Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why are people upset about free DLC?

OP Jonah48532

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 17
Can we have permanent playlists at launch.
Donbot wrote:
The reason all DLC was made free was because 343i didn't want the community to splinter off into DLC and base game audiences.

Yeah some of it is stuff we've seen before like Infection but at least it's there now.

I don't see the problem, happy with the content. The updates keep bringing me back.

Too many people complain about anything and everything these days.
As I've said before in this thread, your ignorance on the points that the other side brings to the table is astounding to say the least. Start looking through this thread to see why we "complain about anything and everything these days."
EndersEye wrote:
mostly because the free DLC is putting things in the game that should have been in at launch. it's kinda like they're holding back stuff that was already in the game and just putting it in monthly updates (this does not apply to all things, but griffball, infection, the UI, ect)
That's the beauty of a DLC you can put stuff in a game that would make it better after official release.
Jonah48532 wrote:
Why are people upset about free DLC would you rather have to spend money on buying new content?
They're upset because:
"ERMAHGERD Bungie is SO much better than 343, they ruined Halo, and never did anything good. c'mon guys lets go play Destiny, where we can pay $5 for some ridiculous dance-move microtransaction pack!"
There is an astounding level of misunderstanding and straw man arguments in this thread.

For an issue that has been around for half a year, you guys don't seem to understand your opposition very well.

I'd love to explain it but frankly explaining something dozens and dozens of times gets old.
You're my favourite person on this site.
Cause they didn't get a falcon lol ;p
Because someone dosen't get exactly what they want.
Dis guy gets it nyess (FF refrence)
I'm not upset I love it, makes me keep coming back
Jonah48532 wrote:
Why are people upset about free DLC would you rather have to spend money on buying new content?
They're upset because:
"ERMAHGERD Bungie is SO much better than 343, they ruined Halo, and never did anything good. c'mon guys lets go play Destiny, where we can pay $5 for some ridiculous dance-move microtransaction pack!"
Lolololollllolololololoo so tru I shud now I play density 2
This IS NOT DLC PEOPLE. They are UPDATES. I feel bad for the people that paid $100 for the legendary....

If you cherish your $60-$100 you SHOULD expect more from a game especially if other games are coming out that have more content to delve into...

Black ops 3 the witcher the division and many other games all have paid dlc that loads you up in content. Even gta v that was rereleased on the next generation consoles get free dlc...

free dlc is cool if we were really getting DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT. But we aren't.... They are just updating your game you bought... Not giving you free dlc.
EndersEye wrote:
mostly because the free DLC is putting things in the game that should have been in at launch. it's kinda like they're holding back stuff that was already in the game and just putting it in monthly updates (this does not apply to all things, but griffball, infection, the UI, ect)
This

Because people are going to say "it should have been in at launch" like everything they had in their MCC fever dreams was going to magically materialize.
Because they are whining about how everything isn't 100% perfect and up to their standards
That's because those people are right!! a lot of the stuff SHOULD of been in at launch! You don't agree with the majority of people who think Halo 5 launched with the least amount of content ever??? Because it did! It was terrible! This is HALO! not some new IP!

Err I don't know about you, but when I buy something, I do want it perfect. Don't you??? ... Man I don't understand kids today and there way of thinking. Your the kind of people who have the attitude of "oh it's good enough" or you pre order games and paid the full amount. Ridiculous!!!

One-

It isn't free, you paid $60 for an unfinished game. And if you don't like that, it is microtransaction funded (paid for by someone else)

Two-

Bad quality; Halo 3 offered is quality maps every three months or so for like $10 each. Halo 5 offers us microtransaction funded crap (remix maps of ones we already have, easy to make emblems and weapon skins, and one or two weapons along with an armor set that may or may not be good looking).

I'd rather pay $10 every 3 months for quality material than have something that should've been in the game in the first place over the course of 9 months at a price to others/myself ($60 purchase)
LethalQ wrote:
Because someone dosen't get exactly what they want.
This essentially.... but also there is the argument that paid dlc would mean we would get better content with the dlc. If the have to sell the dlc they would have to make it good enough for people to be willing to buy. For example they wouldn't get away with remixed maps in dlc map packs. People would see remixes and say.... I am not getting that I pretty much have that map. The community loses out either way..... free dlc where every one gets the maps or paid dlc where we get to different populations in a already dwindling community.
I agree with LethalQ. The idea of free DLC is great, and I prefer it, who wouldn't!! BUT i'd rather paid $10 every 3 months as Turtle boy 1999 says for good quality maps then to keep getting a bunch of remix maps because as lethalQ says if 343I made a bunch of remix maps and then charged $10 for them, no one would buy them. So I agree, either way, we lose. Free or paid :(

Jonah48532 wrote:
I think people just need to quit feeling entitled to everything and work with what you have.
If Halo 6 ships with nothing but Slayer, I'm totally going to quote you with this.
I'm sorry but the lack of content halo 5 had at launch HURT halo 5. Do you not understand this?? It hurt the game population, reputation and sales of Halo. 343I and MS should be concern about that and hopefully they have learned there lesson with Halo 5. People buy a halo game and expect a certain level of quality and content. When a halo game comes out and lacks one of both of those things, people are going to complain and I don't blame them. It's a joke that Halo 5 had less content then every halo game before them. It's not a matter of being entitled at all. It's like TruncateComb6 says, if halo 6 launches with even less content then halo 5, are you not going to be upset about this? If not your insane i'm sorry and you must have no standards or they must be very low because, You should be! People need to hold developers to a high standard. It's good for us and it's good for them!
One-

It isn't free, you paid $60 for an unfinished game. And if you don't like that, it is microtransaction funded (paid for by someone else)

Two-

Bad quality; Halo 3 offered is quality maps every three months or so for like $10 each. Halo 5 offers us microtransaction funded crap (remix maps of ones we already have, easy to make emblems and weapon skins, and one or two weapons along with an armor set that may or may not be good looking).

I'd rather pay $10 every 3 months for quality material than have something that should've been in the game in the first place over the course of 9 months at a price to others/myself ($60 purchase)
You number one is not sound. The microtransaction, 343 is not forcing anyone to do them. People choose to do it. As for all the special packs it was up to the person to puy them and if you noticed this last special pack was added to Memories of Reach. For the number two I don't see how it was unfinished. Everything worked. We had a good sets of maps. If you still say it is unfinished, then in truth all Halo games and many other games for that matter that have being coming out since Halo CE have been unfinished. Cause DLCs have been around for a long time. As for the maps. Halo CE didn't have that many maps when it came out Blood Gulch, Chiron TL-34, Hang 'EM high, Battle Creek, Chill Out, Death Island, Damnation, Derelict that is 8 maps. Halo 2 Ascension, Beaver Creek, Burial Mounds, Coagulation, Colossus, Foundation, Headlong, Ivory Tower, Lockout, Midship, Waterworks, Zanzibar. That is 12 Maps. Halo 3 had Contruct, Epitaph, Guardian, High Ground, Isolation, Last Resort, Narrows, Sandtrap, Snowbound, The Pit, Valhalla. That is 11 maps. Halo 4 Abandon, Adrift, Complex, Exile, haven, Longbow, Meltdown, Ragnarok, Solace, Vortex, Erosion, Impact, Ravine. That is 13 maps. Halo 5 just in arena Gambol, Trident, Coliseum, Eden, Plaza, Empire, The Rig, Truth, Fathom, Regret, Trench, Crossfire, Altitude, Orion, Pegasus at total of 16. Halo 5 five shipped with twice as many maps as Halo CE, 4 more maps than Halo 2, 5 more than Halo 3, and 3 more than Halo 4. Yes Forge didn't launch with the game. But in my humble opinion it was a good thing. it gave players the time to play around with the default maps and learn what can be done now that we had the new abilities and the forge maps that have come out are great and I am sure a lot of these maps would have gone through a lot of major changes after they were created. Instead the people knew what they wanted. Before the game came out I am sure they had ideas. But I am sure they would not have been as great when their creators first created had the game shipped with forge.
In a year from now.. All of this will be irrelevant.
In a year from now.. All of this will be irrelevant.
Even though people still talk about and bring up MCC.....
In a year from now.. All of this will be irrelevant.
I doubt it. Halo 6 will be out with just Warzone and Arena and the fight will continue since it seems no one is going to hold them accountable for selling half a game.

It sucks twice as much for me as I bought the statue edition thinking it was going to be one of the top Halo games. Shouldn't have fallen for the tricks yet again. Now I paid 250 for a $15 game.
People are used to better content that would come from paid DLC. But then people complain about the price do its a lose/lose either way.
I love the free DLC, yeah you don't get what you want, but you have to work for it to get it which keeps the game playable and interesting. If we all got what we wanted off the bat then there would be nothing to work towards and the game would get dull.
We need this DLC
In a year from now.. All of this will be irrelevant.
I doubt it. Halo 6 will be out with just Warzone and Arena and the fight will continue since it seems no one is going to hold them accountable for selling half a game.

It sucks twice as much for me as I bought the statue edition thinking it was going to be one of the top Halo games. Shouldn't have fallen for the tricks yet again. Now I paid 250 for a $15 game.
I'm sorry bro....
There is an astounding level of misunderstanding and straw man arguments in this thread.

For an issue that has been around for half a year, you guys don't seem to understand your opposition very well.

I'd love to explain it but frankly explaining something dozens and dozens of times gets old.
You have to repeat the cult keywords...
"but it's free"
"dlc divides community" (but locking content behind a pay/time wall doesn't?!)
When those two fail, go with...
"but, but, look at Bungie"
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
  8. ...
  9. 17