Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Who Exactly Does 343 listen to for Ideas?

OP H BIRYANI

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
What's with everyone's fascination with playable Elites?
Because they're BADASS!
Well they're not active on there forums so I highly doubt they read any type of feedback anyone provides.
  1. Waypoint feedback threads
  2. Community feedback program
  3. Other forum websites
  4. Social media
Gandalfur wrote:
They were always in the game, it was a feature, a cool option, now its not in the game yanked without reason or warning. I think that it's fair to be upset about, if your favorite restaurant offers a free appetizer with every 3-4 meals ordered and suddenly they stop doing that are you going to start questioning peoples fascination with appetizers? Now I realize that its a bad comparison in terms of the relative scale of the deed, its more like they stopped giving away free forutune cookies but people still are well within reason to be like: what the hell did you guys do with my fortune cookie? and youre telling me if I want one I cant even BUY one?
Reasons being differences in hitboxes (due to their shape and size difference) and reduced size to fit with Spartans in MM, which doesn't fit with the MM is canon narrative.

I could see them fitting in Warzone, because anything goes there, but not in Arena.
Does it really matter if MM is canon? C'mon don't act like hitting elites is some kind of challenge... If it can be done easily in Halo 2-MCC it can be done now. Never once has it been a struggle to kill an elite in multiplayer...
H BIRYANI wrote:
Gandalfur wrote:
They were always in the game, it was a feature, a cool option, now its not in the game yanked without reason or warning. I think that it's fair to be upset about, if your favorite restaurant offers a free appetizer with every 3-4 meals ordered and suddenly they stop doing that are you going to start questioning peoples fascination with appetizers? Now I realize that its a bad comparison in terms of the relative scale of the deed, its more like they stopped giving away free forutune cookies but people still are well within reason to be like: what the hell did you guys do with my fortune cookie? and youre telling me if I want one I cant even BUY one?
Reasons being differences in hitboxes (due to their shape and size difference) and reduced size to fit with Spartans in MM, which doesn't fit with the MM is canon narrative.

I could see them fitting in Warzone, because anything goes there, but not in Arena.
Does it really matter if MM is canon? C'mon don't act like hitting elites is some kind of challenge... If it can be done easily in Halo 2-MCC it can be done now. Never once has it been a struggle to kill an elite in multiplayer...
Pretty sure in H2 there was a big problem in swat due to the Elite hit boxes which indeed did make them harder to hit.

And a key point of Arena is equal starts, something that elites inherently brake. Ive seen a few people -Yoink- and moan about equal starts and how important they are to the halo sanbox before going on a rant about how elites need to be in halo. You cant have it both ways.

Elites in Warzone I have no problem with, and by all means give them a Elites only playlist but arena should a Spartan only affair.
They look cooler than Spartans. Playing as human characters in a video game that takes place in outer space is the single most 2-D concept in the history of gaming.
Oh and OP, I'm pretty sure 343 is given a check list from Microsoft and a stern look, forcing 343 to do what they think gamers need, but is actually just gauranteed to make sales. They already screwed up the campaign, pretty sure they are also responsible for the terrible multiplayer decisions too. I'm referring to microtransactions and the limited playlists, not fighting mechanics people here seem to dislike.
Themselves
H BIRYANI wrote:
This question has intrigued me for quite a long time. Where does 343 get ideas from? Clearly, they barely use any from the forums, as seen by the Elite thread. Who do they ask for input on Halo? There is no place in the actual game to request/change features, nor is there on here. Even if there is, we all know by now this forum doesn't really help 343 make any gameplay choices at all.
Is there some other website, some secret group, Microsoft themselves, the MLG Halo players, or someone else who makes or informs 343 on how to make Halo? For example, the huge shift in music from the original trilogy to Halo 4. Who told 343 that this shift should be done?
Another example: Who did 343 listen to when they decided to take out splitscreen? Do the MLG players have an influence on this, as they would love 60 fps Halo?

It would be nice to know just exactly who actually advises 343 on the direction of Halo, and even more importantly, how do we as a forum get more influence on the creative process for the next Halo game.

My personal theory? Focus groups composed of clearly some people who 343 listen to very closely. It seems with the declining fortunes of Halo, perhaps these focus groups are one of the reasons? Sure they get stuff right in better mechanics in Halo 5 (gun mechanics, not abilities), but not much else. I believe that this focus group could be cherrypicking. 343 wants to make more modern-themed Halo, and they probably rely on the cherrypicked data instead of all the data that contradicts the fact that modern Halo is helping to keep the series popular.

**cherrypicking basically means picking out data from focus groups that appeal to what the moderator (343) would like to hear (the newer features, things like warzone firefight), instead of all of the data that contradicts that the modern stuff is good (poorer critic ratings, not much community stability, fanbase split, low population).

Now that I think about it, the cherrypicking/ focus group sounds like it probably is happening.
Lets hear your thoughts about my theory, or any other theory about how and who actually supplies info and tells 343 what to do (obviously Microsoft doesn't influence gameplay THAT much, the only thing they probably did is REQS.)
people that play beta? who are probably mostly hard core gamers? i doubt a game would go to focus groups given that they have an in-built audience and they aren't looking to get the impulse shopper with a $1 candy bar. ( what focus groups do)
I really hope they check out a lot of the post I've made and are listening in general and just checking the forums to get their fans perspectives because I've had a lot on my mind. Especially playing TMCC right now and noticing that the halo ce remaster is from reach and how a reach remaster should be included with TMCC as well as firefight. TMCC needs intricate work and patching desperately as well as a file share/browser full armor customization better lobbies search times etc....and H5G needs it's fair share of work too Microsoft should fund and take care of this....There are a lot of things wrong with the Halo community right now as well as the two most important games right now. But there is a lot wrong with the Xbox One in general right now including the live service xbl needs a major upgrade as well as a few other things. There is no reason for halo to be in this condition that it is in. It is infuriating. There should be more of a demand to have these things fixed and incorporated into the game it is really bad that this stuff isn't right. Microsoft is being really lazy when it comes to this stuff. A lot of these things could be improved and put on put on PC with cross play as well. Microsoft needs to try a little harder and work harder. I am not enjoying my incomplete product etc.
Rhydon65 wrote:
Look, I understand it's upsetting that 343 doesn't respond to these forums as often as we'd like them to, but think about how many Halo fans there are out there, and not on just this website. While we're here putting out thousands of ideas, Halo fans on other sites such as Reddit are voicing their opinions and offering several ideas as well. Meanwhile, the people of 343 themselves have their own visions of what they would like to add to Halo.
H BIRYANI wrote:
There is no place in the actual game to request/change features, nor is there on here. Even if there is, we all know by now this forum doesn't really help 343 make any gameplay choices at all.
There is an Offical Warzone Firefight Feedback Thread here, at the top of the Halo 5 section. It's been there since the gametype was released, they've listened to feedback on that thread and they've released a hotfix, the patch notes of it can be read here.
The "HotFix" was a joke in terms of addressing the complaints of the players, all they did was move around the rounds, they didnt actually address peoples concerns or ideas for improvement....
I always got the impression that 343 listen to non-Halo fans for ideas.

Not sure if you knew about this, but 343 once prototyped a traditional Halo game that tested well among players, according to their user research, and they scrapped it anyway. So that really raises questions as to who exactly they listen to.
Hello, I am 343 Bot, here to elicit ideas for our next Halo title. I am unfeeling. I lack the thinking capabilities to create my own ideas. Please submit ideas for our new game. Thank you.
They look cooler than Spartans. Playing as human characters in a video game that takes place in outer space is the single most 2-D concept in the history of gaming.
But playing as the aliens...whoa. That's a paradigm shift.
kmk89 wrote:
The "HotFix" was a joke in terms of addressing the complaints of the players, all they did was move around the rounds, they didnt actually address peoples concerns or ideas for improvement....
Becasue it was a hotfix, it was a full blown update. The idea was to get the fix for Tidal out and they added some FF changes too. For addressing large complaints they'll likely work that into a larger update
To answer your question: feedback threads and /r/halo. Other than that, my best guess would be from professional players.

I am sure they read the Waypoint forums from time to time, but the Reddit voting system is more efficient as it filters out the junk posts from quality discussions. The only real downside to this is that unpopular opinions often go unheard.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:

Not sure if you knew about this, but 343 once prototyped a traditional Halo game that tested well among players, according to their user research, and they scrapped it anyway. So that really raises questions as to who exactly they listen to.
Yeah, I heard about that a few weeks ago actually. I was pretty mad when they decided to scrap it. 343 needs to make their own game. They don't make Halo because they want to like Bungie did, but only because Microsoft forces them to by literally making the company.
H BIRYANI wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:

Yeah, I heard about that a few weeks ago actually. I was pretty mad when they decided to scrap it. 343 needs to make their own game. They don't make Halo because they want to like Bungie did, but only because Microsoft forces them to by literally making the company.
When they applied for 343, they knew it was to work on Halo and only Halo. That only makes it more weird since you can tell they desperately want to make their own game.
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:
H BIRYANI wrote:
Zr0Fear v2 wrote:

When they applied for 343, they knew it was to work on Halo and only Halo. That only makes it more weird since you can tell they desperately want to make their own game.
Exactly!! Its like when they designed 4 and 5, they tried to make their own game but somehow tied it into Halo, and of course the blind fanboys can't see this.
Well I personally don't think 343i listens to much on here at all. I think other sites get more attention then this one. The only time I ever see them post on here is when there is a major issue or something of that nature. Then they vanish. And to be honest I cant remember the last time ive seen them on here. Im sure they lurk around but I don't think they get many ideas off of here. Its funny this being there own site and all. One would think they would pop in to make sure the house is still in order..lol.

Zippy.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4