Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

What??? You mean there actually these many a month

OP SpaceRanger50

Ok I just saw this MS adverts that said...
"Halo 5
With more than 1 billion multiplayer matches played each month,
Xbox Live is built for performance, speed, and reliability. And
with ongoing service enhancements and new features,
it just keeps getting better.". Not that I'm knocking this,
but like a Billion a month? World wide I know, that's a heck of
a lot of shooting....I wonder I that equates to the total H5 population...
Did it specify when, like currently or after it first launched? I have no idea about stats like this but I guess I could believe it. Especially if it’s factoring custom games too.
Based on the wording and punctuation, it sounds like the ad is for Xbox Live and not Halo 5 specifically.
tuhin94 wrote:
Based on the wording and punctuation, it sounds like the ad is for Xbox Live and not Halo 5 specifically.
Even for Xbox Live, that's a huge amount of revenue a month....
Spencer410 wrote:
Did it specify when, like currently or after it first launched? I have no idea about stats like this but I guess I could believe it. Especially if it’s factoring custom games too.
No, it was just a flat Ad. I was just astonished at that figure and never realized just how big the population activity was. When you add in the competitors, that's just too big to imagine.
tuhin94 wrote:
Yeah, Gold is quite a lucrative service haha. I think Xbox has between 60-70 million active users every month. Regardless of the exact number of users who have a monthly, yearly, trial, or other subscription, it's still quite a bit of money.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Yeah, Gold is quite a lucrative service haha. I think Xbox has between 60-70 million active users every month. Regardless of the exact number of users who have a monthly, yearly, trial, or other subscription, it's still quite a bit of money.
Wonder how playstation compares. Not knocking xbox live just curious. Who has more subscribers?
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
Wonder how playstation compares. Not knocking xbox live just curious. Who has more subscribers?
I doubt we'll ever get those numbers. Both companies don't want to reveal a smaller number than the other.
tuhin94 wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
I think PS has 20-30 million more. Makes sense they have more since Xbox One didn't have the greatest launch. Xbox is catching up though!
A billion a month yet it can take 5 minutes or longer to find a match some nights. Doing some rough math, that would be around 33.3 million matches a day for 30 days to get a billion a month. I'm having a hard time believing that many are happening in H5 alone so I'd have to see the actual ad.
it just keeps getting better."
Seriously doubt H5 has ever pulled those numbers. Life-time sales are well under 5 million sales, yet there are claims that it did that under 3 months so not sure what to believe. I've seen some claim it's the "fastest-selling Halo game to-date according to Microsoft", yet Halo 3 sold 14.50m, which is nearly 3x times what Halo 5 seems to have sold. And Halo 2 sold 8 million while Halo CE sold around 5 million which is roughly the same as H5 so in a way Halo 5 maybe the worst main Halo sold in the series.

As for performance H5 has actually been becoming more broken over time. I've literally lost track of the game breaking bugs but the more common issues I've noticed is the server issue bugs that have been getting worse. I remember at launch games were always quick to get into but after a year this drastically changed, has lead to issues that cause failed load's, etc...

Anyway since Reach I've noticed more, more people lose interest in Halo, can't think of anyone that actually likes or wants to go back to H5. Though I'm still playing to try to get to 152 but pretty the issues will get worse when Infinite releases.
ronnie42 wrote:
it just keeps getting better."
Seriously doubt H5 has ever pulled those numbers. Life-time sales are well under 5 million sales, yet there are claims that it did that under 3 months so not sure what to believe. I've seen some claim it's the "fastest-selling Halo game to-date according to Microsoft", yet Halo 3 sold 14.50m, which is nearly 3x times what Halo 5 seems to have sold. And Halo 2 sold 8 million while Halo CE sold around 5 million which is roughly the same as H5 so in a way Halo 5 maybe the worst main Halo sold in the series.

As for performance H5 has actually been becoming more broken over time. I've literally lost track of the game breaking bugs but the more common issues I've noticed is the server issue bugs that have been getting worse. I remember at launch games were always quick to get into but after a year this drastically changed, has lead to issues that cause failed load's, etc...

Anyway since Reach I've noticed more, more people lose interest in Halo, can't think of anyone that actually likes or wants to go back to H5. Though I'm still playing to try to get to 152 but pretty the issues will get worse when Infinite releases.
Been struggling and fighting to make it to 152 as well, but that's a long haul ...10million Xps to go. I know I won't hit it by H6 release and then H5 would probably be just about dead after that. So I've been just cruising in and out on weekends only. I'd have to play everyday and like 5 hours a day non-stop, then maybe one could make it. Realistic, no. Been using nothing but Gold Boost pack, pulling in about 16,000xp per game and even doing that 10mil is too huge a mountain to overcome before H6. So I'm taking my SR-151 and is happy at that. Waiting for H6 to start this thing all over again from scratch. Hopefully with all that cash, things will be better (Hardware and software).

Here's how long it'll take me.
I'll need 692 games at 16,023 XP each (assuming you got Gold XP Boost packs in WZ FF/WZ)
to make 11,087,102 XP . Now that's a crazy number.
Or about 692 games at 15mins each = 10,380 mins = 173 hours = 7.5 days (gaming non-stop).
Which ain't gonna happen with work, etc. Which in the real world equates to about 2years
which will be too late due to H6 arrival.
ronnie42 wrote:
Seriously doubt H5 has ever pulled those numbers. Life-time sales are well under 5 million sales, yet there are claims that it did that under 3 months so not sure what to believe.
Don't believe VGChartz for a start, they don't track digital sales.

Also when comparing to older games like Halo 3, remember that it's beer around and selling for 12 years now. Halo 5 has only been around for 4. If you want to compare sales you need to narrow your scope to make a fair comparison
ronnie42 wrote:
Been struggling and fighting to make it to 152 as well, but that's a long haul ...10million Xps to go. I know I won't hit it by H6 release and then H5 would probably be just about dead after that. So I've been just cruising in and out on weekends only. I'd have to play everyday and like 5 hours a day non-stop, then maybe one could make it. Realistic, no. Been using nothing but Gold Boost pack, pulling in about 16,000xp per game and even doing that 10mil is too huge a mountain to overcome before H6. So I'm taking my SR-151 and is happy at that. Waiting for H6 to start this thing all over again from scratch. Hopefully with all that cash, things will be better (Hardware and software).

Here's how long it'll take me.
I'll need 692 games at 16,023 XP each (assuming you got Gold XP Boost packs in WZ FF/WZ)
to make 11,087,102 XP . Now that's a crazy number.
Or about 692 games at 15mins each = 10,380 mins = 173 hours = 7.5 days (gaming non-stop).
Which ain't gonna happen with work, etc. Which in the real world equates to about 2years
which will be too late due to H6 arrival.
Yeh it's a lot of hassle to get to 152, I'm under the 500k and every level felt tedious...which is why end up watching Netflix/Youtube on the side.
I've had week's where I've burnt myself out from exp grind then there's week's where I sort of just play casually since need a break. It's like I could be max rank in about 5 weeks but it's exhausting so may end up being a bit longer. Just a matter of forcing myself to find days where I can make big leaps in exp in short windows like the 'Warzone Assault' weekend.

stckrboy wrote:
ronnie42 wrote:
Seriously doubt H5 has ever pulled those numbers. Life-time sales are well under 5 million sales, yet there are claims that it did that under 3 months so not sure what to believe.
Don't believe VGChartz for a start, they don't track digital sales.

Also when comparing to older games like Halo 3, remember that it's beer around and selling for 12 years now. Halo 5 has only been around for 4. If you want to compare sales you need to narrow your scope to make a fair comparison
Maybe but I doubt the sales were as high as 343i claims due to the quality of the game gradually becoming worse, unstable. Of course Halo 3 is an older game, the sales will have gone down and general sales of H3 will have been in decline for a while because of things like Bungie stopping producing new copies a while back, due to things like 343's MCC but the point is that Halo 2/3 were at the highest peak for the Halo IP, it's general common opinion that Halo isn't as popular as it once was due to the backlash with 4,5 and even Reach...some said it was great/bad but the thing is that is where I noticed the decline in Halo's popularity.
Ok here's where I saw that ad
Xbox Live Ad
Ok here's where I saw that ad
Xbox Live Ad
Pretty sure that's just an Xbox overall marketing thing so highly doubt it's just meaning H5. Mainly because I know the H5 servers have been awful for a while, the game has people cheating all the time with people exploiting maps from online and reports of people doing it in Esports too, there doesn't seem to be any proof of modding but I do have my suspicions and the lag is sort of common, not long ago we had a month of rubber-banding that 343i recently had to fix plus the game itself has been pretty unstable for a while with the countless bugs, servers glitch's.
Ok, looking at the ad it's 100% talking about Xbox Live as a whole. It's not talking about Halo 5, just using it as an example of a multiplayer match