Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why is this game so -Yoinking!- laggy?

OP LovelyJoey21605

Title. Haven't played in like a year. Was it always this attrocious, or is this a lack of people playing the game?
P.S. No. It's not my internet.
No. It's not my internet.
Yeah it is
I literally came on to Halo Waypoint just to make a post about this, so I can concur with you. I've been having random times where I or other players will lag. But I think it has more to do with host advantage. It's god awful right now. I have games where I will completely decimate the other team, and then have games where I'm completely obliterated myself. At first I was just thinking that the skill gap in this game had reached new heights, but then I realized that doesn't happen to a game that's been out for 5 years.I started noticing that headshots just don't register sometimes, I can't get melees in sometimes, and now people in swat are killing me before I even finish turning corners. It makes it really hard and frustrating to play competitive playlists when it starts to get this obnoxious.
Yeah it is
You ever say anything constructive or were you just trying to reach your -Yoink- quota for the day?
What region are you playing from, and what console do you use? I’ve heard some people say the series consoles make the game more laggy, but I can’t vouch for that. I play from North America on an original Xbox one and I haven’t had much issue with lag. Occasionally I will get a laggy match, but it’s so rare I just attribute it to the opposing players connection
It is a combination of a lot of different things. I have hardwired gigabit internet in the middle of the US and I still get the occasional laggy game.

There are not a lot of players playing, so any match is likely going to have at least a few players playing on a data center far away from where they are. It doesn't matter what your Internet speed is if you live in Oceania or Europe, because you will be connecting to US data centers most of the time. Even within the US, you may be connecting to the opposite coast which is enough to give some stutters or you will happen to run into a match hosted from Mexico or EU.

The best you can do is set your preference to connection, but chances are that you will start experiencing really long wait times, and may still get connected to laggy servers if the gametype you choose is underpopulated (most are).
Mongerty wrote:
It is a combination of a lot of different things. I have hardwired gigabit internet in the middle of the US and I still get the occasional laggy game.

There are not a lot of players playing, so any match is likely going to have at least a few players playing on a data center far away from where they are. It doesn't matter what your Internet speed is if you live in Oceania or Europe, because you will be connecting to US data centers most of the time. Even within the US, you may be connecting to the opposite coast which is enough to give some stutters or you will happen to run into a match hosted from Mexico or EU.

The best you can do is set your preference to connection, but chances are that you will start experiencing really long wait times, and may still get connected to laggy servers if the gametype you choose is underpopulated (most are).
I thought there was only one or no servers to connect to in Mexico. I have a place in Mexico, and can vouch for the high quality of their internet. Everyone basically has FTTH which is a huge advantage when you see latency under 15ms from a server 1000+ miles away.
Yeah it is
You ever say anything constructive or were you just trying to reach your -Yoink- quota for the day?
If it's not servers it's internet and wifi speeds. CowKingThe3rd is likely correct, unless non-US servers are just not decent.
I've started replaying the campaign, and I've been getting lag when Soldiers teleport. I don't think I've had any other offline game lag like that
I literally came on to Halo Waypoint just to make a post about this, so I can concur with you. I've been having random times where I or other players will lag. But I think it has more to do with host advantage. It's god awful right now. I have games where I will completely decimate the other team, and then have games where I'm completely obliterated myself. At first I was just thinking that the skill gap in this game had reached new heights, but then I realized that doesn't happen to a game that's been out for 5 years.I started noticing that headshots just don't register sometimes, I can't get melees in sometimes, and now people in swat are killing me before I even finish turning corners. It makes it really hard and frustrating to play competitive playlists when it starts to get this obnoxious.
I get the point. I play regular Infection and…
Yeah.
Sometimes I play godmode but when lag happens… zombies can kill me from the other side of the map through walls.And when I’m infected it takes around 5 hits to kill someone.
At first I thought it was my controller but it couldn’t be as I had bought a new Elite controller.
Realised it was lag.
Happens if too many people are using your wi-fi router, or just have general weak connection.
Or if everybody else has such crap connection that they take 10-20 seconds to register what happened.
Meanwhile Im on a series x and can't connect into a match. Click on everything social, ranked, etc. And it will just stay searching forever to no avail. Pop in any other game cod, gears, r6 and I'm instantly playing against other ppl. Wouldn't mind one last round of warzone firefight before Infinite releases.