Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why do people hate the friendly AI that heal you

OP ExcusableSword

I think the reason we do not like the AI is because we never had the ability to be regenerated. In the games that came before Halo 5 when you died and you went back to your last checkpoint but in Halo 5 that is not the case. I think that when we saw the friendly AI we started to rely on them to much, instead of excepting our failure we got upset about our teammates not healing us. Let's just say we used our teammates to release some steam when we should have been thankful for when they did give us a second chance.
I think the reason we do not like the AI is because we never had the ability to be regenerated. In the games that came before Halo 5 when you died and you went back to your last checkpoint but in Halo 5 that is not the case. I think that when we saw the friendly AI we started to rely on them to much, instead of excepting our failure we got upset about our teammates not healing us. Let's just say we used our teammates to release some steam when we should have been thankful for when they did give us a second chance.
OP, have you ever played “Aliens: Colonial Marines”? If so, you probably remember the ridiculously inept friendly AI that it was criticized for. The AI would face walls, shoot at literal environmental props, and just take otherwise useful weapons only to waste them.

The healing AI in H5 is very much the same. It tries to run through walls, basically commits suicide by healing me with no regard for the enemy, and is stopped by petty environmental props that even the blind can circumnavigate faster. When we get a mechanic like this, we expect it to be consistently functional. Of course, it can’t work all of the time. That would make everything supremely easy. But it can’t not work because of stupid things like a shelf in its path. At least make it so that the AI is too busy fighting enemies around you to get to you, or the AI is facing too much general resistance.

In short, the AI is hated because it’s poorly made and is held up by some really stupid -Yoink-. Even in areas where it should be certain that you’ll be healed, you might get -Yoinked- by one misplaced box. It’s just that bad.
Bxnnyson wrote:
OP, have you ever played “Aliens: Colonial Marines”? If so, you probably remember the ridiculously inept friendly AI that it was criticized for. The AI would face walls, shoot at literal environmental props, and just take otherwise useful weapons only to waste them.

The healing AI in H5 is very much the same. It tries to run through walls, basically commits suicide by healing me with no regard for the enemy, and is stopped by petty environmental props that even the blind can circumnavigate faster. When we get a mechanic like this, we expect it to be consistently functional. Of course, it can’t work all of the time. That would make everything supremely easy. But it can’t not work because of stupid things like a shelf in its path. At least make it so that the AI is too busy fighting enemies around you to get to you, or the AI is facing too much general resistance.

In short, the AI is hated because it’s poorly made and is held up by some really stupid -Yoink-. Even in areas where it should be certain that you’ll be healed, you might get -Yoinked- by one misplaced box. It’s just that bad.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
I don't like friendly AI because they are dumb... Remember reach...Kat's driving off cliffs or into walls or rocks... The AI in H5 weren't much better. The heal was a gimmick introduced since most of H5 happens where UNSC were not located it didn't make sense to have health packs around. I didn't like how I had to tell spartans, supposedly the best warriors around, to pick up the stronger weapons. They should have automatically done that. They also didn't seem to fight very well. I would usually use them as Cannon fodder or just instruct them to some obscure loction on the map to be out of the way.
LethalQ wrote:
... Remember reach...Kat's driving off cliffs or into walls or rocks...
*sad violent music playing in the background while reliving Kat running me over...or bumping me and sending me flying across the map...or just standing at the driver side watching me get shoot repeatidly....*

*shoots Kat once in the face*

Lmao
I think the healing ability is fine. It's how dumb the AI are that was already pointed out which is the issue.
Okay so I can sum up why it's hated with one of my own experiences. I just got done doing all the campaigns legendary so this is fresh in mind.

Halo 5, first mission on Sangheilios, Legendary. Fairly early in the mission you come across a fair sized area with multiple jackal snipers. If you're not aware, the Jackal snipers in 5 are almost as bad as the ones in 2 in terms of how fast do they spot 'n one shot. As I go to enter the area, I move up a small incline and get ready to take aim and counter snipe, before I can however I am thoroughly splatterated by a Jackal sniper. I proceed to have our dear friend Locke call for assistance from his fellow Spartans, who are standing around six feet away at most.

All three of them stood in a neat line, stared at me, did nothing, and proceeded to get picked off by the jackal sniper. They didn't even move. Just stood there, stared at me, and died on the spot.

That's why people hate the friendly AI.
Mainly because their programming makes them nothing more than Mario Kart CPU bots. Their programming is so simplistic that they wont heal you even if youre in front of them. I actively make an effort to kill every single one of them at least once per mission. 'cept fer Buck. Nobody touches Buck
I didn't like them because halo has never been about commanding a squad. There is also the fact that the AI was horribly incompetent and wouldn't even stay in a position you sent them to.
Got to agree with many other posts that one reason for that is dumb A"I" (as in artificial "intelligence", in a loose term).
Not saying that its the dumbest AI that has been ever made but its still more annoying to see each of teammates die one by one in suicide runs or failed jumps off the cliff and then later magically appear than simply dying and restarting at some point. And the fireteam members are supposed to be important and known characters so why make such maps where they can easily drop off or make them so that they run headfirst into gunfire.

I get you need to make some use of command mechanic but the AI is so idiotic without commands they dont seem to be much of a supersoldiers.

Other than that. There doesnt seem to be missions where you happen to be away for your team for one reason or another. It doesnt help that when compared to, say, Marines in older Halo games they are really boring and even annoying at points.

Other than that. It just feels like too much of a pampering in a game that already utilizes regenerative health mechanic and checkpoint system.
I don’t think anyone was mad that they healed you but more of the fact that they AI were garbage that they never helped. And the used the healing and an example. Most people prefer doing it solo anyways

to recap it’s not that they hate that the AI heals just That they are useless most of the time so what’s the point of having them
Shouldn't you be able to just point that thing at yourself and "heal" yourself? 🙂
I think that its more annoying for people to sit for 60 seconds, waiting to be revived and watching their team get killed, or being knocked down again right after being revived, the system worked in games like gears of war because the characters were a lot more durable, and unless hit by a one hit kill weapon, can take a hit after getting up, in halo, the AI just get one tapped by melee on legendary, which is annoying. the old system needs to return, or a toggle feature or skull should be added to remove revives (this would make friendly AI invincible, like in reach)
Artificial intelligence? More like artificial stupidity am I right?!
For me I dislike the AI in campaign because I kind of feel like it makes the game too easy since I always feel like I can just use them as a sort of stand by defib, so it's becomes a way to avoid being forced back to a checkpoint where more enemy's were. I don't mind them too much in Warzone since there only there to project bases but they do kind of seem useless in there since I've gone into bases and they just stand there doing nothing when enemy's around or oddly shooting into walls after the enemy's were already killed.

Either way I don't think future Halo need's the AI pickup revive feature again because it kind of doesn't suit Halo. The only other AI I might be ok with is the surrounding AI like the marines that we might sometimes defend, they might even get in the warthog to help.