Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why Halo 5 is the Most Skilled Game

OP xBALLER 4 LYFEx

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
For those people out there who think Halo 3 or some other Halo is more skilled than Halo 5, I will show you why that s not the case. I am not here to bash on Halo 3. It is a good game and very skillful but Halo 5 is even more skillful. I know some of you are probably scratching your heads like "what is this idiot talking about". Let me explain. While Halo 3 is projectile based which already requires more skill than Halo 5's hitscan, the movement in Halo 5 is so ridiculous that hitscan had to be the way to go. Of course the aim assist and bullet magnetism in Halo 5 is so strong you're reticle doesn't even have to be on the player half of the time to register a hit. Halo 3 was more about map positions and controlling power weapons/ups. In Halo 5 I have found that map positioning isn't as important anymore because of movement. In many cases a team can win without touching power ups/weapons because of movement. In Halo 3, when you were caught in the open you were basically dead because the player already has first shot and you have nowhere to go. In Halo 5, because of movement you can escape at almost anytime. Yes, running away isn't more skillful but, being the person shooting the opponent running away required more skill. And because of movement first shot doesn't matter if you miss because the player can easily thrust and reverse the situation opposed to and other Halo. This video explains this very well.
Yes and the weapons are balanced, you can kill with the magnum or the smg, there is not OP BR or a useless magnum
Your points are actually making H5 sound worse and CE 2's is the most skillful game in high level play imo.
I can agree that H5 has more individual skill than previous halo titles but yeah the way you worded it doesn't come off the best. I'd more so just look at the typical 1v1 encounter in H5 compared to previous titles. In H5, you have a plethora of options at your disposal in how you go up against your opponent. Do you just crouch and aim for the head? Do you strafe back and forth while crouching, do you thrust initially or do you thrust just before the final head shot. Or maybe you like to thrust at your opponent to close the distance and go for the melee.

That coupled with the movement and there's seemingly infinite, pun intended, more possible engagements than say H3, where literally your only option is strafing left/right and crouching. I personally feel like I get more reversals in this game then I ever did in H3, assuming the player I'm engaging wasn't a potato. And a single shot weapon like the Magnum is overall more difficult to hit shots with than a burst fire BR, so that also plays into how engagements happen. Mythic in H5 is a perfect example of an overpowered starting weapon where nobody misses, although the bullet magnetism of H5 probably plays into that.
In my opinion, it’s more about picking your fights. If you know you can’t win a fight, don’t rush into it. The magnum obviously is a strong player in the current meta, but that’s not saying it’s good at everything from close to long range engagements like previous titles. In gun fights, usually there’s a few things we expect. What comes to my mind is anticipating for a thrust, crouch placement, strafe, or a combination of all three. Halo 3 mainly was just strafe and crouch, and a lot of map knowledge went into play. In Halo 5, map knowledge is also incorporated when accounting for hiding spots, areas that let you get around easier, sniper spots, etc. Though, Halo 5’s spartan abilities like spartan charge and ground pound almost guarantee a kill most times which takes a bit away because any random noob can just spartan charge spam their way to a kill. Something that makes spartan charging not viable is that you sacrifice gun readiness for a basically 50-50 shot in the dark for a melee that only kills instantly if it’s from the back. It takes a massive amount of hand eye coordination to play Halo, but with all the sprinting, thrusting, crouching, and every other part combined, I’d agree H5 takes a bit more skill. I’m not attacking anyone’s opinion, just sharing my own. I just think that Halo 5 might need some more skill than more classic titles.
Unfortunately The #1 skill in halo 5 is how close you are to the server lol. You can have perfect aim, perfect strafing mechanics, perfect movement to throw off enemies shots, and still lose gun fights because the closest server to you is 1500 miles away and your opponent lives in the same city as the server.
I'd say 5's more skill based than 4, and less than Reach and 3. But CE and 2 are where the skill gap between players makes the most difference in a game IMO.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
Your points are actually making H5 sound worse and CE 2's is the most skillful game in high level play imo.
The only example I used was Halo 3 because I believe that is the second most skilled Halo. I did say "or some other Halo" early on but never mentioned CE or 2. Maybe I just misread your reply, can you explain? Let me know which points exactly make Halo 5 seem less skilled as well.
>Halo 3 was more about map positions and controlling power weapons/ups
Correct. That's why CE, 2, and 3 were more skill based than Reach, H4, H5, COD, Battlefield, Overwatch, etc. You got punished for making mistakes and not using teamwork. No crutches, braindead automatics, or running away from 1v1s.
Also, Halo 2 was hitscan, but getting a 30 in that game was like getting a 50 in H3. I respect your opinion though. Halo 5 is a good game on its own when your headshots are actually registering and the teams are balanced.
Correct. That's why CE, 2, and 3 were more skill based than Reach, H4, H5, COD, Battlefield, Overwatch, etc. You got punished for making mistakes and not using teamwork. No crutches, braindead automatics, or running away from 1v1s.
Also, Halo 2 was hitscan, but getting a 30 in that game was like getting a 50 in H3. I respect your opinion though. Halo 5 is a good game on its own when your headshots are actually registering and the teams are balanced.
In Halo 2, you could've been shot by an opponent and used a button combo to escape death. This was a crutch was it not? It was also a skill because button combos aren't easy to do. It is the same with movement In Halo 5. With Halo 5's movement you can reverse the situation or escape. Halo 5 may not be as much about map positioning anymore because you have to be mobile. Halo 5 isn't control this part of the map with this power weapon/up. Halo 5 is slay the enemy, make them spawn here, fly over there and slay again, if we have power weapons/ups great. In other Halo titles the player with the high ground would win unless they were shot first or missed shots.. That is not the case in Halo 5. It takes more skill as the player with the high compared to other Halos because you have to finish that kill which isn't as easy as it was in previous titles. To me Halo 3 all came down to just hitting shots. In Halo 5, I can be having a very bad day sing all 1on1 battles but, with the movement it doesn't matter. All I have to do is pick of their shields, be annoying, and disengage before I die so that teammates can clean up. It is also harder to track players obviously because in Halo CE-3 players could only walk and jump. In Halo 5 they can slide, thrust, sprint, stabilize, jump, walk, and do different variations of what I just mentioned.
For those people out there who think Halo 3 or some other Halo is more skilled than Halo 5, I will show you why that s not the case. I am not here to bash on Halo 3. It is a good game and very skillful but Halo 5 is even more skillful. I know some of you are probably scratching your heads like "what is this idiot talking about". Let me explain. While Halo 3 is projectile based which already requires more skill than Halo 5's hitscan, the movement in Halo 5 is so ridiculous that hitscan had to be the way to go. Of course the aim assist and bullet magnetism in Halo 5 is so strong you're reticle doesn't even have to be on the player half of the time to register a hit. Halo 3 was more about map positions and controlling power weapons/ups. In Halo 5 I have found that map positioning isn't as important anymore because of movement. In many cases a team can win without touching power ups/weapons because of movement. In Halo 3, when you were caught in the open you were basically dead because the player already has first shot and you have nowhere to go. In Halo 5, because of movement you can escape at almost anytime. Yes, running away isn't more skillful but, being the person shooting the opponent running away required more skill. And because of movement first shot doesn't matter if you miss because the player can easily thrust and reverse the situation opposed to and other Halo. This video explains this very well.
I love Halo 3 more than Halo 5 but even I agree that Halo 5 takes more skill.
In Halo 2, you could've been shot by an opponent and used a button combo to escape death. This was a crutch was it not? It was also a skill because button combos aren't easy to do. It is the same with movement In Halo 5. With Halo 5's movement you can reverse the situation or escape. Halo 5 may not be as much about map positioning anymore because you have to be mobile. Halo 5 isn't control this part of the map with this power weapon/up. Halo 5 is slay the enemy, make them spawn here, fly over there and slay again, if we have power weapons/ups great. In other Halo titles the player with the high ground would win unless they were shot first or missed shots.. That is not the case in Halo 5. It takes more skill as the player with the high compared to other Halos because you have to finish that kill which isn't as easy as it was in previous titles. To me Halo 3 all came down to just hitting shots. In Halo 5, I can be having a very bad day sing all 1on1 battles but, with the movement it doesn't matter. All I have to do is pick of their shields, be annoying, and disengage before I die so that teammates can clean up. It is also harder to track players obviously because in Halo CE-3 players could only walk and jump. In Halo 5 they can slide, thrust, sprint, stabilize, jump, walk, and do different variations of what I just mentioned.
The button combos are incomparable to spartan abilities. It took a lot of practice to pull them off, let alone consistently in an actual 1v1. And you had to play claw, otherwise your aim suffered. The ones that were able to utilize them as if they were second nature had a huge advantage over other players. I'm glad Bungie got rid of them, but they weren't crutches by any means.
Most people only mention how bad spartan charge is when thrusters are way worse. It's simply one button and you don't even have to strafe well. Losing the 1v1 means you should lose, or putting yourself in a bad position means you should pay for it with a death. You're basically saying that being able to bail yourself out of any situation is why Halo 5 takes more skill than its predecessors. That's ridiculous.
I'm not saying H5 doesn't take skill, because it does. But you can't deny that Mythic Rumble already feels miles better despite thrusters and the bad maps. I'll agree that power weapons and equipment were annoying as -Yoink- in 3.
Vlexis wrote:
I'd say 5's more skill based than 4, and less than Reach and 3. But CE and 2 are where the skill gap between players makes the most difference in a game IMO.
what? you live in the opposite world. you max Rank in Halo 5 is Platinum 1 in SWAT so you should not told things like that
Because all people have a Spartan charge and super magnum OP
Alucardko wrote:
Vlexis wrote:
what? you live in the opposite world. you max Rank in Halo 5 is Platinum 1 in SWAT so you should not told things like that
I think I can say whatever I'd like, because I've been playing Halo religiously for the past twelve years. CE is where skill and knowledge make the biggest difference. There's no sprint, no spartan charge, spawns are dependent on your teammates, the nades are hand nukes, the magnum is godly. If you don't know how to play, you're going to get thrashed. 5's mechanics reward players who run blindly around the map, as opposed to rewarding players who play tactically and don't rush into fights. I will say that I appreciate 5's weapon balance, as it makes most weapons more viable than they've ever been in past Halos, and the extra mobility does add more strategic options for how fights can play out.
The button combos are incomparable to spartan abilities. It took a lot of practice to pull them off, let alone consistently in an actual 1v1. And you had to play claw, otherwise your aim suffered. The ones that were able to utilize them as if they were second nature had a huge advantage over other players. I'm glad Bungie got rid of them, but they weren't crutches by any means.
Most people only mention how bad spartan charge is when thrusters are way worse. It's simply one button and you don't even have to strafe well. Losing the 1v1 means you should lose, or putting yourself in a bad position means you should pay for it with a death. You're basically saying that being able to bail yourself out of any situation is why Halo 5 takes more skill than its predecessors. That's ridiculous.
I'm not saying H5 doesn't take skill, because it does. But you can't deny that Mythic Rumble already feels miles better despite thrusters and the bad maps. I'll agree that power weapons and equipment were annoying as -Yoink- in 3.
I never said spartan abilities, I'm talking about movement, maybe you should watch the video I linked.... Do you know how much practice it takes to hit a spring jump consistently? It is harder than the button combos imo. I have used the spring jump many times to get higher than my opponent regain shields and challenge again. Thrust is used as apart of strafe so using thrust well means you strafe well. I'm saying that because people can bail themselves out of situations it takes more skill to kill them than the predecessors. I don't know what one playlist (Mythic Rumble) s to do with a whole game being skilled. I've played Mythic and it is easier than any other playlist except swat. Players can't sprint away and thrust is nerfed so it's like Halo 2 without the button combos to help them out. Of course this is the result of the H2BR being powerful because it was already easy to use when you could sprint, thrust, etc. Mythic is still Halo 5 btw, so are you agreeing with me?
HCS and mythic don't have spartan charge. The magnum isn't OP, it is a 5 shot weapon. Ok, because it's so OP I want to see you carry your team in Super Fiesta with the magnum. You can share that match here.
I never said spartan abilities, I'm talking about movement, maybe you should watch the video I linked.... Do you know how much practice it takes to hit a spring jump consistently? It is harder than the button combos imo. I have used the spring jump many times to get higher than my opponent regain shields and challenge again. Thrust is used as apart of strafe so using thrust well means you strafe well. I'm saying that because people can bail themselves out of situations it takes more skill to kill them than the predecessors. I don't know what one playlist (Mythic Rumble) s to do with a whole game being skilled. I've played Mythic and it is easier than any other playlist except swat. Players can't sprint away and thrust is nerfed so it's like Halo 2 without the button combos to help them out. Of course this is the result of the H2BR being powerful because it was already easy to use when you could sprint, thrust, etc. Mythic is still Halo 5 btw, so are you agreeing with me?
HCS and mythic don't have spartan charge. The magnum isn't OP, it is a 5 shot weapon. Ok, because it's so OP I want to see you carry your team in Super Fiesta with the magnum. You can share that match here.
Sorry but that's a pretty terrible argument. Super Fiesta is completely random with power weapons. Of course I guy isn't gonna compete against 2 guys in a room with a rocket launcher and The Answer, with just a pistol.

But the pistol can easily beat someone with a BR or AR, in a regular slayer match.
I don’t think it’s the most skilled game, but it definitely has a substantial skill gap. I would say Halo 2 was the most skilled game due to how critical timing weapons/power ups, and map control were. Sure those things are still important, but features like the weapon pad countdown and the insane amount of bullet magnetism make small mistakes more forgiving.

Then there is the advanced movement issue. I enjoy it from a gameplay perspective, but it’s significantly easier to get away from a fight in H5 than past games. In Halo 2 you had to stand your ground most of the time because there was no panic button, sprint, or clamber to help you run away.

Once I got used to the advanced movement, I thought H5 was one of the easier games to play
Spartan abilities are an integral part ofthe movement as a whole in H5. It's not like Reach where you had to pick them up in some game modes, or spawn with certain ones. You said it yourself: thrusters are an extension of your strafe. I can understand why many people like it, but I've won a few 1v1s against decent players by hardly stafing, then thrusting in a random direction. I've lost many 1v1s, because somebody did the same to me. Thrusters make the game feel like a twitch shooter a lot of times. 343 already made crouch strafing way better than any other Halo. You don't even have to stop moving to crouch. It's like a new feature that improved the gameplay without ruining the golden triangle. You don't need thrusters when you have crouch strafing.
I mentioned Mythic Rumble, because it feels much better to play in my opinion. If you read some of the posts from players that actually like the advanced movement, they too like how it plays, though they want thrusters to remain in Halo 6, and that's fine if they like them. Even with the 18m radar, you no longer have to worry about somebody hitting you with a charge for a cheap kill. There's a lot of kill stealing though, but that's because of the maps and movement speed which will obviously be fixed in the future. I agree that the H2br feels easier to use. It doesn't feel right for that gamemode. They should just give everybody a pistol.
Just throwing this out there, but there's no concrete evidence that Halo 5's bullet magnetism is universally stronger than any previous Halo title. Sure there may be an outlier weapon or two, but generally speaking its bullet magnetism is right in line will all of the previous titles. The idea that it's stronger is just a false premise that's been passed around long enough by naysayers who reference the game's movement and abilities as the reason despite lacking verifiable evidence that it has become generally believed to be true by most community members; particularly, those who have a negative perspective toward the new abilities.

Aim assist is another area where it's difficult to suggest that it's much different from past titles. But again, because naysayers suggest it's the case due to the game's movement and abilities it somehow has become generally believed.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2