Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

What system of voting would you like in Halo 5?

OP Pappa Chilbo

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Disclaimer: I don't expect anybody to vote for halo reach or 4's option, it's just there for the look of things or if you like it!
So personally, I'd like to see Mario Kart's system in Halo.
For those who've never played Mario Kart before, picture this:
10 players are matched into a lobby. They pick the map they'd like to play. Let's say we've got 4 going for Rainbow Road, 3 for Luigi Circuit, 2 for Bowsers Castle and the last dude going for Toad's Factory. It then randomly picks one of the choices that was voted. In this case, we've got a 40% chance of Rainbow Road being played, 30% chance of Luigi Circuit being the map, and vice versa. This way, even though there's only a 10% chance Toads Factory will be played, there's still a chance it will be the map that's going to be played.

Now, Halo would work wonders with this system because no matter what, there's always the chance that you can play that one underplayed map that you love to bits on your favourite gametype. It would just be the matter of individualising the voting more due to the introduction of game types as a voting option as well.
as we both know if you get choice full teams will sway the vote *paradiso* ;) however at the same time the developers always leave in really trash map / gametype combinations to make you want to vote against it.

mario kart system sounds the most interesting, however in the more normal playlists like BTB, TS, OBJ, FFA and dubs specifically where there is variety unlike the more specialized playlists like swat, living dead or snipes or no wacky options like multi-team or action sack if they dev can make the starting loadout contain a precision and automatic instead of either or, and lower the occurrence of the poor map / gametypes i'd be happy to play with no choice and just be given a map / gametype
I WOULD say the mario kart system. But that is easily corruptible. Players will constantly pick based on their group/team a specific map. then you will get a huge amount of players sticking to maps they know or that are easily manipulated.

Halo 3's system all the way. Giving players too much choice is detrimental.
So its possible that 7 people vote for Lockout BRs and one troll votes for Ascension SMG and then 7 people have to play that?

Sounds like a bad system for me. (I understand that the 1 guy has a worse chance, but its possible.)

I would say:

For Social: Make the H4 or Reach system but make the winner random in a tie. And also avoid having the same map 3 times as vote just with different gametypes.

For Ranked: H3 veto system or no option at all.

Just my opinion.
Lambossity wrote:
So its possible that 7 people vote for Lockout BRs and one troll votes for Ascension SMG and then 7 people have to play that?

Sounds like a bad system for me. (I understand that the 1 guy has a worse chance, but its possible.)

I would say:

For Social: Make the H4 or Reach system but make the winner random in a tie. And also avoid having the same map 3 times as vote just with different gametypes.

Just my opinion.
But that's pretty much worst case scenario man, it'll be once in a blue moon that something like that happens.
You see, the difference between Mario Kart's competitive scene and Halo's competitive scene is acceptance of the game. Although MK only has to rely on map choice, if the better players find themselves on a dodgy map they aren't keen on, they'll groan in disgust for two seconds and then come first, only upping their ELO.
With Halo, if something like the situation you describe actually happened, those 7 players would happily grind some salt on that person, hunt down that person, and make their life a living hell for the next 15 minutes, followed by one of the teams coming out on top and winning - which in a way, is what the multi players aim is. Winning to be the best, even if you've got odds against you. Even then, if it's a high level game I highly doubt something like you describe would happen.
I am at the point in matchmaking where I prefer variety over choice. I would rather have 343 pick a map for me and get to play a different map 8 out of 10 game than give everyone a choice and play the BR slayer on truth 8 out of 10 games.

At the most I'd agree with a veto system. If you like the first option, great, that's what you're going to play. If you don't like the first option, OK, you get to play this instead.
Lambossity wrote:

I would say:

Just my opinion.
But that's pretty much worst case scenario man, it'll be once in a blue moon that something like that happens.
You see, the difference between Mario Kart's competitive scene and Halo's competitive scene is acceptance of the game. Although MK only has to rely on map choice, if the better players find themselves on a dodgy map they aren't keen on, they'll groan in disgust for two seconds and then come first, only upping their ELO.
With Halo, if something like the situation you describe actually happened, those 7 players would happily grind some salt on that person, hunt down that person, and make their life a living hell for the next 15 minutes, followed by one of the teams coming out on top and winning - which in a way, is what the multi players aim is. Winning to be the best, even if you've got odds against you. Even then, if it's a high level game I highly doubt something like you describe would happen.
Or those 7 players will groan in disgust for the two seconds it takes them to hit start, quit game, and yes. I'm not saying I like it, but that seems to be the culture of the community I've been playing with.
No choice whatsoever...it's part of what made H2 and the H5G Beta so fun. Part of the reason I look at just about every H2 map fondly is because they all had their run whether we liked it or not at the time. Nowadays the "great" maps get old very fast.

My second choice would be veto as long as the first choice is fairly equal opportunity. No Lockout BR as first choice each time...
veto! It's way more balanced and fair than selecting a map. Especially when 2 maps have 3 vote each and the game automatically selects the map on the left side of the screen!
Can't have voting, even mario kart voting. You'd still end up playing one of the two maps everyone always votes on. It just doesn't work (so far). Veto doesn't work either because the first map will almost always get veto'd, just because people can. You can't put a button that does something in front of a kid and hope he doesn't push it.

Hopefully the MP maps are dictated for you just like in the H2 and the Halo 5 beta. I'm sure they were testing the waters there and no one complained about it from what I saw. I didn't see anyone say "I wish there was voting".

OP You probably should have reworded your last choice to something like "Use the H2/H5 beta system that picks for you" instead of "Have a system that refuses to give you a choice and then laughs at you after"
Benevolent Dictatorship, one person decides everything.
AlertFiend wrote:
Benevolent Dictatorship, one person decides everything.
haha
The guy with the highest K/D, because he must know what he is doing xD
I like the veto system, it made it easier to play a different variety of game modes and maps.
It should be like Trouble in Terrorist Town in that when you vote, you should be able to change your vote before the timer runs out.

Let's say the selection is a map you love, one you're okay with playing, and one you hate.
The voting starts out 1-1-1. Eventually it ends up being 1-2-3.
Since the map you despise is sitting at three votes, and the one you really like has only your vote, you're going to want to vote for the map you are okay with instead, so that it can compete.
Voting is now 1-3-3. Last guy votes for the map you are okay with, 1-4-3. It wins, crisis avoided.
DSight wrote:
I like the veto system, it made it easier to play a different variety of game modes and maps.
Good in theory but bad in practice. 99% of the time the first map gets vetoed regardless - then your stuck with whatever it picks for the second map.
I'd rather players don't have any choice in what maps/gametypes are played. All that does is keep the same three maps in rotation constantly. I'd much rather have the game choose for us and have some variety whenever I play, even if I'd prefer a different map/gametype.
If they stay with what they did in the beta it will probably be a random selection to force players/teams to be good at each map and not favor a map everytime they vote so every map gets a good amount of playtime.
DSight wrote:
Good in theory but bad in practice. 99% of the time the first map gets vetoed regardless - then your stuck with whatever it picks for the second map.
still better than playing the same 2-3 maps over and over.
Can't have voting, even mario kart voting. You'd still end up playing one of the two maps everyone always votes on. It just doesn't work (so far). Veto doesn't work either because the first map will almost always get veto'd, just because people can. You can't put a button that does something in front of a kid and hope he doesn't push it.

Hopefully the MP maps are dictated for you just like in the H2 and the Halo 5 beta. I'm sure they were testing the waters there and no one complained about it from what I saw. I didn't see anyone say "I wish there was voting".

OP You probably should have reworded your last choice to something like "Use the H2/H5 beta system that picks for you" instead of "Have a system that refuses to give you a choice and then laughs at you after"
Funny that hey! Of the entire franchise, the two most competitive (H2/H5B) imo I haven't actually touched so I didn't know, my apoligies :x
If they're going down the no choice route that's the one I'm 2nd most happy with, I do remember veto being a problem in that manner now that you mention it.
Would like to see 343 chuck in at least 20 maps on rotation (at least) per playlist, don't care if they overlap the maps for the playlist (like how sword base was everywhere in Reach or Lockdown in H2A), as long as I see some quality forge creations to flavour the playlists I'll be happy.
DSight wrote:
Then you're just left basically the no voting system. As long as the option after the veto doesn't always end up being the same map then we're all good.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3