Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] What is the big deal about hitmarkers?

OP JunYah Da 7694

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I keep seeing hitmarkers being listed as skill gap decreasing feature but I don't see how. What does hitmarkers have to do with how good you are. I don't understand that gives any advantage to a less skilled player. I really don't....
It's a slight gain in skill when you just know that you have hit someone, but most new people wont know until they play into a bit of the game, I agree it's not right but only from logic. I see that you shoot and hit someone then the game tells you then its one less thing you can do rather than the game.
StLiam wrote:
It's a slight gain in skill when you just know that you have hit someone, but most new people wont know until they play into a bit of the game, I agree it's not right but only from logic. I see that you shoot and hit someone then the game tells you then its one less thing you can do rather than the game.
So just because I know I hit somebody automatically gives me an upper-hand over the other player?
I don't think it has to do with skill I just think it's for the satisfaction of knowing I got that impossible hit
Well I just mean that the more you have to think more about a multiplayer match and when you do good it makes you feel great when you accomplish more without help from game mechanics. (in this circumstance)
I like them fine myself, but wouldn't weep over them if they were axed. The issue I think most people have at the moment is the sound the damn things make.

As for skill gap, I only saw it having an effect either against cloaked opponents or when you're chucking a grenade into somewhere you can't see and get a hitmarker that reveals there is indeed a player in there. I like it on weapons just so I can't -Yoink- 'I HIT YOU, DAMMIT' when I didn't, but it would be a good thing if was removed for explosive damage against personnel.
Most hitmarkers are not a problem, in fact I would wager most people are quite fine the problem is grenade and other explosive hitmarkers.

Both hitmarkers and the lack there of give a player information on enemy positions that they should not have otherwise. See a suspicious looking corner? Just chuck a risk free nade and you are good to go, either way.

It encourages passive gameplay and thoughtless grenade spam.
Hitmarkers for guns are fine, as connection issues leads to doubt as to whether shots actually connect.

But grenade hitmarkers are just insanely stupid. It just allows random grenade throwing across the map to pin point enemy positions.
Also with grenade hitmarkers a second grenade will almost definitely follow the first. (If you get the hitmarker pop up). Whereas without hitmarkers it is more of a tactical choice whether to throw your second (and last) grenade or not. Hitmarkers remove all thought from the game...
WerepyreND wrote:
Most hitmarkers are not a problem, in fact I would wager most people are quite fine the problem is grenade and other explosive hitmarkers.

Both hitmarkers and the lack there of give a player information on enemy positions that they should not have otherwise. See a suspicious looking corner? Just chuck a risk free nade and you are good to go, either way.

grenade spam has been in all of the games
WerepyreND wrote:

grenade spam has been in all of the games
Well, duh. However those player were not rewarded with the locations of enemy players. It rewards those who already thoughtlessly chuck grenades and encourages others to do it more often
haven't been up to date on all of the new stuff in Halo 5, but now im reallllllly hoping that there IS NO hitmarker for nades.....
Hit markers in Halo are pointless in general, when the person you hit lights up like a freaking Christmas tree. You'd think that would be enough indication that you're hitting your target.
StLiam wrote:
We have already seen hitmarkers in H4 and H2A. They are pointless.
I HATE playing in Spartan Ops, Campaign, etc, not knowing if they were killed... so yeah
I don't really care either way. 343 seems to be getting rid of the lock on so a hit marker doesn't hurt in my opinion. In Halo 4 it was a rather large marker though, but in Halo 5's ADS/whatever zoom animation it seems that the hit marker is small so maybe this will be better or less distracting. I wouldn't mind being able to disable it.
I HATE playing in Spartan Ops, Campaign, etc, not knowing if they were killed... so yeah
There are others way to know when you killed anything.
Compared to Halo 4's marker, the one in Halo 5 seems much smaller. I'm not going to lose any sleep about it anyway!
I keep seeing hitmarkers being listed as skill gap decreasing feature but I don't see how. What does hitmarkers have to do with how good you are. I don't understand that gives any advantage to a less skilled player. I really don't....
They don't. Guessing if you hit someone or not isn't even remotely a skill gap, it's just unneeded randomness.

Quake has damage indicators, CSGO has a distinct sound when you shoot someone in the head or hit them with a grenade, TF2 has damage indicators and hitsounds, so on. Knowing that you damaged someone is a staple of competitive play, not a detractor of it.

People need to get it in their head that just because it's "from CoD" doesn't automatically mean it has no competitive value.
WerepyreND wrote:

Sure, because I definitely wouldn't just toss my entire grenade payload around that suspicious corner in Halo 2 and Halo 3. Ha... I'm just saying, grenade spam is a symptom of giving players more than a couple of grenades to throw. It has almost nothing to do with that hit marker function.
Hit markers in Halo are pointless in general, when the person you hit lights up like a freaking Christmas tree. You'd think that would be enough indication that you're hitting your target.
Not every Halo game has been the best at visual hit identification, though. Halo: Combat Evolved, for example, has some of the least-visible shield flaring in the series. The more recent installments have been better about it - Halo: Reach was the best - but it still doesn't hurt to have the hit markers supplement that knowledge.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2