Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why Is the CArbine a REQ?

OP ABedofFlowers

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
It’s a pretty fair thing that the Needle Carbine and other variant are REQs, but I can’t see a reason for the base Carbine to be a REQ. The same could maaaybe be said about the BPR and Storm Rifle, but that’s an issue for another day.
Because they're all Covenant weapons.
So? They’re not particularly OP. They’re really just counterparts to existing UNSC weapons that you *can* spawn with. In the SR and BPR’s case, with a few drawbacks and advantages.

For example, the AR is hitscan while the BPR and SR are projectile base. The fair trade off is higher shield damage, but lower health damage.
It’s a pretty fair thing that the Needle Carbine and other variant are REQs, but I can’t see a reason for the base Carbine to be a REQ. The same could maaaybe be said about the BPR and Storm Rifle, but that’s an issue for another day.
I could not agree more. The BR bore fest has bothered me since day 1. In fact, I made similar posts back then. Other ‘similar’ weapons need to be loadouts.

Hope this is fixed in whatever comes next.
So? They’re not particularly OP. They’re really just counterparts to existing UNSC weapons that you *can* spawn with. In the SR and BPR’s case, with a few drawbacks and advantages.

For example, the AR is hitscan while the BPR and SR are projectile base. The fair trade off is higher shield damage, but lower health damage.
I think we're just "supposed" to start with base UNSC weapons, and anything past that is obtained through a Req. I'm not saying that I agree with it necessarily, but I think that's the logic 343 used when coming up with the Req system.
Staying within the confines of the game, you're in a Warzone simulation, therefore the common UNSC weapons are going to be your loadouts because you're a marine and that's the kind of stuff you'd have at your disposal to start with, not covenant and promethean weapons. Everything beyond that point is just to spice up the experience.
Staying within the confines of the game, you're in a Warzone simulation, therefore the common UNSC weapons are going to be your loadouts because you're a marine and that's the kind of stuff you'd have at your disposal to start with, not covenant and promethean weapons. Everything beyond that point is just to spice up the experience.
If this is the case, I think this is one of the instances where 343i might have leaned a little too far toward lore instead of gameplay. I love how seriously they take their lore, but gameplay should come first. Even though loadouts as a whole weren’t too great in Halo 4, players had a lot more choice than they do in Halo 5. As an aside, I’d argue Halo 4’s BTB belongs in the top 5 of the most fun modes in any Halo game.

To be clear, I totally agree with what you’re saying. Just adding a thought. An alternative that comes to mind is the same old one about wanting to bloat the REQ system.
It is probably a REQ because it has a certain amount of power, even if it is available in multiplayer matches.
It's more powerful than normal br, try to win 1vs1 in wz maps and you'll see. I save like 100-120 carbines and use them all in wza, I even use level 2 carbine when Im at level 3 xD. The big power of that weapon is his speed, I have lost more battles vs pistol than vs brs, aiming when someone is shooting you with carbine is very difficult
The problem is, Halo 4 kinda disproves that.

Due to the SoS and the arms trades going around with the UNSC, Spartan fireteams had access to a decent array of Covenant weapons. That’s why, in Spartan Ops/Halo 4, we could spawn in with some basic Covenant weapons (the Carbine being one of them.)

For the sake of gameplay, I can see why the Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenades aren’t default spawning things (unless you use an armor mod, in PG’s case). The other weapons I mentioned wouldn’t be too game breaking, though.
It's more powerful than normal br, try to win 1vs1 in wz maps and you'll see. I save like 100-120 carbines and use them all in wza, I even use level 2 carbine when Im at level 3 xD. The big power of that weapon is his speed, I have lost more battles vs pistol than vs brs, aiming when someone is shooting you with carbine is very difficult
I tended to win with BR over Carbine... Granted, I haven’t played MP in years, but still.
I’d argue that the DMR is better than the base BR, but it’s still a spawn weapon. And BR defeats AR. SMG depends. Magnum is a little OP in H5.
J Teeps wrote:
I could not agree more. The BR bore fest has bothered me since day 1. In fact, I made similar posts back then. Other ‘similar’ weapons need to be loadouts.

Hope this is fixed in whatever comes next.
If we can get playable elites (and no, not the hulking, hairless brutes we see in Halo 4 and 5) and Carbine/PR spawns as an option, I will be a happy man.
Don't really play WZ but I think the Carbine is more suited for long range over every loadout weapon at req level 2.

If you get it quickly you can pretty easily descope any opposing player and either kill them or allow your team some breathing room to capture a base.
Don't really play WZ but I think the Carbine is more suited for long range over every loadout weapon at req level 2.

If you get it quickly you can pretty easily descope any opposing player and either kill them or allow your team some breathing room to capture a base.
Why not make it a LV4 or 5 spawn weapon, like the DMR?

Why not make it a LV4 or 5 spawn weapon, like the DMR?
Would be fine by me, but there are so few reqs under level 3 that can potentially make a difference in a game. Maybe they didn't want people just waiting until level 3 to call stuff in.
Same could be said for base plasma pistol, boltshot, suppressor etc...

Just sell anything you can easily obtain from dead AI.
Watch Precellence's videos on YouTube playing Warzone. He frequently pulls out a carbine at the start of the game and it definitely outmatches a regular BR and pistol. It has great range, super quick rate of fire, and pinpoint accuracy.

In fact in BTB most players will swap out their default pistil/BR's for carbines when they're in the map.
ABedofFlowers - Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks

Two of those weapons have homing fire, the other is able to strip shields in one shot.
stckrboy wrote:
ABedofFlowers - Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
Too crashy for someone on mobile.
M0hammed wrote:
Watch Precellence's videos on YouTube playing Warzone. He frequently pulls out a carbine at the start of the game and it definitely outmatches a regular BR and pistol. It has great range, super quick rate of fire, and pinpoint accuracy.

In fact in BTB most players will swap out their default pistil/BR's for carbines when they're in the map.
And the DMR? If power was an issue in Warzone, I’d like to point out the energy bayonets.

Two of those weapons have homing fire, the other is able to strip shields in one shot.
stckrboy wrote:
Too crashy for someone on mobile.
M0hammed wrote:

And the DMR? If power was an issue in Warzone, I’d like to point out the energy bayonets.
Yeah I know, but they are plentiful from dead AI
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2