Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why does everyone hate on Halo 5? It's amazing!

OP stukes09

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16
I love this game so much. I played all the Halo games and this is a thousand percent funner than any of them. Warzone is honestly the coolest game I've ever played. Sheer Tactical madness. It's like chess vs. checkers (aka slayer). Fighting over the bosses and all that and trying to set up the other team and steal their meat is awesome. I think the REQ system is rad and I love unlocking new weapons trying different vehicle pathways during a game to respond to the situation at hand. I think thrusters and Spartan abilities and armor mods and all that add a lot of dynamism and variability. So why do so many people think this is a bad game? That's all I ever hear.
While I do like Halo 5 I also can't help but think this post is just a bit..... Overly enthusiastic?

It's Halo 4 I see cited as the "worst" while Halo 5 was more a "Mixed Bag". Some of the complaints I feel are quite genuine (Most unlocks being RNG in the packs, Spartan Charge....) others are like Divided Opinions (Thrusters, Clamber, Warzone in general).

Great to like the game and all, but calling their opinions crap just because you disagree isn't fair to them.
Those are fair points. I do see a tremendous amount of negativity towards H5 in forums and what not and I am just trying to understand whats so bad about the game. Big deal if it's random unlocks. You get them all sooner or later. What's bad about clamber and thrusting? What's bad about Warzone? Seems like these all just add more dynamism and complexity. Sprinting is great, you can cross a map faster. But it comes at a cost.
I think is for the false "Hunting" and bc some players cant use some spartan abilites, but I think this is how a spartan be according to the lore
stukes09 wrote:
Those are fair points. I do see a tremendous amount of negativity towards H5 in forums and what not and I am just trying to understand whats so bad about the game. Big deal if it's random unlocks. You get them all sooner or later. What's bad about clamber and thrusting? What's bad about Warzone? Seems like these all just add more dynamism and complexity. Sprinting is great, you can cross a map faster. But it comes at a cost.
There's a thousand+ post thread on the Sprinting topic. Spend five minutes in there and you'll see it's one heck of a can of worms and one I'm not even going to go into here. Tread lightly voicing your opinions on that one. Clamber? Far as I can tell, a combination of "It disrupts the gameplay!", "It's not Classic / It's too modern!" and "It destroys parkour / skill jumping!" Well I can't and won't comment on the first two, but the third? Maps designed with old mechanics sure it'd break them, but new maps designed with it in mind it opens up more possibilities. Thruster? Same first two points as above more or less.

Again, however you look at it - positive, negative, or neutral - everyone has their right to have their own view on these things, and we should respect that even if we don't agree. I like thruster and clamber, but hate Charge and Pound.

Oh and as a recent post said, there was the whole promise of an epic 'hunt' for the Chief and we got a brief cutscene. "Is he a traitor!?" Hah, he told us where he was going and what he was doing. No grand mystery at all.
Cause people like different things.
For me it comes down to the movement mechanics and story.

Movement Mechanics:
The formula that worked so well for Halo for so long is gone. Before Halo 5, changes to the sandbox were more prominent while the movement remained the same. You could move, jump, throw grenades, melee, deploy equipment (H3), etc while still keeping your gun up and in the fight. Now every time you employ some advanced movement mechanic, you can't use your gun. So this brings up a question for me: which style of movement is more advanced? The one where you can do everything all the time, or the one where you have to choose between combat and moving? Plus, the second you engage in combat, the whole game slows down. You go from sprinting, clambering, etc to normal speed so you can bring your gun up and start shooting.

Every level is designed with movement mechanics in mind. The hallways are longer and the ledges are higher. So you can't just say "don't use them if you don't like them", because it puts you at a competitive disadvantage not to use them while others are.

On a personal note, I really just don't like the whole power rangers aesthetic. We went from augmented super soldiers to full on super heroes, and it kinda breaks the immersion for me. I can stay immersed in a universe where a human has been enhanced beyond normal human limits, but I have a hard time remaining immersed when humans are augmented to the point of being literal gods in combat with the ability to practically fly and do "super hero landings" via ground pound.

Story:
This has been talked to death, so I'll instead suggest you watch some reviews on Youtube about the story. Act Man made a 6 part video series discussing why the story was so bad, if you're interested in watching of course.
Thanks a lot, y'all. Very interesting feedback to ponder. My vote is still that 343 made a huge net improvement with this game. It is by far the best in the series, for me anyway. Thanks, 343! I am looking forward to 100 man Warzone in Halo 6, w/ gargantuan maps 10 times as big as the current ones. With a dozen bases and 5 teams playing at the same time, Pelicans parachuting Spartans into enemy bases, God only knows what epic strategic madness you will come up with.
I'm with you OP.
343 tried to modernise Halo and I think they did a fantastic job, going back to older Halo games is rough for me as they are so slow and floaty, I know many people like that but not me... Even when watching streams, hard to watch MCC.

Halo 5 let's me pull off crazy moves and jukes, I feel like a badass Spartan like I should.
Spartan charge can usually be countered with your own melee or thrust, ground pound is always a risk to do as it leaves you vulnerable if you miss, but it feels so good if you connect.

The weapon balancing is pretty much perfect, maps and generally pretty good... Those who say previous Halo games have better maps have short memories, they were all a mixed bag.

It will be a shame if infinite dials all this back, which it probably will because the so many people want to be stuck in the mud.

Also!
I liked breakout, been watching naded play it the last few days and it was intense!
man57er19 wrote:
I think is for the false "Hunting" and bc some players cant use some spartan abilites, but I think this is how a spartan be according to the lore
Spartans do not hover,ground pound,spartancharge,or have ads in the lore.
man57er19 wrote:
They have thrusters, and all these abilities use thrusters.
man57er19 wrote:
Actually, you'd be amazed at the things they pull in the books. When it comes to doing new things though, it's easiest to just say "New model." which tends to be the case. Though that doesn't explain why our Assault Rifle doesn't have a grenade launcher on it...

ADS is a game mechanic anyway though.
man57er19 wrote:
Thrusters are never used like that in lore.Thrusters are only used in zero g or in free fall.Ads never existed because there neural link provides the reticle
man57er19 wrote:
Thrusters are never used like that in lore.Thrusters are only used in zero g or in free fall.Ads never existed because there neural link provides the reticle
Yeah they don't ground pound and all that but it still makes use of thrusters so it makes sense.
Gotta make it into a fun game at the end of the day, Spartans probably don't respawn either :)

Edit- not meaning to agrue btw, I get what OP means that's all.
man57er19 wrote:
Yeah they don't ground pound and all that but it still makes use of thrusters so it makes sense.
Gotta make it into a fun game at the end of the day, Spartans probably don't respawn either :)

Ground pound doesnt make the game fun for me though.It just seems like they're trying to add mechanics from other games to appeal to that playerbase
man57er19 wrote:

Ground pound doesnt make the game fun for me though.It just seems like they're trying to add mechanics from other games to appeal to that playerbase
I guess that's the point of this thread, OP (and myself) like Spartan abilities... Most seem to hate them.

The feeling when I connect a ground pound is just satisfying, the brutal smack... It makes me feel like a beast and it opens up options, for example when being chased up a grav lift.
Same with the Spartan charge, love it!
man57er19 wrote:

I guess that's the point of this thread, OP (and myself) like Spartan abilities... Most seem to hate them.

The feeling when I connect a ground pound is just satisfying, the brutal smack... It makes me feel like a beast and it opens up options, for example when being chased up a grav lift.
I'm fine with thrusters,clamber,and slide.......everything else I'm not a fan of
You haven’t been paying much attention to critics online

To me personally Halo 5 is fun, but it is flawed in many ways, Campaign was a Hype Letdown with bland characters & a misleading campaign

Multiplayer is good but it’s too much focused on the competitive scene where casual players will be having a hard time playing, the Spartan abilities I find annoying

Req System is just our average Micro-transaction loot box where you can earn Points but also promotes buying them to buy everything & Armor is earned through them, what happened to earning Armor like Recon in Halo 3 or a Haunted Variant Of Pilot in Reach

Halo 5 is my least favourite Halo but I do enjoy jumping on it from time to time to play some matches, Halo 5 is not perfect but it is fun
man57er19 wrote:

So this brings up an interesting point for me, and somewhat conflicts with my opinions on enhanced mobility.

I'll admit that Halo 5 is actually a pretty good game, game play wise. But it's just not a good Halo game imo. If you leave aside for a moment that this is a Halo game, then all of the crazy power ranger stuff is quite fun and cool and interesting. I find enhanced mobility to be a fun way to experience an FPS in the right context. It makes for fun competitive play. But it just isn't Halo to me. I completely understand that there are folks out there, like you, who absolutely love it. But for those that don't, like me, it doesn't represent the essence of what Halo truly is at its core. There are plenty of games out there with enhanced mobility, and many of them are actually pretty fun to play. I simply don't find enhanced mobility to be what makes Halo great.

I don't mean to speak for everyone when I say this, but the general impression I've gotten and I agree with is that Halo 5 just isn't Halo, if that makes sense.
I'm loving halo 5 and many of the aspects of the game. The Spartan abilities don't bother me to much. I think the only ability that doesn't belong is ground pound simply because it isn't used much. At least people use Spartan charge and the occasional slide.

Recently I have been playing Halo 5 campaign, and I feel like I'm getting my money's worth form the campaign. I'm taking my time to play, explore, and even replay. Overall I'm having fun, and I kinda want everyone else to play campaign again.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 16