be so cheesy... and so awesome, hehe. Some will hate it, and I know I should, but I can't help but love how cheap the quick-swap is. Still better than speed boost in any case, hands down way more balanced.
  • Wow, so the frag grenades were actually random... come on, how did that get by QA?? Randomness is the #1 complaint about grenades in any game. Much better how they have it now, although some diagrams of it (and the 'static reticle'/'aim assist region') might be nice for the people who didn't understand what you changed... I think the on-stream attempt got a bit side-tracked ;p
  • Sub-munitions on the splinter grenade still needs to have a "delay" timer before they can do damage. Still looks pretty much 1-hit-kill from the stream.
The rest look to be about what I expected would happen, and only time will tell how they play out in reality.
Frist off, thanks for the "word" version of the stream. I can't watch a lot of streams as my data is limited and to be honest I like reading stuff like this more anyways as I would most certainly miss information on a stream.

Secondly, though I have mixed thoughts on doing a sandbox update this late into a games life, I do appreciate the effort of doing one.

I won't say much (much... LoL) as far as the weapon tuning goes, as I'll wait to play it for a while myself and I'll try very hard like always to keep an open mind .... But.... I must say, some of these weapon changes or the lack there of changes really perplexes me.

As others have said, why wasn't the Strom or Brute rifle looked at?? The amount of complaints I hear on those is ridiculous!! The Splinter grenade to me should do very minimal damage when it explodes and the lingering "stars" should do zero damage to heath, linger a bit longer and strip shields the instant they're touched by anyone. Forcing the player to decide "do I go threw knowing I'm potentially 1 shot from death? Or not..." The scattershot (or the Lottery Cannon as I like to call it) most certainly needed attention. That weapon i think has single-handedly taken the top spot as the more frustrating weapon in Halo history.

I already don't like, nor do I understand why the BR and Carbine have such lower range then the Magnum, Really?!?! A side arm weapon has better range then a rifle?? Shouldn't it be the other way around??? Again, I know I haven't played it yet, but geezzz....

I'll call it right now, people will not be picking up or using the BR or AR anywhere near as much now. The DMR will be the new "it" range weapon for sure. It'll be like we're playing Reach all over again. DMR's everywhere lol

I'm going to make a bold prediction here and say the Boltshot will get used a lot more now, the BR a lot less, people won't pick up the SMG as much now either and wait for it... The suppressor will see a lot more play.

Also, to be blunt, I don't see how the gun fighter magnum really fits into Halo (talking Arena only here, the real Halo mode of play) when you have the magnum already. Unless you put them everywhere on the maps or make it OP lol most people won't bother picking it up over say x auto or the regular magnum I think. There can be such a thing as too many weapons in a game (or mode of play in this case unfortunately) I hope you remember that for future titles.

Well, as I said, I'll do my best to keep an open mind here, but I think you (343I) should get prepared for some hate. Especially amongst AR fans I think. Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing the retuned Weapons and thanks again for attempting this.

Oh and one more thing ske7ch (honest lol) I know this is not fully related to this topic, but in the patch notes under "improvements and fixes" it say,
  • General stability fixes
This wouldn't be more stable connections with the dedicated servers would it? Aka less random disconnects for people? That'd be great news if so... Oh and, love the charts ;)
Just wanted to say that I enjoyed the stream, especially the discussion of the thought process behind the changes. This is the kind of transparency that will make Halo better.

Also it seems like there is a newfound commitment to community interaction, and that is much appreciated as well. Hopefully that continues.

And we got charts and numbers! I think it's great that those charts were included in the post and hopefully that is a standard operating procedure going forward.
I already don't like, nor do I understand why the BR and Carbine have such lower range then the Magnum, Really?!?! A side arm weapon has better range then a rifle?? Shouldn't it be the other way around??? Again, I know I haven't played it yet, but geezzz....
It's not saying that magnum is better than BR at range, it's saying that the average range tends to be longer.
This is because the magnum sucks at close range, not because it's better at long.
The BR and DMR are just much better at close range, which lowers the average.

I'll call it right now, people will not be picking up or using the BR or AR anywhere near as much now. The DMR will be the new "it" range weapon for sure. It'll be like we're playing Reach all over again. DMR everywhere lol
Reach had default movement of a snail, and much more open maps.
The DMR changes are interesting in a purely "numbers" sense, but the cramped corners and sprint/thrust/slide combo will make it much more situational, perhaps even too much.

As others have said, why wasn't the Strom or Brute rifle looked at?? The amount of complaints I hear on those is ridiculous!! The Splinter grenade to me should do very minimal damage when it explodes and the lingering "stars" should do zero damage to heath, linger a bit longer and strip shields the instant they're touched by anyone. Forcing the player to decide "do I go threw knowing I'm potentially 1 shot from death? Or not..." The scattershot (or the Lottery Cannon as I like to call it) most certainly needed attention. That weapon i think has single-handedly taken the top spot as the more frustrating weapon in Halo history.
I almost forgot about brute plasma, I wonder how they would even compare it to the other kill times, given how it's more of a "combo weapon."
And Lol @ "lottery cannon," this fits the scattershot perfectly. Could definitely use some adjustment.
It's not saying that magnum is better than BR at range, it's saying that the average range tends to be longer.
This is because the magnum sucks at close range, not because it's better at long.
The BR and DMR are just much better at close range, which lowers the average.

I'll call it right now, people will not be picking up or using the BR or AR anywhere near as much now. The DMR will be the new "it" range weapon for sure. It'll be like we're playing Reach all over again. DMR everywhere lol
Reach had default movement of a snail, and much more open maps.
The DMR changes are interesting in a purely isolated sense, but the cramped corners and sprint/thrust/slide combo will make it much more situational, perhaps even too much.
I definitely don't think the magnum "sucks" at close range... Harder? yes, but when playing onyx players and higher, people can definitely beat you close range. Now, unless I'm not understanding things right (very possible, a lot of information to take in) the magnum can hit more accurately farther away then the BR now. If this is correct, then to me this isn't right at all.

Agreed, the brute rifle is a "combo" weapon per say. It's just that combo works SO well and it's super fast. Feel free to use the term lottery Cannon bud, but remember where you heard it first lol ;)

...and I know Reaches movement system was/is alot different and the gameplay too over Halo 5, trust me I know. I've played all the Halos... A lot lol (been here since CE) I was just making a silly statement there is all bud ;)
Congratulations. You've made the AR a piece of crap.

The Frag Grenades, meanwhile, are going to be way OP.

I have some other minor gripes, but those are my big two.
Anyone bring up the Storm Rifle TTK yet?
These are my opinions/thoughts:

• The Active Camo power-up change seems decent; though, it can feel borderline overpowered when paired with the Abilities Tracker.
  • The Assault Rifle (AR) changes seem fairly good and I remain quite pleased with the basic direction that was chosen for addressing this weapon. However, it'd be nice if its vertical drift was less and Aiming-Down-Sight (ADS) provided a tighter max bullet spread compared to its hip-fire amount; plus, I wonder if it should have its Rate-of-Fire (RoF) and its bullet damage adjusted while reducing its head-shot multiplier so that it has approximately a 1.1-1.2 sec. optimal Time-To-Kill (TTK) while requiring two head shots to finish an un-shielded opponent instead of just one.
  • I'm concerned with the Battle Rifle (BR) changes. Adding horizontal spread was not necessary, I don't mind the individual bullet cadence within a burst matching that of the Halo 2 BR, but its optimal TTK should be a tad bit quicker and I don't understand why you reduced the hip-fire Red-Reticle-Range (RRR) to less than the standard Magnum -- they should be equal. The weapon should not be plagued by consistency issues relating to a stationary target until well outside its ADS RRR and that should be caused by the vertical recoil related spread effect and not a random horizontal one. The further spaced out individual bullets within a burst effectively reduces the weapon's consistency against mobile opponents which can increase its skill-gap. The aim assistances should be less than the Magnum at closer than mid-range, but greater than the Magnum at mid-range (see this post for more detail).
  • The Beam Rifle changes are good.
  • I'm a little concerned with the Carbine changes. Normally not a fan of random spread on a precision semi-auto, but I think the current random spread amount may be fine if it's tied to the weapon’s high fire-rate in a bloom-type fashion so that some pacing of shots (given it is a high RoF weapon) gives players an ability to retain its previous accuracy when not maximizing it's spam-ability. Further concerns relate to the RRRs and effectiveness of the upgraded, and more costly, REQ variants.
  • I'm intrigued by the Designated Marksman Rifle (DMR) changes, but unsure if the RoF that was selected is the ideal choice. The general reduction of its head-shot bullet magnetism and significantly reducing all of its close range aim assistance are good improvements; plus, a slower rate of fire is okay, but I think it could use adjusting because an optimal TTK that's closer to the re-tuned BR I feel would mesh better within the sandbox.
  • The introduction of the Relic Sword is pretty awesome as it basically marks the return of the Halo 2 Sword to the franchise except with a zoom range aspect which I like.
  • The Frag Grenade changes have felt mostly okay, but the amount of damage at the fringe of the shorter blast radius can, at times, feel cheap.
  • The Fuel Rod Cannon (FRC) changes are fine; though, I'm more concerned about how these changes will impact the effectiveness of the upgraded REQ variants. The upgraded FRCs are already questionable choices in comparison to other similarly priced (REQ cost) weapon choices, so lessening their effectiveness even more so doesn't make too much sense.
  • The Grenade Launcher changes seem to be okay; though, did the Pro Pipe REQ variant really require the same nerfing? Again, it doesn't make sense when considering its usefulness verse other similarly priced REQ items and when you consider that it should be a noticeable upgrade from the regular Grenade Launcher.
  • The Gunfighter Magnum changes are interesting. I'm not a fan of the amount of vertical drift, but I'm at least thankful that crouching appears to noticeably reduce it and it only feels like it drifts within its higher rate of fire. I am glad that the artificial spread was significantly toned down from the tuning test; though, why wasn't it fully eliminated since the weapon has to deal with vertical drift? The increased damage paired with its RoF should make this weapon useful up close and the vertical drift may present the right balance to keep it in its intended role. I'm glad this weapon has some stand-alone value again instead of being pigeonholed into a meager secondary role like the tuning test version.
  • The Splinter Grenade change is okay, but lacked the full nerf I think it required. I was under the impression that the whole purpose for addressing this grenade was to remove the automatic panic toss for a kill aspect and to instead make sure its purpose was focused strictly on its temporary area of denial aspect -- that wasn't completely accomplished with this change. I don't think a fully healthy player should be killed by this grenade even if they get hit by every lethal aspect of it including its initial impact explosion -- players should still have a tiny sliver of health left. The grenade's purpose and focus should be on its temporary area of denial aspect which means that it should linger a tad bit longer and cause players to contemplate and weigh the risk/reward aspect of passing through the equivalency of a survivable mine-field that'll make them incredibly vulnerable because their shields would be striped and their health would be severely impacted.
  • The Railgun changes are interesting. In one way the weapon is actually easier to use as a mobile OSK weapon; though, that's not what you stated was your goal, but the trade-off is that players will have to perform even more pre-charging then in the past as it takes longer to charge then the pre-tuned version. These changes have felt like a good balance strike for the weapon. Also, I'm glad to know that the REQ variants won’t be similarly affected.
  • I feel like the Sub-Machine Gun (SMG) got nerfed too severely. I thought that the tuning test version introduced one good change with the larger default hip-fire spread. I didn't like hearing that the head-shot multiplier had been removed so I'm glad that's been brought back even if it's at a reduced amount. The current damage reduction is a bit too much; though, some reduction would've been fine. I think the reticle magnetism, bullet magnetism, and RRRs were the most important reductions; especially, these magnetism aim assistances at ADS range. By giving the weapon the initial larger default spread (from the hip-fire position) it would force players to use the more accurate ADS spread for improved efficiency, but that also requires more skill since you can be de-scoped. I feel a 1.0 TTK would be appropriate for this CQC weapon.
  • The Banshee required a tweak, but I'm unsure if the one it got was ideal. In my opinion, it should have received a cool-down meter. Give the standard banshee the potential to enact 3 to 4 flips in fairly immediate succession before the meter caused the mechanic to require a lengthy cool-down. If a pilot is able to pace their use of the mechanic they shouldn't encounter the cool-down effect. This introduces a new sense of skill and difficulty of use without truly hampering the vehicle.
Overall, I just want to say thank you for all the hard work and effort you've put towards trying to improve the game. Seriously appreciate all of you working to keep Halo the best FPS franchise in all of gaming.

@Ske7ch - I do have a couple questions pertaining to the RRR appendix chart.

• Why doesn't the chart include the weapon's ADS RRR combined with the hip-fire RRR and can you provide an updated chart that includes ADS RRR?
eLantern wrote:
These are my opinions on what I heard and saw within the stream; plus, read within the blog post:

• The Active Camo power up seems good.
  • The AR changes seemed good and I'm generally excited to try it out.
  • I'm concerned with the BR changes. I think the random horizontal spread amount is still a bit too much and I don't understand why you'd reduce the hip-fire RRR. It shouldn't be less than the standard Magnum as they should be equal. While some horizontal spread is fine I think the weapon will continue to be plagued by consistency issues within its mid-range role due to the degree of random spread. I think the Magnum will crap all over this weapon at pretty much all ranges except in cases where someone lands 6 bullets with two pulls of the trigger and follows-up with a melee for the kill.
  • The Beam Rifle changes will be good.
  • I'm concerned with the Carbine changes. I think the spread should have been tied to the weapon’s fire-rate, so that by pacing the weapon's shots somewhat (given its a high rate of fire weapon) players would have some ability to retain it's previous accuracy when the weapon isn't spammed. Also, why again has the hip-fire RRR been reduced to less than the standard Magnum -- they should be equal. It seems like the standard Magnum will also out class this weapon beyond closer ranges. Further concern relates to these changes affecting the effectiveness of its more costly REQ variants.
  • I'm unsure about the DMR changes. The reduction of head-shot bullet magnetism is good and a slower rate of fire might be okay, but I am again concerned about the hip-fire RRR if it becomes less than the standard Magnum as they should be equal. While I thought the 2-shot + melee for a kill could have been altered into a 3-shot + melee to lessen its effectiveness within CQC I suppose the chosen changes may work out fine. I'll be looking forward to targeting the pick-up of this weapon on the battlefield to get a better feel for its overall effectiveness.
  • The Relic Sword seems awesome. Basically, it's the return of the Halo 2 sword except with a zoom range aspect.
  • The Frag Grenade changes appear okay.
  • The Fuel Rod Cannon changes could prove good; though, I'm a bit concerned about how these changes will impact the effectiveness of the REQ variants? The upgraded Fuel Rod Cannons are already questionable choices in comparison to other similarly priced (REQ cost) weapon choices, so lessening their effectiveness even more so doesn't make much sense to me.
  • The Grenade Launcher changes might be okay; though, did the Pro Pipe REQ variant really require the same nerfing? Again, it doesn't make sense when considering its effectiveness and usefulness verse other similarly priced REQ items.
  • The Gunfighter Magnum changes are interesting. While I'm not the biggest fan of the amount of vertical drift I'm at least thankful that crouching appears to significantly reduce it plus I'm glad that the random spread was toned down from the testing playlist. The increased damage paired with its rate of fire should make this weapon a force up close and, in all fairness, because of that it may be well balanced with the current vertical drift. I'm kind of excited to try it out.
  • The Splinter Grenade changes were a bit disappointing within the stream. I thought the whole purpose for addressing this grenade was to remove the automatic panic toss for a kill aspect to instead make sure its primary use was focused strictly on its temporary area of denial aspect. It didn't appear as if that was accomplished with the change. The concept should be that even if you get hit by the grenade and absorb the initial explosion plus all the splinter shards that you'll still have a tiny sliver of health left. The grenade's purpose and focus should be on its temporary area of denial aspect, so it shouldn't outright kill a fully shielded player by itself which means that it should cause players to contemplate and weigh the risk/reward aspect of passing through the equivalency of a survivable mine-field that'll make them incredibly vulnerable.
  • The Railgun changes seem pretty good; though, I think it actually makes the weapon easier to use as a mobile OSK weapon verses what the stated goal appeared to be for the weapon. It'll be interesting to experience this weapon's changed from both perspectives (using it and having it used against you). Also, I'm glad to know that the REQ variants won’t be similarly affected.
  • I have mixed feelings on the SMG change. I thought that the tuning test version was pretty good, but I didn't like hearing that the head-shot multiplier had been removed. So, I'm glad that's been brought back; however, I'm not greatly pleased with the damage reduction. I think the bullet magnetism and ranges just needed to be reduced while increasing the initial spread from the hip-fire position like how the tuning test had. Nevertheless, I look forward to trying it out.
Overall, I just want to say thank you for all the hard work and effort you've put towards trying to improve the game. Seriously appreciate all of you working to keep Halo the best FPS franchise in all of gaming.
I have to say that my biggest issue with the earlier tuning test was the changes to the BR. They made the weapon unnecessarily difficult to use for people who weren't avid H3 players, given that they were making that change to emulate that particular version of the weapon. I personally think that they should be trying to go more for the balance that the BR had in H4 where it was a competent weapon at all ranges, but it came up short at long range against the DMR and was normally at somewhat of a disadvantage up close against the AR, but dominated in the mid range. With this new change they're making, they're removing its ability to compete with other weapons outside a very selective distance. In conclusion, what I think should be done with the BR is either it should be set at the level it was in H4 (ideally) or at the very least kept at the levels that it is currently.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 40