2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 28
There are a lot of issues with Halo 5 that contribute to low population: low replayability due to few MP options being by far the biggest problem. I don't think 343 should go back to the old Halo layout. Are you genuinely saying you want to go back to a shooter where you:

1. Walk around the map at a snail's pace
2. Have no unique abilities, equipment, or the like
3. Can do nothing but walk, crouch, shoot, and throw grenades

The third thing being the main point. Those old Halo games were great in their time, but re-implementing this would be simply brutal. I was playing MCC the other day. I hadn't played a Halo without sprint for a while. I felt RIDICULOUS. I'm a Super Solider walking around so slowly that if someone starts shooting me I don't even have a shot to get to cover before I die.

Most TRUE Halo fans don't quit the series so easily, even if they aren't entirely happy with the new innovations in Halo 5. The people who have stopped playing Halo aren't coming back if we move back to the old system, but the new Halo players who like the new system will almost certainly leave if that happens. I think moving back to the old system would just, at this point, result in a larger decrease in population size.
Wrong- do you see any threads against the thruster pack? Ground pound? No

Sprint? Yes

For the millionth time, sprint is no more than an illusion, making you feel like it's faster than the classic games, it isn't. I'm sick of saying this, so go read the full thing somewhere else if you haven't seen it already.

Also the super soldier arguement is weak- why do you have to use a button/trigger/stick to move faster? Why not move faster at all times! I am a super soldier!--In the classics you move at the same relative speed as you do when sprinting, hence, strafing is faster and thus gameplay is faster. Now get that formula and add thruster pack, ground pound- just no sprint and Spartan charge and then you have a great game.

We don't want the same as halo 2/3, we want the old formula, with the good additions that I mentioned above. That is evolution, that is moving forward, especially after having 3 games with sprint that were not as successful as the games without it.

Another way to put it

Lets just say, when not sprinting, you are at 60% speed, then at sprint you hit 100%, whereas in the classics, you are at 100% at all times! Why is this good?

For strafing and combat of course!
Think about it, Halo 5- combat, sprint is not in effect, so therefore you move slower yes?
Now what if, you can keep that speed while in combat, wouldn't that speed it up? Yes?

Well that's what it was like, and that is why we argue against sprint, the arguement above, I have not seen around much, but the map one is the main one.
I havnt seen the old sprint argument worded like this. I just wanted to give you some props. Nicely done!

still pro sprint though lol
Appetight wrote:
Appetight wrote:
Why are people rejecting Halo going back to a formula like Halo 3 or 2 when it never got a chance to fail and is more popular than Halo is today? Maybe going back to something like that with out all this crazy movement would be pioneering in the right direction. Halo needs to take a stand as its own again. While yes the older Halo's are not perfect they are more popular than Halo is today and nver go a chance to die out. While Halo 5 is a great game it still isn't as popular. going back might be the right way to go instead of working on a new formula like Halo has been doing. I mean it cant hurt to try it right? all i want it the best for Halo and when i see how popular it use to be and how it has gone down it saddens me.
Also is there ANY way to see the population

of Halo 5?
Going back to old formula would in my mind, be daft. What's the point? I don't want to play the same maec
to be fair it worked and was popular and you can't prove it wouldn't be popular now. Yes i cannot prove it would be but it was and never got a chance to die out so who is to say it wouldnt?
Actually it has already been proven it does not work "now". The proof in every way is TMCC. If people truly wanted to play the older games the population in that game would be higher than H5. If my point was not valid then there would clearly be more people playing TMCC than H5.

If you want even more statistics and facts, H5 has only been out a few months and has already caught up to the sales of TMCC which came out over a year ago. Keep I mind TMCC is 4-5 games in one package. H5 is 1 game.

Nostalgia is just that. The older Halo games were great for that time. They truly were and some of my top played games Now they really feel just so dated. I enjoy the campaigns but just don't enjoy playing the older mp any more. Just feels so expired.

I have been playing Halo for well over 10+ years and I truly like the direction they took with H5. Especially warzone.
Face palm... Wrong wrong nice try. With how 343 released that game and how -Yoinked!- up it was it didn't have a chance. You sir are way off base. If it released flawless AND 343 knew how to do playlists it would be very succesfull... lmfao you used this argument... besides the game being broken, the playlists are such a mess you cannot play the halo you want to play...
I really, really doubt the "old formula" would still work. And I honestly I didn't like it anyway, Halo 3 proving to be my least favorite multiplayer.
LethalQ wrote:
I don't think we are afraid to go back it's just 343 is incompetent and they seem to think if they do anything the way bungie did something they get cancer or something. They seem to want to change stuff just for the sake of change as well. Whether it was good or for worse they were like eh let's change it.... They also have clearly put profit ahead of all else. Lack of game modes and maps etc.... given up on fixing mcc... I feel Halo days are numbered.
100% agreed Lethal
The Sector wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
I don't think we are afraid to go back it's just 343 is incompetent and they seem to think if they do anything the way bungie did something they get cancer or something. They seem to want to change stuff just for the sake of change as well. Whether it was good or for worse they were like eh let's change it.... They also have clearly put profit ahead of all else. Lack of game modes and maps etc.... given up on fixing mcc... I feel Halo days are numbered.
100% agreed Lethal
Their heresy will stay their feet, and MS shall leave them behind. and some of the community may have only played through MCC and don't realize the full potential of previous titles.
Appetight wrote:
Why are people rejecting Halo going back to a formula like Halo 3 or 2 when it never got a chance to fail and is more popular than Halo is today? Maybe going back to something like that with out all this crazy movement would be pioneering in the right direction. Halo needs to take a stand as its own again. While yes the older Halo's are not perfect they are more popular than Halo is today and nver go a chance to die out. While Halo 5 is a great game it still isn't as popular. going back might be the right way to go instead of working on a new formula like Halo has been doing. I mean it cant hurt to try it right? all i want it the best for Halo and when i see how popular it use to be and how it has gone down it saddens me.
Also is there ANY way to see the population of Halo 5?
I'm never afraid to go back, in fact I'm always looking for people to play a game of 3, reach, or wars.
I think the main issue is that people cannot embrace change.
Because people that don't know what makes a good Halo game. Halo 2 in my opinion is the best, but I love Halo 5. I can see why people hate the new modern games but you either move forward or get stuck in the past.
They left it on a high, if people make a halo 6 with halo 3 mechanics, they will then realize how it fails, and ruin the "glory" of all old halos.

Preserve the best game and don't give it a chance to fail.
In my opinion the old Halo formula got stale, yes was and still is fun but the game felt stagnant to me. If Halo Reach's beta hadn't showed me that the game could evolve and become more than it was, I wouldn't have bothered to buy the game. Old Halo got kind of boring, it can be fun for a while but in small doses. If I want to play the outdated multiplayer I'll pop in one of my many Halo discs or the MCC and enjoy it for what it is. I don't want to pay for something that plays exactly the same as something I already own in 2015, I want to enjoy something new. Frankly Halo 5 was a step backwards in my opinion, trying to satisfy all the rose tinted eyes of the fans who think they want Halo to devolve back into Halo 3. I can say without a doubt that I would not buy Halo 6 if it was just Halo 3's multiplayer with a new coat of paint. Period.

There is literally nothing that can be done to bring Halo back to its prime, back then it was basically the only game in town. It was the best shooter around and there wasn't much competition, so every played it, grew up on it and now they have nostalgia goggles on and can't get over it. A new FPS comes out all the time taking away from the potential fanbase, Halo will NEVER be what it was. All we can do is enjoy it for what it is now.

Also this is just my opinion and I know I'm in the minority, I don't expect anyone to agree with me.
I agree. I never understand when people say "the series has to change to stay popular!", yet, the more the series changes the less popular it becomes. The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies here. At this point there is clear downward trend in sales and population as the games get away from the formula of Halo 2/3, so what exactly is the harm in bringing back that style of play? At worst the series continues to decline like it already is. It's worth a shot.
I dont believe anyone is afraid to go back, I mean we do go back and enjoy the previous. But we want growth and new innovations.
i think halo 5 had a rough time, this year, lets face it, some of the best games released. Cod, star wars, fallout, a GoW collection, Witcher 3, Rainbow 6 Siege, it was not an easy year for halo, but yet, it got decent ratings, but not enough people want it because they are probably busy on something else. Also, games are fast, we dont leisurely jog anymore, and 1 weapons doesnt beat everything now.
I would be fine with halo 2 not 3 halo 3 was so broken to me nothing hit were you shot
Ramir3z77 wrote:
We know that games like Battlefront are ahead of Halo 5 on the population list.
We know the population of those games through developer released numbers.
Therefore, we can deduce that Halo has a smaller population, and that population is somewhere under 120k.

Quote:
Going back to old formula would in my mind, be daft. What's the point? I don't want to play the same maec
Because all three original games were the exact same.

Most franchises stick to the same formula. Learn what a formula is.
That is the weakest argument on this thread. You state that Battlefront (a game meant to be a remake) is higher on the population of Halo 5. Since when did population determine how good a game is? Does the amount of subscribers set the quality of a YouTube channel? A game is measured by how fun it is, not how many others play it.
Halo 5 lacks content. Warzone is fun for a minute but I enjoy fighting people to get to key weapon spots. Now anybody spawns with whatever they want. Kind of takes some competitiveness away. Bigteam maps are all forged which shouldn't happen with a blockbuster game release imo.
Fear is not the issue with going back. Going back is simply an impossibility. Its a fundamental state of existence that things move forward. Attempting to go back and follow a previous game formula for a new game still wont produce the same experience you long for. Even if the formula is followed, it would still be a different game and a new experience. Either way, you have to learn how to accept change, be those changes big or small.
There are a lot of issues with Halo 5 that contribute to low population: low replayability due to few MP options being by far the biggest problem. I don't think 343 should go back to the old Halo layout. Are you genuinely saying you want to go back to a shooter where you:

1. Walk around the map at a snail's pace
2. Have no unique abilities, equipment, or the like
3. Can do nothing but walk, crouch, shoot, and throw grenades
1. ...You mean like in Halo 5? The maps are huge in 4v4 and you can't shoot at all if you use any of the Spartan Abilities... lol
2. 'Unique' ...you mean like armor abilities? No... no, I'm pretty sure we've been over this as a community and it's something we didn't want for Halo 5. Equal starts take priority over all, and I would LOVE to bust out Hardlight Shield or Active Camo in BTB, but it doesn't make the game better.

3. You know what else you could do? Actually get around the map quickly and defend yourself...
Uh many of us do not want to go back because we enjoy the changes implemented in Halo 5. I cannot even imagine playing Halo without Sprint, ADS, Climbing, Jet Packs, Ground Pound and Spartan Charge at this point. The changes are absolutely fantastic and the very thought of lumbering slowly around a map circa 2007 is humorous at best.

Halo 5 is far and away the best Halo game ever made. The changes implemented in Halo are superb and have greatly enhanced the Halo experience. Moreover, I have no interest in looking back. I am older than most of you and have watched gaming go from infancy to a multi-billion dollar industry. I want and expect innovation. I want superb graphics, high framerates and fantastic game mechanics.

343 delivered big time. They made the perfect next gen Halo game in Halo 5. I cannot imagine how they are going to top themselves with Halo 6 but I can't wait to see what they come up with. I sincerely hope they add even more Spartan abilities. I also sincerely hope they kill off the Chief. Time to move on. Locke is great. The Chief is old news.
Ramir3z77 wrote:
We know that games like Battlefront are ahead of Halo 5 on the population list.
We know the population of those games through developer released numbers.
Therefore, we can deduce that Halo has a smaller population, and that population is somewhere under 120k.

Quote:
Because all three original games were the exact same.

Most franchises stick to the same formula. Learn what a formula is.
That is the weakest argument on this thread. You state that Battlefront (a game meant to be a remake) is higher on the population of Halo 5. Since when did population determine how good a game is? Does the amount of subscribers set the quality of a YouTube channel? A game is measured by how fun it is, not how many others play it.
Please point out in my post where I said that.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 28