Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Weekly Story missions?

OP NacreousBacon95

It's been weeks since I've visit the Halo forums, and during that time I have been playing Destiny. I noticed that every week there would be weekly events such as: Story, strike, and raid (I'm excluding PvP, because Halo 5 already has that). So I thought "what if Halo 5 had that". This is what I came up with.

Weekly/monthly story missions: Every week, or month there would be a miniature campaign (the size of ODST) you play as your spartan, and you are given an objective to complete by none other than Palmer. These campaigns will be diverse, fun, and would give lore. Rewards vary, Easy:100 reqs, Normal:1000 reqs, Heroic: exclusive gear (random), Legendary: Full exclusive armor, and a gold tier req pack.

Firefight: This is basically like normal firefight. Choose a game mode, map, and survive. Except now you can play as Osiris, Blue, mix the two teams, or play as yourself with either team, and there is the option to raid a Promethean, Covenant, or insurrection strongholds with bosses being Scarabs, to guardians, etc.

Planet struggle: This is an open world experience. Every month a new planet is chosen to defend.Players must defend the planet, and search for enemies to kill. The top 100 players will be sent to a ship, and must destroy it. The player that destroys the ship, and the top 20 players will be given exclusive rewards that show just how Badass they are.
Hey, that sounds like a great idea. It reminds me a bit of the SO mode from halo 4. but with the req system in halo 5, you got more possibilities. awesome. hope, 343 is looking to that post ^^
I think it's been confirmed that no story DLC will be produced, which I think is a shame. The reason I guess is that Spartan Ops wasn't popular, but what else does one expect when you recycle areas from the campaign multiple times, introduce new areas and then just recycle those?
The Halo 5 campaign is dead, just let it go. If you aren't playing PvP, 343i doesn't really care about you.
The closest i could see to them doing this is adding challenges like in reach. Daily ones and weekly ones, and they have little objectives for doing things in multiplayer or campaign or even customs.
MonarchNF wrote:
The Halo 5 campaign is dead, just let it go. If you aren't playing PvP, 343i doesn't really care about you.
I think people tend to overreact to the campaign... I looked at it a lot like Empire Strikes Back. It ends on a horrible note with the main enemy (non-spoiler) now in almost complete control of the galaxy, and our heroes at a loss as to how to stop it. Could have been better (I think they should have killed off a major character along the way for dramatic effect, a la 3 or Reach), but otherwise pretty solid overall. Agree to disagree.

I do however agree with your latter statement... the campaign gives you, what, a couple of nights to play through for all the story / writing effort involved? More if you go for all of the collectibles, but even then... I did one solo Legendary run and had everything done within a week. If that's all that H5 had to offer, nobody would pay $60 for that game (maybe hardcore fans of the lore, but that's it). 343 cares FAR MORE about PVP players as that is how they can keep profiting off of the game, keep player's vested in their franchise, etc. A thousand times more re-playable than campaign, and a major grind for any competitive players.

The closest i could see to them doing this is adding challenges like in reach. Daily ones and weekly ones, and they have little objectives for doing things in multiplayer or campaign or even customs.
I agree. The problem is that in order to do proper story content updates, you HAVE to put in the time and effort to create a unique experience... I'm a huge proponent of them adding, say, a prequel three-missions from Reach starring Blue Team and showing how they came together (since that was a major gripe from H5). But weekly story content updates? Gives you Spartan Ops. Not bad, but certainly not good either, and most people just didn't care enough to keep playing them. There's no point in them wasting their time on that. Give the fans something to talk about, not complain about on the forums (which is what the latter would become). Challenges though... daily and weekly... that'd be sweet!
I think it's been confirmed that no story DLC will be produced, which I think is a shame. The reason I guess is that Spartan Ops wasn't popular, but what else does one expect when you recycle areas from the campaign multiple times, introduce new areas and then just recycle those?
This. Sorry, but it won't happen.
Isn't recycling good for the environment? Or something like that.
Campaign DLC wont be coming because

A - Campaign content takes a reasonable amount to time to produce otherwise it ends up samey and repetitive like Spartan OPS
B - 343 cant make a good post halo 4 it seems.

If there was to be a PVE experience in halo I would suggest it would be similar to Destiny's strikes, with modifiers on rotation, changing enemies and sections, kinda similar to the latter SPOPS missions. This would probably be set in the post halo 4, pre halo 5 time period before the plot went awol.