Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] What is your opinion of spartan Locke?

OP P0KIN0JR

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
So I was going into gamestop the other day to buy another copy of halo wars. When I noticed that in the clearance area there were dozens of spartan Locke action figures. I was curious and decided to look for a master chief one but sadly there were none. This is not the only store to have many unwanted spartan Locke memorabilia. I recently went to two gamestops in another state and the clearance area was full of spartan Locke action figures as well. This got me thinking about how many people disliked Locke before halo 5 guardians was released. I was just wondering what the public opinion of Locke is. Does everyone dislike him? Or is he much more popular now that the game has released? All personal opions of Locke are welcome.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making non-constructive posts.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I havent the foggiest as to why everyone loves jumping on the "Let's all hate Locke" bandwagon.

After watching Nightfall (on dvd, wheres my Nightfall armour?) it seems Locke has immense respect for the Spartan IIs, Master Chief especially. In fact, I think all soldiers think him some kind of god, and they arent exactly wrong.

In 5 theres that scene where Osiris are suiting up to go bring Chief in and Locke and Buck talk. Buck asks "what will we do when we find him, ask nicely?" before Locke throws the armour restraint device at him.

When Osiris actually catches up with him, Locke does actually ask nicely before Chief strikes at him first.

Also at the end they stand together
Spoiler:
Show
like they are now best buds. Hopefully we get a dream team with Chief, Locke, Arbiter and someone else, maybe Half-Jaw or something in 6.

I dunno, its late, I'm probably losing my train of thought, I like the guy enough, even before playing 5. Hes a not-much-nonsense-lets-do-it-the-right-way-and-do-all-the-paragon-interrupts-and-options-along-the-way-even-if-it-hinders-me kinda guy.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not engage users who are trolling.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
like they are now best buds. Hopefully we get a dream team with Chief, Locke, Arbiter and someone else, maybe Half-Jaw or something in 6.
Sarah Palmer says hi!
I'm gonna quote myself from another thread:

Quote:
Locke is not a very good character. He's not horrible either, but he has no uniqueness to him.
Yes, he was a team player, a diplomat and a tactician over the course of the campaign.
Now tell me one thing that he achieved that Chief could not have, if the roles were reversed.

"He treated Arbiter with respect and cooperated with him." Big whoop. Chief (and Johnson) did that way before, while there was officially still war between both of them.
"He was well-behaved towards the colonists and their governor, even though he was an AI and they were (likely) insurrectionists." Well, Chief has deep feelings towards Cortana, so I doubt he has any bias towards "the created", and I don't see any problem he could have with the colonists, given that (as already mentioned above) he even struck an alliance with the Sangheili in Halo 2/3.
"He tried to outsmart his opponent when he knew he was underpowered for a direct approach." You mean how John managed to bring his entire team home against overwhelming odds and a trap by Mendez during the wilderness training in Longhorn Valley when he was eight?.
That's the problem. Locke doesn't bring anything new to the table. He's basically just a copypaste replacement for Chief, so the question is, why replace him at all? It alienates long-time fans and creates additional work all across the board due to the need of a new voice/mo-cap actor, face expression animations, models, textures, etc.
As I already said: Locke is neither a bad character, nor a good character. He's a pointless character.
I thought he really showed his acting chops as Luke Cage in Jessica Jones...
I actually don't hate him, but he's not my favorite new character introduced since 343 took over either, he's a decent character that just haven't gotten on his feet yet in terms to all the players.
Celestis wrote:
I'm gonna quote myself from another thread:

Quote:
Locke is not a very good character. He's not horrible either, but he has no uniqueness to him.
Yes, he was a team player, a diplomat and a tactician over the course of the campaign.
Now tell me one thing that he achieved that Chief could not have, if the roles were reversed.

"He treated Arbiter with respect and cooperated with him." Big whoop. Chief (and Johnson) did that way before, while there was officially still war between both of them.
"He was well-behaved towards the colonists and their governor, even though he was an AI and they were (likely) insurrectionists." Well, Chief has deep feelings towards Cortana, so I doubt he has any bias towards "the created", and I don't see any problem he could have with the colonists, given that (as already mentioned above) he even struck an alliance with the Sangheili in Halo 2/3.
"He tried to outsmart his opponent when he knew he was underpowered for a direct approach." You mean how John managed to bring his entire team home against overwhelming odds and a trap by Mendez during the wilderness training in Longhorn Valley when he was eight?.
That's the problem. Locke doesn't bring anything new to the table. He's basically just a copypaste replacement for Chief, so the question is, why replace him at all? It alienates long-time fans and creates additional work all across the board due to the need of a new voice/mo-cap actor, face expression animations, models, textures, etc.
As I already said: Locke is neither a bad character, nor a good character. He's a pointless character.
Very well said +1

IMO I just don't think he's qualified to clean off Chiefs visor and that goes for all the SIV. He has done nothing note worthy nothing to show he's any better then an odst. I find it odd that a new character just shows up with zero credentials and is able to even th I.k of confronting the universes modern Hercules. "But wait Locke killed Jul mdama" That is no different then killing any other elite. Jul wasn't a kaidon or anyone of significant rank or the best warrior. Hell he talked big about wanting kill the arbiter and changed his mind when he saw him. Locke who?
I nothing him, he bored me into not giving an eff about more than half the campaign. I've been playing with the chief since CE so any of Lockes missions I just rushed through.
I didn't really have an opinion on him at first, I enjoy his character in Nightfall, and by the end of Guardian's I came to like how pragmatic his character actually was!
Sarah Palmer says hi!
Go home Palmer, nobody loves you! :D :D :D
It's like a decision between getting a Turbo Man, or his sidekick Booster.

Nobody likes Booster.
Sarah Palmer says hi!
It's true Palmer. You are the Butters of the halo universe.
I think we need more time to absorb him
Yea into flood
TaCs197 wrote:
Yea into flood
hahahahahahahahah
Sarah Palmer says hi!
Spoiler:
Show
Sarah Palmer says hi!
Because I haven't heard enough "WE'RE NOT OUT OF THIS YET WE CAN STILL DESTROY THE ENEMY CORE" and "EGGHEADS EGGHEADS EGGHEADS" in the past 4 years.

Palmer can die in Halo 6 and the world wouldn't miss her.
P0KIN0JR wrote:
So I was going into gamestop the other day to buy another copy of halo wars. When I noticed that in the clearance area there were dozens of spartan Locke action figures. I was curious and decided to look for a master chief one but sadly there were none. This is not the only store to have many unwanted spartan Locke memorabilia. I recently went to two gamestops in another state and the clearance area was full of spartan Locke action figures as well. This got me thinking about how many people disliked Locke before halo 5 guardians was released. I was just wondering what the public opinion of Locke is. Does everyone dislike him? Or is he much more popular now that the game has released? All personal opions of Locke are welcome.
He has a shiny head, like me. He's an Okay Guy.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3