Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why does this game lock up so often

OP Doomed Saint

Every couple of matches my game will just lock up far more common is when it just doesn't connect me to a server, I don't remember it having this many issues when it launched.
Halo 5: Guardians largely makes use of always-online digital rights management (minus the singleplayer campaign and some options in the menu). The vast majority of the game's content (even things as small as player customization) requires a server connection, so any issues with those servers (something 343 Industries are notorious for with this franchise) results in things not functioning properly. The game hasn't even let me progress beyond on the title screen multiple times.
I will get to 4/4 loading game and it will never load, super Fiesta party. After 10 min it will time out and not connect to server.
I have to restart the game every so often...usually happens when I'm messing around in the menu's while another game is being searched
Every couple of matches my game will just lock up far more common is when it just doesn't connect me to a server, I don't remember it having this many issues when it launched.
Happens to me too, but when the game freezes up hold down "X" and that usually gets it to work again.

The freezing always happens mid match for me too... its awful at times!
The lobby issue usually occurs as a result of someone's game freezing on them. The system spends a ton of time trying to load that person in until either the person restarts the game or the lobby eventually times out. It started happening right after the Overtime update, which was like in 2015 or so.
The freezing issue has been a thing for years.
The only issue with freezing I have is sometimes when I back out in between matches(to start the search again faster), the UI will freeze. Usually it unfreezes after a few seconds or a minute but occasionally I have to restart the build.
Believe it or not IIRC the UI was actually worse back in the day than it is now, I think they tried to fix it
I mean, gotta love it when i'll finish a game of firefight then exit out of the carnage report and everything vanishes off the screen except the different button commands at the very bottom and the background image. The music will stop and all of those button options will cease to function and it will stay like that with the worst case being untill it errors out and kicks me from the matchmaking and I have to start again like as if I had just logged on
Here's to hoping that this "feature" doesn't return in Infinite.
I mean, gotta love it when i'll finish a game of firefight then exit out of the carnage report and everything vanishes off the screen except the different button commands at the very bottom and the background image. The music will stop and all of those button options will cease to function and it will stay like that with the worst case being untill it errors out and kicks me from the matchmaking and I have to start again like as if I had just logged on
This has been my H5 experience summed in a nutshell. Either the game craps out or find myself in a game I tried to back out of.

Sorry OP, but H5's menu and UI is pretty annoying and I don't think it will get any better.