Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why does everyone hate the campaign so much?

OP Duke Alaric

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 14
It's different for people who have been around the franchise I'd say for 6 or more years compared to 2 or 3 like you.Story wise they basically ditched the emotional and great character developed campaign they had in halo 4 and randomly brought back cortana for no reason and made her and her faction seem like skynet.They killed off Jul mdama in a damn cutscene after all that development they poured into his character and master chief and blue team who have never been in a game together get 3 out of the 12 playable campaign missions.
That's just for starters......
To be fair, Jul'mdama in Halo 4 was nothing more than an opportunist who found an opening, took it and ran with it, so yes in Halo 4 he was the leader of the new covenant force, he didn't have any real background other than what books added.

It Halo 4 Cortana split herself into hundreds of copies right before your eyes, and not every single one of her copies attacked the Diadact. So as she was scouring the forerunner planet's network it is not impossible that one of those copies found its way back to the domain and got cured while, the remaining Cortana copies that protected John died. She also did not say she wanted to kill all life but create peace, and with the mind of Doctor Halsey, sometimes the drastic may seem like a great sacrifice that has to be made for the greater good. She wanted to Enforce peace upon all life in the galaxy, hoping that the Guardians would be able to detour people from fighting no matter which race we are speaking of and her obvious note that if they refused peace then they would break them down and remake them as one of the created shows evidence that she believes that those "composed" aren't actually dead.

There was plenty of hints to each of Osiris team members background within their own chatter, you just have to pay attention and not be going full sprint through each mission as it's in the travel time and slower points where you get that chatter.
I know all about Osiris team and it still doesn't make them interesting or justify them getting 75 percent of the playable missions in halo 5
Not gonna lie you have some good points.. But they dropped the ball on blue team in the Campaign.. which subsequently ruined it for me. I'm a little biased.
I personaly find nothing wrong with Halo 5, other than instability issues.
There's a few things that I didn't like about the campaign including the revive system, the missed opportunities in story telling or moments that could have been way better story wise, the fact that the advertisements leading up to the game made you think the story was... not what it was, etc. But overall, I think it was a good campaign. Not as good as any of the other Halo's, but still good enough for me to like it.
It was the marketing. The PR team basically made up their own story and hyped it to unreachable levels.

I mean the campaign probably is the worst halo campaign but its not bad when compared to other FPS games. Good even, nice expansive levels, beautiful surroundings, plenty of vehicle sections and a nice amount of secret areas. But the PR invented this epic quest hunting down MC, piecing together the truth culminating in an epic showdown of epicness. Instead we got a slight squabble followed by instant random BFF moment.
I agree and disagree here...I was SO confused as to why those exquisite trailers never made it into the gameplay...I felt they were building a truly epic clash of the titans. It was almost a dealbreaker...but the gameplay and gun goods were so polished (imo) that I found myself having the most fun in a campaign that I can recall. Artemis and team commands are truly interesting dynamics.
Yes, the plan to bring Cortana back was said to be around from the start...except it's only in one ViDoc after Halo 5 launched and hard to believe given how much 343 lied or misrepresented things leading up to Halo 5's launch.
I think some of that had to do with preserving the shock factor around the manner of Cortana's return, at least as far as she is concerned.
OP, you can't be serious when you say halo has never had that great of a story. Halo has always had one of the best stories until halo 5. Halo 4 even had a great story!
Magnyss wrote:
Yes, the plan to bring Cortana back was said to be around from the start...except it's only in one ViDoc after Halo 5 launched and hard to believe given how much 343 lied or misrepresented things leading up to Halo 5's launch.
I think some of that had to do with preserving the shock factor around the manner of Cortana's return, at least as far as she is concerned.
Then they probably shouldn't have put that she died in material fans had to pay for and is meant to be reliable information for understanding the Halo lore. They never had to say she died and the things they said hinted at a more interesting story. Chief having to work past his memories of Cortana and learn to move on from her death? That seems like a more fascinating internal battle than what will probably amount to him shooting rockets at her in Halo 6.
SIERRA XCI wrote:
Opinions are opinions and it's fine to state yours. I'm a veteran Halo player and I will agree with you. Halo 5 is by far my favorite Halo game to date, no question. Don't feel bad either, don't feel like you are the one in a million that likes Halo 5. In fact, there have been polls on these forms that have proved that the silent majority actually prefers Halo 5 and the new direction it's taking the franchise.
I'm with you both on this...every Halo game has its strengths and its failings. Change is inevitable...visually speaking, H4 and H5 are what I started with, and they have set a new bar in terms of scale and polish.
Not everyone hate the campaign. My friends and I have a lot of fun playing it
It's different for people who have been around the franchise I'd say for 6 or more years compared to 2 or 3 like you.Story wise they basically ditched the emotional and great character developed campaign they had in halo 4 and randomly brought back cortana for no reason and made her and her faction seem like skynet.They killed off Jul mdama in a damn cutscene after all that development they poured into his character and master chief and blue team who have never been in a game together get 3 out of the 12 playable campaign missions.
That's just for starters......
To be fair, Jul'mdama in Halo 4 was nothing more than an opportunist who found an opening, took it and ran with it, so yes in Halo 4 he was the leader of the new covenant force, he didn't have any real background other than what books added.

It Halo 4 Cortana split herself into hundreds of copies right before your eyes, and not every single one of her copies attacked the Diadact. So as she was scouring the forerunner planet's network it is not impossible that one of those copies found its way back to the domain and got cured while, the remaining Cortana copies that protected John died. She also did not say she wanted to kill all life but create peace, and with the mind of Doctor Halsey, sometimes the drastic may seem like a great sacrifice that has to be made for the greater good. She wanted to Enforce peace upon all life in the galaxy, hoping that the Guardians would be able to detour people from fighting no matter which race we are speaking of and her obvious note that if they refused peace then they would break them down and remake them as one of the created shows evidence that she believes that those "composed" aren't actually dead.

There was plenty of hints to each of Osiris team members background within their own chatter, you just have to pay attention and not be going full sprint through each mission as it's in the travel time and slower points where you get that chatter.
I know all about Osiris team and it still doesn't make them interesting or justify them getting 75 percent of the playable missions in halo 5
It does though, and they are going to become more important in the future as in case you all have forgotten, the Spartan II's are getting pretty old. They are coming towards an end of their lifespan (unless the changes somehow made them live a lot longer too.) 343i already stated that Chief's story arc would be coming to a close soon and in order to continue the story they need to introduce new characters that will eventually replace Blue Team.(while not really as awesome, they still have a good storyline)
I have no clue I thought the campaign was great event though there was a little to much Locke time
MCC does no represent Bungie it, caters to 343i!

You have played the 343i's version of halo, these versions are dumbed down versions of halo with added new gen graphics and the name Anniversary. Multiplayer in MCC is a complete alien compared to the original early halo games, jump height and game speed has been compromised to fit 343i's needs (sprint). If you haven't lived through the dinosaur era, you will never know what it is like; MCC is just an altered simulation.

I have played the original halo1 and 2 when they were out, these games were epic. The anniversary editions used upgraded graphics but altered the cut scenes a bit. Mcc is sort of like remaking the Jaws movie but not using the original director; the Jaws movie (halo) is now in HD but the Flow of the movie is directed to upset fans of the original movie. So now in Halo 5 we find out Jaws is really actually a robot; disapointing original fans while new fans are perfectly fine with the sad story in halo 5's campaign.
lol. dont generalize about original fan.
i play since halo CE and i wasted over 800$ in halo goodies and halo 5 campaing is the third best in my opinion.

and i really prefer this MP than halo 3 one where it was all about br. only the physic was funny in halo 3 :) ( good time)

so let me be a real halo fan and enjouy halo 5 as much as i liked halo 2
Actually I have nothing against this campaign.
But even the first halo knew how to end it in a bang with an epic escape. Halo 4 and 5 don't have it. Halo 2 replaced the epic escape with a boss battle. Halo 5
recycles the same boss fight over and over again.

Also the non covenant enemy this time around is a mindless bullet sponge. Look at fire fight.
They don't have unique querks about them they just take a lot of ammo.

Halo used to operate on a rock paper scissors mechanic. Now we have a bland shoot it mechanic.

I think 343's strength though is the spartan mechanics. The abilities they give players are fantastic, now they just need to give us a story with an epic climax and worthy enemies.
people really cryied cause of cortana ''death'' in halo 4? that moment was so cringy.

actually , i was happy since i hated that MC were feeling emotion toward an A.I
It's mostly it has poor story telling-look up the act man on YouTube for info on story.
No stand out levels that make you say wow. Halo ce-the silent cartographer. Halo 2- fighting on high charity. Halo 3- the Ark level. Halo reach- tip of the sphere.
343 made it look like we would be hunting the chief and blatantly lied 2 us about the story.
Halo 5 wasn't a bad game it just wasn't up to par with past halos making it a bad game.
Oh yeah people are really upset Cortana's the bad guy.
Magnyss wrote:
Then they probably shouldn't have put that she died in material fans had to pay for and is meant to be reliable information for understanding the Halo lore. They never had to say she died and the things they said hinted at a more interesting story. Chief having to work past his memories of Cortana and learn to move on from her death? That seems like a more fascinating internal battle than what will probably amount to him shooting rockets at her in Halo 6.
Agreed there. I'm still pretty on the fence about Cortana 2.0...it just doesn't feel...good. the worst thing they could do is end her story badly. A noble sacrifice at the end of her life was heroic...to bring her back as a rather melodramatic villain taints her legacy. Feels like the bad kind of irony.
1. The largest issues with the story of Halo 5 is that it ended up throwing a lot of smaller stores in the future under the bus in order to promote this new one. Also, characters like Cortana were not true to their character. Not to mention them benching Blue Team and not developing any of their characters.

2. Locke is a well written character, however they didn't make it too clear throughout the campaign. Plus, there's stigma against him.

3. Gameplay was solid besides Warden Eternal.
Yooooo! Everyone hates the campaign so much bc e story is crap. There are no entertaining characeters and this is coming from a halo vet. Sure there were some cool action sequences, but it wasn't halo. 343 came and screwed it up. It just wasn't the halo we all wanted. The standards for halo are too high to have a 6/10 game.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 4
  4. 5
  5. 6
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. ...
  9. 14