Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why does everyone hate the campaign so much?

OP Duke Alaric

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 14
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not make violent or threatening posts against forum members, moderators, administrators, and non-forum members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Naqser wrote:
LKG Gluby wrote:
Personally me I am on the side that thinks halo 3 should have been the ending and no more with chief. After 4 I really don't care about the lore but hey its still entertaining
That's why the games are there, to entertain us. People get butthurt too quickly
So if it doesn't fall into my tastes and I find the campaign both in terms of gameplay and story dissapointing, I'm butthurt?

OT:

The campaign faceplanted on many different aspects.

First and foremost there's the story.
i343 had apparenly built up a longer story arc seeing as they even prior to Halo 4 said to have planned the story to the ending of Halo 6, and had ideas of a following trilogy. Also stating that Halo 5 would be the darkest of the Halo games in the current trilogy, and the previously released Halo games. Fair enough.

At the ending of Halo 4 we see the Didace fall into a slipspace portal.
Cortana dies with a heartbreaking farewell (to some, it we "meh" to me).
Chief is left "hollow" and alone, but as we all remember his evolution was accelerated and his vital signs were off the charts, or however Cortana expressed it.
At the ending of SpOps Halsey is with Jul with one half of the Janus key which was said to show all Forerunner artifacts in the galaxy at some Library, and Halsey has Oni after her.

The Janus key arc is resolved in a Comic and doesn't lead anywhere, pretty much literally.
The Didact is composed / contained.
The end of Halo 4 is retconned to allow Cortana's survival, may I remind you that the Didact went to Installation 03 while the ship ended up at Genesis, or parts of it.

Start of Halo 5, we see Chief touching the back of his helmet, and for all we know he could have just brushed some grease of it. However it was probably some sort of "I miss Cortana" moment. The Blue team ponder his mental state and then they're off never to think about some "heavy" stuff anymore, in the three missions we play them as. Chiefs accelerated evolution is never brought up at all either, like he wore it off or got "cured".

Ah, Osiris retrieves Halsey and kills Jul in a small cutscene, a Character that could have been a great second antagonist, or be forced to help humans to save his own skin given the many events in the comics.
Halsey being hunted is all forgotten and she's the good doctor again with answers to everything. Here we could have some subplot because I'm sure Locke overhears things he shouldn't hear, but that's also forgotten. He's off to hunting down and bringing the Chief back.

Quite a few filler missions later, both walk around and talk and actual missions, we have the first confrontation between the two protagonists, Chief and Locke. They slap each other while Blue team goes to Genesis and Osiris watches, probably faces like some Bird houses. Their mission is to bring Chief in, the Legendary soldier, but they just stand there letting Locke take the hits. For the record, this would have been an ample opportunity to show off Chief's hand to hand skills, taking on the whole of Osiris alone. If he ever was that good. Either way, they slap each other and Chief leaves without the rest of Osiris bothering. Only to have more filler missions on how to get to the Chief.

We also encounter the Warden, a thrown in character of quite some significance that we have never heard of, not even in the books, that I can recall.
He has one mind and a million bodies, and i343 takes this quite literally so we fight him some six times, and at the end we fight many of him at the same time. No variations whatsoever to his tactics, attacks or weaknesses, it's the exact same boss every single time.

Then for the gameplay:

Perhaps it's my fault, but I expected a little more from the AI when they said that Cloud Computing would handle some parts of it.
However, they're made bullet sponges with the most forward tactics of them all. Move forward, if shot duck. Follow attacker. Or, if outside of range, just stand there when getting shot. I don't recall how many knights I mowed down while far out of range from them. The soldiers were of course concerned and looked in my direction but they generally just ran circles, like they were in panic, or didn't know what to do.

Friendly AI, not even Kat from Reach could compete with this AI.
If you were down behind cover and they actually decided to come revive you, they wouldn't take cover and in the process get killed themselves.
Sometimes they'd decide to use their CQC weapons when they had snipers, on long ranges, and when you ordered them to attack something while they had long range weapons, they would often run out into the open with their trusty close range weapons out.

Among other things...

But sure, I didn't like it because it didn't live up to my expectations so I'm probably butthurt.
Spot on! Very well put. Don't worry I'm right there with you. If your not a 343 fanboy your butt hurt and if you have anything critical to say your a judgemental hater thats stuck in the past.

The game could have been evolved or improved while retaining the core elements but 343 felt it necessary to turn H5 completely on its head and tried to reinvent the wheel. One of my biggest complaints with H5 is that it doesn't truly feel like Halo anymore.
(sprint).
1. Sprint isn't only relevant to CoD
2. H2 actually did have multiplayer, it's kind of what propelled halo on the Xbox.
3. There's been arguements that halos been dead since h2 launched (could get into so much detail in every single halo not being like halo CE if you really want me to).

heres where I would say you're wrong on. When sprint is talked about its 99% of the time for multiplayer and not the campaign. Campaign doesn't necessarily need a balance to it like a multiplayer scenario does, campaign also incorporates lore and that then gives certain things a pass. My question is how does sprint ruin the campaign? As I said99% won't care for it in the story and you very rarily see many say it does ruin the story, what ruined h5s campaign is false ads, terrible execution on keeping h4 (prequel to h5) relevant, not friendly to brand new players and even halo vets if you don't read, and even then it won't tell the full story. Campaigns isn't hurt by a mechanic, but rather how the story is given and told to us by a group who didn't stick to their ads. Now if I mention sprint in multiplayer..........whole different discussion but no need since this isn't a sprint topic to begin with.

"True" halo fans won't begrudge others preferences. We're all pro halo in the end. So what if some like something that's "killing" the franchise? You voiced your concerns, now 343 decides what to do with it. True halo fans also aren't decided upon liking a specific thing. Am I a true fan if I dislike infection or forge? Nope, I'm a true halo fan cuz I've dedicated my childhood up to present playing and supporting it. That's what a true halo fan is, supporting it, doesn't matter if I support it differently than you, or Jonny 2 by 4 of there.

bungie is also the original killers of halo as well buddy(since you wanna go there), 343 has just continued the trend.
first of all, Im so happy you are finally able to respond to me with out insults, thanks.

now for the good part, I was in my late 20s when i first played Halo CE. Did I followed the story much? no. All i cared for halo was to provide that high flying satisfaction after a long day of work. Me and my co-worker-friend would fire up the old xbox and play some good ole coop Halo; those days are gone. we had some good times playing Halo ce, this game was not only good but it brought friends together in a cooperative manner. that should paint the picture of how good the campaign should be. all of you players that were too young are maybe not born yet might have not experienced halo the same way I did because I was a child when Donkey kong and mario came out. Imagine gaming from Donkey to Golden eye 007 to Halo? now they want to throw us pioneer gamers under the bus? Im very disappointed in the way that halo 5 campaign is heading.

Most of you get twisted too much into the story of Halo, but in reality, the story is not the downfall of halo5 but the game-flow such as sprint, split screen, jump height and non-aiming down the sights are all part of what made Halo Ce one of the best campaign modes of all times.

Sure I was lost when I found out curtana was no longer my guardian angel that always told me what to do, I was kind of upset that she was now my enemy, however the game-breaker was the sloppy COD style gameplay and flow that made me irritated with Halo 4 & 5 campaign. In previous halos you were able to move around with a reasonable speed and shoot without the need for sprint. Now (In new Halo) regular speed is too slow and you must constantly damage your thumb depressing the thumb-stick button for sprint, also you can't shoot straight while sprinting (call of doody style). So, that is why I hate sprint in campaign, what is your excuse for loving it?
I never said I love sprint, I'm actually neutral on the current version but disliked it in h4 and was also neutral on reaches version. I don't mind it in campaign but multiplayer is a whole different story due to balance issues and it ruins the flow of the multiplayer for many reasons that I'm sure you already know of. So in short, I don't mind it in h5, however I don't like it either tho to really show support for it. I would not mind if sprint was completely removed as I already rarily use it unless I'm in btb or warzone. It's just pointless in arena and is really pointless in swat. It makes more sense for campaign tho and is more tolerable due to lore reasons and because the A.I are dumb to where you're not really punished for whatever mechanics get added, but I'm also not into halo for the story but rather for the multiplayer so I can't speak for every campaign guy out there on the general view of sprint in campaign. My point was that just because someone does like sprint doesn't mean they aren't halo fans. They still like and support the franchise, and I'd bet many would still play if halo were to go back to the original formula.
I personalty enjoyed the AI joining Cortana at the end but everything else I found meh.
The reason why people, myself included, don't like Halo 5's campaign is because it ruined what Halo 4 set up. Cortana came back, Didact is still gone, Jul Madoma died right away and so on. The AI is also atrocious takes away from the gameplay. They do alot of standing and relentless shooting with no care of their well being. The Promethean Soldiers stand, turn around slowly, look at you for a second and then shoot. The Promethean Crawlers no longer crawl on walls and the Knights are freaking mini bosses now, wtf. The Prometheans should have been copied and pasted from Halo 4 and then get improved upon.
Also Phantoms fly very weird.
If you want to get a better understanding of why people hated/disliked Halo 5's campaign, there is a three part series on youtube explaining why so many players and fans were dissapointed and how the campaign fell apart and hit an all time low for most people. The channel name for the guy who made the series explaining is called "The Act Man", if you want to get a good understanding of the other side of this argument (the side that dislikes it), then i really suggest you go check out those videos.
I enjoy the canpaign but I think it wasn't very well advertised. It was shown as a big fight between master chief and Locke but the only fight they had was 30 seconds to a minute long and then that was the only one they had
My biggest probleem is i feel mislead by the ads. It seemed liked Master Chief was the bad guy in this game and he went AWOL. Which did happen--in a way--but there was only one moment when Chief and Locke had any confrontation with each other.

Also character development wasn't present at all. We literally just jump into the game as Osiris and nothing is said about it. Plus, i felt like there wasnt enough infinity in it. We see a couple cutscenes on the infinty but then we just jump to somewhere else. Feels very odd.

I also dont like how everything that was part of Halo 4's Campaign (which was one of the best campaigns in the series) was all thrown into the trash. Jul M'dama is killed in the first mission with little to no context on where he has been and what he has been doing. Cortana is alive so Halo 4's whole subplot with Cortana is pointless. But i blame some of that onto the community for giving 343 so much -Yoink- about the Multiplayer of Halo 4 that they think everything has to be fixed. People complained so much about the Multiplayer that they took even the littliest complaint about the campaign and threw it into the trash. I liked the Didact. He seemed to have a lot of potential as a great villan. The Warden has none of that. He's so boring and repetitive that IDK how anyone would have thoight to throw 7 at us in the campaign. Why? Spartan Ops actually had a good story, just the recycling of maps made it repetitive and boring. I hate how Fireteam Majestic and Fireteam Crimson and Castle had no reference or appearance in this game. They were pretty well developed (Majestic) in Spartan Ops.

The AI is atrocious and nowhere near the AI i expected it would be (Noble Team). Promeatheans are downgraded from what they used to be. Crawlers dont climb on walls, Watchers arent as frequent as before (though i do hate the regenerative abilities it has). Soldiers are just annoying to fight, basically the Knights of Halo 5.
MCC does no represent Bungie it, caters to 343i!

You have played the 343i's version of halo, these versions are dumbed down versions of halo with added new gen graphics and the name Anniversary. Multiplayer in MCC is a complete alien compared to the original early halo games, jump height and game speed has been compromised to fit 343i's needs (sprint). If you haven't lived through the dinosaur era, you will never know what it is like; MCC is just an altered simulation.

I have played the original halo1 and 2 when they were out, these games were epic. The anniversary editions used upgraded graphics but altered the cut scenes a bit. Mcc is sort of like remaking the Jaws movie but not using the original director; the Jaws movie (halo) is now in HD but the Flow of the movie is directed to upset fans of the original movie. So now in Halo 5 we find out Jaws is really actually a robot; disapointing original fans while new fans are perfectly fine with the sad story in halo 5's campaign.
How exactly are the anniversary Halos dumbed down? The campaigns are even more amazing than before and only H2 has anniversary multiplayer and it doesn't have sprint even as a custom game option. H2As cutscenes are completely redone to look amazing and if you watch the difference between old and new on YouTube you'll notice that they play out exactly the same as the old ones.
Okay, you win. I just gave MCC halo2 anniversary campaign another go. my conclusion is it's 10 times better than halo5... I only played multiplayer briefly but that is another topic.
Allow me to redirect you to The Act Man's overview of Halo 5's campaign, which pretty much explains why it is easily the worst in the series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwwyb_5jJHc

3: Gameplay

So the one that confuses me the most that some people complained about is the gameplay. Why exactly? When I play Halo 5, I see a game that finally evolved into something truly modern, it has its own unique signature gameplay mechanics that I hope will stay in the franchise for years to come.

Conclusion:

I really enjoyed Halo 5, and please note this is merely my opinion. I just don't know why people will post messages like "I'm f&**^&ing selling my xbox Halo is dead" etc. It's becoming a dank meme at this point.
I agree, on this point, and gameplay is probably the most important item in a game. There will always be better stories in other mediums, because a show, movie, book, or comic will usually live or die by its story, but a game will live or die by its gameplay. None of the old games had Oscar winning narratives, I loved them, but if you were not a fan of sci-fi tropes, you probably weren't a fan of it. The story shown on more to me in the Nylund novels, and I feel 5 was trying to bring more of this into the game, which is clearly difficult. Gameplay wise, I think 5 is the best its ever been... but again this is just my humble opinion.
Frank1ller wrote:
people really cryied cause of cortana ''death'' in halo 4? that moment was so cringy.

actually , i was happy since i hated that MC were feeling emotion toward an A.I
For heaven's sake, what makes you think everybody cried? I didn't, but it was still a touching moment. You say it was cringy, but don't explain why. It built on so much of what Cortana had previously went through during her personal journey throughout the Halo story. She had been built to protect the Spartans for a high-stakes mission yet ends up helping to protect John. Likewise, John goes on to see her as more than just equipment and becomes protective of her as well. They braved Installation 04, they braved the Battle of Earth, and he hesitates to abandon her on High Charity. So deep was his trust of her that he braved the infected High Charity to get her and so deep was her trust that she spends years alone safeguarding John while they drift through space. It all comes to ahead where her rampancy affects her performance, but she desperately clings to stability to fulfil her desire to see Chief saved. Not her programming to save humanity, to protect Chief himself. And she does and with what little power she had left she becomes "real" to the contrary opinion she had previously in Halo 4 about not knowing what being real would feel like. She performed the ultimate sacrifice to save him. Maybe the dialogue was a bit cheesy, but she a machine grasping with reality and he was a human soldier without much feeling.

Halo has so much more depth to its characters and it's a shame you can't see that.
the only character devoleped in the serie is the arbiter.

one of the major reason i liked halo back in the days is because we were playing a super soldier with no face and emotion. nearly not human. we were not playing a stupid douchbag or a weakly caring for his friend like in every other games.

in my opinion. they make MC blank on purpose and introduced the arbiter to make a character to develop in the serie.

then they tried to put feeling in halo 4...

glad that master chief doesnt act like that with blue team in halo 5
I loved the Hunt the Truth podcast. The Halo 5 story had nothing to do with it so it was very disappointing. I still love the Hunt the Truth podcast and I hope they continue them.
Frank1ller wrote:
Frank1ller wrote:
people really cryied cause of cortana ''death'' in halo 4? that moment was so cringy.

actually , i was happy since i hated that MC were feeling emotion toward an A.I
For heaven's sake, what makes you think everybody cried? I didn't, but it was still a touching moment. You say it was cringy, but don't explain why. It built on so much of what Cortana had previously went through during her personal journey throughout the Halo story. She had been built to protect the Spartans for a high-stakes mission yet ends up helping to protect John. Likewise, John goes on to see her as more than just equipment and becomes protective of her as well. They braved Installation 04, they braved the Battle of Earth, and he hesitates to abandon her on High Charity. So deep was his trust of her that he braved the infected High Charity to get her and so deep was her trust that she spends years alone safeguarding John while they drift through space. It all comes to ahead where her rampancy affects her performance, but she desperately clings to stability to fulfil her desire to see Chief saved. Not her programming to save humanity, to protect Chief himself. And she does and with what little power she had left she becomes "real" to the contrary opinion she had previously in Halo 4 about not knowing what being real would feel like. She performed the ultimate sacrifice to save him. Maybe the dialogue was a bit cheesy, but she a machine grasping with reality and he was a human soldier without much feeling.

Halo has so much more depth to its characters and it's a shame you can't see that.
the only character devoleped in the serie is the arbiter.

one of the major reason i liked halo back in the days is because we were playing a super soldier with no face and emotion. nearly not human. we were not playing a stupid douchbag or a weakly caring for his friend like in every other games.

in my opinion. they make MC blank on purpose and introduced the arbiter to make a character to develop in the serie.

then they tried to put feeling in halo 4...

glad that master chief doesnt act like that with blue team in halo 5
And Chief was rightly mocked by the gaming community for being a blank, emotionless robot with the personality of a brick. He wasn't like that in the expanded universe either and he didn't shift that much in Halo 4. I'll never understand where people get the notion he was some emotional wreak in Halo 4. He had awkward moments, but anybody would when thrust into a situation they didn't understand and can't be fixed by just blowing something up. It's sad you think characters being human is stupid, or as you put it a "weakly" caring for his friend.

It's that mindset that ruins the Halo story.
You want to know why I hate the campaign so much? Here ya go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rwwyb_5jJHc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWzBXsiNwsQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dKdenOPGjA
I think the story suffered from bad pacing and too littlle for Master Chief to do.

I actually liked the Meridian, Sanghelios and Argent Moon levels quite a lot the story was tight and interesting in those segments. But all the levels on the Forerunner planet felt dull and uninteresting, like not much was happening.

It's an unbalanced experience, with good parts and bad parts.
just a game
I don't like the campaign because it's multiplayer based, it's not fun when you play alone... whatever the enemy AI throw, the attack is likely too powerful.

I don't really like to give an order every single time... also I never finished the second mission but the Spartan AI seem to be is a lot like Reach, only with orders, if I am right, just give them Covenant weapons.
I liked h5s story but it does have problems.

1) 343 didnt learn from the mistake that was daidact and again you had to get outside media to understand the antagonist' s motives.

2) wasn't simple. Non halo fans need to be able to understand it. 343 could have done this through in game dialogue as well as fleshing out the 8 person cast. But they chose not to. Instead if we didn't get the introduction to the cast through the media leading up to h5 we weren't going to know anything about who we're playing with. That's why buck was such a suprise to non halo fans.

3) hunt the truth had a good story. The disconnect as well as the lack of introduction to the current timeline threw people off.

343 can tell a story but they can't figure out how to get that into a game.
the new halo fans aren't really the ones with all of the negative comments on the campaign though, so I mean number 2 could have of greatly improved the campaign but I don't think it would overturn many opinions
I don't like the campaign because it's multiplayer based, it's not fun when you play alone... whatever the enemy AI throw, the attack is likely too powerful.

I don't really like to give an order every single time... also I never finished the second mission but the Spartan AI seem to be is a lot like Reach, only with orders, if I am right, just give them Covenant weapons.
I finished the campaign solo on legendary even before they debuffed the enemies and buffed the allies a little bit, making it not only for multiplayer
I been playing Halo ever cents Halo Combat Evolved on the original Xbox all the way up to Halo 5. I don't really see any problems with the halo 5 campaign.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 14