Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] What if Halo & CoD United?

OP carltonhilson

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10
They already have, it's called Halo 5.
I think they're slowly doing it. Though, I think this "in-between" phase we're currently caught in is only doing both franchises harm.
What a great idea. Why don't we throw some Assassin's Creed in there as well?
Don't be ridiculous. Nobody could make that work. What Halo really needs is more Cooking Mama.
Oh please, if anything we need more Mario and Pokemon.
They already have, it's called Halo 5.
I think they're slowly doing it. Though, I think this "in-between" phase we're currently caught in is only doing both franchises harm.
Hm...No. No, I think the in between phase wouldn't ever end and both franchises would suck regardless. I'm not going to treat Halo becoming CoD (or really, CoD becoming Halo either) as a good thing at any layer of these similarities. If all you want is an Earth smashing Halo - there are hypothetically plausible ways to do this without merging the two together, as even that is no guarantee of quality.
It already happened when 343 took over via Halo 4.
It has begun.
S7Oracle wrote:
I suppose if you took out the much longer kill times, the hip fire accuracy, equal loadouts and lack of ordnance you'd have something much more akin to CoD.

Really, putting everything else aside, the things that make Halo, well, Halo right now are what I've stated above. And despite them not being a large list of mechanics, they still play a massive part in what makes Halo 5 play like any other Halo. My point on the mechanics being similar but playing differently goes a little like this in my head: You put two similar mechanics from each respective game on a white board, side by side, and it's clear to see that they are very similar, yes. But once you put them in the game things change, because of the fundamental mechanics of each game, it can almost completely change the way someone uses that mechanic. That's what I was trying to say.

And I do believe Halo should evolve, definitely, but, I think taking anymore from CoD at this point would not do the franchise any good. I don't trash CoD's mechanics, it's just the fundamental mechanics that you see shared with every CoD today would likely not work very well with Halo (Killstreaks, almost non existent kill times, customizable weapons etc, etc...). Really, I guess 343 could put them in a Halo game, it's possible, but I like playing Halo's multiplayer, and I don't enjoy CoD's multiplayer (not hating, I like the zombies, just never got on with the multiplayer).

Also, the point that Halo is using mechanics that didn't derive from CoD, is very relevant to this discussion, you're insuinuating that you want Halo to be like CoD, yet these mechanics are not CoD by nature, they were not created first for CoD, but like I said, they were popularized by it. So when you bring up Halo using a slide feature, I see it as Crysis inspired, since that did it first, not that it matters, really, I mean, staying on this point I could say, well hey! CoD has walking in it, thus Halo is similar to CoD because it also has walking in it! But what it comes down to is the fundamentals, and not messing with them too much.

I think the closest Halo you'll get to what you're asking is Halo: Online, but even then, that's going to have shields and hip fire accuracy as well.

Edit: Also, apologies for being a bit harsh, we're all passionate about Halo here, but there was no need for me to be rude.
No need to apologize. i didn't think you'd been rude. I don't disagree with you in that Halo and CoD have always been most fun when they were being their unique selves. All I'm asking is, if they're only going to continue becoming more and more alike, why keep them and their communities separated?

It's not JUST Halo taking from CoD, it's been a perfectly two-way street, and the traffic hasn't slowed down one bit since Halo Reach released. These two franchises are converging, and that statement is hardly even debatable.

I respect your opinion, and I appreciate you taking the time to come back after giving it some time and thought, but I think you are confusing illusions with reality. I don't mean to sound like a jerk by saying that either. Take sprint for example. It's been proven that sprint does NOT speed up gameplay, and generally tends to SLOW the pace of a game down (sometimes significantly). Sprint offers the illusion of increased pace of gameplay, and I think the differences between, say, CoD and Halo's clamber mechanics are merely illusions which are created by the drastic and obvious differences in each game's aesthetics and environments.

I think, if both of these franchises are going to continue in the directions they've been going for years now, they might as well not half--Yoink- and just do it all the way...join forces and run with the FPS throne as long as they possibly can.

Edit: I think the best form of proof that these games are falling into each others respective image is simply looking at map designs within both games. If the games weren't starting to play very much the same, then it's reasonable to state their map designs would reflect those different styles of play. That is, however, not what we see at all. We see map designs which now are nearing a point where they could be traded between games without much, if any, problem whatsoever.
Oh, I didn't take time, I was sleeping. But I'm not really confusing anything, I played the Halo 5 beta quite a lot, and I've played recent additions to the CoD franchise, and I can say for sure that they don't play alike, at all. They have similarities when looking at some of the mechanics, but they still don't play alike, not sure how I can word it differently to how I have before, it just does.

Much as I see where you're going, I just don't think it would work for me. As far as illusions go? Microsoft and Sony working together? Hand in hand? The Halo community and the CoD community joining up? Just like that. If only world peace could be solved in a day, am I right? But, anyway, it all sounds more like a dream to me, and I don't think it's one that either side, be it Microsoft or Sony, the Halo community or the CoD community, is ready for, or even close to being ready for.

Let the developers inspire one another to make better games, but keep the fundamentals, there's nothing wrong with rivalry in my books, challenges each side to try and make a greater experience than the other.
Why ruin Halo with a trash game like COD?
The obvious question, of course, is-
"Dear lord, why?"
In case anyone noticed, he doesnt have any halo achievements or even played halo to begin with. I also highly doubt its an alternate account because no one wants a halo/cod baby. Hes pretty much saying "Hey i dont have a xbox but i tried halo 4 at a friends house and it was good and i want it on PS4 with kill streaks and 2 shot kills plssss"
S 000 DeM wrote:
The obvious question, of course, is-
"Dear lord, why?"
Why is it happening? Hell if I know.

Why do Halo fans not understand that 343 industries did the complete opposite of "return Halo to its' roots"? Seriously, how can almost none of you see how completely false that statement is? Let's quickly examine what's happening after your almost unanimous rejection of Halo 4, specifically because it strayed too far from said roots.

Removed
  1. Customizable loadouts
  2. Ordinance drops
  3. No-descope
Kept
  1. Cut-scene Assassination animations (players are bystanders all throughout)
  2. Bullet magnetism
  3. Flinch
  4. Sprint (unlimited, but no shield recharging while active)
  5. Grenade damage indicators
  6. Exaggerated shot damage indicators
  7. x & y-axis radars
  8. Weapon spawn location indicators
  9. Thruster packs
  10. Customizable armor
  11. An enormous scope on the Sniper (with eye piece, yet "spartan vision" is supposed to be projecting what would be seen through the scope directly to the HUD)
Added
  1. Ground pound
  2. Slide
  3. ADS (to every single weapon, including the sword)
  4. Clamber
  5. Spartan chatter (AI call-outs for BOTH enemy location AND weapon respawns)
  6. Slide-into-melee
  7. Jet-pack hovering
  8. Iron-sighted weapons
  9. Enemy grenade location indicators
Why do most of you believe Halo's returned to its roots when 343i removes 3 things, but keeps and or adds 20? How can most of you sincerely react to this OP with such disregard, when Halo--storyline aside--is now merely a full-blown sci-fi version of Call of Duty? The only differences are CoD's incorporating Titanfall's wall-running, and Halo is not carrying the first three things listed above. Shall you all continue to mock me, or shall I make you a list of the differences between these two franchises in 2009...pre-Halo Reach? Just let me know. I'll be glad to continue pointing out your clear and utter denial to you all.
l Jinxed I wrote:
In case anyone noticed, he doesnt have any halo achievements or even played halo to begin with. I also highly doubt its an alternate account because no one wants a halo/cod baby. Hes pretty much saying "Hey i dont have a xbox but i tried halo 4 at a friends house and it was good and i want it on PS4 with kill streaks and 2 shot kills plssss"
So, are you here to say you have no legitimate argument against (or for), but you're willing to take a shot at my character and knowledge, despite the fact that you offer none yourself in your own post?

Based on what you've brought to the table in this discussion, the only "achievement" you've earned is a contradiction medal. Maybe base the merit of information on the information and not the messenger. I think you'll find that to be excellent advice going forward in life.
l Jinxed I wrote:
In case anyone noticed, he doesnt have any halo achievements or even played halo to begin with. I also highly doubt its an alternate account because no one wants a halo/cod baby. Hes pretty much saying "Hey i dont have a xbox but i tried halo 4 at a friends house and it was good and i want it on PS4 with kill streaks and 2 shot kills plssss"
So, are you here to say you have no legitimate argument against (or for), but you're willing to take a shot at my character and knowledge, despite the fact that you offer none yourself in your own post?

Based on what you've brought to the table in this discussion, the only "achievement" you've earned is a contradiction medal. Maybe base the merit of information on the information and not the messenger. I think you'll find that to be excellent advice going forward in life.
Me personally and this is just my opinion, I do not think mixing the two would be a good idea, 343 did that with Halo 4 and even though it was a success economically, it's multiplayer player base flopped after a few months. The reason being because it was too much like Call of Duty with it's loadout's, it's leveling system and those points you get every level to unlock equipment and weapons (forgot the name). I'm so glad Halo 5 is bringing back fair starts.
L377UC3 wrote:
They already have, it's called Halo 5.
I think they're slowly doing it. Though, I think this "in-between" phase we're currently caught in is only doing both franchises harm.
Hm...No. No, I think the in between phase wouldn't ever end and both franchises would suck regardless. I'm not going to treat Halo becoming CoD (or really, CoD becoming Halo either) as a good thing at any layer of these similarities. If all you want is an Earth smashing Halo - there are hypothetically plausible ways to do this without merging the two together, as even that is no guarantee of quality.
Completely agree. Same can be said for and about CoD. However, the point is that merging the two together is simply what's slowly occurring before our very own eyes. Halo fans cried out against the change, and in return they received a steady helping of a lot more change. CoD fans have been crying out against the "futuristic" themes/gameplay after Bops2, and what have they received?

I totally agree with you, L377UC3. But at what point do we stop pretending that these two games are not merging and start considering how to embrace the directions of both these franchises to make for perhaps the best possible game (singular)? If these games returned to their respective roots, this OP would not exist, because these games would be totally different from one another. I'm not even offering my personal opinion hardly. I'm just trying to objectively look at what's happening, accept it for what it is, and then consider ways in which we might actually be able to play a role in shaping the future of each franchise (separate or together as one).

The simple fact is most all people say they would never accept the two merging together, and yet that is exactly what's been happening since 2010.

Me personally and this is just my opinion, I do not think mixing the two would be a good idea, 343 did that with Halo 4 and even though it was a success economically, it's multiplayer player base flopped after a few months The reason being because it was too much like Call of Duty with it's loadout's, it's leveling system and those points you get every level to unlock equipment and weapons (forgot the name). I'm so glad Halo 5 is bringing back fair starts.
Please refer to the list below. Perhaps you can add "unfair starts" to the "removed" list. Still, how can you honestly say H5 is not Microsoft's next step into a more CoD-like FPS? Really... Please, explain how it is that this list below equates to Halo going back to its roots and away from CoD in your opinion. Help me understand.


Removed

  1. Customizable loadouts
  2. Ordinance drops
  3. No-descope
Kept
  1. Cut-scene Assassination animations (players are bystanders all throughout)
  2. Bullet magnetism
  3. Flinch
  4. Sprint (unlimited, but no shield recharging while active)
  5. Grenade damage indicators
  6. Exaggerated shot damage indicators
  7. x & y-axis radars
  8. Weapon spawn location indicators
  9. Thruster packs
  10. Customizable armor
  11. An enormous scope on the Sniper (with eye piece, yet "spartan vision" is supposed to be projecting what would be seen through the scope directly to the HUD)
Added
  1. Ground pound
  2. Slide
  3. ADS (to every single weapon, including the sword)
  4. Clamber
  5. Spartan chatter (AI call-outs for BOTH enemy location AND weapon respawns)
  6. Slide-into-melee
  7. Jet-pack hovering
  8. Iron-sighted weapons
  9. Enemy grenade location indicators

Me personally and this is just my opinion, I do not think mixing the two would be a good idea, 343 did that with Halo 4 and even though it was a success economically, it's multiplayer player base flopped after a few months The reason being because it was too much like Call of Duty with it's loadout's, it's leveling system and those points you get every level to unlock equipment and weapons (forgot the name). I'm so glad Halo 5 is bringing back fair starts.
Please refer to the list below. Perhaps you can add "unfair starts" to the "removed" list. Still, how can you honestly say H5 is not Microsoft's next step into a more CoD-like FPS? Really... Please, explain how it is that this list below equates to Halo going back to its roots and away from CoD in your opinion. Help me understand.


Removed

  1. Customizable loadouts
  2. Ordinance drops
  3. No-descope
Kept
  1. Cut-scene Assassination animations (players are bystanders all throughout)
  2. Bullet magnetism
  3. Flinch
  4. Sprint (unlimited, but no shield recharging while active)
  5. Grenade damage indicators
  6. Exaggerated shot damage indicators
  7. x & y-axis radars
  8. Weapon spawn location indicators
  9. Thruster packs
  10. Customizable armor
  11. An enormous scope on the Sniper (with eye piece, yet "spartan vision" is supposed to be projecting what would be seen through the scope directly to the HUD)
Added
  1. Ground pound
  2. Slide
  3. ADS (to every single weapon, including the sword)
  4. Clamber
  5. Spartan chatter (AI call-outs for BOTH enemy location AND weapon respawns)
  6. Slide-into-melee
  7. Jet-pack hovering
  8. Iron-sighted weapons
  9. Enemy grenade location indicators
Hey, uh dude? You do realize I said me personally and in my OPINION right?

Me personally and this is just my opinion, I do not think mixing the two would be a good idea, 343 did that with Halo 4 and even though it was a success economically, it's multiplayer player base flopped after a few months The reason being because it was too much like Call of Duty with it's loadout's, it's leveling system and those points you get every level to unlock equipment and weapons (forgot the name). I'm so glad Halo 5 is bringing back fair starts.
Please refer to the list below. Perhaps you can add "unfair starts" to the "removed" list. Still, how can you honestly say H5 is not Microsoft's next step into a more CoD-like FPS? Really... Please, explain how it is that this list below equates to Halo going back to its roots and away from CoD in your opinion. Help me understand.


Removed

  1. Customizable loadouts
  2. Ordinance drops
  3. No-descope
Kept
  1. Cut-scene Assassination animations (players are bystanders all throughout)
  2. Bullet magnetism
  3. Flinch
  4. Sprint (unlimited, but no shield recharging while active)
  5. Grenade damage indicators
  6. Exaggerated shot damage indicators
  7. x & y-axis radars
  8. Weapon spawn location indicators
  9. Thruster packs
  10. Customizable armor
  11. An enormous scope on the Sniper (with eye piece, yet "spartan vision" is supposed to be projecting what would be seen through the scope directly to the HUD)
Added
  1. Ground pound
  2. Slide
  3. ADS (to every single weapon, including the sword)
  4. Clamber
  5. Spartan chatter (AI call-outs for BOTH enemy location AND weapon respawns)
  6. Slide-into-melee
  7. Jet-pack hovering
  8. Iron-sighted weapons
  9. Enemy grenade location indicators
Hey, uh dude? You do realize I said me personally and in my OPINION right?
Um, hey. Yeah (see bolded words from my post above)...

You said, "in my opinion". So, I'm asking you to help me understand how you formed your opinion, and if it still remains your opinion, to maybe explain why you maintain it as your own.

We are discussing games on an internet forum. I've not claimed that you're wrong...I've offered you legitimate, verifiable facts, so to help show you why it is that I disagree with you, then politely asked if you could/would help me to better understand your position.

If this seems unfair or mean to you, then I'm going to have to also ask that you help me understand this as well. Just because something is your opinion doesn't mean it is taboo for it to be challenged. Especially within the confines of an online forum.

Me personally and this is just my opinion, I do not think mixing the two would be a good idea, 343 did that with Halo 4 and even though it was a success economically, it's multiplayer player base flopped after a few months The reason being because it was too much like Call of Duty with it's loadout's, it's leveling system and those points you get every level to unlock equipment and weapons (forgot the name). I'm so glad Halo 5 is bringing back fair starts.
Please refer to the list below. Perhaps you can add "unfair starts" to the "removed" list. Still, how can you honestly say H5 is not Microsoft's next step into a more CoD-like FPS? Really... Please, explain how it is that this list below equates to Halo going back to its roots and away from CoD in your opinion. Help me understand.


Removed

  1. Customizable loadouts
  2. Ordinance drops
  3. No-descope
Kept
  1. Cut-scene Assassination animations (players are bystanders all throughout)
  2. Bullet magnetism
  3. Flinch
  4. Sprint (unlimited, but no shield recharging while active)
  5. Grenade damage indicators
  6. Exaggerated shot damage indicators
  7. x & y-axis radars
  8. Weapon spawn location indicators
  9. Thruster packs
  10. Customizable armor
  11. An enormous scope on the Sniper (with eye piece, yet "spartan vision" is supposed to be projecting what would be seen through the scope directly to the HUD)
Added
  1. Ground pound
  2. Slide
  3. ADS (to every single weapon, including the sword)
  4. Clamber
  5. Spartan chatter (AI call-outs for BOTH enemy location AND weapon respawns)
  6. Slide-into-melee
  7. Jet-pack hovering
  8. Iron-sighted weapons
  9. Enemy grenade location indicators
Hey, uh dude? You do realize I said me personally and in my OPINION right?
Um, hey. Yeah (see bolded line from my original post)...

You said, "in my opinion". So, I'm asking you to help me understand how you formed your opinion, and if it still remains your opinion, to maybe explain why you maintain it as your own.

We are discussing games on an internet forum. I've not claimed that you're wrong...I've offered you legitimate, verifiable facts, so to help show you why it is that I disagree with you, then politely asked if you could/would help me to better understand your position.

If this seems unfair or mean to you, then I'm going to have to also ask that you help me understand this as well. Just because something is your opinion doesn't mean it is taboo for it to be challenged. Especially within the confines of an online forum.
Sorry about that, the way you worded your post made it sound like you were being a bit of an -Yoink- to me.

Me personally and this is just my opinion, I do not think mixing the two would be a good idea, 343 did that with Halo 4 and even though it was a success economically, it's multiplayer player base flopped after a few months The reason being because it was too much like Call of Duty with it's loadout's, it's leveling system and those points you get every level to unlock equipment and weapons (forgot the name). I'm so glad Halo 5 is bringing back fair starts.
Please refer to the list below. Perhaps you can add "unfair starts" to the "removed" list. Still, how can you honestly say H5 is not Microsoft's next step into a more CoD-like FPS? Really... Please, explain how it is that this list below equates to Halo going back to its roots and away from CoD in your opinion. Help me understand.


Removed

  1. Customizable loadouts
  2. Ordinance drops
  3. No-descope
Kept
  1. Cut-scene Assassination animations (players are bystanders all throughout)
  2. Bullet magnetism
  3. Flinch
  4. Sprint (unlimited, but no shield recharging while active)
  5. Grenade damage indicators
  6. Exaggerated shot damage indicators
  7. x & y-axis radars
  8. Weapon spawn location indicators
  9. Thruster packs
  10. Customizable armor
  11. An enormous scope on the Sniper (with eye piece, yet "spartan vision" is supposed to be projecting what would be seen through the scope directly to the HUD)
Added
  1. Ground pound
  2. Slide
  3. ADS (to every single weapon, including the sword)
  4. Clamber
  5. Spartan chatter (AI call-outs for BOTH enemy location AND weapon respawns)
  6. Slide-into-melee
  7. Jet-pack hovering
  8. Iron-sighted weapons
  9. Enemy grenade location indicators
Hey, uh dude? You do realize I said me personally and in my OPINION right?
Um, hey. Yeah (see bolded line from my original post)...

You said, "in my opinion". So, I'm asking you to help me understand how you formed your opinion, and if it still remains your opinion, to maybe explain why you maintain it as your own.

We are discussing games on an internet forum. I've not claimed that you're wrong...I've offered you legitimate, verifiable facts, so to help show you why it is that I disagree with you, then politely asked if you could/would help me to better understand your position.

If this seems unfair or mean to you, then I'm going to have to also ask that you help me understand this as well. Just because something is your opinion doesn't mean it is taboo for it to be challenged. Especially within the confines of an online forum.
Sorry about that, the way you worded your post made it sound like you were being a bit of an -Yoink- to me.
I assure you, -Yoinks!- don't ask people to help them understand opinions they disagree with. We can all be a bit of one sometimes, and I've had the pleasure of meeting many others aside from myself.

Edit: So, I apologize if the way I worded that came off as being ugly. Wasn't my intention!
L377UC3 wrote:
They already have, it's called Halo 5.
I think they're slowly doing it. Though, I think this "in-between" phase we're currently caught in is only doing both franchises harm.
Hm...No. No, I think the in between phase wouldn't ever end and both franchises would suck regardless. I'm not going to treat Halo becoming CoD (or really, CoD becoming Halo either) as a good thing at any layer of these similarities. If all you want is an Earth smashing Halo - there are hypothetically plausible ways to do this without merging the two together, as even that is no guarantee of quality.
Completely agree. Same can be said for and about CoD. However, the point is that merging the two together is simply what's slowly occurring before our very own eyes. Halo fans cried out against the change, and in return they received a steady helping of a lot more change. CoD fans have been crying out against the "futuristic" themes/gameplay after Bops2, and what have they received?

I totally agree with you, L377UC3. But at what point do we stop pretending that these two games are not merging and start considering how to embrace the directions of both these franchises to make for perhaps the best possible game (singular)? If these games returned to their respective roots, this OP would not exist, because these games would be totally different from one another. I'm not even offering my personal opinion hardly. I'm just trying to objectively look at what's happening, accept it for what it is, and then consider ways in which we might actually be able to play a role in shaping the future of each franchise (separate or together as one).

The simple fact is most all people say they would never accept the two merging together, and yet that is exactly what's been happening since 2010.
I'm afraid, for once in my life, I'll have to play devil's advocate and side with the Pro-change guys. I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. Most of these additions are extraneous, unnecessary and very CoD-like at first glance, but the new stuff is a paint job at best and a super specific moment where you press a different button at worst. Similar animations =/= fully blown same thing. It is openly an attempt to make Halo more acceptable to the CoD crowd, with some negative unintended consequences added on (which have nothing to do with perceived similarity, but rather how these changes affect the game), however, I must say, it is done over Halo's usual style, which differentiates it from CoD in whatever small way. Don't get me wrong - I might be more apt to agree with you next game - but I'm not concerned that a cursory observation yields shallow similarities, I'm concerned that Halo went out of its way to add these shallow similarities and put a nice "here's a unique twist" in the fine print that ruins entire matches.

Also, the stink about custom loadouts and kill streaks pretty much killed either mechanic. 343 may try to make them similar, but I doubt they'd succeed against such a sexy stubborn fanbase.
What if 343i and Treyarch & Infinity Ward joined forces to collaboratively create one enormous FPS game. Halo's story, and full-blown CoD MP mechanics on a brand new engine. Share the glory of Halo with the Sony folk. Allow for cross-platform MP. Make 64+ player BTB matches a cinch.

From a mechanics and gameplay standpoint, I feel like these franchises are drawing closer and closer together. Why not combine the best of both worlds, exponentially increase population levels, and dominate the FPS genre for 30 years, just like Bonnie Ross and MS want?

We're so close...and yet we're still so far away from our dream game. Anyone else wanna see these two incredible franchises fully fused together, finally once and for all? I know I do.
No. You try to make a lot people mad or your just being paranoid over a change. 343 teaming up with Treyarch would ruin the game because COD is dumb and the story doesn't make sense.
This was a joke right?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 10