Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] What is the big deal about hitmarkers?

OP JunYah Da 7694

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Ramir3z77 wrote:
I keep seeing hitmarkers being listed as skill gap decreasing feature but I don't see how. What does hitmarkers have to do with how good you are. I don't understand that gives any advantage to a less skilled player. I really don't....

They don't. Guessing if you hit someone or not isn't even remotely a skill gap, it's just unneeded randomness.

Quake has damage indicators, CSGO has a distinct sound when you shoot someone in the head or hit them with a grenade, TF2 has damage indicators and hitsounds, so on. Knowing that you damaged someone is a staple of competitive play, not a detractor of it.

People need to get it in their head that just because it's "from CoD" doesn't automatically mean it has no competitive value.
even halo 1 multiplayer had damage indicator sounds
There is nothing wrong with them people are just petty. I didnt even pay attention to hit markers in h4, im too busy focusing on the enemy.
gsc159753 wrote:
Ramir3z77 wrote:
I keep seeing hitmarkers being listed as skill gap decreasing feature but I don't see how. What does hitmarkers have to do with how good you are. I don't understand that gives any advantage to a less skilled player. I really don't....

They don't. Guessing if you hit someone or not isn't even remotely a skill gap, it's just unneeded randomness.

Quake has damage indicators, CSGO has a distinct sound when you shoot someone in the head or hit them with a grenade, TF2 has damage indicators and hitsounds, so on. Knowing that you damaged someone is a staple of competitive play, not a detractor of it.

People need to get it in their head that just because it's "from CoD" doesn't automatically mean it has no competitive value.

even halo 1 multiplayer had damage indicator sounds
The PC port of it did, the original game did not.
Lots of competitive games use hit markers, some visual, some audio. Removing hit markers is a terrible thing, because players have to guess how to play the lag. The recent update to Halo MCC removed the hit recognition beep from Halo CE, which has rendered that game almost unplayable. The beep was an annoying sound, I will give you that, but it was the only means for players to fish out where to lead their shots. Hit markers are a vital aspect of todays online playing space, and help players work through everyday lag.

The problem with Halo-hit-markers is that the Halo community is filled with Halo fanboys, which for whatever reason, hate anything COD related.
if it's hitscan and fires in a straight line then nothing, it's subjective opinion for that scenario.

however for anything that has splash damage, travel time or can bounce it gives an unfair advantage. with these types of items you can scout out corners and other things that aren't in your line of sight and find out where the players are. on top on smaller maps with less spawns you could cover spawns with your grenade and turn around to check around, giving you the opportunity to have higher spawn control with no disadvantage.
WerepyreND wrote:
Most hitmarkers are not a problem, in fact I would wager most people are quite fine the problem is grenade and other explosive hitmarkers.

Both hitmarkers and the lack there of give a player information on enemy positions that they should not have otherwise. See a suspicious looking corner? Just chuck a risk free nade and you are good to go, either way.

It encourages passive gameplay and thoughtless grenade spam.

grenade spam has been in all of the games
emphasis on the word thoughtless not grenade spam, halo CE had grenade spam, but not thoughtless grenade spam
DcIhNaGv3z wrote:
Lots of competitive games use hit markers, some visual, some audio. Removing hit markers is a terrible thing, because players have to guess how to play the lag. The recent update to Halo MCC removed the hit recognition beep from Halo CE, which has rendered that game almost unplayable. The beep was an annoying sound, I will give you that, but it was the only means for players to fish out where to lead their shots. Hit markers are a vital aspect of todays online playing space, and help players work through everyday lag.

The problem with Halo-hit-markers is that the Halo community is filled with Halo fanboys, which for whatever reason, hate anything COD related.
the current bullet registration in CE doesn't even seem lag dependent like in halo PC, there seems to be many random glitches which shouldn't be present in the game. i'm not a fan of visual cues as i think it's just clutter, but a fast and audible audio cue is a must imo
treycen777 wrote:
I HATE playing in Spartan Ops, Campaign, etc, not knowing if they were killed... so yeah

There are others way to know when you killed anything.
That is true I have played many hours of Halo but I can't remember ever having a problem, you hear a guy/alien die then you know it has worked.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bring threads back from the dead.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2