Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why does everyone hate on Halo 5? It's amazing!

OP stukes09

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 16
tL Armada wrote:
If you don’t read the books, and you never played Spartan ops you wouldn’t know what’s going on. This sub species of Elites, are -Yoinking!- clunky Morons. They are no longer able to keep up with the movements of a Spartan whatsoever.

What is required from the books to be able to understand the game?

Spartan Ops was advertised as a post-campaign expansion that continued the story. It was provided for free for everyone, and again returned in the MCC. If people willingly withheld that information from themselves, they have no room to complain.
  • The Kilo Five Trilogy - Glasslands, The Thursday War, Mortal Dictata
  • The Forerunner Trilogy - Cryptum, Primordium, Silentium
  • Halo 4
  • Halo 4: Spartan Ops (cutscenes)
  • Halo: Escalation (really important comics that have been continuing the story for the past few years and are likely important to Halo 5)
  • Halo: New Blood (not essential but details the backstory of a character in Halo 5)
  • Halo: Nightfall (introduction to Spartan Locke, again, not essential)
  • Hunt The Truth Audio Logs -
You need to read all of this to understand a lot of the back story behind each of these characters, and understand their motivations.

Halo 4, and Spartan ops, are just the tip of the ice berg. Considering they took Jul out extremely quick and in the most embarrassing way imaginable. They also put the fate of the UR-Didact outside of the games as well.

You would have no idea that he killed a Spartan team, almost killed blue team, and got composed.
Only Halo 4 and Spartan Ops are really necessary to understand the basic plot point of Halo 5.

Yes, they detail the backstory behind the characters, but their backstory is not important to the basic plot of Halo 5. Don't believe me? Without using outside media, what's Johnson's backstory? How is he able to do any of the things he's done in CE-3 while just being a really good and smooth talking sergeant?

Everything you need to know what is going around around you is explained right there in Halo 5. The only thing missing is purposely hidden information like Warden Eternal's identity and purpose.
tL Armada wrote:
Background information?? Lmao. Ok dude, you’re literally entitled to your WRONG opinion. Check multiple forums and YouTube channels outside of this one.

You will find many people arguing this same point. So many people don’t know what’s going on that it’s insane. The data is literally in my favor here.
In your own list, you even state how they're 'not essential'. You'd be correct, they're not essential to Halo 5's plot. I read/watched/played all of those examples you gave, I know what they bring to the narrative table, and I'm telling you they aren't necessary. They give background, yes, background information about the characters and events, but they aren't integral to Halo 5's plot.
I can think of 2 examples that would need EU delving to know: Blue team reuniting with Chief and the discontinuation of the Janus Key. Both are shown in 2 issues of Escalations. That's it. Out of everything you listed, it's two things, and I'll tell you, they were shown in such a lackluster way that I can sum those points up with "Chief reunites with Blue team, says 'hi', then they go on missions together" and "Janus Key literally POOFS out of existence when Halsey fails a test. The end."

Ultimately, it's the sloppy structure of the game, and not some over reliance on the EU that is the source of Halo 5's woes.
tL Armada wrote:
If you don’t read the books, and you never played Spartan ops you wouldn’t know what’s going on. This sub species of Elites, are -Yoinking!- clunky Morons. They are no longer able to keep up with the movements of a Spartan whatsoever.

What is required from the books to be able to understand the game?

Spartan Ops was advertised as a post-campaign expansion that continued the story. It was provided for free for everyone, and again returned in the MCC. If people willingly withheld that information from themselves, they have no room to complain.
  • The Kilo Five Trilogy - Glasslands, The Thursday War, Mortal Dictata
  • The Forerunner Trilogy - Cryptum, Primordium, Silentium
  • Halo 4
  • Halo 4: Spartan Ops (cutscenes)
  • Halo: Escalation (really important comics that have been continuing the story for the past few years and are likely important to Halo 5)
  • Halo: New Blood (not essential but details the backstory of a character in Halo 5)
  • Halo: Nightfall (introduction to Spartan Locke, again, not essential)
  • Hunt The Truth Audio Logs -
You need to read all of this to understand a lot of the back story behind each of these characters, and understand their motivations.

Halo 4, and Spartan ops, are just the tip of the ice berg. Considering they took Jul out extremely quick and in the most embarrassing way imaginable. They also put the fate of the UR-Didact outside of the games as well.

You would have no idea that he killed a Spartan team, almost killed blue team, and got composed.
Only Halo 4 and Spartan Ops are really necessary to understand the basic plot point of Halo 5.

Yes, they detail the backstory behind the characters, but their backstory is not important to the basic plot of Halo 5. Don't believe me? Without using outside media, what's Johnson's backstory? How is he able to do any of the things he's done in CE-3 while just being a really good and smooth talking sergeant?

Everything you need to know what is going around around you is explained right there in Halo 5. The only thing missing is purposely hidden information like Warden Eternal's identity and purpose.
Again. Multiple sources repeat what I have said. You can argue with me until your blue in the face at what you understand as opposed to what others understand, but the data still supports my argument over yours.

Also, why is this the point that you two are focusing on? Are you just legit trying to defend this game or what?
tL Armada wrote:
If you don’t read the books, and you never played Spartan ops you wouldn’t know what’s going on. This sub species of Elites, are -Yoinking!- clunky Morons. They are no longer able to keep up with the movements of a Spartan whatsoever.

What is required from the books to be able to understand the game?

Spartan Ops was advertised as a post-campaign expansion that continued the story. It was provided for free for everyone, and again returned in the MCC. If people willingly withheld that information from themselves, they have no room to complain.
Again. Multiple sources repeat what I have said. You can argue with me until your blue in the face at what you understand as opposed to what others understand, but the data still supports my argument over yours.
What data? Because other people also conflate 'Halo 5's story is bad because EU' doesn't inherently make it correct. I've asked you to provide examples regarding this and you gave me a list of Halo's recent EU and just 'look around' response. You even noted yourself how some of those sources are 'not essential'. I've directly provided sources for what would be needed, and it is much smaller than your list. If you wish to counter that, feel free, but just saying 'look around' isn't helping your argument.

Also, why is this the point that you two are focusing on? Are you just legit trying to defend this game or what?
Not at all. I find the game's story quite lacking, but blaming the EU for it is a complete red herring.
I do like Halo 5 but it did make errors. I agree the campaign was NOT acceptable and bad story telling but custom games, forge and sometimes multiplayer is amazing. There are som things i didn't like such as no split screen, bad UI,buggy matchmaking, awful customization and i didn't enjoy warzone. There are some things to like about H5 and it did have really good ideas.

I get the false marketing did put us off and i did hate Halo 5's campaign. I was not a fan of enhanced mbpility and it didn't feel like halo. I do sometimes enjoy Halo 5.
Only Halo 4 and Spartan Ops are really necessary to understand the basic plot point of Halo 5.

Yes, they detail the backstory behind the characters, but their backstory is not important to the basic plot of Halo 5. Don't believe me? Without using outside media, what's Johnson's backstory? How is he able to do any of the things he's done in CE-3 while just being a really good and smooth talking sergeant?

Everything you need to know what is going around around you is explained right there in Halo 5. The only thing missing is purposely hidden information like Warden Eternal's identity and purpose.
Again. Multiple sources repeat what I have said. You can argue with me until your blue in the face at what you understand as opposed to what others understand, but the data still supports my argument over yours.
Show this data that's so foolproof then? You didn't provide a single source yet, you just did the equivalent of "I'm right and everyone else is wrong."

Also, why is this the point that you two are focusing on? Are you just legit trying to defend this game or what?
I have a dozen other reasons to dislike this game, I don't need to make up reasons to dislike it.

It sounds like you're more upset that someone is providing credit where credit is due over the actual argument.
Only Halo 4 and Spartan Ops are really necessary to understand the basic plot point of Halo 5.

Yes, they detail the backstory behind the characters, but their backstory is not important to the basic plot of Halo 5. Don't believe me? Without using outside media, what's Johnson's backstory? How is he able to do any of the things he's done in CE-3 while just being a really good and smooth talking sergeant?

Everything you need to know what is going around around you is explained right there in Halo 5. The only thing missing is purposely hidden information like Warden Eternal's identity and purpose.
Again. Multiple sources repeat what I have said. You can argue with me until your blue in the face at what you understand as opposed to what others understand, but the data still supports my argument over yours.
Show this data that's so foolproof then? You didn't provide a single source yet, you just did the equivalent of "I'm right and everyone else is wrong."

Also, why is this the point that you two are focusing on? Are you just legit trying to defend this game or what?
I have a dozen other reasons to dislike this game, I don't need to make up reasons to dislike it.

It sounds like you're more upset that someone is providing credit where credit is due over the actual argument.
I’m not upset in the least. I’m more baffled by the stupidity honestly. The game has its positive points, yes.

But this point about needing to know the source material is what people all over the web has cited as being a main and major problem with Halo 5.
I respect everyone's opinions. I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the campaign and, at least for me, Im like, who cares? How many hours does the average player spend in the campaign versus multiplayer? I mean for me the ratio is 1 to 10,000. I understand for others it might be different. Isn't it boring to just keep replaying the campaign by yourself? MP never gets old. Big team super fiesta, warzone, custom games, etc. My main judgment of the game is based on those experiences. I really enjoyed the campaign too but I only played thru it once or twice.

The only thing that makes me sad about Halo 5 is the fact that I have been playing for a quite a while now and it seems that there is an unbridgeable gulf between me and really good players. I have no idea how they play the game so effectively while I get obliterated half the time. I have watched a bunch of videos and tutorials and try to increase my skill but it seems I have kind of plateaued in the middle of the pack. Maybe I am too old, neurologically, and my reaction times or something are never going to be good enough. I mean I still do quite well sometimes getting 20+ KDA, etc. But when I get matched with the real animals out there, it's lights out, Irene. This of course is no criticism of the game. It's just a bit discouraging to keep playing knowing you will always be second rate lol
Nope halo 5 is very poor with a horrific launch ,

however i I think the multiplayer is ok with many flaws and fails I enjoy it and many others do , but I don’t like it that much and it’s my second least favourite halo game .
Why are all you people who dislike Halo 5 so much still active on its forum, 4+ after launch? Sounds like you still must be playing and enjoying it
I’m not upset in the least. I’m more baffled by the stupidity honestly. The game has its positive points, yes.

But this point about needing to know the source material is what people all over the web has cited as being a main and major problem with Halo 5.
Yes, and people like to parrot what they hear from other people (YouTubers, in your example) without knowing what they are talking about in the first place.

Seriously, if the data is so well documented, what is a major plot point in Halo 5 that is both important to the story but not explained in the main series?
stukes09 wrote:
Why are all you people who dislike Halo 5 so much still active on its forum, 4+ after launch? Sounds like you still must be playing and enjoying it
Because this is the official Halo forum owned and advertised by 343i and Microsoft. You don't have to play the game to be on the forum, you barely have to own a Halo game at all.

One's enjoyment of the game has little to do with the topics that can be discussed in it. Not every topic is positive.
I’m not upset in the least. I’m more baffled by the stupidity honestly. The game has its positive points, yes.

But this point about needing to know the source material is what people all over the web has cited as being a main and major problem with Halo 5.
Yes, and people like to parrot what they hear from other people (YouTubers, in your example) without knowing what they are talking about in the first place.

Seriously, if the data is so well documented, what is a major plot point in Halo 5 that is both important to the story but not explained in the main series?
1. The domain is Precursor- not forunner (even though lots of forunner conciousnes is in it). The incorrect statement that the domain was of forunner creation was mentioned at least once in the campeign. Just, why contradict your story like that Frank? Was that a test, and if so what do I get for passing?2. The domain was destroyed upon the firing of the halo array by the forunners in defense against the flood. Also confirmed by the gravemind that imprinted the lord of admirals that told the librarian (and she believed it (not to be discredited)) . This one is probably the biggest flaw in the story by far.3. The domain could only be contacted by the forunners through "harupsis". Proves the forerunners didn't have any sort of facility to do so OR harupsis was the warden eternal but makes no sense considering he could have called himself harupsis if he was.Really surprised all this made it to the finished game before frank corrected the story team.

as per the end of Halo 4 we see Cortana literally decompile her rampant matrix to overload the Didact's ships Composer shielding. A small portion being held back to wrap the Chief in a shield of Slipspace energy to prevent his death from a Havok nuke. How could she have been absorbed into the Domain and supposedly cured of her (almost) incurable rampancy, when she was literally torn apart to stop the Didact?
Stopped reading any books after contact harvest
Am i right in assuming that nylunds the fall of reach is the only great book out of all of them?
Does the 2015 tv show tie into halo 5 at all?
Either way. I posted my grievances with this game and people are literally fighting my entire argument based on a sub section of it.

The story ore itself was supposed to be something entirely different. Not this mundane created bull crap that we got.

Now myself, I’ve read all the stories. I’ve been looking at the extra content outside of the game as well, so I know what they’ve done to repair the abysmal storytelling wrought from Halo 5.

Most of the people that support this game are people new to the series that don’t know any better.

I play Halo 5 everyday, and I still don’t really enjoy it at all. I’m working on trying to get mark v gear because I want to take pictures so I can continue my own characters story the way I want to continue it.

If you want to keep ignoring plot holes and try to invalidate my argument by assuming I’m “parroting” what I’ve heard. Why don’t you get off your own lazy -Yoink- Vegito(yeah this is how it’s actually spelled) and find your own plot holes.
The game itself is outstanding, the storyline is good, and the gameplay is good-great, however, something that should be improved, is that you should play online with people your level, so its fair gameplay.
the storyline is good...
I would love for someone to explain why they think the story that has been pretty universally panned is 'good'- seriously, I need someone to clarify what they think is good about the story.
stukes09 wrote:
I respect everyone's opinions. I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the campaign and, at least for me, Im like, who cares? How many hours does the average player spend in the campaign versus multiplayer? I mean for me the ratio is 1 to 10,000. I understand for others it might be different. Isn't it boring to just keep replaying the campaign by yourself? MP never gets old. Big team super fiesta, warzone, custom games, etc. My main judgment of the game is based on those experiences. I really enjoyed the campaign too but I only played thru it once or twice.

The only thing that makes me sad about Halo 5 is the fact that I have been playing for a quite a while now and it seems that there is an unbridgeable gulf between me and really good players. I have no idea how they play the game so effectively while I get obliterated half the time. I have watched a bunch of videos and tutorials and try to increase my skill but it seems I have kind of plateaued in the middle of the pack. Maybe I am too old, neurologically, and my reaction times or something are never going to be good enough. I mean I still do quite well sometimes getting 20+ KDA, etc. But when I get matched with the real animals out there, it's lights out, Irene. This of course is no criticism of the game. It's just a bit discouraging to keep playing knowing you will always be second rate lol
Well regarding the campaign part, do understand there is a pretty loyal following of lore fans who like this franchise specifically because it has (or at least, it USED TO HAVE) unusually strong storytelling for a video game, and that was a big part of the appeal for them. Those folks invest a ton of time and energy in the story and its characters and felt very betrayed by Halo 5's story when it came out.

But nevertheless, still agree with you that yeah, the multiplayer as it is now is very addictively good, I certainly play it enough to have gotten my money's worth out of it. I've spent a bazillion more times in the multiplayer than the campaign.

As far as the second thing you said, yeah, it has a steep learning curve for sure, especially for us older guys whose thumbs are starting to slow down a bit, but keep practicing and plugging away. Your K/D is still better than mine, LOL. ;)
Either way. I posted my grievances with this game and people are literally fighting my entire argument based on a sub section of it.

Where? You laid out 6 different criteria for why you dislike Halo 5. Vegeto and I have focused on only one. Where, in any of our comments, have we said that your argument is invalid because of one subsection? Your original grievance was that Halo 5 was overly reliant on books to understand what is happening. I refuted that claim (but never said Halo 5's story was good, mind you) and listed what is needed to understand Halo 5's plot. It's largely covered in the game with two noticeable exceptions that I've laid out already. You changed to 'plot holes and other weird choices', which was never my original point. Your Domain example even works against your original argument, as it does conflict with what the game tells you, so you'd actually be more confused as an avid reader than a game-going fan.

Vegeto and my points were never that Halo 5 had an immaculate plot and you're just being a big meanie. It's been the legitimacy of Halo 5 needing books to be understood. The story decisions are a whole other discussion.
I’m not upset in the least. I’m more baffled by the stupidity honestly. The game has its positive points, yes.

But this point about needing to know the source material is what people all over the web has cited as being a main and major problem with Halo 5.
Yes, and people like to parrot what they hear from other people (YouTubers, in your example) without knowing what they are talking about in the first place.

Seriously, if the data is so well documented, what is a major plot point in Halo 5 that is both important to the story but not explained in the main series?
1. The domain is Precursor- not forunner (even though lots of forunner conciousnes is in it). The incorrect statement that the domain was of forunner creation was mentioned at least once in the campeign. Just, why contradict your story like that Frank? Was that a test, and if so what do I get for passing?2. The domain was destroyed upon the firing of the halo array by the forunners in defense against the flood. Also confirmed by the gravemind that imprinted the lord of admirals that told the librarian (and she believed it (not to be discredited)) . This one is probably the biggest flaw in the story by far.3. The domain could only be contacted by the forunners through "harupsis". Proves the forerunners didn't have any sort of facility to do so OR harupsis was the warden eternal but makes no sense considering he could have called himself harupsis if he was.Really surprised all this made it to the finished game before frank corrected the story team.

as per the end of Halo 4 we see Cortana literally decompile her rampant matrix to overload the Didact's ships Composer shielding. A small portion being held back to wrap the Chief in a shield of Slipspace energy to prevent his death from a Havok nuke. How could she have been absorbed into the Domain and supposedly cured of her (almost) incurable rampancy, when she was literally torn apart to stop the Didact?
Literally none of #1-3 is relevant to understand the main plot of Halo 5. The fact that you brought up Precursors at all is going above and beyond most players heads. You can say it's wrong, sure. But don't be disingenuous and say you need to know that to understand Halo 5 - just say it's wrong.

Either way. I posted my grievances with this game and people are literally fighting my entire argument based on a sub section of it.
Because I don't have an issue with the rest of your post. You said you needed to know certain material to understand Halo 5, and then proceeded not to tell me that and give me plot holes instead. You're the only one taking issue with your "whole argument" when I never even mentioned the rest of your argument.

So yes, you were "parroting" that statement.

If you want to keep ignoring plot holes and try to invalidate my argument
Where did I say anything about plot holes? I didn't say there were no plot holes.

Why don’t you get off your own lazy -Yoink- Vegito(yeah this is how it’s actually spelled)
You really don't want to go down the off topic rabbit hole on how you could be wrong on that too. But I guess making jabs is easier than just giving me the information I requested?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 16