Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why Do You / Don't You Like Spartan Locke?

OP NEXUS NX

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 12
Here's my take. Lockers hard -Yoink- mentality is reminiscent of all soldiers in older movies, so in on one hand he seems bland. On the other hand, in the last decade or so, every form of media is displaying their warrior heroes as very 3d, displaying multiple emotions, convictions, etc. Which by all means is a good thing. But, the pendulum has swung so far, it is pleasant to see a cold hearted agent with no emotions. What once was run of the mill, is now a diamond in the ruff.

That's why I like Locke. Plus he works for ONI. I think we will see some major plot points come from his shady actions in the future (or at least I hope so).
I am big on sentimentality for Chief, so when it felt like they were rubbing him out I was upset. However, what made me really not like Locke as a character was Nightfall. The actor was an absolute bore. I mean Nightfall itself was atrocious in my opinion and that may have played a large part in my lack of interest, but he came across as utterly forgettable.
Locke is way better than Master Chief in every way. Kill Chief off and make Locke the main character.
how could you say that!? chief ha lived in our hearts for about 15 years now, just for you to say " kill him off" ? we have known chief since the first time his cryo-stasis pod opened.

Locke, is ( I have not seen nightfall So sry about that ) a character made to replace chief, and many of us veteran halo players don't want that. ( I'm pretty sure the first time I played halo i was 3 or 4 )
Omega O441 wrote:
I don't like Spartan Cardboard, because, like the other characters, he was given character development that was as deep as a teaspoon.
Have you seen Halo nightfall or not?
Lock is not a bad guy. He is actually a really good guy. Anyone who has seen Halo nightfall knows that. He's not against Master Chief, he is with him. He has a duty and has seen a lot. Sure he learned the hard way not to mess with John...but he more than made up for it when he rescued him. Oh, and Buck was funny?
because they put him into the plot, along with the rest of Osiris, almost by force
I'm indifferent when it comes to Locke.
Valle522 wrote:
Locke is way better than Master Chief in every way. Kill Chief off and make Locke the main character.
how could you say that!? chief ha lived in our hearts for about 15 years now, just for you to say " kill him off" ? we have known chief since the first time his cryo-stasis pod opened.

Locke, is ( I have not seen nightfall So sry about that ) a character made to replace chief, and many of us veteran halo players don't want that. ( I'm pretty sure the first time I played halo i was 3 or 4 )
I was only kidding dude haha was waiting for a response like this lol of course i dont want Chief killed off, Halo is Master Chief. Plain and simple.
The problem I have with Locke infact all the Spartans in halo 5 bar maby buck is the poor writing.
They had a golden opportunity in halo to present all these new characters to the halo universe and they failed horribly.
Poor writing
Poor development
Poor representation

By the end of the game I didn't care about any of these characters, there was no connection.
By the end of the game I couldn't even recall anything about them because they are so forgettable.

The problem is not these characters it's the poor writing and the missed opportunitys
He would've been better if he was given a better character. Just my opinion. And I actually don't mind his armor, I just don't like the color tone for it in Multiplayer.
He can't be serious...
omarlotrc wrote:
The concept of his character is awesome, but the execution of that in the game wasn't very good; I heard too much of "understood, Commander" in-game. I felt like he was more robotic than the Chief.

I also don't like how 343i tried too hard to make us like him, going to extents such as killing off Jul 'Mdama in the first -Yoinking!- mission and having him "save" the Arbiter.
Spoiler:
Show

Exactly. That, or have him face off against the Arbiter in an epic cutscene.
I don't like or hate Spartan Locke, or maybe not yet. Depending on what he going to do in the future. But I don't think he is going to be a hated character if you think through his personality and obedience toward things.
True to dat.
Sthammy wrote:
He can't be serious...
If he is, I think he's delusional. Lol.
I don't hate him, he's just not very memorable. A poor storyline kinda ruined his characters time to shine. Buck is highly charismatic and is the coolest part of fire team osiris. Any really, I think his spartan armor looks really dumb. It looks more like a weird skintight speedo than armor.
omarlotrc wrote:
omarlotrc wrote:
The concept of his character is awesome, but the execution of that in the game wasn't very good; I heard too much of "understood, Commander" in-game. I felt like he was more robotic than the Chief.

I also don't like how 343i tried too hard to make us like him, going to extents such as killing off Jul 'Mdama in the first -Yoinking!- mission and having him "save" the Arbiter.
Spoiler:
Show

Exactly. That, or have him face off against the Arbiter in an epic cutscene.
Even better
he's pretty much a useless character. the hao universe would be the same. in my opinion, it should've been fireteam crimson instead of osiris
I like Locke for what he could be, it just sucks that Halo 5 didn't give him the development he needed.
I hate Locke in the Halo 5 campaing, because he hasn't got any personality. Locke in the trailers is different story - this guy actually has got personality. We can see he is arrogant and confident character. It's funny that Locke has got more personality in ONE trailer than in Halo 5 campaing.
Looks like most people don't like Locke, or they are indifferent.

Personally, I think he is ok, but we should not be forced to play as him for most of the campaign in Halo 5, that is not the way to introduce a new Spartan. At least 50/50 Chief and Locke would have been better.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 12