Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

What should happen with Fireteam Osiris?

OP Limeshake

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
To be honest, if 343i just wants to replace Master Chief, I think Jerome would be better than all of the Osiris Team
I think that its not possible to develope all of them. This is a videogame, not a film, and you cant develope so many characters.
The character development of Halo 4 was great due to the fact that there were only a few characters (Chief,Cortana, Didact, Lasky, Palmer although she is stupid, Andrew del Rio).
In Halo 5 that is not possible with so many characters (Chief, Fred, Linda, Kelly, Locke, Buck, Vale, Tanaka, Arbiter, Lasky, Roland, Cortana, Halsey, Palmer, Exhuberant Witness, Warden Eternal, the AI of Meridian...)
Master Chief should be the main character of the game. Buck is great, but I dont see him as a main a character of the main series (Halo 6), but he could have his own game (Halo 5 ODST?).
The rest of Osiris Team (and Blue Team) should play a very second role.
Arbiter should have more importance.
It's very possible to develop them, especially cause it's a first person shooter and not a telltale/bioware game where they have to develop three times as much characters. It's nothing but laziness/incompetence to me if 343 can't do that here. If you're going to feature Blue team and Osiris being the primary focus of the game, you HAVE to give people a reason to care. Blue team was butchered compared to what we hear from the EU, Osiris are these noobies no one even knows about, and then you have the fact that 343 chose to bring back a character from the dead........and made her a villain. H5 is bad writing all over the place and was why its campaign was nothing but mediocrity that can't even stand next to any other campaign in the franchise.

you're also mentioning characters that get 5 seconds of screen time (lasky, Roland, etc etc) who have no reason to be developed because of that, that's not enough time to get attached to them so why bother focusing on them? Same with palmer (although she had some scenes of her own, notably the crashing pelican). As a writer you put more development into who's more involved with the story more so than with someone who's barely in it. As I said earlier, halo is failing in this when they just need to do the bare minimum compared to actual story driven games that have much more characters and plots to worry about.
One thing I would like, that would go a long way towards accepting them, would have been to make their armor selection the player's choice. Like in Reach. That was, the most amazing feeling, to boot up campaign, & use a character that was wearing armor You earned. Sure, Spartan B-312 had "his" "cannonical" (that a word?) armor, but in game, it was all you. Let us chose what look to outfit our "new team" with. Maybe minus Buck, who is cooler than Siberia in wintertime.
All of Osiris (and Warden Eternal and Sarah Palmer, because screw it, might as well just get rid of all of the bad ones in one foul swoop) die tragically in a plane crash and are, unfortunately, killed off entirely. Except Buck survives because yadda yadda ODST. Also, all of the Prometheans die from disease as well.

And then we go back to Master Chief full time kicking Covenant and Flood -Yoink- with Arbiter and Buck and then Halo campaigns start becoming good again.

And really? We've censored -Yoink-? Jesus Christ...
The whole squad-based thing was ill-conceived nonsense, and now they've got a bunch of underdeveloped and useless characters. I don't really care about them, and I don't want to waste any time developing them. Put them on a bus, and let the important characters shine. This is Halo, not some soap opera.
The whole squad-based thing was ill-conceived nonsense, and now they've got a bunch of underdeveloped and useless characters. I don't really care about them, and I don't want to waste any time developing them. Put them on a bus, and let the important characters shine. This is Halo, not some soap opera.
Introducing characaters and having them come and go in a revolving door and never letting them develop sounds more like soap opera nonesense to me. The fact you can tell they are underdeveloped yet wouldn't allow them to develop is saddening. You have an entire franchise of books, comics, games, and more where Osiris may be a better fit. But you'd rather be lazy.
They should either tragically die or mysteriously disappear
Van Bur3n wrote:
All of Osiris (and Warden Eternal and Sarah Palmer, because screw it, might as well just get rid of all of the bad ones in one foul swoop) die tragically in a plane crash and are, unfortunately, killed off entirely. Except Buck survives because yadda yadda ODST. Also, all of the Prometheans die from disease as well.

And then we go back to Master Chief full time kicking Covenant and Flood -Yoink- with Arbiter and Buck and then Halo campaigns start becoming good again.

YES
Introducing characaters and having them come and go in a revolving door and never letting them develop sounds more like soap opera nonesense to me. The fact you can tell they are underdeveloped yet wouldn't allow them to develop is saddening. You have an entire franchise of books, comics, games, and more where Osiris may be a better fit. But you'd rather be lazy.
I did not mean for them to be completely erased from all Halo lore. I mean that they should play a much smaller role in, or be removed from, the main narrative. Their presence in literally every campaign mission was unnecessary. Even with all their screen time, they failed to develop, or contribute, in any meaningful way. They are clutter, and they exist only to allow for the "squad-based" gameplay. They can be developed in books/movies/spinoffs, that's fine. Maybe they already have, but a main entry in a series like this should not have to rely on outside material for us to understand/care about what's going on and who's doing it.

Also, do away with the squad-based gameplay.
They should either tragically die or mysteriously disappear
Or, OR, OOOOOORRRRR, actually develop them.
I have zero issue with Fireteam Osiris should they be involved consistently in the story.

If they go away, they're terribly wasted potential that should have never been.

Develop them, 343i.
UK1V wrote:
Everyone knows the Master Chief is getting old, he's not going to be around forever. You can't blame 343 for seeing into the future and not just churning out the same materiel as Bungie, because they're not Bungie. It's called the "Halo Universe" not the spoon feed me everything verse. Sorry guys but Osiris could have been a big step forward and instead of giving them a chance you're trying to kill them off.
I know that, I am hoping Jerome from the Halo Wars series will replace him, he is a great character.
Van Bur3n wrote:

If I'm being completely honest I like the Warden, if he only had let's say 10-20 bodies I would really like him as a villain, plus you know, he had the most character in Halo 5, and he's a robot, xD.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
CRISTIAMUZ wrote:
I think they should just go away, to be honest more Master Chief is needed.
pretty simple answer as the first reply. very good. thread closed.... oh wait, i dont have that power
The Halo Universe needs to expand! Keep everyone and keep expanding.
Halo 5 would've benefited if there were more Osiris levels and no Blue Team levels. And no Created but that's a separate issue.
Limeshake wrote:
UK1V wrote:
Everyone knows the Master Chief is getting old, he's not going to be around forever. You can't blame 343 for seeing into the future and not just churning out the same materiel as Bungie, because they're not Bungie. It's called the "Halo Universe" not the spoon feed me everything verse. Sorry guys but Osiris could have been a big step forward and instead of giving them a chance you're trying to kill them off.
I know that, I am hoping Jerome from the Halo Wars series will replace him, he is a great character.
All of the Spartan II are around the same age lol. Dr Halsey kidnapped very specific children at a particular age. She never had another chance to indoctrinate more children after or during the human covenant war.
UK1V wrote:
Limeshake wrote:
UK1V wrote:
All of the Spartan II are around the same age lol. Dr Halsey kidnapped very specific children at a particular age. She never had another chance to indoctrinate more children after or during the human covenant war.
True but I feel as if Chief will die to save humanity, plus with medical advances in five hundred years they'll probably have 20-30 extra years of life, so age won't really matter, for a little while at least.
Limeshake wrote:
UK1V wrote:
Limeshake wrote:
UK1V wrote:
True but I feel as if Chief will die to save humanity, plus with medical advances in five hundred years they'll probably have 20-30 extra years of life, so age won't really matter, for a little while at least.
The Chief can't get too old, with older age he will weaken. As far as ageing goes you lose strength and so forth, you begin to break down. If Chief goes for as long as people want him to his Mjolner armor itself would kill him. Chief isn't invincible, I'm sure if him and Atriox met it wouldn't go in favour of John.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3