Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why can't I sprint? Someone please help!

OP LavenderStar226

I go to sprint so that I can bust through those stupid barriers with the shoulder charge, but it takes me forever to get the stupid sprinting to work right. Then I often miss my target and have to try again. I realize that the shoulder charge could potentially be a good offensive maneuver as well. Is there a guaranteed way to sprint instantly every time? Would it be easier with an Elite Controller? I know on 360 sprinting in CoD and Destiny was something that didn't work perfectly, but it wasn't this hard. This is my first One game, which I've only had for a few weeks, so I don't know if generation, controller or practice have anything to do with it. This is a very frustrating mechanic.
Could you elaborate more on the problem you're having with sprint? Is it taking too long to sprint or are you just having problems with the spartan charge mechanic?
I go to sprint so that I can bust through those stupid barriers with the shoulder charge, but it takes me forever to get the stupid sprinting to work right. Then I often miss my target and have to try again. I realize that the shoulder charge could potentially be a good offensive maneuver as well. Is there a guaranteed way to sprint instantly every time? Would it be easier with an Elite Controller? I know on 360 sprinting in CoD and Destiny was something that didn't work perfectly, but it wasn't this hard. This is my first One game, which I've only had for a few weeks, so I don't know if generation, controller or practice have anything to do with it. This is a very frustrating mechanic.
You might look at your control scheme. If sprint is on a button that is unnatural for you, that might be the source of the issue. I used to play recon, but when the beta came I had to work for quite a while to find a scheme I liked for Halo 5. It turned out to be Halo 4 for me, oddly enough.
My problem is getting a sprint going in the first place. I click the stick like ten or twenty times maybe before I see the sprint animation.
Perhaps your Spartan needs to focus more on cardio instead of the bench press!
Could you elaborate more on the problem you're having with sprint? Is it taking too long to sprint or are you just having problems with the spartan charge mechanic?
My problem is getting a sprint going in the first place. I click the stick like ten or twenty times maybe before I see the sprint animation.
It may seem silly, but you are holding forward on the one stick while you click the sprint button right? And you are only clicking it once?
May need a new controller.
Try switching your control scheme. Then try clicking the stick to see if it does whatever action it's supposed to on that scheme.
If it doesn't work then your control stick is sticky.
Check your controller settings. Make sure you have the right layout, and enabling "maintain sprint" may help.
Maybe your button is broken. Try it out on a different control scheme
Go to the eggheads and make them re-calibrate your armor, Spartan.
You cannot sprint because you have been infected with classic halo disorder.
Go to the eggheads and make them re-calibrate your armor, Spartan.
It's not the armors fault.
It may seem silly, but you are holding forward on the one stick while you click the sprint button right? And you are only clicking it once?
As far as I know, you click the left stick down while you push the same left stick forward. I don't know what you mean by "sprint button". As far as clicking it once, I don't remember exactly. I think I just play with it until it works. It seems like it takes a few minutes. It should work instantly.
When you start to sprint it takes about a full second until you reach full speed ( that's when the brackets replace reticule) when you see the brackets you can then press melee to do a spartan charge.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

I looked at "maintain sprint", but it was already on. I'm certain I don't need a new controller, either.

What I decided to do was change my control scheme / controller settings. I went with Boxer because it was the first one on the list that had neither sprint nor melee as stick clicks. As it turns out you have to press forward, then press sprint and then press melee to do a shoulder charge. That takes a few seconds, but it is much faster than before.

This new arrangement is going to take some getting used to. Unfortunately, Halo has never let players change the button configuration in a freeform manner. As it is I ended up changing six different button assignments. I should only have to swap two. Oh, well.