Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why does everyone hate on Halo 5? It's amazing!

OP stukes09

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. ...
  8. 16
MrDeath130 wrote:
MrDeath130 wrote:
Unfortunately it is because there is no middle ground in today's online communication. Things are either the best thing ever or they absolutely suck. So while Halo 5 is a blast to play, gameplay is super smooth, graphics are great, it's a big budget title, people will find a few different things they don't like an automatically the whole game is garbage.

It's a mindset all too common online. Personally there are things I like and dislike about Halo 5, overall I would give the game a thumbs up and it does far more right than wrong in my opinion, but all it takes is a few people who don't like the plot (which I don't really care for) and it "ruins" the entire Halo 5 experience for them.
You're really simplifying the issues people have with Halo 5: Guardians, and I think you know you're doing that. The game had incredibly deceptive marketing, a story which lacks character and world development, a story which ends on a cliffhanger, every single piece of the game aside from that story requires a yearly subscription fee to access, meaningless unlocks that are locked behind random chance and paywalls, DLC made up of cut content and user-created content to justify that unlock system, less content than nearly any other Halo game at launch, content which didn't function properly at launch, and many other issues. Halo 5: Guardians is loaded with anti-consumer business practices, and that's why people dislike it.

To say that people dislike the entire game just because they disliked the direction of the story is disingenuous.
I'm just using that as a specific example. People have specific issue in varying degrees with any game. If you don't like all of that stuff about Halo 5 that's perfectly fine and I get that. What I was referencing more is the all-too-common extreme ends of the spectrum where there is no middle ground for constructive criticism. I've actually dropped off of reddit for this very reason, the most polarizing opinions make it to the top. And it's usually something simple like "Story in Halo 5 sucked I hate that game".

The subject of this post is a perfect example. "Why does everyone hate on Halo 5 it's amazing". Yeah you're not going to get anywhere with that. It's complete exaggeration to say everyonehates it. Simply not true. And then going with the opposite opinon. "Well it's amazing'. Sometimes things can be both, or have a varying middle ground.

I more dislike posts like this in general. Adds nothing to discussion, and it leads to idiots like me just shaking their heads .
I haven't personally seen that in regards to Halo 5: Guardians, but I have seen that elsewhere (especially in regards to DC vs Marvel cinematic universes.) Still, I'd argue that there's a lot more nuance to the perception of Halo 5: Guardians when it comes to how the majority feels.
MrDeath130 wrote:
Unfortunately it is because there is no middle ground in today's online communication. Things are either the best thing ever or they absolutely suck. So while Halo 5 is a blast to play, gameplay is super smooth, graphics are great, it's a big budget title, people will find a few different things they don't like an automatically the whole game is garbage.

It's a mindset all too common online. Personally there are things I like and dislike about Halo 5, overall I would give the game a thumbs up and it does far more right than wrong in my opinion, but all it takes is a few people who don't like the plot (which I don't really care for) and it "ruins" the entire Halo 5 experience for them.
We are talking about the greatest fps franchise ever made , the devs need to meet the standard in all areas and if they can't then simply don't do it . the community has made it pretty clear to 343 as to our expectations for infinite .lets not forget Bungie's worst title is still far better than any of 343s best offerings to date even with graphical enhancements, bigger budgets ect ect . There's a ready made formula in place all 343 needs to do is follow the steps and stay out of there own way .
MrDeath130 wrote:

We are talking about the greatest fps franchise ever made , the devs need to meet the standard in all areas and if they can't then simply don't do it . the community has made it pretty clear to 343 as to our expectations for infinite .lets not forget Bungie's worst title is still far better than any of 343s best offerings to date even with graphical enhancements, bigger budgets ect ect . There's a ready made formula in place all 343 needs to do is follow the steps and stay out of there own way .
I really hope you aren't implying that Destiny is better than the 343 Industries Halo games. While Destiny and Halo 5: Guardians have similar issues, Destiny is clearly the one that's a lot more anti-consumer. I'm not the biggest fan of 343 Industries, but even I have to give them that.
stukes09 wrote:
Those are fair points. I do see a tremendous amount of negativity towards H5 in forums and what not and I am just trying to understand whats so bad about the game. Big deal if it's random unlocks. You get them all sooner or later. What's bad about clamber and thrusting? What's bad about Warzone? Seems like these all just add more dynamism and complexity. Sprinting is great, you can cross a map faster. But it comes at a cost.
I get your point but I know a lot of people(like myself) still like the older games a little more, mostly for the story of halo, now it seems like they are focusing more on multiplayer and less of the story/campaign, they didnt introduce any new enemies, i feel like the promethians are just a broken record, I miss the old days when we were fighting to survive the flood. I'm hoping they can somehow bring them back into the mix.
God I hated the flood. I don't want a resident evil horror game. I want a war game
MrDeath130 wrote:

I really hope you aren't implying that Destiny is better than the 343 Industries Halo games. While Destiny and Halo 5: Guardians have similar issues, Destiny is clearly the one that's a lot more anti-consumer. I'm not the biggest fan of 343 Industries, but even I have to give them that.
No destiny implication at all. I should have worded it as bungie halo titles.
stukes09 wrote:
stukes09 wrote:
Those are fair points. I do see a tremendous amount of negativity towards H5 in forums and what not and I am just trying to understand whats so bad about the game. Big deal if it's random unlocks. You get them all sooner or later. What's bad about clamber and thrusting? What's bad about Warzone? Seems like these all just add more dynamism and complexity. Sprinting is great, you can cross a map faster. But it comes at a cost.
I get your point but I know a lot of people(like myself) still like the older games a little more, mostly for the story of halo, now it seems like they are focusing more on multiplayer and less of the story/campaign, they didnt introduce any new enemies, i feel like the promethians are just a broken record, I miss the old days when we were fighting to survive the flood. I'm hoping they can somehow bring them back into the mix.
God I hated the flood. I don't want a resident evil horror game. I want a war game
Agreed. The Flood got in everyone's way, I don't know how many Marines I accidentally killed saving them from the infection forms.
I love the multiplayer but the campaign I’m still not a big fan of, it got better but I’m not really in the story
Warzone is the bomb! I am not very good at playing 4v4 matches, so I LOVE being able to play with all the peeps!
Same here. I love the ultra customization for loadouts in Warzone, and can't wait to play some more soon!
I've played almost all the halo games and I think halo 5 is by far the worst. Its multiplayer is great but the campaign could use work. The only thing I really hate is being downed. You have to wait for the terrible a.i. to try and help you up, and it's a real pain on legendary
I've played almost all the halo games and I think halo 5 is by far the worst. Its multiplayer is great but the campaign could use work. The only thing I really hate is being downed. You have to wait for the terrible a.i. to try and help you up, and it's a real pain on legendary
How much time does anyone really spend in campaign versus multiplayer?
stukes09 wrote:
Does that really matter ? Halo has always been and will always be measured by the quality of its campaign and story . The expectation of a halo title by the fan base is incredibly high in all areas. mp,campaign ,forge and firefight are all expected core staples of the halo franchise ,
Honestly I think it’s partly the weak release and the horrible campaign that isn’t really worth playing and is hilariously easy compared to the other games. Also I think it’s a lot of people who played the original 3 halo games and hate on everything since reach because it’s not a carbon copy of halo 3 - which by the way had some serious flaws.
I don't know why the peoples hate this game... i like it!
Its most likely due to the campaign, lacking, some necessary elements, and sprint, and a few other things as well
stukes09 wrote:
Does that really matter ? Halo has always been and will always be measured by the quality of its campaign and story . The expectation of a halo title by the fan base is incredibly high in all areas. mp,campaign ,forge and firefight are all expected core staples of the halo franchise ,
Agreed. Another thing that people hate on is the fact that there is only three missions with master chief. I personally enjoyed the look on new spartans but I see where they are coming from
stukes09 wrote:
Agreed. Another thing that people hate on is the fact that there is only three missions with master chief. I personally enjoyed the look on new spartans but I see where they are coming from
I always felt the fatal flaw 343 made was trying to continue the chief/cortana story rather than focus on other parts of the halo universe . ( but thats a thread for another day )
Ok, this one goes for halo 4, and 5. Main problem. ART. Its like 343 is purposely sabotaging the franchise, the redesign of chiefs armor upset a lot of fans, they could've at LEAST gave it a canon explanation. I would not have minded the changes if they gave a valid explanation for them. Next is the forerunner structure design changes, the original designs were beautiful, but 343 had to go and mess that up too, it went from vast, ominous tunnels, to a bunch of weird, jagged, floaty things.
Ok, this one goes for halo 4, and 5. Main problem. ART. Its like 343 is purposely sabotaging the franchise, the redesign of chiefs armor upset a lot of fans, they could've at LEAST gave it a canon explanation. I would not have minded the changes if they gave a valid explanation for them. Next is the forerunner structure design changes, the original designs were beautiful, but 343 had to go and mess that up too, it went from vast, ominous tunnels, to a bunch of weird, jagged, floaty things.
So Art is the root of 343 problem , change that back, boom everything's fixed ? Interesting take indeed
I love Halo 5 don't get me wrong but the campaign didn't make any sense to me. 343 Industries did alright with Halo 4 but it dug them into a hole and Halo 5 tried to get out but I don't think they did. I love Warzone and Multiplayer but I really do miss local splitscreen. Also there is WAY to many armor customizations. Some I really do like and others I couldn't care less and i'm getting crappy armor sets from packs and it gets annoying fast. Although all these things get annoying I still play the game and enjoy it. I mean hey it's Halo so what's really not to like?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 12
  4. 13
  5. 14
  6. 15
  7. ...
  8. 16