Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

When did simply playing not become enough?

OP LethalQ

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
LethalQ wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
Probably ever since people tried beating high scores in arcades or playing Metroid in a certain way to unlock different endings. Playing a game because it is fun works for some people, but tangible goals can extend a person's time with a game. I like having a goal to work for, sadly grinding the game for points to buy RNG packs doesn't really do it for me. Also, I'd hardly consider it so awful for people to expect getting some kind of reward for beating Halo 5 on Legendary since 343 offered a reward for the same in Halo 4.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd discourage bonuses for players who accomplish things in-game. If you love Halo 5, wouldn't you support things that may keep people playing? I know it's easy to just consider people who'd love that sort of thing as exceptionally entitled, but at least try and see it from the opposite view.
They are giving stuff for accomplishing things in H5. Just because you don't like what they give doesn't mean they aren't there... beating the campaign gets you an achievement and gamer score.... sorry that is not enough for some.... same thing for reaching max xp of 152... you unlock an emblem... there are rewards for stuff in H5.
Meh, emblems aren't really my thing, more so since I've got a pretty sweet Librarian emblem from being in the Halo Feedback Survey Program. Neither are gamerscore or Achievements a major concern for me. You are right, there is some stuff, but the overwhelming majority is tied to the REQ system. Really, all I'd like to see are any new armors, visors, skins and so on unlockable by commendations or challenges. 343 obviously felt that certain emblems of all things should be unlockable outside of REQs, I can't see why they couldn't do the same with everything else sans weapons and vehicles for Warzone. I just want a goal to work towards.
Why isn't simply getting to champion rank, or xp 152, enough? I would say get all achievements but you don't like them.... it sounds like you want them to make a goal you happen to like. Most here seem as if they don't want to do anything unless it unlocks an armor piece.... which majority of the armor in H5 is hideous looking so I don't see the appeal to it. Should more cosmetics be unlockable with game play... sure... but I don't see how not having them changes the gameplay.
I've never been been a stickler for ranks and all getting to 152 seems more like a grind than anything. As for insinuation of 343 making a goal I would like, what's wrong with that? Beating Legendary was a fine goal and evidently 343 in Halo 4 felt that deserved an in-game reward. I can't see why that changed outside of the pursuit of money with REQs. The aesthetics of things in-game is subjective, all I'd want for cosmetics beyond specific emblems I'd like is the option to unlock them outside of the REQ system.
Milki Tea wrote:
I do understand the OP's point, but i would love some multiplayer based achievements to be added... make them hard not get x amount of x. i want get a killtacular with a pistol, cap 3 flags in a match or something.
Kinda surprising there isn't any achievements associated at least with the commendations.
Umn... When simply playing the game became not enough?

Why the -Yoink- would anyone complain about not getting special trinkets in other Halos when the games leaked a majority of the best items just from playing Singleplayer enough times... Halo 3, Reach, and Halo 4 come to mind.

...Are you saying people should be happy that's gone? The accessibility?

Let me rephrase that; Do you really think it helps the game to have such dead weight Singleplayer functionality?

Well not everyone enjoys being beaten over the head with constant PvP, or can even play it in the first place. In other Halo games you played the game to unlock everything, in the literal sense. Things like Campaign scoring, customs, and Forging in any capacity put you on track to complete the game. It supported Singleplayer progression and rewarded each area of the community evenly for how they chose to play Halo, and didn't flat out roast other sides of the community for not playing PvP exclusively like Halo 5 does.
PolyG3D wrote:

Why the -Yoink- would anyone complain about not getting special trinkets in other Halos when the games leaked a majority of the best items just from playing Singleplayer enough times... Halo 3, Reach, and Halo 4 come to mind.

Let me rephrase that; Do you really think it helps the game to have such dead weight Singleplayer functionality?

Well not everyone enjoys being beaten over the head with constant PvP, or can even play it in the first place. In other Halo games you played the game to unlock everything, in the literal sense. Things like Campaign scoring, customs, and Forging in any capacity put you on track to complete the game. It supported Singleplayer progression and rewarded each area of the community evenly for how they chose to play Halo, and didn't flat out roast other sides of the community for not playing PvP exclusively like Halo 5 does.
I am a single player... there is plenty of functionality imo.... sure I was a little disappointed to see them take away par time and par score game play/achievements. But I don't quite understand you complaint. You didn't have to unlock customs or forge... H5 has forge. Sure it's online only but what most fail to realize all gaming soon will be pretty much online only. For a time Xbox one was going to be an online only machine.
People play games for different reasons and fun is subjective to the individual playing the game. some people enjoy completeing the game (unlocking 100 percent of everything, achievements, armor, weapons, rank) whilst others are ok just coming on to play a few matchmade games every now and then. Most people probably fall into the completionist category which is why so many people have issue with putting content behind grind/pay walls. Completing a game should require skill and not time.

Some people enjoy the aesthetic creation of their spartans, which before meant saving up enough credits so you can buy the individual item you want or unlock an achievement which unlocked a piece of armor both of which is superior to "RNG req packs". RNG should be used lightly here since it is far from random. You essentially unlock all commons and uncommons, then the rares, then the ultras, then the legendarys and finally the mythics.

Were not entitled -Yoinks-, rather critics of how the game has changed massively for the worse since Reach. Thats not even an opinion, its a fact judging by the hilariously low population for a flagship exclusive and how they wont release the numbers to us. They dont care though since so many of us caved in and actually bought the microtransactions.
Achievements, unlocks, are an integral part of ALL games.
LethalQ wrote:
I see so many complaints lately about not getting stuff for accomplishing stuff in the game. Makes me wonder why all they need for rewards? Don't get me wrong I loved when achievements came out. I became a Halo achievement hunter and continue to be. But I look around the forum and saw some one pretty much saying don't get to 152 because all you get is an emblem.... even those us educated types already knew that is all you got as we saw the complete list of what xp rank got.... but I also see complaints about not getting anything for completing the campaign.... nothing for this nothing for that.... I would still play Halo if you didn't get achievements or any digital unlocks. Back in the day beating a game meant you saw the credits and then got to play again... you got nothing but a sense of accomplishment and some pride which doesn't seem to be enough. They want digital unlocks, everyone to high five them, 343 to come over and wash their car or clear their rooms or what ever else. Well my game is about to start so..... can't we all play just for fun? For some pride? Just because it's Halo... :-)
Its normally the kids that moan and complain, they always want to much and expect to get it spoonfed to them.
everyone's different, for me if i don't enjoy the game then i don't care about the extras, or the lore, or characters. When the game is good though then the more additives the merrier..i just wish games would nail step 1 before doing step 2.

the key point in this thread is longevity, with CE that longevity is found through high skill ceiling, good map design, interesting strategies from vertical asym map design and item placements, interesting physics system, fun customs. Trying to create more longevity is purely for online play, and to that i think 2 things should be met, 1. a way to compare yourself to others in skill, time played and how/where you've spent your time, 2. individual challenges to entice the player to do certain things in your game.

i felt h3 really nailed a lot of it with the ranking system and certain achievements that would unlock armour, the length of the reach system was also fun, challenges in reach were a cool idea horribly implemented.

i enjoyed reach enough to play it a lot (mainly snipers, MLG and BTB) and because of that went out of my way to get inheritor, much like in halo 3 and 2, i met people to play customs with and then went on a journey to 50s (or in h2 get as high as possible) in different playlists, also in halo 3 i enjoyed the achievements and what came of it. Giving my honest and biased opinion of h5 i don't think the game is solid enough to strive for it, if you do enjoy it then the things to strive for are quite boring and worthless in comparison to h2, h3 and reach
I'd say it didn't become enough when Halo 5 is lacking in game types and maps. I already don't care for all these unlocks in the req system. The only thing I care about in these updates each month are the maps.

I played Halo 5 for fun, that's it. Not even for rank because that -Yoink- is useless resetting each month. But the lack of maps and game types is killing it for me. I don't even have fun playing anymore because of it. I'm just bored with it I guess.
LethalQ wrote:
DC 409871 wrote:
Probably ever since people tried beating high scores in arcades or playing Metroid in a certain way to unlock different endings. Playing a game because it is fun works for some people, but tangible goals can extend a person's time with a game. I like having a goal to work for, sadly grinding the game for points to buy RNG packs doesn't really do it for me. Also, I'd hardly consider it so awful for people to expect getting some kind of reward for beating Halo 5 on Legendary since 343 offered a reward for the same in Halo 4.

Honestly, I'm not sure why you'd discourage bonuses for players who accomplish things in-game. If you love Halo 5, wouldn't you support things that may keep people playing? I know it's easy to just consider people who'd love that sort of thing as exceptionally entitled, but at least try and see it from the opposite view.
They are giving stuff for accomplishing things in H5. Just because you don't like what they give doesn't mean they aren't there... beating the campaign gets you an achievement and gamer score.... sorry that is not enough for some.... same thing for reaching max xp of 152... you unlock an emblem... there are rewards for stuff in H5.
I didn't even get the achievement, I did it 2 or so weeks after launch legendary solo and got literally nothing for it. I even repeated a couple missions, doesn't bother me too much though but it's still a problem.
What I want to know is why are there even xp levels? We all know they only unlock emblems, and gain you REQ packs (not usually good ones either), so wtf is the point of 1-152 anyway? Carrot on a stick much?
LethalQ wrote:
PolyG3D wrote:

I am a single player... there is plenty of functionality imo.... sure I was a little disappointed to see them take away par time and par score game play/achievements. But I don't quite understand you complaint. You didn't have to unlock customs or forge... H5 has forge. Sure it's online only but what most fail to realize all gaming soon will be pretty much online only. For a time Xbox one was going to be an online only machine.
No one wants online only gaming that's not a positive thing especially since most games would be unplayable with the constant servers going down there would lots of complaints. Games would go back to being rented because there's no point in playing a game locked behind online only especially those that are multiplayer specific. There is a reason why the majority didn't want the Xbox one to go online only/DRM it would be dumb and there would be plenty of pissed off people.
LethalQ wrote:
I see so many complaints lately about not getting stuff for accomplishing stuff in the game. Makes me wonder why all they need for rewards? Don't get me wrong I loved when achievements came out. I became a Halo achievement hunter and continue to be. But I look around the forum and saw some one pretty much saying don't get to 152 because all you get is an emblem.... even those us educated types already knew that is all you got as we saw the complete list of what xp rank got.... but I also see complaints about not getting anything for completing the campaign.... nothing for this nothing for that.... I would still play Halo if you didn't get achievements or any digital unlocks. Back in the day beating a game meant you saw the credits and then got to play again... you got nothing but a sense of accomplishment and some pride which doesn't seem to be enough. They want digital unlocks, everyone to high five them, 343 to come over and wash their car or clear their rooms or what ever else. Well my game is about to start so..... can't we all play just for fun? For some pride? Just because it's Halo... :-)
amen brother.
I would say that its because so many people today think they are entitled to so much but its not the real reason this started before that idea. In my opinion its just how marketing evolved for games, before its like you said you play the game you beat that final level yay you win drinks all around, but then a company thought hey lets change things up and add this to our games, whether that was an alternate ending, that really cool god weapon you got after beating the final boss, or even a harder mode after you won, and it worked people loved it they thought it was cool they bought more of their games it was a popular game, so another game company did that and another and another until basically every game that came out had some little special thing to it and it just grew from their everywhere. Halo started with legendary ending, then it became armor rewards/achievements, trophies to show off to your friends people spent more time looking for these things than they did playing the game and now that 343 didn't add that reward people are flipping out, but looking back did anyone complain saying something when halo ce didn't give you any armor after beating the game on legendary.

Spoiler:
Show
I often wonder the same myself. People want armor and emblems and special notifications. It's like they are working or doing something they hate.
Yeah, when the heck did playing a video game turn into a JOB.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2