What Halo can adopt from Doom

OP DARTH CEDIOUS

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
I know most people don't like to read long post so I'll do my best to not write too much:
No matter what you think about Doom and it's actual gameplay, there are a couple of things, Halo (and most other shooter) could learn from it:

• no sprint works, no matter what the "industry standard" dictates, please note that I don't want this thread to become an endless stream of "oh well I like sprint, get over it and go play MCC"-comments, I chose this this aspect exemplarily for any non-generic idea and that so many games are too afraid to implement because they are not "industry standard"; many people on here believe that, in order to get a fast paced game, you need sprint, that is not the case as Doom demonstrated, there a many other ways to achieve fast gameplay and yet, as mentioned, most people only see the industry standard and they see it as the only way -> Halo should be creative once again
  • FOV-slider, this is an important factor that many console gamers are probably not even aware of. Doom allowed players, even on PS4/XBO, to adjust their Field-of-view chosing any value between 90° and 110° (side note: Halo usually has a FOV somewhere between 70-80°, exeption beeing HCE and ODST with almost 90°) personally, I believe playing on a bigger FOV is much more enjoyable, but if you don't, don't increase it the FOV, thats the beauty of a slider, everybody can decide what he/she wants! -> Halo should offer more ways to create the best experience for every player
  • Smooth aiming, I know this will probably cause a wave of "they fixed it with an update, adjust your settings"-posts but sadly, it's not that easy for me and playing Halo 5 still feels "unnatural" while Doom is a perfect example of how a smooth aiming should feel like, once again, if you like the current aiming, it's all fine but IMO letting everybody decide what works best is the way to go! (maybe the next update might fix this issue for Halo 5, I have my doubts though..)
  • In-depth customization, in case you don't know what Doom did, you could change the armor for helmet, chest, legs, right arm and left arm individually (similar to Halo 3) and in addition to that, you could add scratches, dirt, and several paint patterns. You could even choose between 3 types of paint (glossy, matte, metalic) and set the intensity of the color!
No, just stop. We'll get people complaining that Halo is completely copying DooM.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Do not make non-constructive posts.

Spoiler:
Show
Customization took a turn to the worse with 343. Not only the loss of individual shoulders/breast/arm pieces but also the organization. Why not show all truly different armors (soldier, warrior, noble, helioskrill etc) and in a second step let a player choose the variant or pattern/style of THAT armour. You are not fooling anyone with claims like 400 armors...
Still not on board with the "no sprint" thing but FOV slider sounds great. -> could be a problem in terms of balancing -> I would just recommend 90°-95° for everyone.
Oh Ghostly wrote:
I can't wait till doom comes out so all of the whiners go play that game.
Couldn't agree more lol
Oh Ghostly wrote:
Couldn't agree more lol
Thank you! Have you seen dooms gameplay? It looks like the -Yoink- child between cod and h4. Insane melee kills and seizure inducing pacing. Watching it it felt like I was watching a discount gory h5 it's very similar. The customization is too much imo, dirt? Really? I'm all for Reach's customization but it seems like everyone wants to be able to customize their Spartans eye color, and underwear and wants them to have a hotline bling emote.
Racoon301 wrote:
FOV slider sounds great. -> could be a problem in terms of balancing -> I would just recommend 90°-95° for everyone.
well you can choose your aiming sens. so why not the FOV as well, I'm not too shure if having a fix FOV is the right solution at all, you will allways have people coplaining that it feels too fast/looks wierd (especially since most console games usually have a rather narrow FOV) and a slider offers the right experience for everyone
But I appreciate your support for bigger FOV :)
Oh Ghostly wrote:
I agree with you its annoying all the people who complain about halo 5 but never say what exactly for example with sprint i always see it ruined halo but they never explain why its bad and i always say go play mcc or since bearly anyone plays that go play reach and 3 on the 360 since everyone praises those games for some reason.
The irony here is that 90s shooters are becoming popular again.

Sprint was invented to help console games, which 15 years ago were purposely designed to be slower, to have some way of speeding the player up at times. With the COD series getting faster, and other shooters as well. And the fact that players are looking and asking for faster experiences, and that consoles have the power to deliver faster experiences at 60fps the 90s style shooters are seeing a resurgence.

How are 90s style shooters faster than 00s style games?, well for one, that don't have sprint, and if/when they do it doesn't activate a dedicated animation that lowers the weapon, secondly, they also don't use over complicated ADS systems. All things that slow down the pace.

Oh Ghostly wrote:
And given Halo 5's lower than every other major shooters' population problem. If more people do play DOOM, then it's only a matter of time before you find Halo 6 to be more like DOOM.

Like I said, Irony. I think it's time Halo evolved passed sprint.
  • Smooth aiming, I know this will probably cause a wave of "they fixed it with an update, adjust your settings"-posts but sadly, it's not that easy for me and playing Halo 5 still feels "unnatural" while Doom is a perfect example of how a smooth aiming should feel like, once again, if you like the current aiming, it's all fine but IMO letting everybody decide what works best is the way to go! (maybe the next update might fix this issue for Halo 5, I have my doubts though..)
Reading the bold portions makes about zero sense. Your claim is that letting everyone decide what's best for them is the best option, but yet the current aiming options are not easy for you? Everyone can decide what is best for them, there are more options to adjust your aiming in Halo 5 than probably every other console shooter, with more coming on the way if you checked the recent update.

Richnj wrote:

Oh Ghostly wrote:
And given Halo 5's lower than every other major shooters' population problem. If more people do play DOOM, then it's only a matter of time before you find Halo 6 to be more like DOOM.

I think the real irony is that Doom is pretty much Quake 3, and Doom never really had it's own multiplayer style, yet everyone keeps claiming that it did.
Oh Ghostly wrote:
Oh Ghostly wrote:
Couldn't agree more lol
Thank you! Have you seen dooms gameplay? It looks like the -Yoink- child between cod and h4. Insane melee kills and seizure inducing pacing. Watching it it felt like I was watching a discount gory h5 it's very similar. The customization is too much imo, dirt? Really? I'm all for Reach's customization but it seems like everyone wants to be able to customize their Spartans eye color, and underwear and wants them to have a hotline bling emote.
What's "seizure inducing pacing" supposed to mean?

Too much customization? What's wrong with making your character look worn and battered? Or Matte, Glossy and Metallic finishes on the colors? Or having patterns on armor pieces with separate colors from the armors themselves.

Hyperbole, but then again, you wouldn't have to use all the customization options, now would you?
Oh Ghostly wrote:
I agree with you its annoying all the people who complain about halo 5 but never say what exactly for example with sprint i always see it ruined halo but they never explain why its bad and i always say go play mcc or since bearly anyone plays that go play reach and 3 on the 360 since everyone praises those games for some reason.

Look up any sprint thread that has more than five posts in it and you're bound to find people who explain why they think it's bad. If you still haven't seen anyone, it may be because you do not want to see it.

Reading the bold portions makes about zero sense. Your claim is that letting everyone decide what's best for them is the best option, but yet the current aiming options are not easy for you? Everyone can decide what is best for them, there are more options to adjust your aiming in Halo 5 than probably every other console shooter, with more coming on the way if you checked the recent update.

Richnj wrote:

Oh Ghostly wrote:

I think the real irony is that Doom is pretty much Quake 3, and Doom never really had it's own multiplayer style, yet everyone keeps claiming that it did.
Well it's true, Doom was too early to have the same multiplayer Quake had, and there was quite some silence in the Doom franchise apart from re-imaginations for multiple platforms. Doom 3 came along and it was lackluster, going for a horror vibe. I also think it didn't make many waves multiplayer wise because at that moment, most games were like that. Or was it the Expansion that had multiplayer?

Nu-Doom is making waves because of the single-player, and because they're going more towards an arcade shooting experience. It isn't a modern shooter in the same sense CoD or Battlefield is.

One last thing to take into consideration, Doom may be more towards Quake style gameplay in multiplayer, but at the moment it looks like there won't be a Quake 5. It has been talked about, and if there ever is a new Quake, it's more likely to be like the Original, story wise that is. Unless of course there are major shifts in developer personel and the new ones want to make a Quake sequel to 4 and continue the Strogg story. So, Doom has adopted the Quake style that we otherwise would not have seen in the future. It doesn't bother me though.
doom just sucks so much, they have custom luadouts in an arena game lol
the current aiming feels clunky and imprecise to me, no matter what I do, it just does not feel natural, older Halos or Doom felt much more precise. So there should be two options, one beeing the current system for people who like it, the other should be more like classic aiming, it's really hard to explain, this post might help?
nekrulz wrote:
Only in the non-arena playlists.
So Halo 5 Spartans look like power Rangers but Doom doesn't? Oh yes, I always loved my super powered armor with a nice gloss finish. Really brings out the shine in my gun.

People dont only like sprint because it makes them faster, some people just prefer the option to sprint. Some people just like that you can run into and out of battle. FOV is fine, agreed, but in a competitive sense it doesn't make sense for one person who happens to be more adjusted to a wider FOV he able to see more on their screen than someone else. Are we not going to talk about loadouts, clamber, a perk system, none of that? Seems to me Doom learned more from Halo and Cod than the other way around (seriously, the assassinations are ripped straight out of Halo 5)
nekrulz wrote:
Oh you mean like Halo 4? herp a derp
So Halo 5 Spartans look like power Rangers but Doom doesn't? Oh yes, I always loved my super powered armor with a nice gloss finish. Really brings out the shine in my gun.
Never said Halo should copy every aspect of Dooms customization, but it should adapt the basic concept of an actual customization not just ~50Armors/Helmets with countless minor paint differences
People dont only like sprint because it makes them faster, some people just prefer the option to sprint. Some people just like that you can run into and out of battle. FOV is fine, agreed, but in a competitive sense it doesn't make sense for one person who happens to be more adjusted to a wider FOV he able to see more on their screen than someone else. Are we not going to talk about loadouts, clamber, a perk system, none of that? Seems to me Doom learned more from Halo and Cod than the other way around (seriously, the assassinations are ripped straight out of Halo 5)
I really don't see the problem here, we can set the aiming sensibility to a number between 1 and 10 and people don't complain about sens10 players having an advantage, if you're a comp. you will set you FOV as high as possible...
But even if you don't like having a FOV-slider, Halo should have a FOV of at least 90°, preferably even higher
I've never said anything about loadouts, the perk system or assassinations, none of this should be in Halo or Doom, I don't get why you start talking about it now?
The only thing that needs to be adopted is the customization. Everything else is fine and honestly seeing more -Yoinking!- about sprint ruins your credibility for this to be a good argument. Halo shouldn't just copy Doom because people like it.
No, just stop. We'll get people complaining that Halo is completely copying DooM.
Sorry I missed something, Doom 1993-Halo 2001... I think Halo probably already took stuff from it, as in being FPS, started w/o no sprint. Someone could probably list more, maybe another game beside Doom/Wolfenstein 3d that begin the FPS genre.
DOOM looks terrible and i don't get why its being brought up so much in these forums
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11