Weapon Tuning Test - Phase Two Feedback - 9/11

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 60
Beginning today, Monday, Sept. 11, the Weapon Tuning Test playlist is now live in Halo 5! Jump in to this updated version of Team Arena to help us test out new tuning changes! By simply playing, you will help us gather critical data as we analyze the impact and outcome of these changes. However we also welcome your feedback right here in this official thread!

The "Weapon Tuning Test" playlist will remain active until Monday, Oct. 2. At that point, it will revert back to the original version of Team Arena as the team makes any necessary internal refinements based on data and feedback before the final changes go live in November. Stay tuned for more info in the weeks to come.

For additional details about the Weapon Tuning Test please refer to this BLOG POST.

Thank you for your participation and support!
Just out of curiosity did the maps receive any weapon placement tweaks? Specifically, in regards to replacing the regular Gunfighter Magnums on the maps which were redundant anyways since we spawn with extended magazine Gunfighter Magnums. It'd sure be nice to be able to pick up a regular Assault Rifle on all of the maps in order to get a better feel and experience with that particular weapon and I thought replacing those regular Gunfighter Magnums with regular Assault Rifles would make the most sense.
Everything feels ok, but its just BR time all the time. I like variety my dudes. Throw in more weapons. And also h2 and h3 were BR simulatiors let's be honest they were so don't make the BR op or just the best choice in every situation
eLantern wrote:
Just out of curiosity did the maps receive any weapon placement tweaks? Specifically, in regards to replacing the regular Gunfighter Magnums on the maps which were redundant anyways since we spawn with extended magazine Gunfighter Magnums. It'd sure be nice to be able to pick up a regular Assault Rifles on most maps in order to get a better feel and experience with that particular weapon and I thought replacing those regular Gunfighter Magnums with regular Assault Rifles would make the most sense.
There was few weapon placement changes made when the September-October season did start. I recommend reading one of the most recent news articles about the changes.
The BR for some reason shoots weirdly slow and I don’t like it. People have way to much time to find cover and I end up not finishing my kills. But otherwise everything is great.
eLantern wrote:
Just out of curiosity did the maps receive any weapon placement tweaks? Specifically, in regards to replacing the regular Gunfighter Magnums on the maps which were redundant anyways since we spawn with extended magazine Gunfighter Magnums. It'd sure be nice to be able to pick up a regular Assault Rifle on all of the maps in order to get a better feel and experience with that particular weapon and I thought replacing those regular Gunfighter Magnums with regular Assault Rifles would make the most sense.
There was few weapon placement changes made when the September-October season did start. I recommend reading one of the most recent news articles about the changes.
I'm aware of the initial changes they made. I'm asking if they made any new minor tweaks based on the feedback they received since the Team Arena playlist went through the first phase update. Some of the information mentioned in the feedback forum was that there were limited opportunities to test and try out the Assault Rifle so I was hoping there'd be some small tweaks to make it more readily available.
I can't be the only one thinking this: Are you going to share the exact details of these changes? The descriptions given here are nebulous and don't explain the specific changes being made:

Quote:
ASSAULT RIFLE
The iconic AR is a fully automatic weapon that’s fairly effective at mid-range via burst-firing, but more effective at close-range when the trigger is held down. The weapon tuning changes to the AR are designed to reward more skillful use. If you recall, back in April, we revealed there wasn't much difference between a Diamond level player and a Champion level player in regards to AR effectiveness.
This retuned version should be more rewarding when used effectively and hopefully more balanced when battling players that are wielding different weapons.

BATTLE RIFLE
The Battle Rifle is another iconic Halo weapon that’s known for high-accuracy burst fire and exceling at mid-range combat. Currently the Halo 5 BR is a bit too effective at all ranges, so the tuning update is designed to help better distinguish its prowess in mid-range engagements. This isn't to say that the BR will outright lose any fight in close or longer ranges either - an accurate player who lands their shots should be able to have a fighting chance even at close-range. This is something we'll be monitoring closely.

CARBINE
The Carbine is a highly-accurate, fast-firing semi-automatic weapon that’s great at suppressing opponents and cleaning up kills. Today in Halo 5, the Carbine is overly effective at long range, so the upcoming tuning update changes are aimed at strengthening its role as a rapid-fire suppression rifle without being dominant and oppressive from far distances.

DMR
The Designated Marksman Rifle is an accurate, semi-automatic weapon that’s designed to shine in long-range combat while being less effective at mid-range and even less so at close-range. Currently the DMR is living outside that intended role. The desired tuning adjustments to the DMR are to strengthen its place in the sandbox as the long-range marksman weapon that’s very capable of attacking far away opponents but isn’t as dominant in close-quarters engagements.

GUNFIGHTER MAGNUM
The Gunfighter Magnum fills the role of a fast-firing, semi-automatic sidearm with medium accuracy that excels at close-range. This weapon generally performs as intended, but the tuning update is directed at making the weapon slightly less effective at longer ranges, so that it really stands out as a close-range weapon that can go toe-to-toe with other close-range weapons with some accurate shooting.

SMG
The SMG is designed to be a high-rate-of-fire-but-inaccurate-bullet-hose of a weapon. It’s intended for close-quarters combat, and to be less ideal at longer engagement distances. In the current sandbox, the SMG is a bit too effective outside of its role as a close-range weapon. The tuning changes to the SMG are designed to more clearly establish and cement the close-range role of this weapon.

ACTIVE CAMO
The lone power-up included in this tuning update is Active Camo. As everyone knows, the role of this power-up is pretty straightforward – when picked up, it makes a player harder to see! However, in some cases Active Camo is slightly less effective than desired, so the tuning tweaks are aimed at making it bit more of a valuable power-up for players.

ENERGY SWORD
The iconic Energy Sword is a long-time staple of the Halo sandbox that fills the role of a melee weapon that’s very effective at close range, and includes the ability to lunge at targets. In Halo 5, players that are wielding the Energy Sword also gain a movement speed boost that makes them more difficult to target, and an even more dangerous threat (especially if they’re sprinting). As it stands, players with an Energy Sword in-hand are able to traverse maps a little too quickly and close the distance with an opponent a little too effectively in some scenarios so the tuning tweaks are designed to address this.

BEAM RIFLE
The Beam Rifle is the Covenant’s answer to the classic UNSC Sniper Rifle, and fills the role of an effective mid to very long range weapon with a very fast rate of fire but with the downside of potential overheating. In March, Halo 5 received a small update that included a tuning tweak to the UNSC Sniper Rifle to make it a bit less effective when firing from the hip. The Beam Rifle currently has the same issue the USNC Sniper Rifle once did – it’s a bit too effective against targets when fired from the hip. The tuning changes being made to the Beam Rifle are designed to create parity with the UNSC Sniper Rifle update that went live in March, ensuring both weapons continue to excel in their intended roles but don’t over-excel in hip-firing situations.

FUEL ROD CANNON
The Fuel Rod Cannon fills the role of an explosive projectile power weapon with a high rate of fire. The projectiles’ blast radius, coupled with the high rate of fire, has yielded some problematic results in the heat of battle, so the tuning update aims to address that.

GRENADE LAUNCHER
The Grenade Launcher was an awesome addition to the Halo 5 sandbox when it debuted with the Monitor’s Bounty update in December. This weapon fills a unique role – it fires ballistic grenades which detonate with explosive damage after one bounce. As a bonus, the trigger can be held and then released manually to detonate the grenade and add an EMP blast which can stun vehicles for a short time. The tuning update to the Grenade Launcher is aimed at further establishing its role as a mid-tier weapon that’s versatile at applying indirect damage through creative use. This includes how fast the grenade travels, how it bounces, etc…

RAIL GUN
The intended role of the Rail Gun is a “sniper” style of weapon that can be charged up to kill an opponent from mid to long range in a single shot. Currently in Halo 5, the Rail Gun has excelled outside its intended role by being overly effective at close range, and as a snapshot weapon – instead of being a carefully planned, charging Sniper weapon. The tuning adjustments to the Rail Gun are designed to make the weapon require a bit more deliberate, planned usage in battle.

In order to keep these changes focused and prevent potential issues with multiple versions of the same weapon floating around, the re-tuned versions of these items will only exist in the specially designated playlist – you’ll be unable to use these weapons in Custom Games or Forge.
This is very vague. Will the BR still be a 4-shot? Are they lowering its RRR? How exactly are they changing the AR? Will the Railgun go back to being projectile? How do they plan on changing the Carbine to reflect its intended role? etc. etc. etc.
Hi there. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we must ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Lo que hicieron con el BR me encantó, me gusta más que el anterior. Algo que no me gustó mucho fue la Mágnum de Pistolero, me agradaba más sin el enlace inteligente y la mira está un poco más grande.
I can't be the only one thinking this: Are you going to share the exact details of these changes? The descriptions given here are nebulous and don't explain the specific changes being made:
Quote:
This is very vague. Will the BR still be a 4-shot? Are they lowering its RRR? How exactly are they changing the AR? Will the Railgun go back to being projectile? How do they plan on changing the Carbine to reflect its intended role? etc. etc. etc.
It's vague on purpose. They don't want to create any influential biases during the testing phase. See Ske7ch's comment within the HAZE OF GLORY community update:
ske7ch wrote:
Lastly, we want to help provide high level context and understanding for these tuning adjustments, but it’s also important to us that we can have a proper test and not introduce bias or skew the results. To maximize the integrity of the data and feedback for the test, we’re intentionally not revealing all of the nitty gritty specifics of the exact tuning adjustments being made to each weapon (and those finer details may ebb and flow over the course of testing).
eLantern wrote:
eLantern wrote:
I'm aware of the initial changes they made. I'm asking if they made any new minor tweaks based on the feedback they received since the Team Arena playlist went through the first phase update. One critical bit of feedback information mentioned that there were limited opportunities to test and try out the Assault Rifle so I was hoping there'd be some small tweaks in regards to that.
It's highly unlikely as nothing has been announced about changes since the season start.
eLantern wrote:
Quote:
It's vague on purpose. They don't want to create any influencial biases during the testing phase.
And they also said a more specific rundown of changes will be given once they are finalized.
This is not the way to fix the BR, the weapon is shaky and extremely inconsistent. It has been turned from a little OP to completely useless. If you play on a high ping connection like myself, achieving a hit marker is almost impossible. Also if you look at peoples post stats, consistently average accuracies have shot through the floor. The gun is no longer a precision weapon in this condition. I would rather not have the gun in the game if it is going to preform in this manner.
eLantern wrote:
Quote:
It's vague on purpose. They don't want to create any influencial biases during the testing phase.
While I can understand that, I don't like it unless they plan on sharing the details later on. As a longtime fan, I enjoy discussing the specifics of these changes rather than it being so nebulous. Hopefully they share those details after the test.
eLantern wrote:
Quote:
While I can understand that, I don't like it unless they plan on sharing the details later on. As a longtime fan, I enjoy discussing the specifics of these changes rather than it being so nebulous. Hopefully they share those details after the test.
I belive ske7ch mentioned that post test the changes made would be released to us.
The BR is awful, too slow and feels inaccurate.
The AR feels underpowered and has less RRR, also when using smart link the reticle has too much play.
The Gunfighter Mag feels ok, if you pace your shots it works perfect.
The SMG works better at close range than before.
BR feels good. Liking the changes so far. I feel the Gun Fighter Magnum should be changed to the default magnum. It fires faster than the BF, yes, but is weaker. The RoF between the BF and M6D and their TTK are more closely aligned than the BF and GunFighter...if I'm thinking about this right.
The BR for some reason shoots weirdly slow and I don’t like it. People have way to much time to find cover and I end up not finishing my kills. But otherwise everything is great.
BR changes don't sit well with me at all. Would've been happy with a reduction in magnetism, but it feels like they made the burst longer and added spread. The result is a gun that feels clunky and unreliable instead of balancing out it's power with a higher skill curve.
I completely agree that the weapon testing details need to be released. It’s only fair so people can understand how the new tuned weapons work rather than guessing the new changes! For example look at SMITE they always tell in detail what changed every update in their game. And it works wonders.

Also the BR is pissing me off. I used to be super accurate now I can’t manage it kill someone at all. I say keep the old BR just make it less effective at longer ranges.
1. Shoots too slow
2. Not accurate as before
3. Less skill required (in my opinion)
The BR is terrible now. It is super shakey. Shots don't hit and it is extremely inconsistent. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we DO NOT want these changes to take effect for the BR. Please put the BR back to normal. Do not put your own mix into the guns. We have been playing with the same BR for 2 years and these changes are random and not even needed. Please put the BR back to normal.
Just got ranked plat 6 on my alt, so here my thoughts so far..

BR feels like the H3 BR.. 3 bullets coming out in stead of a closely knit burst like what we're use to, so its possible for 1/3 2/3 bullets to miss in CQB since both of you are strafing and missing each other, which is why it feels like the TTK is slower. I feel like this type of BR almost forces you to team shot to bring down people quicker.

I like the idea of the magnum being using to execute somebody in CQB with its rapid fire trying to land 1 headshot, however when the target is shielded the magnum is very ineffective. So honestly I like the magnum as it is, however a more seasoned player might be able to put 2 bursts of BR and melee you and it kinda defeats the purpose of the magnum. This hasn't happened often to me, so maybe higher level players will be able to do this.

SMG is the king of CQB, I feel like it should have enough ammo to kill 4 - 5 players in its life of a game. That's all I got for now.

Edit: Is it possible that this could replace HCS starting weapons? Or is this just for a different playlist altogether?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 60