Why a classic playlist is a terrible idea

OP I Bobby l

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
I have advocated for a classic playlist since before launch, since I, along with millions of other gamers (not an exaggeration), don't see sprint and mainstream gimmicks as appealing in a Halo title. I haven't played Halo 5 since about a week after launch because I just don't like it. I classic playlist would have probably added a bit of longevity to the game in my case, but the new audience for Halo wouldn't have been as attracted to it, and thus, 343 would see it as a waste and as irrelevant; but it's exactly the opposite.

There is a large portion of Halo 5 players under the age of 18 (which is fine), and not so many veteran players--the reasons for this have been discussed far enough for me not to have to explain. But here is the issue: the population that likes Halo 5 is small. More gamers in the world prefer the gameplay and experience of classic halos - this is inarguable based on statistics of sales and the populations' lifespans.

I absolutely respect the people that love Halo 5 and can understand its appeal. But, you guys are a minority. 343 is profiting from microtransactions alone, and once people get annoyed enough with this corrupt business tactic, they won't be profiting at all -- especially since even less people will buy Halo 6 if it is anything like Halo 5.

Halo 6 and all future Halo FPS games should play the same way the games did when millions of players continually bought and played Halo.

343, please swallow your pride and make Halo as it was when people loved it. Work on adding incredible community features and a seamless experience with working servers. I can assure you that the small amount of loyal fans you have will still love and play a classic Halo title.

(Sticker boi and other moderators, I haven't seen a post similar to this one, and I am certainly not bashing anyone's opinion, so locking this would be ridiculous.)
I think you may want to change the title to something else, not because it's bad or anything it's just kinda...click baity? confusing? But I do agree that micro transactions aren't the way and that make great future halo titles. I really love the small stuff they add in them like hidden weapons or just other miscellaneous stuff.
I don't know why it's so hard for people to get... Arena IS classic. It's back-to-basics, equal starts gameplay with like abilities... everyone is on the same footing like the original games.

We are basically playing the OG Halo experience in its current (2015+) form... and I think the new abilities are overall, great for the game. Moving the series forward, in a meaningful new direction... not forcing the COD formula down our throats.
I don't know why it's so hard for people to get... Arena IS classic. It's back-to-basics, equal starts gameplay with like abilities... everyone is on the same footing like the original games.

We are basically playing the OG Halo experience in its current (2015+) form... and I think the new abilities are overall, great for the game. Moving the series forward, in a meaningful new direction... not forcing the COD formula down our throats.
Hahahaha are you kidding me? Arena IS classic? Put the pipe down, buddy ;)

... Or just get with the times?? Halo 5 is an excellent MP game, as is...

I hope you realize that, by saying "classic", they mean no sprint, Spartan Abilities, etc.

Huh? What you said is completely irrelevant. I stated that Arena isn't at all classic Halo, and your response is get with the times and Halo 5 is a great game?
Very sense. Much understand.

I hope you realize that, by saying "classic", they mean no sprint, Spartan Abilities, etc.
Believe me, I realize... it's just that even with the new abilities, the game still hits all of the right points. I'm just not opposed to moving the game into new territories as long as it's done properly... and we have a game here that is still built on Halo's foundation, without straying too far off the path.

Huh? What you said is completely irrelevant. I stated that Arena isn't at all classic Halo, and your response is get with the times and Halo 5 is a great game?
Very sense. Much understand.
So what do you think a classic playlist is going to solve? Is the game magically going to be better? It's doing the exact same thing as default settings are, while limiting the players' options... If the maps are adjusted accordingly, that's one thing...

At the end of the day it's still a man-to-man game where the better all-round player wins. And like, why would I play Halo 5, when if I wanted to play something OG, I could just play H3 360?

Idk about you, but I play Halo 5 to play HALO 5... and I'm happy with that, as it is... it's current-day Halo.
Why are you so certain that we are in the minority here? Is it because the haters have a loud voice?

Halo should stay the same? No, video games need to continually change in order to stay fresh. Also, your title has nothing to do with the OP.
I don't know why a Weekend Classic Playlist would hurt. If it gets popular reviews then it may return like Super Fiesta does. It's not hard to do, and it's worth a try.
I think you may want to change the title to something else, not because it's bad or anything it's just kinda...click baity? confusing? But I do agree that micro transactions aren't the way and that make great future halo titles. I really love the small stuff they add in them like hidden weapons or just other miscellaneous stuff.
Yeah, the title and the OP are a little confusing. It would be better if you changed it to what the actual subject of the OP is.

I clicked because I wanted to weigh in on having a Classic playlist, since that what the title suggests the thread is about. I think it would be great if there was always a Classic playlist available in Halo 5 and all the Halos to come. There are enough players that would be interested to keep its population up.

Now in terms of Halo 6 being totally back to classic play I don't think that would work so well. It has been too long that we are using the non classic abilities. We can't go back.
I have loved every Halo. I have played since Halo 2. but for those who think that swarms of players would return if Halo when back to the exact same mechanics of H2/3 are delusional IMO. The main problem with Halo isn't sprint as most claim. all the top shooters currently have it. Doom that some were praising when it came out, which the beta played well but I never got the game, isn't even currently in the most played list... but the main issue, well there are two actually, one being Halo has a high learning curve. I have heard newbies playing can't figure out why they can't kill anyone with the longer ttk compared to most games. accuracy counts a lot in Halo. also 343s every unstable game. let's not pretend that 343s wonky servers doesn't hurt the game. YES H5 arena is essentially "classic" Halo in regards that it's equal starts. Sure some consider classic Halo no abilities and it's walk, crouch, jump, trigger pull and that's it. Both Halos exist on Xbox one. MCC and H5. sure MCC was majorly botched but it works over all now. MCC is actually beating titanfall 2 on most played right now. As far as Microtransactions sure it's not the best system and they should have made more cosmetics unlocked through game play but only one aspect of multiplayer involves reqs and it's a way better system than most others games microtransactions.

But a classic playlist isn't a bad idea. why not offer one. there are some doing it in customs games already.
Why are you so certain that we are in the minority here? Is it because the haters have a loud voice?

Halo should stay the same? No, video games need to continually change in order to stay fresh. Also, your title has nothing to do with the OP.
Well, the game's population prove it to be remarkably less popular than the classic Halos, and thus, the people who play Halo 5 make up a much smaller community. Millions of people who played the classic halos haven't played the series in years since it changed for the worst (in my opinion). If a classic Halo were made, with a proper campaign, classic gameplay, and innovative community features (Which halo was so instrumental at in its golden age), millions of fans could be brought back with the right amount of marketing. It is ignorant to say that players won't come back to the series since games with classic gameplay are so popular right now. Other developers like infinity ward and dice understand that people enjoy a pure gaming experience utilizing new technologies. I have played call of duty since MW2 and haven't touched battlefield since Bad company 2, but there is a good chance that I am going to pick up both the remastered COD4 and Battlefield 1, for the very same reason that so many people would buy a halo title that is similar to the original. Games don't have to change core mechanics if there is such a positive response to the gameplay, but rather have to innovate in areas that could benefit the community.

The title is completely relevant because the idea of a classic playlist solving all of the issue of longing for classic gameplay is ridiculous. Regardless of how popular it would be within the Halo 5 community, it couldn't make Halo a household name again. People are buying Battlefield, Call of Duty, Fallout, Counter Strike, Gears, and all of these other shooters because are true to the franchise. That cannot be said about Halo 5 or Halo 4 (Reach was the start of the disaster, but it a few redeeming features)
It's not as easy as saying "more people played classic Halo over Halo 5 now."

It's a vastly different time... just because less people are playing Halo 5 at one time now, doesn't necessarily mean that people hate it, or that it's bad, or that it needs to go back to classic gameplay. It's REALLY NOT that simple...

There are tons of fantastic AAA games coming out right now that people want to play... Halo has been out for a year now, and there's plenty of popular sequels being released this quarter. It doesn't mean Halo 5 sucks or didn't go the proper direction with its gameplay lol. Halo is just one of many amazing games out there... people can't play them all at once. For this reason, it's true when people say that Halo has become more of a niché... only the more hardcore fans, whether it be casual or competitive gamers will frequent Halo and make up the "regular" player-base. At a time where there's literally a game for anybody, to fit everyone's different interests, Halo is seemingly not going to do as well...

What is important is that it SELLS well... a thriving online community is also very important, but that can't happen if the game doesn't sell.

Because sales are pretty clearly low right now in install base besides profit. 343i hasn't released states that are at all relevant (only a fool would consider MAU a useful stat).

There is no proof to this statement, infact, it shows the opposite in many series. Find a big franchise that changed and is doing as successful as previously.

"Progress comes not from chucking out the old but from gradually modifying the parts that need changing while preserving the overall structure, keeping the form but reforming the contents."

He's just calling a spade a spade, really.

Halo 5 Arena is just not classic Halo. It's not 'traditional' and it's not what they advertised, much like Campaign (though to be fair, Warzone is exactly what they advertised from day one.) Spartan Abilities, all-random respawns, and map callouts are just the superficial red flags.

Everything is derivative for no reason. 'Default' Infection in Halo 5 is Alpha Zombies + Last Man for -Yoink- sake. Nothing is vanilla. Nothing is the real thing. Just like Halo 4, except THIS time 80% of the variants are missing, even after they added some of the missing gametypes.

With Arena in general in Halo 5, 343 is like some kind of cruel ice cream shop that refuses to sell their award-winning flavors despite how much customers beg or pay for them.

CTF is always multi-flag and always has flagnum. No one flag CTF. Assault is always Neutral Bomb, there is never two bombs. The FFA playlist has no FFA variants, not to mention awful spawns carried over from Team Slayer, and the TS playlist always being Team Slayer with again, no variants (not to mention Slayer is always Team Slayer instead of 'Slayer' being FFA like always, and TS being the team variant.) Action Sack is full of horribly niche and experimental minigames that people only play when they're bored of real custom games.

The ranking system... The ranking system is generic. It's competitive ranks from other games, with the only difference being max rank is called 'Champion' instead of 'Master'. Completely pasted over, and the worst part is there's no competitive settings (because 'Social' settings don't exist either.) All ranked playlists have radar, Spartan Abilities, and no party matching. Just casual garbage everywhere. The 1-50 CSR system from Halo 4 is literally perfect in comparison.

Actually it is because there were statistically more people buying/playing Halo.
It also doesn't help that the hate against 343 is so strong, that people are gonna say that Halo 5 sucks even without giving it a fair shot. I'd know, because I was that way until I sat down with Halo 5 and played it.

Halo 4 sucked -Yoink-, BTW. There is no defending that trash, so it probably turned a lot of people off from Halo entirely.

Believe me, I realize... it's just that even with the new abilities, the game still hits all of the right points. I'm just not opposed to moving the game into new territories as long as it's done properly... and we have a game here that is still built on Halo's foundation, without straying too far off the path.
I agree with you lickmyb4c0n.

Halo 5 has even starts, weapons on the maps, and the "Golden Triangle" among other very fundamental Halo elements. Sure it has sprint. Sure it has different mobility than Halo 1-3. Sure it has ADS. Sure it has Spartan Abilities, but it is 2016, and Halo 5 honestly feels like Halo while also feeling more modern than the original trilogy.

I'm a very faithful old Halo player who has been there since the beginning and I love the older games, I really do. I've spent a ton of time playing them all, and at the time I swore it couldn't get any better. I was happy with Halo CE. The LAN parties, the way the guns and gameplay felt. It was amazing! Then Halo 2 came out and showed me just how much better Halo can be. Regenerative health, dual wielding, no falling damage, etc. I couldn't have been happier... that is until Halo 3 came out. How could it possibly get any better than that? Well, Halo Reach was the answer. I know some people didn't care for it (there's always people who like or dislike anything and everything), but I loved that game and thought it had great multiplayer. How could the eventual Halo 4 top that?

The short answer is that it didn't. Every single time a new Halo game was released, the bar was raised, but Halo 4 was the first time that I felt that didn't happen. Even starts were gone. Weapons on the maps were gone. It still had some of the Halo feel, but the core essence wasn't there. Halo 5 though? Halo 5 hits all of those crucial marks for me. I understand and respect that some players will argue against sprint or more modern gameplay mechanics inside their Halo, but I honestly believe Halo 5 is the perfect compromise. It's literally the Halo game that delivers on both sides. The core essence of Halo, just with a modern twist.
PolyG3D wrote:

He's just calling a spade a spade, really.

Halo 5 Arena is just not classic Halo. It's not 'traditional' and it's not what they advertised, much like Campaign (though to be fair, Warzone is exactly what they advertised from day one.) Spartan Abilities, all-random respawns, and map callouts are just the superficial red flags.

Everything is derivative for no reason. 'Default' Infection in Halo 5 is Alpha Zombies + Last Man for -Yoink- sake. Nothing is vanilla. Nothing is the real thing. Just like Halo 4, except THIS time 80% of the variants are missing, even after they added some of the missing gametypes.

With Arena in general in Halo 5, 343 is like some kind of cruel ice cream shop that refuses to sell their award-winning flavors despite how much customers beg or pay for them.

CTF is always multi-flag and always has flagnum. No one flag CTF. Assault is always Neutral Bomb, there is never two bombs. The FFA playlist has no FFA variants, not to mention awful spawns carried over from Team Slayer, and the TS playlist always being Team Slayer with again, no variants (not to mention Slayer is always Team Slayer instead of 'Slayer' being FFA like always, and TS being the team variant.) Action Sack is full of horribly niche and experimental custom games that people only play when they're bored of Fiesta, VIP, or cult classics like Fat kid and Jump rope; basically the GOOD custom games, are what they decided to leave out.

The ranking system... The ranking system is generic. It's competitive ranks from other games, with the only difference being max rank is called 'Champion' instead of 'Master'. Completely pasted over, and the worst part is there's no competitive settings (because 'Social' settings don't exist either.) All ranked playlists have radar, Spartan Abilities, no party matching, and awful anti-spawntrap-coded respawns built into all the maps. Just casual garbage everywhere. The 1-50 CSR system from Halo 4 is literally perfect in comparison.

Actually it is because there were statistically more people buying/playing Halo.
Greats points. I was just think a few nights ago that a one-flag game type would be really enjoyable. Two-flag usually ends up in both teams having a flag with the flag carrier hiding, then it just turns into a slayer match with longer respawns until someone can find one of the hiding flag carriers.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14