Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why Do You / Don't You Like Spartan Locke?

OP NEXUS NX

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
Many people like Spartan Locke, and many people don't like him.

But why do you / don't you like him?
  • Is it his personality?
  • Is it the way he acts in the game?
  • Is it the character he is based on?
  • Is it his armour?
  • Is it because he is part of ONI?
Well I don't really hate or like Locke.....so I'm pretty neutral on what I think of him, but his armor pretty cool looking.
Spoiler:
Show
Well I don't really hate or like Locke.....so I'm pretty neutral on what I think of him, but his armor pretty cool looking.
Spoiler:
Show

Now that is what a Spoiler is for!
I don't like or hate him, but I don't care about him. That's just as bad as hating him I guess.
I don't like Spartan Cardboard, because, like the other characters, he was given character development that was as deep as a teaspoon.
Don't really have much of an opinion on him yet. I've seen Halo: Nightfall and even with that we still don't know much about him.

I do think he has the best looking armour in the game though. I keep meaning to go through all 224 armours to see if his is actually available lol I know his Helmet is but I like my helmet.
I can't say I like him, nor can I say I hate him because of his personality, or lack thereof. He's pretty boring right now. Granted, so was Chief, but I feel like Locke's personality isn't very strong.
After seeing Jessica Jones, I just really don't care for Colter's acting. I was not surprised one bit when they replaced his voice acting parts.
Omega O441 wrote:
I don't like Spartan Cardboard, because, like the other characters, he was given character development that was as deep as a teaspoon.
But at least Halo Nightfall was a step in the right direction for character development.
After seeing Jessica Jones, I just really don't care for Colter's acting. I was not surprised one bit when they replaced his voice acting parts.
I am surprised that people still are unaware of this. They replaced him back in 2015
He needs a defining personality or a defining moment....something defining. Right now he is a back character who gets an actor change in every sequel.
I liked him in trailers, but in game he is just another character.
If someone complains he's black, that's racist!

Just saying something to future posters...
I don't like him because he s too much of a generic soldier. He had little to character development in game and the only real background the casual player can find on him is from halo nightfall, even then there isn't that much to add to him.
He's just bland and a chief wannabe. He has no charisma and that doesn't make him an engaging character. I love his armour and his backstory being a hitman who has a history at ONI. He's just another character who had great potential but was executed terribly.
NEXUS NX wrote:

• Is it his personality?
  • Is it his armour?
I don't actively dislike him. He really didn't have enough of a personality for me to dislike him. I do understand the reason some people do dislike him however. Think about the adverts for a moment. He was set up in an adversarial role to the Master Chief a character a lot of us have a fondness for. In my case I've played as the chief through four games multiple times each over the years since 2001. To a degree I identify with the character, I think of him as 'me' when I am playing the game. I'm in control. I determine how well he performs etc. Now someone who was placed in an adversarial role (Regardless of whether it came up in the game) is going to garner a negative response. It's natural. Even if you don't identify as the chief, he is on 'your team' and those outside it are looked at negatively. This is true for me even though I find the UNSC to be morally despicable.

On top of that a lot of flack from the lackluster story was placed on his shoulders. He wasn't the problem, but he was an easy scape goat. After all a lot of fans have that emotional attachment tot the chief already and here is this new guy who has stolen the spotlight...getting twice as much 'screen time' in the chief's own game. There was similar disdain for the arbiter missions in Halo 2 at first, but the story eventually won people over.

Plus I'm sure a few people do have a bias against people of that skin color (not that most do or that is the entirety of it, but to some degree it is a contributing factor.)
NEXUS NX wrote:

• Is it his personality?
  • Is it his armour?
there is nothing wrong with Lock, he is just wasted as a character. I was expecting in H5G for him to be deceived by ONI to hunt and kill the Chief but the final product was nothing like this
The concept of his character is awesome, but the execution of that in the game wasn't very good; I heard too much of "understood, Commander" in-game. I felt like he was more robotic than the Chief.

I also don't like how 343i tried too hard to make us like him, going to extents such as killing off Jul 'Mdama in the first -Yoinking!- mission and having him "save" the Arbiter.
Locke is way better than Master Chief in every way. Kill Chief off and make Locke the main character.
can't say if i like or don't like locke... like everyone in h5 he has no real character at all (certainly no character development)
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12