Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Where did B.O.B. go?

OP HipNuts

As you're all aware Halo Reach had a rich trove of secrets to discover within the campaign such as the flyable pelican, the flyable phantom, and the race track at sword base. With notable Easter eggs in mind, some of you may remember BOBs (Theorized to stand for "born on board"). The gold ranger elites with blue visors. Throughout the campaign there would be random encounters with this special elite, some engagements requiring you to backtrack in the level just for the pleasure of putting a full mag through his head the for the fifth time. This is sort of a joint Reach/Halo 5 question.

1. Did the community ever figure out the purpose of these things and where they came from?

2. Did they (or their halo 5 equivalent) ever reappear in Halo 5 at any point?
HipNuts wrote:
As you're all aware Halo Reach had a rich trove of secrets to discover within the campaign such as the flyable pelican, the flyable phantom, and the race track at sword base. With notable Easter eggs in mind, some of you may remember BOBs (Theorized to stand for "born on board"). The gold ranger elites with blue visors. Throughout the campaign there would be random encounters with this special elite, some engagements requiring you to backtrack in the level just for the pleasure of putting a full mag through his head the for the fifth time. This is sort of a joint Reach/Halo 5 question.

1. Did the community ever figure out the purpose of these things and where they came from?

1: Because Bungie was bored and wanted an easter egg

2: Not sure. Probably not. Unless you count that grunt you can drop kick to his death
HipNuts wrote:
Did the community ever figure out the purpose of these things and where they came from?
They were a reference to Marathon, put in as an easter egg.
HipNuts wrote:

1: Because Bungie was bored and wanted an easter egg

2: Not sure. Probably not. Unless you count that grunt you can drop kick to his death
Love killing that little guy
They were a reference to an enemy in Bungie's previous shooter franchise, Marathon. 343i didn't put them in because Marathon is not their game.
HipNuts wrote:

1. No one knows where or why BOBs exist...such a mysterious creature.
2. I don't believe they ever made a return since Reach.
HipNuts wrote:

I miss those guys. They were my fav challenges to complete.
I have found a new backtack easter egg on Genesis. It spawns 4 Knights at the end battle. Hit me up if your interested . I would be glad to explain how do it!! As far as I know Noone else has done it.
I have found a new backtack easter egg on Genesis. It spawns 4 Knights at the end battle. Hit me up if your interested . I would be glad to explain how do it!! As far as I know Noone else has done it.
I was on the main screen when I saw your name. Lol you made me stop for about 10 seconds trying to think if I posted in here or not.
But back on topic. I don't know where Bob went but he will turn up eventually, he always does.
They were a reference to an enemy in Bungie's previous shooter franchise, Marathon. 343i didn't put them in because Marathon is not their game.
They weren't enemies. BOBs were actually your allies. BOB stood for "Born on Board." They were the crew of the UESC Marathon, who were born, and grew up on, the ship.
BOB shall return in H6. Hopefully