Anyone know the reason they chose the number 152 for max?
I think it's just the total amount of XP split up.
That doesn't really answer why they decided on SR152. It's 50,000 million XP they could have broken it up in any number of ranks.
Luke TheNotable reached out to several 343 employees for his Halo 5 max rank video and nobody knew from that either.
LethalQ wrote:
That doesn't really answer why they decided on SR152. It's 50,000 million XP they could have broken it up in any number of ranks.
Luke TheNotable reached out to several 343 employees for his Halo 5 max rank video and nobody knew from that either.
guess it was just some arbitrary number kind of like however they came up with 50 million XP being the max rank.
I assume after finalizing the XP payout calculations some designers wanted to pick an XP cap that would take some time to reach. Then after settling on a cap of 50 Mil they inputted it into an algorithm and it spit out 152 as the maximum rank. I doubt anyone picked 152 first and decided that would be the maximum rank without considering the XP total first although I could be wrong. Maybe some dev’s favorite number is 152.
Does it really make any difference what numer the is? If it had been 153 then this thread would still have been "Why 153" Still given that it is a question then it should read Why 152? (in my lowly opinion).
Does it really make any difference what numer the is? If it had been 153 then this thread would still have been "Why 153" Still given that it is a question then it should read Why 152? (in my lowly opinion).
The question is why an arbitrary 152 and not 50 or 100?
Halo 4 was arbitrary as well, but at least is was a multiple of 10.
Yeah, it was just a question that I wondered if there was an explanation that was something I didn't know about. For example if they maxed it at 117 we would know why, or if they maxed it with any number that contained a 7, like 207 then it would be more understandable. I hoped it wasnt just a boring maths algorithm, and actually had some meaning behind it.
maybe they just picked some random number and were like "dude, I bet all these ppl are gonna think this number actually means something and start making theories about it lol."

That, or it could actually mean something and nobody smart enough has figured it out yet. In Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy the giant computer statue answered "42" to the guy who asked what the meaning of life was. Most people thought it was for the sake of lame British comedy that only certain people found funny, but there is actually a reason why 42 actually is the meaning of life. The entire reason why cannot be explained easily right now so you're free to research it if you want.

Maybe 152 has some significance with actual Spartans from human history? Pokémon gen 1 had 151 Pokémon so you reaching max level makes you #152? Or it was 1:52 am or pm when the first build of Halo 5 was officially complete ?

Idk, I'll stand by my first theory to play safe.
Bruce6571 wrote:
Anyone know the reason they chose the number 152 for max?
Maybe it has to do with Dr Halsey, she identified 150 children for the Spartan 2 programme. She was only funded for 75 though. It's a stretch, but that's the only thing that I can think of in Halo that comes close to 152. 150 plus 2 for the Spartan programme, or 2 multiplied by 75 etc. However, I'm reaching here, pun intended lol.
may be its a nice number :3
If I remember my lore right 152 is the spartan tag for Chief Petty Officer Javier-152, but I wouldn't know why this had anything to do with the next game or halo 5
It's hard to say, if there'd be a reason for it being 152 or because it has a meaning to it.
Idk, but I hope there is something behind it.
It's probably only something you'll find out if you're in a casual setting with a 343 employee like Frankie.
The question is why an arbitrary 152 and not 50 or 100?
Halo 4 was arbitrary as well, but at least is was a multiple of 10.
The max rank in Halo 4 was actually not a coincidence as the main ranks was SR1 to SR50 and then 10 additional ranks got added for each individual specialization. At the beginning, Halo 4 did actually only have 2 specializations if I remember correctly and I believe that 343 implemented the system in a way in order to make it easy to add new specializations in the case that plans got changed.

However, when it comes to the max rank for Halo 5, I do actually have not clue why this number got picked. One of the reasons could probably have been that the XP requirement for the max rank and that the XP progression curve between the ranks got decided before the max rank number itself and that the choice for the number 152 was instead due to make the progression curve more regular.

Even if this reasoning is just pure speculation, it's still a fair reasonable guess. But here are few number 152 facts for anyone interested.
Spoiler:
Show
I think it's just the total amount of XP split up.
152 is 50mil xp, but they could of made it so 150 was... but i guess 152 is unique too