Been a busy week and it took me a while to try all the new changes sufficiently. But now that I have, boy do I have some comments... First a few general ones about the weapons:
- BR - severely weakened but usable at short-to-mid-ranges. Magnum is better overall, but BR still works well in a narrow range window. I liked the old BR better, but this one has some niche uses in arena maps, and is worth carrying for cleanup kills.
- AR - too much headshot damage, but I appreciate that it's no longer as much of a "melt machine" in the hands of noobs. Positive change.
- SMG - also a positive change. This thing was way OP before.
- Carbine - this gun is just awful now. Loses to the BR at medium ranges, but not good enough at long ranges to get consistent kills. You REALLY feel the random spread on this gun, and it feels terrible.
- DMR - just feels really weird... I don't like it but I also can't quite figure it out. The reticle-magnetism seems to vary wildly with range, which is not a good property... you want the reticle magnetism of a weapon to feel linearly consistent across ranges, otherwise it just throws off your aim badly. The pre-nerf DMR was OP, for sure. I think the correct solution would just have been to slow the fire rate of the old DMR, and slightly less headshot magnetism, but keep the other properties.
- Camo - holy crap this thing is OP now. A slight buff was needed but this may have gone too far. The biggest problem now is how fast the full camo effect returns after you shoot him. you can get a camo guy 1-shot, but if they hide for half a second they're basically impossible for anyone to find again.
- Nade launcher and fuel rod - these nerfs probably went a little too far. I'd prefer a middle ground...
------More importantly though, let's separately break down how these "tunings" affect Arena and WZ (I don't play enough BTB to comment intelligently).
Overall, the weapon changes have shifted priorities for map-pickups, but the game still plays fairly well. The H5 Magnum is effective at most ranges you encounter in arena maps, and appropriately powered for most of the angles and sight lines (just like in HCS). The BR is no longer worth going out of your way for, whereas the storm rifle, brute plasma, and LR are now super powerful. The LR isn't quite as OP cause it doesn't have a ton of starting ammo, but the two plasma weapons need to be treated as high-tier power weapons. They're both MUCH better than the nade launcher, and comparably good to the shotgun, if not better... I honestly don't understand why the nade launcher got such a huge nerf... The current version is less good than the plasma pistol in Arena, yet has way less ammo. Also, the sniper (and to some extent rockets) is much more powerful because of the nerfs to BR, Carbine, and DMR. so there are fewer weapons on the map to de-scope or counter a sniper.
TL;DR - Arena plays fine with the new tunings, but the Metagame has definitely shifted even more to controlling power weapons (including the LR and storm rifles), and slightly away from fast-paced aggressive play. I liked the old way better, but i can tolerate the new way.
Oh man... here I go. I think these weapon nerfs have made WZ games entirely un-enjoyable, un-balanced, slow-paced
, drawn-out slogs that grind to the close without exciting developments. I absolutely hate what they have done to WZ, and I think the population (at least at my high MMR range) has taken a hit as a result.
- Most importantly, nerfs to the BR, Carbine, and DMR, have essentially buffed the -Yoink- out of light vehicle REQs (ghosts, warthogs, wasps), close-range REQs (storm rifles, shotguns, rockets, saws), railguns, and snipers. It's simply no longer possible to control any sight-lines or suppress snipers on a WZ map unless you have a power weapon or vehicle, because the new BR is so bad at range. Maybe it's possible to do something with a DMR, but that weapon feels so clunky, and isn't available until L6 anyway.
- As a result, it's even harder than before to shift momentum or mount a comeback in a WZ game after a team caps the middle base and gets the first wasps, ghosts, and snipers out. Sanctum, Noctus, and ARC are especially toxic now, because they have such long sight lines and so much open space, it's now virtually impossible to dislodge a team who gets set up with power positions and vehicles - the BR is too weak to do anything now. The H2BR helps a bit, but its range is still too short, plus not everyone has it (and many folks don't like the way it feels, either).
- Nerfing the banshee (which I believe was actually too harsh a nerf - see my reasoning in threads one, two, and three) also makes it harder to mount a comeback, and makes WZ less interesting and exciting. Previously the banshee was the ONE counter you could call when a team got set up with snipers on the high ground, and ghosts/wraiths roaming the ground. Now the banshee is almost worthless because it's instantly destroyed (can't flip often enough to evade).
- L5-L7 Banshees are now way outclassed by L2-L4 plasma pistols, L4-L5 lasers, L4-L5 Railguns, L3 oni hogs, AA wraiths, L5-L7 mantises, L5 rockets, L6 Hannibal Wasps. Why on earth would you spend 6-7 REQ energy only to get instantly destroyed or hijacked by someone with a L3-L4 REQ? And I'm a good banshee pilot, too.
- Nerfed Bood of Suban, pro-pipe, and fuel rod - now are way outclassed by other L4 REQs (railguns, blaze, ghost ultra, wasp, voids, camo, etc.)
- Nerfed BRs are outclassesd by everything.
TL;DR - Warzone plays terribly with the new settings, IMO. You can tell by my record that I have played more than a little WZ... but these tunings may send me back to arena permanently. :-/ Very sad because WZ games were often crazy fun close games.... but now they are pretty boring (if you're winning) or frustrating (if you're losing) affairs.
when you Nerf....it never stops. Now weapons like the Storm Rifle and Light Rifle are timed call outs. Then complaints will start to build on those and they are subject for the next nerf. Soon your 14 turns into 31 weapon changes 4 months later on a subject that didn't have the community up in arms. Honestly if you did no changes to all weapons and built 2 new Dev maps for Arena 4's/ BTB/ and maybe one new WZ map I feel it would have been a better use of time.
^^ This is so true. It's exactly what I'm getting at in my above comments. The game was in a reasonably balanced state before, now WZ (and perhaps BTB) are totally out of whack, with the maps far too large for the weapon functionality, and the weapon and vehicle sandbox totally unbalanced for the way those maps play. Why 343 would turn this game upside down after 2 years, I will never understand... This game is no longer H5, it's something new and worse.