Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

What did you like about HALO 5

OP ProperThrower33

Many people weren't so keen on Halo 5 but what did you like about it?
I'll start:
  1. The multiplayer : although not many game modes I personally loved the kill feed, the weapons and the mobility
  2. The mobility : The bum booster, the sprint and spartan charge and the clambering as well as the ground pound I think added another aspect to the game.
  3. The Forge : Sooooo maanyy options and improvements from previous forges
  4. The custom game modes and maps : So many good custom maps and games
That's all that that I could think of at the moment.
Hmm... where to start?
I guess I should first say that Halo 5 is my favorite Halo game. (other than ODST)
There's just something about the game's look and feel that keeps me coming back, unlike most of the other Halo games. (all of which I still love, except Reach)
1. Campaign
The campaign was a bit lackluster, but it still had it's moments. Sanghelios and the Battle for Sunaion, Genesis, running down the massive Guardian when it arrives at Genesis, the Kraken and destroying it, Meridian (when you actually got to shoot), the Warden was fun to fight the first couple of times. I always felt that if they had put just a little more effort into Halo 5's writing, it would have been an amazing Halo campaign!

2. Multiplayer
The multiplayer of Halo 5 is my favorite Halo multiplayer to date. The maps, the weapons, and the mobility are spectacular! It's gameplay I hope carries over to Infinite. The boost, clamber, and sprint give opportunities to flank and ambush the enemy, like the time I managed to drop into the enemy team from a ledge and got a couple of assassinations before getting killed. It's extremely fun to jump into a sniper's hideout and catch them off guard.

3. Custom Games
Custom games are amazing. Nothing quite like joining a social server to cause a tiny bit of chaos. Or driving in a race. Or playing assassinations only. Or goofing around in Forge. Or trying and failing to blend in on a recruitment server.

4. Artstyle
Now, I have a few criticisms of the artstyle, but for the most part, it's pure eye candy to me. The locations are beautiful, and make me want to just stop and take in the surroundings.

Basically, Halo 5 keeps me coming back again and again. And I hope Infinite is similar, with better writing and a few tweaks.
Arena was a blast and going up against the warden on legendary was a blast aswell.
1) Forge

2) Customs Browser

3) Ranks. Haven't really had any real ones since H3 and I know Reach had one ranked playlist.

4) TrueSkill 2. Not perfect, but it helps.

5) Spartan Companies

6) Warzone/FF, although it needs a lot of improvements.

7) REQ's. They have issues, but they did create a lot of cool stuff to use.

8) Weapon skins

9) Assassinations. I liked the variety to choose from.

10) Some of the playlists that were created like H3 for example.

11) A few armor abilities. Ground Pound (cheesy), Stabilizers and Thrust (needs adjusting).

12) HCS. While it did seem a little over saturated with the coverage, I did enjoy watching the tournaments.
I can reveal that the features which fascinated me most in Halo 5 were the the missions Reunion, Swords of Sanghelios, Enemy Lines, Genesis and Guardians due to relatively fun vehicle sections or relatively open combat areas. Other than that, I have also got a lot of enjoyment from community made custom game modes, forge maps, the Action Sack/Castle Wars playlists and Warzone Firefight.

However, the game could have been greatly improved if Custom Games and Forge was open to players without an internet access, if it were possible to forge/play custom games on the Warzone maps and play custom and if it were possible to have the option to play custom warzone games with friends.
The biggest thing for me is Warzone. Over 3 years playing it and it’s still fun. Another aspect I love is the smoothness of movement and weapon handling, it makes you feel very much in control of your spartan.
The only things I don't really like are Warzone and Spartan Charge.
What DID I like? I still like it and still play.

It was hard to get into at first because it was so different. All the different models for the AR and BR overwhelmed me. Warzone is fun but still not "real Halo" IMO because of REQs. After playing a while I think this game really shines in the smooth gameplay mechanics and map design.
I wasn’t a fan of Halo 5, but the 2 things I have to give 343 credit on was Forge & Custom Browser, they are really good and while Custom Browser is good, gets tedious when Recruitment & Assassaination Towers Flood it
I really enjoyed the multiplayer it's one of the best Halo multiplayers thus far in my opinion. I also did enjoy the campaign a lot. Yes it wasn't what I was expecting but I still did enjoy the story and most of the missions. I do however, wish there was more of the Chief. 343 should have done a balanced amount of gameplay between him and Locke. Similar to how Bungie treated Arbiter and Chief in Halo 2.
I also find that the campaign, although not a great story, it was fun in parts and exploring other worlds was cool!
I also find that the campaign, although not a great story, it was fun in parts and exploring other worlds was cool!
Kinda have to agree on that, like yeah the story was a letdown, but exploring an Elite Homeworld, going down a Guardian & a once Glassed Planet have to admit were pretty awesome, If only the actual story was epic like the past titles
RedThree1 wrote:
Hmm... where to start?
I guess I should first say that Halo 5 is my favorite Halo game. (other than ODST)
There's just something about the game's look and feel that keeps me coming back, unlike most of the other Halo games. (all of which I still love, except Reach)
1. CampaignThe campaign was a bit lackluster, but it still had it's moments. Sanghelios and the Battle for Sunaion, Genesis, running down the massive Guardian when it arrives at Genesis, the Kraken and destroying it, Meridian (when you actually got to shoot), the Warden was fun to fight the first couple of times. I always felt that if they had put just a little more effort into Halo 5's writing, it would have been an amazing Halo campaign!

2. MultiplayerThe multiplayer of Halo 5 is my favorite Halo multiplayer to date. The maps, the weapons, and the mobility are spectacular! It's gameplay I hope carries over to Infinite. The boost, clamber, and sprint give opportunities to flank and ambush the enemy, like the time I managed to drop into the enemy team from a ledge and got a couple of assassinations before getting killed. It's extremely fun to jump into a sniper's hideout and catch them off guard.

3. Custom GamesCustom games are amazing. Nothing quite like joining a social server to cause a tiny bit of chaos. Or driving in a race. Or playing assassinations only. Or goofing around in Forge. Or trying and failing to blend in on a recruitment server.

4. ArtstyleNow, I have a few criticisms of the artstyle, but for the most part, it's pure eye candy to me. The locations are beautiful, and make me want to just stop and take in the surroundings.

Basically, Halo 5 keeps me coming back again and again. And I hope Infinite is similar, with better writing and a few tweaks.
Don’t I know you from somewhere? ;)

I agree with everything you and OP said.
The weapon balance is decent. Better than h2, h3, and h4 but not on par with hce.

Vehicle switching is a pretty good feature. Being able to switch from driving to shooting in a warthog without having to get out of it is pretty useful.

The forge is the best in the series. I'm not any good at using it, but the stuff that I've seen people make with it is pretty good.

The crosshair being in the middle of the screen is good. I don't like how halo 2 to 4 have it toward the bottom of the screen.
1. Spartan Locke - An overall great likeable well-made person of colour character who outshines Master Chief in every way possible
2. Campaign - The best campaign Halo has ever had to date and I played every one of them
3. Multiplayer / Spartan Abilities - Fast paced action, you can't go back now that we have sprint and things like spartan charge and ground pound
4. The REQ system - 343 have nailed the micro transaction system and I hope it returns in Halo Infinite
5. The Artstyle - Great looking highly detailed unique armour designs and the bright high saturated colours make for perfect spartan designs
6. Multiplayer Maps - 343's maps are well thought-out and sprawling with detail, there are wide range of map variety and the map remixes are great to twist things up a little
7. Aim assist - I honestly don't know how I can play Halo without aim-assist, it has made it much easier for me to get epic sniper headshots and kills. It's great that 343 are making Halo accessible for everyone and that anyone can get a taste of feeling like a pro.

I hope 343 includes all the features that made Halo 5 great like the ones I listed above and continue to expand on them in Halo Infinite. I would also like to see 343 introduce a female lead instead of the typical straight white male we get in a lot of video games like Witcher and Days Gone, and include an option to have a transgender spartan as part of spartan customisation. Halo Infinite should appeal to everyone.
1. Spartan Locke - An overall great likeable well-made person of colour character who outshines Master Chief in every way possible
2. Campaign - The best campaign Halo has ever had to date and I played every one of them
3. Multiplayer / Spartan Abilities - Fast paced action, you can't go back now that we have sprint and things like spartan charge and ground pound
4. The REQ system - 343 have nailed the micro transaction system and I hope it returns in Halo Infinite
5. The Artstyle - Great looking highly detailed unique armour designs and the bright high saturated colours make for perfect spartan designs
6. Multiplayer Maps - 343's maps are well thought-out and sprawling with detail, there are wide range of map variety and the map remixes are great to twist things up a little
7. Aim assist - I honestly don't know how I can play Halo without aim-assist, it has made it much easier for me to get epic sniper headshots and kills. It's great that 343 are making Halo accessible for everyone and that anyone can get a taste of feeling like a pro.

I hope 343 includes all the features that made Halo 5 great like the ones I listed above and continue to expand on them in Halo Infinite. I would also like to see 343 introduce a female lead instead of the typical straight white male we get in a lot of video games like Witcher and Days Gone, and include an option to have a transgender spartan as part of spartan customisation. Halo Infinite should appeal to everyone.
I get this overwhelming feeling like this is a troll... but I'm not quite sure. I think it has something to do with the Locke, aim assist, and campaign sections.
Looking at this day 1. Bare bone.

Today, There's only Forge which is the best it's been in the series, and custom browser which has been requested for quite sometime.

Other then that, Maps to me are lazy remixes of one another, lack of gametypes that were featured in previous games, customization options are a massive setback, campaign (the Last Jedi before the Last Jedi), BR and DMR got unnecessary nerfs in my opinion

The way I see it, Halo Infinite has nowhere to go but up. If 343 somehow finds a way to go down, then I can't imagine the backlash.
RedThree1 wrote:

I get this overwhelming feeling like this is a troll... but I'm not quite sure. I think it has something to do with the Locke, aim assist, and campaign sections.
This is obviously a troll. There is no way you played the Halo CE-3 campaign and said Halo 5 was better.
  • The BETA
  • JiP, since it was implemented more properly than in H4
  • The incredibly deep sandbox and its general balance; the REQ system's amazing weapon variants
  • The weapon tuning; however, it unfortunately left the regular H5BR and the SMG in some less-than-ideal states.
  • Treating the magnum as a competent and useful starting weapon
  • Getting back to a more strict balanced start concept (...not really available since before Reach)
  • The Spartan Abilities; though, Spartan Charge could use some tweaking
  • The Custom Browser
  • The Minigame label
  • More new medals (though some were sadly dropped)
  • Weaponry highlighting
  • Spartan chatter and location labels
  • Forge. The advances have greatly helped to strengthen the custom community as well as to allow them to reach incredible achievements
  • Spartan Companies
  • There are many Maps that I like
  • All DLC included at no additional cost! Thanks to a minor-ly invasive REQ system that doesn't exactly turn the game into P2W
  • Dedicated servers
  • Seat switching within vehicles
  • 60 frames per second game-play
  • Advanced control settings
  • Warzone was an intriguing concept, but the return of a new type of Firefight within this area of the game is the best aspect of it
  • The squad concept in campaign
  • Focused, Balanced, and Expanded Matchmaking preferences
  • The ability to Spectate and Observe matches
  • The Promethean Soldier and Goblin Mech
  • The Bronze - Onyx CSRs (w/ the most recent MMing updates)
  • The Matchmaker, Team Balancer, & TrueSkill improvements
  • The HCS competition, prize pools, and free viewership REQ packs
  • The Ball spawn influencer for Oddball and Neutral Bomb (Assault) modes

Sorry, but are absolutely sure about the Micro-Transactions mate?
I wasn't so keen on it.