Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why did H5 change Cortana’s appearance?

OP Geth Pathfinder

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo 4 Cortana looked the best. In Halo 5 Cortana looks weird. It would be one thing if she changed in the story, however, the flashback in the beginning of H5 has Cortana with the same look.
I remember reading some complaints about her being to... how shall we say....shapely... in H4. So that could have been a factor. Also story wise she clearly went through some sort of change while in the domain so not surprising her appearance changed as well. Also some say the Cortana in H5 may not even be the real Cortana. She maybe a copy or something of the original Cortana.
Who knows really, but she wasn't the same in every game, so I don't think it's unusual that they changed her look again.
I mean, she didn't look that way in Halo 3 leading up to Halo 4.
She was thicc in Halo 4. It was a good look but didn't feel like the same Cortana I think the combo of her rampancy and the softer side we saw as she experienced that paired with her new thicc self just didn't feel like the digital warrior princess who holds the keys to the Galaxy's reset button we saw in the past. I did like Halo 4's model better than 5 but I'm optimistic with the next iteration we will get a more familiar Cortana. Even if she is crazy now.

Btw is anyone else bummed they didn't just leave her dead? I felt like that was one of the more daring and frankly better choices that was made in the Spartan ops filled mess that is Halo 4. Then Halo 5 comes and I'm just wondering what has happened to this story.

So on the whole it's an artistic change you will see another if you play infinite. And if that doesn't do as well as they want you will probably see another after that 😋
In my mind, they made the change because H5 Cortana is an independent leader as opposed to an AI companion in prior games. That would explain the full body armor and new attitude. At least, I would hope that’s the reason and not some other unnecessary one. It fits the plot of H5, but I miss the old Cortana’s personality and appearances.
She was thicc in Halo 4. It was a good look but didn't feel like the same Cortana I think the combo of her rampancy and the softer side we saw as she experienced that paired with her new thicc self just didn't feel like the digital warrior princess who holds the keys to the Galaxy's reset button we saw in the past. I did like Halo 4's model better than 5 but I'm optimistic with the next iteration we will get a more familiar Cortana. Even if she is crazy now.

Btw is anyone else bummed they didn't just leave her dead? I felt like that was one of the more daring and frankly better choices that was made in the Spartan ops filled mess that is Halo 4. Then Halo 5 comes and I'm just wondering what has happened to this story.

So on the whole it's an artistic change you will see another if you play infinite. And if that doesn't do as well as they want you will probably see another after that 😋
I am glad she is not dead... I guess I am one of the few who didn't think she died at the end of H4. At the end all she told Chief was "she wasn't going with him this time."... Now it was assumed by most she died but I know I didn't. Now I don't like the way they brought here back. Being saved by the previously said to be destroyed domain . But I chalked that up to maybe they just thought it was and there was more to the domain than they realized... Kinda like how they didn't realize there were other Halo rings out there until they found another one.
LethalQ wrote:
I remember reading some complaints about her being to... how shall we say....shapely... in H4. So that could have been a factor. Also story wise she clearly went through some sort of change while in the domain so not surprising her appearance changed as well. Also some say the Cortana in H5 may not even be the real Cortana. She maybe a copy or something of the original Cortana.
I mean Cortan changes in every game. I just didn’t like the look of Cortana in Halo 5. Besides Cortana’s “shapely” appearance, she looked innocent but almost in pain in Halo 4. It kind of fits her state in Halo 4. In Halo 5, Cortana looks more manipulative and powerful. It fits the story of H5 but I think that if she had an innocent appearance it could convince the player that she is more sympathetic. This would make the player more like Master Chief himself, being manipulated by Cortana(or a rampant Cortana personality).
the halo 4 cortana is way to revealing is what i think to be honest its better in halo 5 now i dont have to feel awkward in front of my friends and family while playing halo
I posed this question in another thread but had some comment about Halo 4 Cortana tied to it so it was flagged, but has anyone noticed her appearance has become less aggressive as the games go on? Just look at her facial aesthetic as her bone structure becomes less defined. Curious if this was to accentuate her personality or if it was the result of better graphic design technology...but she looks drastically different game to game.
If you follow the games in sequential order (keeping in mind Cortana is an A.I.) it actually makes ALOT of sense why she would have changed.

Think about it... According to the story line A.I.'s are supposed to be destroyed after 7 years because they become overloaded with a never ending evolution of their own learning algorithms. This creates the "rampancy" (or multiple personality disorder) Cortana experienced in H4. When she assisted Chief, in order to defeat the Didact, she divided her rampant personalities from her core processing in order to infest the ship the Didact was in. Some of her personalities were destroyed in this process, while others servived within the domain itself.

(I must point out that not much is really known about the domain other than the fact it is everywhere).

These parts of her personality that were in the domain were given the opportunity to evolve beyond their initial programming. Since her initial "host" was Master Chief it makes sense that her evolution would incorporate similar exterior structures, such as her apparent armor, as she evolves. The reason Cortana has this God complex in H5 is because she is incomplete. Basically... She is lost.

The A.I.'s were initially designed to help Spartans with their own psychological disorders... But its kind of ironic that the A.I.'s need the Spartan, just as much, for their own, for lack of a better word, sanity.

All this being said there is a strong possibility Cortana will have evolved further and will take on a different external appearance in Infinite... And don't be surprised if she changes her appearance as the game progresses. Its just as likely her evolution will be increasing as the campaign progresses... I'm curious to see how 343 is going to play out her ending though... Too many possible outcomes
the halo 4 cortana is way to revealing
That’s why I like it! But jokes aside, I actually like her face better in Halo 4 than other games. Halo 5 Cortana never looked right to me.
343 is really just being experimental with the new design's for characters my best cannon guess for why she looks different is that the Cortana in halo 4 and 5 are completely different A.I.
Most likely reason: They got complaints about how she looked in Halo 4. A little bit of sex appeal (granted, in a game series where there's zero of it) seems to rustle some jimmies. So they cover her up in Halo 5.

Reason as it pertains to the game itself: Cortana's an AI. I'm sure she's more than capable of changing the way she looks if she so chooses.

But, yeah, in my opinion, her appearance changing from Halo 4 to Halo 5 has nothing to do with anything that goes on within the game.
the halo 4 cortana is way to revealing
That’s why I like it! But jokes aside, I actually like her face better in Halo 4 than other games. Halo 5 Cortana never looked right to me.
yeah thats why most people liked it i like halo 5 cortana she still looks innocent and not revealing reminds me of halo 2 cortana
If you follow the games in sequential order (keeping in mind Cortana is an A.I.) it actually makes ALOT of sense why she would have changed.

Think about it... According to the story line A.I.'s are supposed to be destroyed after 7 years because they become overloaded with a never ending evolution of their own learning algorithms. This creates the "rampancy" (or multiple personality disorder) Cortana experienced in H4. When she assisted Chief, in order to defeat the Didact, she divided her rampant personalities from her core processing in order to infest the ship the Didact was in. Some of her personalities were destroyed in this process, while others servived within the domain itself.

(I must point out that not much is really known about the domain other than the fact it is everywhere).

These parts of her personality that were in the domain were given the opportunity to evolve beyond their initial programming. Since her initial "host" was Master Chief it makes sense that her evolution would incorporate similar exterior structures, such as her apparent armor, as she evolves. The reason Cortana has this God complex in H5 is because she is incomplete. Basically... She is lost.

The A.I.'s were initially designed to help Spartans with their own psychological disorders... But its kind of ironic that the A.I.'s need the Spartan, just as much, for their own, for lack of a better word, sanity.

All this being said there is a strong possibility Cortana will have evolved further and will take on a different external appearance in Infinite... And don't be surprised if she changes her appearance as the game progresses. Its just as likely her evolution will be increasing as the campaign progresses... I'm curious to see how 343 is going to play out her ending though... Too many possible outcomes
Two horns and a Succubus tail. I'm calling it right now!
I mean, she didn't look that way in Halo 3 leading up to Halo 4.
Yeah, I mean she changes in each game. The problem is that I never thought she looked right in Halo 5. I got use to each Cortana avatar in Halo 1-3. I always thought that H3 was how Cortana was suppose to look in the earlier games. Halo 4 changed Cortana but I figured it was the new 343i reclaimer trilogy look. But they threw it out in Halo 5.
it seems to be implied that Cortana can choose her own physical avatar. Joe Staten even said this back in 2007 on the Halo 2 developer commentary.
it seems to be implied that Cortana can choose her own physical avatar. Joe Staten even said this back in 2007 on the Halo 2 developer commentary.
I was thinking this too. To further the theory does anyone know who played the motion capture model for Halo 5? Bc if it’s the same person in Halo 4 which is Mackenzie Mason, perhaps it was more than just an artistic change.

EDIT: Just found that it’s a different model by the name of Lani Blazier for Halo 5.

Two horns and a Succubus tail. I'm calling it right now!
SMH 😥
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2