Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why are haters hating?

OP KhaosTheory55

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
So this is not meant to start fights, no bad mouthing each other and other childish nonsense.

Here goes nothing, why do people hate Halo 5? I want to know specifics, not "just because" or other baseless reasons. I'm curious and would like input from the community. I have my own gripes about pieces of the game but overall I loved it. So please, enlighten me.
I love it too I think most people are just afraid of change.
I think it mostly started when Pop Tarts hit the market. It was a brand new pastry . . . a knock-off, many would've said back then...but look at them now...popping and tartin' all over the world. Hell, I've even seen some being cooked mid-game using 343's toaster over Sniper Scopes.

TLDR - These threads do absolutely nothing positive.
I love it too I think most people are just afraid of change.
Someone in another topic was actually congratulating 343i for their courage of splitting the Halo community into "the old Halo fan" and the "new fan". What I mean is 343i is not Bungie and will never be. They are working toward a new Halo with their own view of the future. We are lucky to still be able to playing Halo and mostly that it still feels like Halo. Hate it or love it...
Disclaimer:
The following aren't all necessarily my own views.

The Requisition System. Play a million Warzone matches so you can get halfway decent weapons and maybe occasionally unlock a hideous piece of armor that you despise. Then watch as everyone else inexplicably has tanks and snipers while you still have yet to even unlock a DMR in order to ping them back. Slowly realize that Warzone is actually a pretty bland gamemode and the only reason you're still playing it is to unlock more requisitions to use in it in a never ending cycle of irrationality.

The Campaign. Marketing had almost no relevance to the actual experience, play as Chief for a grand total of three missions, and watch as Halo's story evolves into a strange Terminator spin-off while any loose threads Halo 4 left us with are ignored entirely or lazily summed up in one quick cutscene with Locke stabbing Jul in the neck.

Content. Choose between these amazing modes: Warzone, Strongholds, Capture the Flag, Slayer, One Life Slayer, Slayer with Snipers, Slayer with Rockets, Free for All Slayer, and Team-Slay-Metal-Slayer-To-The-Extreme-Deathmatch. What, you want to play something other than Slayer variants, like some good ol' Zombies or King of the Hill? Too bad. More on the bulletin on the bulletin on when we can expect to get those things later.

The balance sucks because the Assault Rifle isn't strong enough and the Magnum is too powerful and the Bee-Are is a power weapon and-*vomit*. No, sorry, even with the disclaimer at the beginning I still can't bring myself to type that nonsense. But some people legitimately do hold those views, for god knows what reason.

The overall direction of the franchise. Some people just want good old classic Halo. They don't want to play with all these convoluted abilities like spartan-slide and thrust-pound and what the -Yoink- ever else. Contrary to popular belief newer things aren't inherently better things, and some people just genuinely enjoy the classic style gameplay more.
Haters gunna hate.

I find it hard to forget the MCC launch. I try to be positive and constructive but when a company messes up that badly it should not be forgotten.

That said I think halo 5 is a great game once we have social playlists and forge :)
Theres a Taylor Swift song about this, best thing to do is shake it off.

Though I still don't understand why they come back and lurk the forums, whenever I have really not liked something, I just leave. No forum posts to rile everyone up and definitely no lurking for weeks/months.
halo 5 is much more different but i think its much better and much more fair with the new stuff. as in not being able to charge shields when running away, that makes it fair since there running. plus alot more different stuff
There is always going to be haters! That's just how it is, constructive I understand, but some people just love to hate.

Players gunna play... play, play, play.
Haters gunna hate, hate, hate, hate.

Shake it Off!
Most who hate it can't get over their opinion is Halo is walk crouch jump and trigger pull BR and/or they don't know the Halo story as well as they think or jus don't like where 343 has gone with the story.
There is always going to be haters! That's just how it is, constructive I understand, but some people just love to hate.

Players gunna play... play, play, play.
Haters gunna hate, hate, hate, hate.

Shake it Off!
Players gonna play for two weeks then go play COD.
So this is not meant to start fights, no bad mouthing each other and other childish nonsense.

Here goes nothing, why do people hate Halo 5? I want to know specifics, not "just because" or other baseless reasons. I'm curious and would like input from the community. I have my own gripes about pieces of the game but overall I loved it. So please, enlighten me.
People are afraid of change

...because it was change (mutation-type change) that brought us Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5.
Aiming. Please hurry up with the fix, its making me a lot angrier than it should.

Also, is matchmaking broken at the moment?
Their commitment to 60fps handicapped them from the start. I started the campaign hoping to be immersed in this excellent next gen beautiful Halo atmosphere. Instead the whole thing was a jarring experience what with all the ugly textures, bad pop in, drawn in shadows, poor muddy draw distance, no dynamic lighting, flip book animations when your not up close to enemies, incredibly underwhelming "set pieces" and just the missed opportunity in general. When I thought it couldn't get any worse I entered multiplayer. I couldn't believe they had launched without many game modes that people liked like king of the hill, snipers, oddball, infection, and they left out big team battle at launch which is insane. It was clear why they had left it out. They didn't want it to take attention away from their abomination called warzone, which is a forcing of MOBA elements into a game that has no place for MOBA elements. It's also a way for them to shoehorn their microtransaction system in.

My friends and I quit playing a week in. I'm just visiting the forums to see how the mood is on this game now. Not looking too good. But a games forums is a place to find the vocal minority, so I guess the player base could be ok potentially.
I think it's a fun game, I just think people aren't used to change & you "can't make everybody happy." There's some people that want Halo to never change & all that will happen is a select few will still love Halo & it will get dusted by the competition. There is not a ton to change about Halo 5 for me to keep me happy, but the things I can think of:

1.) The maps aren't great. This is what everybody should be talking about first & foremost, not the aim/radar/etc. 343i has never made maps that are "classic" Halo maps like Bungie did for a while. (although I feel Bungie went downhill after a while too) I don't like how all the maps look like plastic & how they basically are carbon copies of each other. Not enough uniqueness & variety.

2.) People go on & on about the motion tracker in Arena, but I say leave it alone or just SLIGHTLY increases it by a couple meters. I noticed in Free-For-All it can be a pain, but in the other modes it wasn't too bad. The thing that I understand that is frustrating is the weapons in Halo have a bit more range now as far as the Assault Rifle, etc, but they haven't made the motion tracker any bigger really. So you can spawn in a base, start to run out of it & get shot in the back way off the screen because of the increased range of the guns

3.) I think BTB Forge maps were a mistake at first. They should have made like 3-4 really good BTB maps then released Forge maps over time as an added extra

4.) 343i kinda "twists" the truth a lot. They said 15 campaign missions, which there weren't. There were 12 because 3 of the missions you just went up & talked to somebody & the mission was over. They said 6 Warzone maps on disc. Then you find out it's the same 3 maps in 2 different playlists, just alternate versions.

5.) REQ balance, I think they actually did a really good job of this considering all they added to the game, but some further balancing is needed. For instance, the Whiplash Railgun probably needs to be toned down in the number of shots you get with it at 4 REQ. Do the Splinter Grenades also need to EMP a Tank for instance? Those should just do a set number of damage to a Tank or vehicle when it hits them once, that's all so if the vehicle is one hit, it should kill them. Also, I feel like you get REQ a little too fast in Warzone:Assault now. That used to be the playlist I could go into to play something that felt a little more "tactical" like you were slowly tactically taking over a base. Now you get REQ so much faster that sometimes I'm level 5+ REQ at the first base. It just turns into everybody spamming their cards at the last two bases now. I think it did need to be increased, but I think they increased it too much.

6.) Aiming, it's not classic Halo aim so people are complaining, but we're getting more control over it in December. I think it barely needs tweaking honestly.

7.) Lack of Social. They desperately needed two Social playlist at launch, but they built the whole game around Arena/Ranked/eSports. That was a DUMB decision. I'm fine with ranked playlists, but there needed to be a 5 vs. 5 Social Slayer playlist & a fun playlist like ActionSack at launch. All the casuals moved on to other games. Some people couldn't even play with their friends because all their friends were Onyx & they were Gold or the like, it's not fun that way.

8.) Last one, but I'll just say it...even for a hardcore Halo fan the campaign was really average. Too many Michael Bay cutscenes, story that you just wanted to skip, & the campaign didn't feel like "Halo" except for a few of the missions. What made people fall in love with Halo were the big, wide-open levels that were long with Marines by you side getting into large firefights or closer up in your face melee/grenade/gun battles. H5 just felt like super linear Call of Duty style campaign with all the action cutscenes you never get to actually take part in.

...because it was change (mutation-type change) that brought us Reach, Halo 4, and Halo 5.
Reach was pretty good. Halo 4 tried to be what it's not and Halo 5 went back to it's roots as an Arena Shooter and everybody is still complaining.

Reach was pretty good. Halo 4 tried to be what it's not and Halo 5 went back to it's roots as an Arena Shooter and everybody is still complaining.
Oh...H5 took Halo back to it's roots, eh? Shocking. I guess there were games before Halo: CE that I missed...

Edit: I'll agree and say Reach was ok. It was great content/customization-wise.

Oh...H5 took Halo back to it's roots, eh? Shocking. I guess there were games before Halo: CE that I missed...

Edit: I'll agree and say Reach was ok. It was great content/customization-wise.
Or you never played CE at all. All Halo 5 did was add Spartan Abilities for ALL players and bring Halo back to it's roots as an Arena Shooter like it was in the original Trilogy. And that's a simple fact.
Theres a Taylor Swift song about this, best thing to do is shake it off.

Though I still don't understand why they come back and lurk the forums, whenever I have really not liked something, I just leave. No forum posts to rile everyone up and definitely no lurking for weeks/months.
I was gonna post that! lol
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3