1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
S7Oracle wrote:
Halo 5 as I played it is a loooooong way from being Call of Duty, I mean, seriously. You've basically got sprint (I wouldn't say CoD, but whatever), and an ADS inspired mechanic (not CoD derived, again, but WHATEVER).

So a game has sprint in it and it automatically must merge with its rival franchise? Okay, well, let's just merge every single FPS on the market right now in to some kind of Frankenstein's game.

Yeah, great plan! 343i, you get on that while I get this straight jacket on the OP.
Oh, my bad. I thought both of these games had thruster packs, ADS, sprint, jet propulsion (sustain elevation after jumping), some form of "ground pound", sliding, slide-into-melee, non-controllable assassination (with a knife) animations, radars conveying enemies' whereabouts (both x and y-axis), flinch, nearly identical means of shot and grenade damage hit-indication systems, etc. etc. etc. and so on. Just because the companies refer to these mechanics by different names doesn't mean they aren't at least extremely similar. Hold onto the straight jacket though, because the list of commonalities will clearly only continue to grow.

Edit: almost forgot Clamber
S7Oracle wrote:
Halo 5 as I played it is a loooooong way from being Call of Duty, I mean, seriously. You've basically got sprint (I wouldn't say CoD, but whatever), and an ADS inspired mechanic (not CoD derived, again, but WHATEVER).

So a game has sprint in it and it automatically must merge with its rival franchise? Okay, well, let's just merge every single FPS on the market right now in to some kind of Frankenstein's game.

Yeah, great plan! 343i, you get on that while I get this straight jacket on the OP.
Oh, my bad. I thought both of these games had thruster packs, ADS, sprint, jet propulsion (sustain elevation after jumping), some form of "ground pound", sliding, slide-into-melee, non-controllable assassination (with a knife) animations, radars conveying enemies' whereabouts (both x and y-axis), flinch, nearly identical means of shot and grenade damage hit-indication systems, etc. etc. etc. and so on. Just because the companies refer to these mechanics by different names doesn't mean they aren't at least extremely similar. Hold onto the straight jacket though, because the list of commonalities will clearly only continue to grow.
The similarities are nothing more than similarities, in the games, they work very differently.

For instance, you couldn't just throw killstreaks in Halo, 343 tried a similar yet waaaay less exaggerated version, but I think we all saw the uproar when that was introduced.

343 tried what you are suggesting, it was Halo 4, and it was probably the least played Halo game in the franchise.

Let's not repeat history, hm?

Edit: Also, a lot of the stuff on your list did not come solely from CoD, the jet propulsion was first seen in Destiny for instance, and the thruster packs were in development before AW was even announced. Sliding I saw in Crysis first, and I'm pretty sure CoD's and Halo's assassinations are not alike at all (Does CoD even have assassinations?). Just because CoD popularized these things, does not mean they came from it.
Oh please Oh God NO!
Please, don't let this happen. I have a feeling it would be just terrible.
Hey, OP, I apologize if everyone on this thread comes off as harsh. But you have to understand that Halo 4 came as close to being a CoD game as Halo ever had been, and it is, without a doubt, the game that most Halo fans dislike with a fiery passion. Yeah, I actually enjoyed it (so shoot me!), but it is true that it didn't hold a healthy population.

The #1 thing defining Halo and CoD is kill times. In CoD, you get shot once or twice, and it's game over. Halo? You got, shields, you got bulk, and it requires a lot more precision and patience than the hail fire of gameplay in CoD games. Call of Duty is a much faster paced game than Halo. The two don't meld well.

As for sharing Halo with Sony, Halo is the flagship franchise that keeps the Xbox sales afloat. It's published by Microsoft Studios themselves, so I don't see Halo going to the PS anytime... ever. (Also, I need a console exclusive to throw back at my friend when he rubs The Last of Us in my face.)
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Hey, OP, I apologize if everyone on this thread comes off as harsh. But you have to understand that Halo 4 came as close to being a CoD game as Halo ever had been, and it is, without a doubt, the game that most Halo fans dislike with a fiery passion. Yeah, I actually enjoyed it (so shoot me!), but it is true that it didn't hold a healthy population.
I guess it just doesn't make sense to me, because when I look at Halo 5 and now Black Ops III, I see the most similar Halo and CoD to date.

I thought Halo 4 was awful too, but I don't think removing customizable loadouts and kill-streaks makes these two games more different. Sure, there's definitely some differences between H5/Bops3 & H4/AW.

However, clamber, ADS, and, sliding being added into Halo 5, brings Halo's core gameplay style and fundamental mechanics closer to CoD than ever been before. Sure, kill-streaks and loadouts are pretty clear differences, but they also now stand as the only major, non-aesthetic, differences left.

If kill-streaks were dropped from the next CoD after Bops3, and loadouts were added into H6, what real difference is there left to even debate about here?

To those of you whom are determined to outline the history and origins of these gameplay mechanics - I could not care any less where they originated. I'm simply pointing out the clear and undeniable fact that they exist in both Halo and CoD now. Why are you all telling me the franchise they first appeared in? How is that relevant to this discussion. It neither helps arguments against, nor any in favor of my OP's suggestion. You're just spewing random facts that bear no meaning whatsoever in this discussion, and the only thing I can think to explain why you're doing this is because you simply cannot face the fact that both CoD and Halo have been taking strides which have ultimately brought them to each others' doorstep.
coll9502 wrote:
I suppose the first part of this post is meant as a joke. The second part is clear and utter denial. BOTH of these franchises have taken pages out of the others' books.
MAX2107 wrote:
I honestly don't. The COD's are blending together, but Halo will still be it's own thing, even if it does borrow elements from COD.
Even Halo 5 really does not feel like CoD at all. I don't know if anyone else feels it, but I feel a weird sense of control when playing Halo, even in Halo 4, there is that sense of control and order...
Oh please Oh God NO!
And what exactly is it about Halo 5's style of gameplay that you prefer over CoD's? Or, what's absent from Halo 5 which makes you favor it over CoD. Your choices are so incredibly limited that I'm guessing it's either and or both kill-streaks/custom loadouts. Man, I mean, what a night/day difference!
MAX2107 wrote:
I honestly don't. The COD's are blending together, but Halo will still be it's own thing, even if it does borrow elements from COD.
Even Halo 5 really does not feel like CoD at all. I don't know if anyone else feels it, but I feel a weird sense of control when playing Halo, even in Halo 4, there is that sense of control and order...
I would love to hear people's reaction to playing CoD with Halo aesthetics. Considering we're now clinging to the "feel", I have a "feeling" the primary barrier or difference between these two games is now almost entirely aesthetic.
S7Oracle wrote:

1) The similarities are nothing more than similarities, in the games, they work very differently.
  • For instance, you couldn't just throw killstreaks in Halo, 343 tried a similar yet waaaay less exaggerated version, but I think we all saw the uproar when that was introduced.
2) 343 tried what you are suggesting, it was Halo 4, and it was probably the least played Halo game in the franchise.

3) Let's not repeat history, hm?

Edit: Also, a lot of the stuff on your list did not come solely from CoD, the jet propulsion was first seen in Destiny for instance, and the thruster packs were in development before AW was even announced. Sliding I saw in Crysis first, and I'm pretty sure CoD's and Halo's assassinations are not alike at all (Does CoD even have assassinations?). Just because CoD popularized these things, does not mean they came from it.
1) That makes absolutely no sense. They work almost identically, and most do function identically.

2) They had to ditch kill streaks because the way they tried to get it into Halo was incredibly stupid. The ordinance drops were completely random and not well thought out to say the absolute least. I think it's safe to assume the only reason they made the kill streaks the way they did in Halo 4 is because most of you would act like they committed a travesty if they didn't copy/paste CoD's kill-streak formula.

For some reason you embrace clamber and sprint, yet you act like ordinance drops was too much. Ordinance drops were the only truly different thing 343 has offered you yet. All these other "new" additions are nothing more than copy/paste mechanics under Spartan-like titles.

3) I truly mean no disrespect, but are you all blind? How is it that this community filled with people demanding evolution and full-out supporting copy/pasted mechanics, yet all the while trashing the one or two mechanics/functions, which 343i actually tried to put a unique spin on???

I'm absolutely shocked by the contradictory nature of logic displayed here. I don't care where these things came from. What does that matter? Does that change the fact that they both exist in these two franchises which we are discussing here? No! So, why are you giving me a synopsis of these things' wikipedia pages?

The #1 thing defining Halo and CoD is kill times. In CoD, you get shot once or twice, and it's game over. Halo? You got, shields, you got bulk, and it requires a lot more precision and patience than the hail fire of gameplay in CoD games. Call of Duty is a much faster paced game than Halo. The two don't meld well.

As for sharing Halo with Sony, Halo is the flagship franchise that keeps the Xbox sales afloat. It's published by Microsoft Studios themselves, so I don't see Halo going to the PS anytime... ever. (Also, I need a console exclusive to throw back at my friend when he rubs The Last of Us in my face.)
I agree, kill times used to be the primary difference between these two games. Are you sure they still are? Seems to me that standard CoD and Halo kill times are rapidly approaching a meeting point with one another. Seems to me that Halo is introducing a brand new playlist that is very much like "Hardcore CoD" in terms of kill-time ("Breakout" maybe?)

Sharing with Sony... Do you really think Sony and Microsoft aren't always sharing a lot with one another? How else do you get two generations of unique consoles that are almost ENTIRELY identical. Straight down the button layout on their controllers, the Xbone and PS4 are no more different than Sams and Costco. They are the same exact things with a few minor differences.

The only way this could possibly occur twice, is if they are sharing details with one another and their shared cross-platform developers. To act as if shared online experiences is an impossibility is simply naive. It's an obvious inevitability that will likely exist from the start of the next generation. Both charge almost the same exact price for their service and that was the only real divider between their inevitable uniting.

I don't know how more of you cannot see this, given it's occurring in literally every other facet of the corporate world around us, but MS and Sony already are partnered to a certain extent; and it's soon to be much more than just "a certain extent". These games will eventually be streamed. All of these games will eventually exist within a shared, integrated UI (probably as an open world experience). So many of you are calling for evolution, yet are blinded by names and titles from actually seeing the clear directions of your favorite franchise, much less the gaming industry at-large.
Hahahahahahaha.............get out.
Hahahahahahaha.............get out.
Excellent argument. Thanks for the input.
S7Oracle wrote:

1) The similarities are nothing more than similarities, in the games, they work very differently.
  • For instance, you couldn't just throw killstreaks in Halo, 343 tried a similar yet waaaay less exaggerated version, but I think we all saw the uproar when that was introduced.
2) 343 tried what you are suggesting, it was Halo 4, and it was probably the least played Halo game in the franchise.

3) Let's not repeat history, hm?

1) That makes absolutely no sense. They work almost identically, and most do function identically.

2) They had to ditch kill streaks because the way they tried to get it into Halo was incredibly stupid. The ordinance drops were completely random and not well thought out to say the absolute least. I think it's safe to assume the only reason they made the kill streaks the way they did in Halo 4 is because most of you would act like they committed a travesty if they didn't copy/paste CoD's kill-streak formula.

For some reason you embrace clamber and sprint, yet you act like ordinance drops was too much. Ordinance drops were the only truly different thing 343 has offered you yet. All these other "new" additions are nothing more than copy/paste mechanics under Spartan-like titles.

3) I truly mean no disrespect, but are you all blind? How is it that this community filled with people demanding evolution and full-out supporting copy/pasted mechanics, yet all the while trashing the one or two mechanics/functions, which 343i actually tried to put a unique spin on???

I'm absolutely shocked by the contradictory nature of logic displayed here. I don't care where these things came from. What does that matter? Does that change the fact that they both exist in these two franchises which we are discussing here? No! So, why are you giving me a synopsis of these things' wikipedia pages?
I suppose if you took out the much longer kill times, the hip fire accuracy, equal loadouts and lack of ordnance you'd have something much more akin to CoD.

Really, putting everything else aside, the things that make Halo, well, Halo right now are what I've stated above. And despite them not being a large list of mechanics, they still play a massive part in what makes Halo 5 play like any other Halo. My point on the mechanics being similar but playing differently goes a little like this in my head: You put two similar mechanics from each respective game on a white board, side by side, and it's clear to see that they are very similar, yes. But once you put them in the game things change, because of the fundamental mechanics of each game, it can almost completely change the way someone uses that mechanic. That's what I was trying to say.

And I do believe Halo should evolve, definitely, but, I think taking anymore from CoD at this point would not do the franchise any good. I don't trash CoD's mechanics, it's just the fundamental mechanics that you see shared with every CoD today would likely not work very well with Halo (Killstreaks, almost non existent kill times, customizable weapons etc, etc...). Really, I guess 343 could put them in a Halo game, it's possible, but I like playing Halo's multiplayer, and I don't enjoy CoD's multiplayer (not hating, I like the zombies, just never got on with the multiplayer).

Also, the point that Halo is using mechanics that didn't derive from CoD, is very relevant to this discussion, you're insuinuating that you want Halo to be like CoD, yet these mechanics are not CoD by nature, they were not created first for CoD, but like I said, they were popularized by it. So when you bring up Halo using a slide feature, I see it as Crysis inspired, since that did it first, not that it matters, really, I mean, staying on this point I could say, well hey! CoD has walking in it, thus Halo is similar to CoD because it also has walking in it! But what it comes down to is the fundamentals, and not messing with them too much.

I think the closest Halo you'll get to what you're asking is Halo: Online, but even then, that's going to have shields and hip fire accuracy as well.

Edit: Also, apologies for being a bit harsh, we're all passionate about Halo here, but there was no need for me to be rude.
S7Oracle wrote:
I suppose if you took out the much longer kill times, the hip fire accuracy, equal loadouts and lack of ordnance you'd have something much more akin to CoD.

Really, putting everything else aside, the things that make Halo, well, Halo right now are what I've stated above. And despite them not being a large list of mechanics, they still play a massive part in what makes Halo 5 play like any other Halo. My point on the mechanics being similar but playing differently goes a little like this in my head: You put two similar mechanics from each respective game on a white board, side by side, and it's clear to see that they are very similar, yes. But once you put them in the game things change, because of the fundamental mechanics of each game, it can almost completely change the way someone uses that mechanic. That's what I was trying to say.

And I do believe Halo should evolve, definitely, but, I think taking anymore from CoD at this point would not do the franchise any good. I don't trash CoD's mechanics, it's just the fundamental mechanics that you see shared with every CoD today would likely not work very well with Halo (Killstreaks, almost non existent kill times, customizable weapons etc, etc...). Really, I guess 343 could put them in a Halo game, it's possible, but I like playing Halo's multiplayer, and I don't enjoy CoD's multiplayer (not hating, I like the zombies, just never got on with the multiplayer).

Also, the point that Halo is using mechanics that didn't derive from CoD, is very relevant to this discussion, you're insuinuating that you want Halo to be like CoD, yet these mechanics are not CoD by nature, they were not created first for CoD, but like I said, they were popularized by it. So when you bring up Halo using a slide feature, I see it as Crysis inspired, since that did it first, not that it matters, really, I mean, staying on this point I could say, well hey! CoD has walking in it, thus Halo is similar to CoD because it also has walking in it! But what it comes down to is the fundamentals, and not messing with them too much.

I think the closest Halo you'll get to what you're asking is Halo: Online, but even then, that's going to have shields and hip fire accuracy as well.

Edit: Also, apologies for being a bit harsh, we're all passionate about Halo here, but there was no need for me to be rude.
No need to apologize. i didn't think you'd been rude. I don't disagree with you in that Halo and CoD have always been most fun when they were being their unique selves. All I'm asking is, if they're only going to continue becoming more and more alike, why keep them and their communities separated?

It's not JUST Halo taking from CoD, it's been a perfectly two-way street, and the traffic hasn't slowed down one bit since Halo Reach released. These two franchises are converging, and that statement is hardly even debatable.

I respect your opinion, and I appreciate you taking the time to come back after giving it some time and thought, but I think you are confusing illusions with reality. I don't mean to sound like a jerk by saying that either. Take sprint for example. It's been proven that sprint does NOT speed up gameplay, and generally tends to SLOW the pace of a game down (sometimes significantly). Sprint offers the illusion of increased pace of gameplay, and I think the differences between, say, CoD and Halo's clamber mechanics are merely illusions which are created by the drastic and obvious differences in each game's aesthetics and environments.

I think, if both of these franchises are going to continue in the directions they've been going for years now, they might as well not half--Yoink- and just do it all the way...join forces and run with the FPS throne as long as they possibly can.

Edit: I think the best form of proof that these games are falling into each others respective image is simply looking at map designs within both games. If the games weren't starting to play very much the same, then it's reasonable to state their map designs would reflect those different styles of play. That is, however, not what we see at all. We see map designs which now are nearing a point where they could be traded between games without much, if any, problem whatsoever.
MCC Graham wrote:
Lol
Glad you were entertained. Thanks for your constructive feedback.
They already have, it's called Halo 5.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10