Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

What is with all the quitting in H5?

OP Vlexis

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
H5 has always had a problem with quitters, but I feel like it's gotten worse. I hadn't played it for a little while until the other day, but I experienced quitters in every single match I played. In one match, it quickly ended up being a 1v4 match, because a minute or so after one person on my team left (even though we weren't even losing by that much), the rest of my team left too. And by the end of the game, 3 of the people on the enemy team had quit, making it a 1v1 match. And the next game I played after that ending up being similarly lopsided.

I'm an old school Halo player (CE is hands down my favorite), and I relish competitive, strategic gameplay. I dislike quitters, and I rarely quit myself, and never because I'm losing. I'm of the opinion that playing tough games against skilled players makes you a better player even if you lose. Like the match I described-- when it was 1v4, I had as many kills as their top player. Even though my team was losing by a wide margin and knew I wouldn't win, I was still giving it my all and employing every strategy I knew to make their victory as difficult for them as possible (probably why the rest quit before the match was over). Was the Halo player base always so full of players who quit the second they start losing?
Vlexis wrote:
H5 has always had a problem with quitters, but I feel like it's gotten worse. I hadn't played it for a little while until the other day, but I experienced quitters in every single match I played. In one match, it quickly ended up being a 1v4 match, because a minute or so after one person on my team left (even though we weren't even losing by that much), the rest of my team left too. And by the end of the game, 3 of the people on the enemy team had quit, making it a 1v1 match. And the next game I played after that ending up being similarly lopsided.

I'm an old school Halo player (CE is hands down my favorite), and I relish competitive, strategic gameplay. I dislike quitters, and I rarely quit myself, and never because I'm losing. I'm of the opinion that playing tough games against skilled players makes you a better player even if you lose. Like the match I described-- when it was 1v4, I had as many kills as their top player. Even though my team was losing by a wide margin and knew I wouldn't win, I was still giving it my all and employing every strategy I knew to make their victory as difficult for them as possible (probably why the rest quit before the match was over). Was the Halo player base always so full of players who quit the second they start losing?
It seems to be worse, well wasn't as bad as now, but it's not unusual for quitting to be more abundant later in a games life. I also think the attitude of most gamers have changed over the years. Gamers are more fickle now a days. If a game doesn't cater specifically to them.. they are out.
I guess recently its due to the terrible system in ranked matches. People getting thrown in with champions and onyx players when they themselves arent even ranked yet. Its been terrible this last month.
I guess recently its due to the terrible system in ranked matches. People getting thrown in with champions and onyx players when they themselves arent even ranked yet. Its been terrible this last month.
I wasn't even doing ranked.
I feel like you have very little to lose, other than the boost you used, so why not? There is barley any penalty to quitting, therefore no deterrent. H3 had it perfect. You quit, you loose 1exp. 1exp that is only gained by winning a game. Simple yet extremely effective. I don't condone quitting, but I can see why players do all the time.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I feel like you have very little to lose, other than the boost you used, so why not? There is barley any penalty to quitting, therefore no deterrent. H3 had it perfect. You
quit, you loose 1exp. 1exp that is only gained by winning a game. Simple yet extremely effective. I don't condone quitting, but I can see why players do all the time.
I just don't get the attitude. I pretty much always finish a game I'm in, win or lose. Winning is fun, but I'm not playing to win, I'm just playing to play. If I lose, then I can examine why and maybe learn from it.

Vybrent wrote:
It's not my favorite Halo, but it's still got some enjoyable features. And I don't agree with all of 343's choices, but they still worked hard on the game. A comment like this isn't doing anything to improve the community or instigate a meaningful conversation that could benefit the game/franchise in ways that you might want.
Vybrent wrote:
Then I find it strange you would bother to play it to 133 SR. If you don’t like it, don’t play it. And don’t share your “input” if you have nothing helpful to add.
Vlexis wrote:
I feel like you have very little to lose, other than the boost you used, so why not? There is barley any penalty to quitting, therefore no deterrent. H3 had it perfect. You
quit, you loose 1exp. 1exp that is only gained by winning a game. Simple yet extremely effective. I don't condone quitting, but I can see why players do all the time.
I just don't get the attitude. I pretty much always finish a game I'm in, win or lose. Winning is fun, but I'm not playing to win, I'm just playing to play. If I lose, then I can examine why and maybe learn from it.
Not everyone is like that, & never will be. Like I said, there needs to be a strict deterrent for quitting in H6 if you want to see less quitters.
It is probably soo bad in this game since the matchmaking isn't the greatest. Can very often match very high skilled players vs very low skilled players. Also there being no party matching makes the quality of matches not very good. A newer player can only learn from a loss if there is a close difference in skill if the gap is too large they won't have really any chance.

Then if your a higher skilled players and are just trying to have fun and match a to4 you will probably quit if your just getting spawn killed since you wouldn't learn much from that defeat. The matchmaking in this game is a major issue where a lot of times social doesn't feel very social.

Then in ranked due to low populations it matches several divions apart say champion and platinum. This would be like matching high level 50s vs level 30s which is just too much of a difference. When there are more even teams people tend to stay in the game more often. Since there is a back and forth and either side could win not all these blowout matches.
Vlexis wrote:
Was the Halo player base always so full of players who quit the second they start losing?
Halo has always had quitters in it, but I don't remember the frequency of it. If I had to guess, I would say yes.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Vlexis wrote:
Was the Halo player base always so full of players who quit the second they start losing?
Halo has always had quitters in it, but I don't remember the frequency of it. If I had to guess, I would say yes.
The quitting usually begins as soon as some of the players realize they won't go positive in a game. Everyone told them they were special, so if they aren't "owning" then the other team must be cheating. Or it must be 343's fault.
Servers! If you play outside of the US (I can only speak from my current experience only) most games are just horrible in terms of connection. When nothing you can do works, shots don't register, your enemy eats all your bullets and melee's yet kills you with one hit when you have full shields etc, it's no wonder people quit. I quit when this happens because it's not about winning or losing, I don't care if I lose but I really care when the game is unplayable and I'm at a complete disadvantage and nothing I can do will change that game. Many times I'll just find a quiet spot and hide until the games finished and hope the next game is better. Yes people will hate on me for coming out and saying this but I'm just being honest with you all and wanted to stress that it's not about losing a game to me but all about how the game plays in terms of connection, lag etc. To be honest if the game connection was good, I would never quit, as losing is part of every competition, for me it's simply comes down to those horrible horrible games that are just unplayable... Sorry guys you can hate on me as I've said but again just wanted to raise an issue that appears to be very bad in H5 and again happy to own up to these moments and take responsibility but also to highlight why... I'm open to discussion here guys but understand I'm just being open and honest with you all...
The quitting problem always gets worse as a title ages. Halo 5 is coming up on its third anniversary. The population is low enough that I know of at least one playlist where extreme rank spreads (bronze to onyx/champion) are not even a little uncommon. I don't know if that's the only type of insanity that feeds the problem, but I do know that even if it was the only one then it would be bad enough to account for at least as much of the quitting as would "poor sportsmanship" or "not wanting to lose" or whatever it is people these days are calling the lack of dignity and self-respect that's required to stomach one of those matches. At least for the bronze player.

Any way you slice it, this is just one of the ways people express dissatisfaction with the game.

And for the record, if I hear that old "losing to better players makes you a better player" bull-yoink!- one more time in my life then it will be one time too many.
The quitting problem always gets worse as a title ages. Halo 5 is coming up on its third anniversary. The population is low enough that I know of at least one playlist where extreme rank spreads (bronze to onyx/champion) are not even a little uncommon. I don't know if that's the only type of insanity that feeds the problem, but I do know that even if it was the only one then it would be bad enough to account for at least as much of the quitting as would "poor sportsmanship" or "not wanting to lose" or whatever it is people these days are calling the lack of dignity and self-respect that's required to stomach one of those matches. At least for the bronze player.

Any way you slice it, this is just one of the ways people express dissatisfaction with the game.

And for the record, if I hear that old "losing to better players makes you a better player" bull-yoink!- one more time in my life then it will be one time too many.
Count me in. Ranked Arena is becoming increasingly alienating for me since my first match(es) in any gamemode are sweaty AF - most likely of having an insane(?) MMR and breaking my Arena ranking record from previous seasons - and it's really driving me nuts. It's not much better even when running with a team. Bottom line, it makes me wanna rip out my own hair.
I don't think it inherently makes a player better. That requires effort and determination. For me at least, losing inspires me to do better, and to analyze what I did that could be improved upon. When I was still learning how to play Halo years ago, I played regularly against many players who were far better at the game than I was. I lost most of the time, but I picked up a lot from them I wouldn't have learned otherwise, and went from being a terrible player to a decent player. Sometimes even a good player, depending on the game (I'm way better at CE than any other Halo). Even now, some people I regularly play with/against are a lot better than me, and I still learn new things from them.
Vybrent wrote:
Then I find it strange you would bother to play it to 133 SR. If you don’t like it, don’t play it. And don’t share your “input” if you have nothing helpful to add.
I think you're cutting to the chase a bit too quickly...there are still plenty of players from the SR 140-150 range that still play this game even now, myself included.
Vlexis wrote:
I don't think it inherently makes a player better. That requires effort and determination. For me at least, losing inspires me to do better, and to analyze what I did that could be improved upon. When I was still learning how to play Halo years ago, I played regularly against many players who were far better at the game than I was. I lost most of the time, but I picked up a lot from them I wouldn't have learned otherwise, and went from being a terrible player to a decent player. Sometimes even a good player, depending on the game (I'm way better at CE than any other Halo). Even now, some people I regularly play with/against are a lot better than me, and I still learn new things from them.
Your positive attitude puts my bitter regrets to shame, but I have to say that I feel like I've earned my bitter regrets. I could go on for hours about how bankrupt trueskill is, and how bankrupt skill-based matchmaking is, and how when those systems operate at their worst it's as if they're conspiring to produce matches so one-sided that there is nothing to be learned besides "anyone over, say, gold five is a cheater." But none of that is the point. The point is that, while a game can be a learning experience, what it needs to be primarily is fun. It's taken me eighteen years of Halo to finally realize that "fun" and "competitive multiplayer game" are mutually incompatible. My most bitter regret isn't that this is true, only that it took me so long to realize it.
I’ll admit, I’m pretty guilty of this too. To be honest,
I think I just get too competitive. It’s hard not to in this game. Usually when I solo que and play against a team who is superior and clearly is communicating, I leave because I know if I stay, it’ll only frustrate me. Kinda why I go back to Reach from time to time. People just play that game for fun, not to win. I don’t know. Seems like in H5, winning is the only way to have fun.
I feel like you have very little to lose, other than the boost you used, so why not? There is barley any penalty to quitting, therefore no deterrent. H3 had it perfect. You quit, you loose 1exp. 1exp that is only gained by winning a game. Simple yet extremely effective. I don't condone quitting, but I can see why players do all the time.
I wish they went to something similiar to this though I don’t know how they would implement It on 5
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2