Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why are the graphics so bad

OP CAGOA

In BTB some of the textures there look terrible compared to arena maps, its quite embarrassing to see such poor visuals on the flagship game for the Xbox one.
Arena Maps are hand crafted from scratch with external modeling software. Most of the BTB maps are made with forge objects. It actually is a huge improvement over Reach's "All featureless grey surfaces, all the time" maps and Halo 3's similarly featureless slabs, but it's always going to be a step or two behind the made from the ground up ones.
Arena=dev maps

btb=forge maps

therein lies the difference, however it's not the graphics that are the cause.
Arena=dev maps

btb=forge maps

therein lies the difference, however it's not the graphics that are the cause.
Graphics visuals whatever you want to say it still looks horrible.
I think the BTB maps look pretty good now. sure this was a valid complaint before the refresh. they may not be as good looking as say torque or tyrant but they still look good. The graphics over all of H5 aren't that impressive. they aren't much a step up from H4 really.
Feels to me you're blowing that a bit out of proportion by saying 'horrible' but to each their own.
CAGOA wrote:
Arena=dev maps

btb=forge maps

therein lies the difference, however it's not the graphics that are the cause.
Graphics visuals whatever you want to say it still looks horrible.
Yet allows for more complex maps with more items. They listened to what the major Forgers wanted in regards to forge textures.
The graphics are not bad. You just don't like them.
CAGOA wrote:
Arena=dev maps

btb=forge maps

therein lies the difference, however it's not the graphics that are the cause.
Graphics visuals whatever you want to say it still looks horrible.
It's more to do with the style being forge. As sylxeria said tho it's better than reach being nothing but grey metal. Being how they're forge made they really aren't that bad, and it's more important to judge them on how they play rather than how they look but that's just me.
CAGOA wrote:
In BTB some of the textures there look terrible compared to arena maps, its quite embarrassing to see such poor visuals on the flagship game for the Xbox one.
The BTB maps are made in forge. When most people go into forge, ugly things come out. These maps were made in forge. For a forge map, any of them is outstanding.
LethalQ wrote:
I think the BTB maps look pretty good now. sure this was a valid complaint before the refresh. they may not be as good looking as say torque or tyrant but they still look good. The graphics over all of H5 aren't that impressive. they aren't much a step up from H4 really.
I love all the small maps there right up there with best looking games on consoles to date, the BTB ones are bad I play MCC to look at crap and expect current gen here.
CAGOA wrote:
Arena=dev maps

btb=forge maps

therein lies the difference, however it's not the graphics that are the cause.
Graphics visuals whatever you want to say it still looks horrible.
It's more to do with the style being forge. As sylxeria said tho it's better than reach being nothing but grey metal. Being how they're forge made they really aren't that bad, and it's more important to judge them on how they play rather than how they look but that's just me.
Ok I hear you, for forge made they are good and obviously appreciated but for non halo fans it must be such a turn off.
Until 343i allows people to craft their own maps in Cinema 4D, Blender, Maya, etc etc the Forge maps will always end up behind the dev-crafted ones. That's just how it's going to be. You're playing with essentially an early-Gmod when you use Forge, so you're limited with your options. Very limited. So of course it's not going to look as good.
Why does it even matter? I've never understood the obsession over graphics. I'd rather play Super Mario 64 over Battlefield 1 any day. Graphics are meaningless and have no effect over enjoyment of a game (unless you somehow get enjoyment out of staring at a textured rock). So why?
Sylxeria wrote:
Arena Maps are hand crafted from scratch with external modeling software. Most of the BTB maps are made with forge objects. It actually is a huge improvement over Reach's "All featureless grey surfaces, all the time" maps and Halo 3's similarly featureless slabs, but it's always going to be a step or two behind the made from the ground up ones.
nah, i disagree, despite the resolution halo 3 still has by far the best forge graphics, just add shadows and the pieces look as good as the dev maps.
CAGOA wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
I think the BTB maps look pretty good now. sure this was a valid complaint before the refresh. they may not be as good looking as say torque or tyrant but they still look good. The graphics over all of H5 aren't that impressive. they aren't much a step up from H4 really.
I love all the small maps there right up there with best looking games on consoles to date, the BTB ones are bad I play MCC to look at crap and expect current gen here.
I would say that the H2A maps actually look a bit better than the H5 maps. I don't know if you saw the BTB maps before they did the refresh but they are way better now.
Why does it even matter? I've never understood the obsession over graphics. I'd rather play Super Mario 64 over Battlefield 1 any day. Graphics are meaningless and have no effect over enjoyment of a game (unless you somehow get enjoyment out of staring at a textured rock). So why?
I've said similar things myself in the past when preferring a bad looking game to one similar that people choose just because visuals are better so understand why you asked this.
Like some others said, reason most maps have such terrible graphics is because they're made in forge, and color selection is VERY limited on building props/walls. Seriously, can't remember the BTB map name, but it's the ugliest out of the ones I remember playing. Lime green.....lime green everywhere(nothing wrong with the color, it's just......everywhere).
Graphics only matter to me in campaign.
lock incoming
LethalQ wrote:
I think the BTB maps look pretty good now. sure this was a valid complaint before the refresh. they may not be as good looking as say torque or tyrant but they still look good. The graphics over all of H5 aren't that impressive. they aren't much a step up from H4 really.
I completely disagree. They are much better but they have gotten more cartoony (which I hate) making them look like they are worse.