Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why is warzone firefight so unbalanced?

OP N7 Dutch STR

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
This firefight is the most unbalanced thing i.ve ever seen, dmr's getting outranged by suppressors and boltshots, hunters can now snipe you woth their automatic homing cannons, knights destroying you mantis/scorpion by shooting 6 CHARGED incineration shots in less then 2 seconds, or your scorpion/wraith getting emp'd by almost every attach of the warden eternal and then melee'd to death, wasps getting shot out of the sky by incineration cannons that home in at dmr range(even the heartseeker doesnt have that much range) or the hunter issue...., enemies in round 1already spawn with beam rifles banshees fuel rod cannons when players can only hope for a level 2 req assault rifle, enemy ai spawning on top of your "defend" the core/armory objective, soldiers and elites being able to take multiple grav hammer/energy swords hit but only get staggered and then just 1 hit kill you with their melee, dont even get me started about constantly teleporting soldiers everytime you shoot at them and sometimes even teleport on top of your vehicle and hijack you, or on attack on sanctum spawning PROMETHEAN MANTIS BOSSES INSIDE THE GARAGE along with ACTIVE CAMO SOLDIERS USING SAW'S OR BINARY RIFLES, or on darkstar having infinite spawning prometheans using rocket turrets along with 4 knight bosses AND a mythic warden eternal, and 2 legendary knight bosses and then 2 legendary warden eternals + 1 mythic warden eternal IN THE BACK OF A HOMEBASE and of you die YOU GET A 30 SECOND RESPAWN TIMER IN A 5 MIN ROUND only to spawn on the other side of the map and easily losing like 1/5 of the round because you got sniped by a non-overheating incin cannon........ Wth was 343 thinking when "remaking" firefight?
dmr's getting outranged by suppressors and boltshots
Don't rely on loadout weapons in Warzone Firefight, in later rounds. Also that's not how to use apostrophes.
hunters can now snipe you woth their automatic homing cannons
This is really only a problem for people who are making the mistake of fighting Mythic hunters with weapons instead of vehicles.
knights destroying you mantis/scorpion by shooting 6 CHARGED incineration shots in less then 2 seconds
ok, I'll grant you this one. That is kind of -Yoink-
or your scorpion/wraith getting emp'd by almost every attach of the warden eternal and then melee'd to death
This isn't a problem if you can keep your distance, which usually isn't too hard unless he decides to charge you...which he doesn't do if you're far enough away. You should never be getting within melee range of the Warden when you're driving a tank. Also the Wheelman mod helps a lot with the EMPing issue.
wasps getting shot out of the sky by incineration cannons that home in at dmr range(even the heartseeker doesnt have that much range)
Yeah, this can take some getting used to. Remember not to fly too close to Knights when you're in a Wasp and watch for those charged shots. Sometimes I get careless and get my Wasp incinerated by Knights, and that is frustrating, but not too hard to avoid.
enemies in round 1already spawn with beam rifles banshees fuel rod cannons when players can only hope for a level 2 req assault rifle
Or a level 2 Warthog. Those beam rifle Jackals on Sanctum are indeed annoying but I make a point of dispatching them before anything else. But it's not like they make the round impossible to complete or anything.
enemy ai spawning on top of your "defend" the core/armory objective
To be honest I kinda wish it would let us know what round is coming up next during the intermission. That way, experienced players can know where to go and what req to call in.
soldiers and elites being able to take multiple grav hammer/energy swords hit but only get staggered and then just 1 hit kill you with their melee
Again, stop using weapons in Warzone Firefight. Especially melee weapons!
dont even get me started about constantly teleporting soldiers everytime you shoot at them and sometimes even teleport on top of your vehicle and hijack you
Yeah their teleporting is annoying but that's not exclusive to firefight. And if you drive carefully, you will rarely get hijacked. In the event that it does happen, try calling in a plasma pistol to get it back (granted, this rarely works, but sometimes it does)
or on attack on sanctum spawning PROMETHEAN MANTIS BOSSES INSIDE THE GARAGE along with ACTIVE CAMO SOLDIERS USING SAW'S OR BINARY RIFLES
Use an Ultra Ghost for this round. That way, you can splatter the Soldiers and get into the base to fight the Mantis
or on darkstar having infinite spawning prometheans using rocket turrets along with 4 knight bosses AND a mythic warden eternal
Actually, only four rocket turret Soldiers spawn on that round, in total. Best strategy is to splatter them.
and 2 legendary knight bosses and then 2 legendary warden eternals + 1 mythic warden eternal IN THE BACK OF A HOMEBASE and of you die YOU GET A 30 SECOND RESPAWN TIMER IN A 5 MIN ROUND only to spawn on the other side of the map and easily losing like 1/5 of the round because you got sniped by a non-overheating incin cannon........
I agree, these things are annoying. However, in the past, it was worse. The Legendary Wardens used to be up in the area where the Hunters spawn, but they changed it so they are at least down where tanks can get at them. Best thing for this round is a Wraith, if you ask me.

And yes the respawn timer is annoying. But, try taking my advice in this post (particularly the part about using vehicles instead of weapons) and Warzone Firefight won't seem so unbalanced. And remember to play on Heroic because it's more fun! 😸
Don't rely on loadout weapons in Warzone Firefight. Also that's not how to use apostrophes.

-i do mostly rely on them because you cant always defend an armory with vehicles and power weapons9 of 10 times dont have enough ammo to be usefull
This is really only a problem for people who are making the mistake of fighting Mythic hunters with weapons instead of vehicles.
-uhh...no even the standard non-boss hunters can and then even in vehicles they just start shooting FULLY automatic(not in bursts) so they destroy your vehicle in secons anyway....unless wzff was meant to be a "scorpion for everything" gamemode...
knights destroying you mantis/scorpion by shooting 6 CHARGED incineration shots in less then 2 seconds
or your scorpion/wraith getting emp'd by almost every attach of the warden eternal and then melee'd to death
This isn't a problem if you can keep your distance, which usually isn't too hard unless he decides to charge you...which he doesn't do if you're far enough away. You should never be getting within melee range of the Warden when you're driving a tank. Also the Wheelman mod helps a lot with the EMPing issue.

-Yes w/o wheelman its almost(if not) impossible, but keep in mind because of the oh so cool req system not every1 has wheelman and even if he(or it) doesnt it just launches homing black holes towards ya
wasps getting shot out of the sky by incineration cannons that home in at dmr range(even the heartseeker doesnt have that much range)
Yeah, this can take some getting used to. Remember not to fly too close to Knights when you're in a Wasp and watch for those charged shots. Sometimes I get careless and get my Wasp incinerated by Knights, and that is frustrating, but not too hard to avoid.

-not too close? I even got shot out of my hannibal wasp when i was out of my own red reticle range so i.m not sure what you call "too close", i.m not stupid and flies right in front of knights lmao
enemies in round 1already spawn with beam rifles banshees fuel rod cannons when players can only hope for a level 2 req assault rifle
Or a level 2 Warthog. Those beam rifle Jackals on Sanctum are indeed annoying but I make a point of dispatching them before anything else. But it's not like they make the round impossible to complete or anything.

-again on darkstar at round 1 you often need 2 defend east armory(which again is on the other side of the map) and a warthog doesnt help much of you need to defend something(unless you like to be everywhere but the objective)
To be honest I kinda wish it would let us know what round is coming up next during the intermission. That way, experienced players can know where to go and what req to call in.

-even whem you are already a minute into the defending round they just spawn so close to the objective (or they (again) just teleport on top of it) that once you die its pretty much an "assault the forerunner core" instead of defending it
soldiers and elites being able to take multiple grav hammer/energy swords hit but only get staggered and then just 1 hit kill you with their melee

-1st no loadout, then no power weapons? Te fact that you need vehicles for almost everything shows how unbalanced it already is, if you need a tank to take out a knight boss because of the broken non-overheating rapis fire shooting homing incin cannons thats just not okay
dont even get me started about constantly teleporting soldiers everytime you shoot at them and sometimes even teleport on top of your vehicle and hijack you
Yeah their teleporting is annoying but that's not exclusive to firefight. And if you drive carefully, you will rarely get hijacked. In the event that it does happen, try calling in a plasma pistol to get it back (granted, this rarely works, but sometimes it does)

-in this case i was mostly referring to tanks and mantises(because they're most of the time the only thing that can do something) driving a tank away from a (again) teleporting soldier in most cases a no go because they always catch up sometime, and just keep meleeing your vehicle to death
or on attack on sanctum spawning PROMETHEAN MANTIS BOSSES INSIDE THE GARAGE along with ACTIVE CAMO SOLDIERS USING SAW'S OR BINARY RIFLES
Use an Ultra Ghost for this round. That way, you can splatter the Soldiers and get into the base to fight the Mantis

-assuming they dont teleport away and hijack you in the proces (yes that happened xd) and even then they just respawn and an ultra ghost wont beat mantis because somehow the rockets on the bosses' mantis home in(even tho they're not even using an oni)
or on darkstar having infinite spawning prometheans using rocket turrets along with 4 knight bosses AND a mythic warden eternal
Actually, only four rocket turret Soldiers spawn on that round, in total. Best strategy is to splatter them.

-and then get through the razors edge soldier only so the rocket turret soldiers can respawn again and again and again yaay
and 2 legendary knight bosses and then 2 legendary warden eternals + 1 mythic warden eternal IN THE BACK OF A HOMEBASE and of you die YOU GET A 30 SECOND RESPAWN TIMER IN A 5 MIN ROUND only to spawn on the other side of the map and easily losing like 1/5 of the round because you got sniped by a non-overheating incin cannon........
I agree, these things are annoying. However, in the past, it was worse. The Legendary Wardens used to be up in the area where the Hunters spawn, but they changed it so they are at least down where tanks can get at them. Best thing for this round is a Wraith, if you ask me.

-it'll just emp the wraith anyway and jump down to melee you to death....(talking from experience

And yes the respawn timer is annoying. But, try taking my advice in this post (particularly the part about using vehicles instead of weapons) and Warzone Firefight won't seem so unbalanced. And remember to play on Heroic because it's more fun! 😸
-i do mostly rely on them because you cant always defend an armory with vehicles and power weapons9 of 10 times dont have enough ammo to be usefull
True but Ghosts are usually better than loadout weapons for that, or even Gungeese. Here's something fun to try: get a Gungoose, put on the Grenadier armor mod, park it somewhere safe in the armory, sit in the passenger seat and throw as many grenades as you want. That would probably be better than using loadouts for those rounds, because you should be able to grenade the enemies before you're in range of their weapons. But if that doesn't work, then I recommend just using a Ghost
-uhh...no even the standard non-boss hunters can and then even in vehicles they just start shooting FULLY automatic(not in bursts) so they destroy your vehicle in secons anyway....unless wzff was meant to be a "scorpion for everything" gamemode...
Sometimes, it feels that way... But if they use their pesky homing beam, it's best to get to cover and wait until it's distracted by someone else to shoot it.
-Yes w/o wheelman its almost(if not) impossible, but keep in mind because of the oh so cool req system not every1 has wheelman and even if he(or it) doesnt it just launches homing black holes towards ya
I do feel sorry for people who want to play WZFF but don't have the Wheelman mod. That req system is not very friendly to new players :/
-not too close? I even got shot out of my hannibal wasp when i was out of my own red reticle range so i.m not sure what you call "too close", i.m not stupid and flies right in front of knights lmao
True, you do have to be pretty far away to not get hit by those. But, in a Wasp, most of the time you don't need to be within red reticle range anyway (unless you need your missiles to lock on)
-again on darkstar at round 1 you often need 2 defend east armory(which again is on the other side of the map) and a warthog doesnt help much of you need to defend something(unless you like to be everywhere but the objective)
The thing about that round in particular is that it used to be round 2. And the other round where you defend the other armory from Prometheans used to be round 1. But 343 realized that was a very unbalanced round to have as round 1, so they just switched it with the other defending round. That's why it occurs so far away from the starting point, now. And Warthogs aren't the best vehicles especially if you don't have a buddy to drive or gun, but in many cases they are better than level 2 assault rifles.
-1st no loadout, then no power weapons? Te fact that you need vehicles for almost everything shows how unbalanced it already is, if you need a tank to take out a knight boss because of the broken non-overheating rapis fire shooting homing incin cannons thats just not okay
I agree, that is not ok. That's just how it is, most of the time. The problem is that 343 balanced the req levels for PvP Warzone, and then added PvE Warzone as somewhat of an afterthought. This is why a Nornfang, which you can use to maybe kill a Knight or two and probably die in the process, costs as much req energy as an Oni Scorpion which can keep you safe while you kill as many Knights and Wardens as you want.

Meanwhile, in PvP Warzone, a Nornfang can be just as deadly as an Oni Scorpion, if not more. That's just one example. I agree with you that Warzone Firefight is unbalanced in this regard. I think a good way for them to solve this issue would be to make it so req stations refill any and all power ammo, exclusively in firefight. Then the weapons would be worth calling in.
-in this case i was mostly referring to tanks and mantises(because they're most of the time the only thing that can do something) driving a tank away from a (again) teleporting soldier in most cases a no go because they always catch up sometime, and just keep meleeing your vehicle to death
This sometimes happens to me, but very rarely, as I try to keep as much distance from Soldiers when driving a tank as possible. I just, kind of wish they wouldn't teleport. But again that's a problem with the Soldiers, not with firefight
-assuming they dont teleport away and hijack you in the proces (yes that happened xd) and even then they just respawn and an ultra ghost wont beat mantis because somehow the rockets on the bosses' mantis home in(even tho they're not even using an oni)
A crucial part of defeating those Mantis bosses is to gang up on them. If about three people are attacking them at once, it borks their AI and they become too confused to attack anybody. You gotta use the Ultra Ghost to fight the Mantis when the Mantis is being distracted by your teammates. Just hope they are reliable enough to do that for you...
Don't forget the Banshee Raiders, pretty much had my Ultra Banshee grounded that quick by them
You need to know what reqs to use on what enemies mythic isnt easy especially
Don't rely on loadout weapons in Warzone Firefight, in later rounds. Also that's not how to use apostrophes.

Good advice.

On Heroic, I mainly just use Loadout Weapons (I stick to the extended Mag weapons -- AR, Pistol, BR, SMG, DMR) through all the rounds or make use of what others may leave behind (I'll also hop into other people's vehicles -- even drive their warthogs for them) and I usually manage to finish within the top 3 scoring players plus I'd venture a guess and say I win these matches over 90% of the time. However, if the win is looking to be in jeopardy within the 5th round I may call in a power weapon to help finish off the mystic(s) -- I like the Fuel Rod Cannon because of the amount of rounds.

On Legendary, I'll mix and match power weapons + power ups and vehicles throughout the rounds. Vehicle wise, I'll usually go with a Ghost for rounds two and three, upgrade to a regular Banshee for four and five or sub in a Wraith or Tank in the case of a round four or five re-spawn though it'll depend on the current mission and whether it makes sense to call one of those vehicles in. Power weapon wise I'll grab whatever I think is best for the job at hand and often with a power-up. Not really confident to guess what my win rate is here, but I'd ball-park a rough 70%. I tend to finish in the top half of scores.

I rarely mess with Mystic because I get really annoyed after round 3. I have a win rate of 0% (0 for 4). Maybe if I played it with a full team instead of solo which is all I ever seem to do in Firefight.
I agree, that is not ok. That's just how it is, most of the time. The problem is that 343 balanced the req levels for PvP Warzone, and then added PvE Warzone as somewhat of an afterthought. This is why a Nornfang, which you can use to maybe kill a Knight or two and probably die in the process, costs as much req energy as an Oni Scorpion which can keep you safe while you kill as many Knights and Wardens as you want.

Meanwhile, in PvP Warzone, a Nornfang can be just as deadly as an Oni Scorpion, if not more. That's just one example. I agree with you that Warzone Firefight is unbalanced in this regard. I think a good way for them to solve this issue would be to make it so req stations refill any and all power ammo, exclusively in firefight. Then the weapons would be worth calling in.
I've thought that they should just tailor the REQ requirements per the mode. Power weapons should simply cost less in Firefight and perhaps certain Vehicles a tad bit more. But your idea isn't necessarily a bad one either -- any unintended consequences may need to be ironed out though.
eLantern wrote:
On Heroic, I mainly just use Loadout Weapons (I stick to the extended Mag weapons -- AR, Mag, BR, SMG, DMR) through all the rounds or make use of what others may leave behind (I'll also hop into other people's vehicles -- even drive their warthogs for them) and I usually manage to finish within the top 3 scoring players plus I'd venture a guess and say I win these matches over 90% of the time. However, if the win is looking to be in jeopardy within the 5th round I may call in a power weapon to help finish off the mystic(s) -- I like the Fuel Rod Cannon because of the amount of rounds.
Heroic is certainly doable this way too. I just suggested using vehicles instead of loadouts to reduce the amount of frustrating -Yoink- that OP seems to be having a hard time dealing with. And occasionally I do call in power weapons, too. Mostly splasers and Void's Tears for vehicle bosses, and Answers in later rounds, which are especially fun when combined with a damage boost.
eLantern wrote:
On Legendary, I'll mix and match power weapons + power ups and vehicles throughout the rounds. Vehicle wise, I'll usually go with a Ghost for rounds two and three, upgrade to a regular Banshee for four and five or sub in a Wraith or Tank in the case of a round four or five re-spawn though it'll depend on the current mission and whether it makes sense to call one of those vehicles in. Power weapon wise I'll grab whatever I think is best for the job at hand and often with a power-up. Not really confident to guess what my win rate is here, but I'd ball-park a rough 70%. I tend to finish in the top half of scores.
This is pretty much how I play Heroic (which is why I'm always in danger of running out of level 3 Ghosts 😿)
eLantern wrote:
I rarely mess with Mystic because I get really annoyed after round 3. I have a win rate of 0% (0 for 4). Maybe if I played it with a full team instead of solo which is all I ever seem to do in Firefight.
Same here
eLantern wrote:
I've thought that they should just tailor the REQ requirements per the mode. Power weapons should simply cost less in Firefight and perhaps certain Vehicles a tad bit more. But your idea isn't a bad one either.
I like this idea, too. I just want 343 to do something about it
It's not unbalanced, you need a good team and know what REQs to use.
That pretty much summarises the WZFF feedback thread. You're right it's unbalanced but it is what it is and as others have pointed out, there are ways to get through while having fun.

Along with what has been said already here I suggest playing a few rounds of Mythic Firefight, then Legendary, then settle back down into Heroic with a few beers (or suitable non-alcoholic beverages if you're underage or just not so inclined).
You've hit the nail on the head as to why Firefight (and even Warzone in general) is problematic. It was bad enough having to learn the characteristics of countless req weapons and vehicles just to be able to understand what's happening in a Warzone match. Now with WZFF I also have to know the characteristics of countless enemies. The ridiculously over-powered and punitive characteristics of countless enemies. I don't take much pleasure out of it regardless of the quality of my squad, regardless of my place on the leaderboard, regardless of the disposition of my req collection.

WZFF needs an option to play solo, user-selectable difficulty, timer off, all reqs unlocked at start. That still wouldn't solve the problem of enemies so over-powered that I want to trade in the game, but it would be a start.
Warzone unbalanced? It's not supposed to be balanced, that is kinda the point to WARzone. Which firefight are you playing? If you are playing legendary or mythic it's supposed to be really hard. If you are playing heroic and struggling it's your tactics that need work not the game. Nate pretty much summed it up rather well. Mostly sounds like you aren't quite keeping your distance enough in vehicles. You don't need to be right up on enemies while in a vehicle. Heroic warzone was always the most fun/social mode to me. Learn the reqs and how they work and play tactically. If you play all reckless and if you going running head on into the group of enemies then yeah you will probably be cut down real quick.
So does OP want Firefight to be easier and not a challenge?
I don't know what difficulty you're playing, but a lot of your complaints seem to be that you don't really know the right tactics or vehicles to use when fighting enemies. The enemies also have to kind of be unbalanced because there are eight people in the game shooting them. Here are some general tips for the game or if you play on Heroic.

1) Hunters: Don't get too close and try to position yourself so you can peek and shoot because they're going to shoot those homing cannons at you. I find a Wasp is best since you can keep your distance and move side to side to avoid the cannons. Fight them with your teammates so their attention isn't completely on you.

2) Warden: Keep your distance and don't get in melee range. Only fight him with teammates so there will be less chances that he focuses on you the entire time with EMP hits. Use a Wraith if you get the 3 Wardens with one that's elevated in the back of the base so you can hit him easier.

3) Knights bosses: For starters, don't use a Wasp on the rounds where their incineration cannons can home in on you. They're very hard to avoid even if you have distance. There are exceptions, but generally I don't think it's a good idea. Like the Hunters, try and peek and shoot from behind cover if you can during those homing rounds and keep your distance. Use a heavy armored vehicle because the default ones will die almost instantly if they get hit with a multi-incin shot.

On Darkstar, don't bother with a Scorpion if you get the two Knight bosses for the final round. I find a Mantis is best since you can peek shoot with it or you can get away with just using power weapons if you're on Heroic.

4) Bosses in the garage: Pretty annoying, but the Mantis or Knight bosses (depending on the map) can be dispatched with a vehicle shooting into the doorways if you get the right height and/or angle.

5) Defending objectives: Early rounds you can get away with just loadout weapons due to the quick respawn times or use a Ghost. For later rounds like Ark's defend the cores, use heavy vehicles. If it's a round 4 defend the garage on Ark, you can use a Ghost as well preferably the Ultra variant.

6) If a soldier hijacks you, run up to the vehicle, wait a second or two and then hijack it back.
LUKEPOWA wrote:
I don't know what difficulty you're playing, but a lot of your complaints seem to be that you don't really know the right tactics or vehicles to use when fighting enemies. The enemies also have to kind of be unbalanced because there are eight people in the game shooting them.
These are the kinds of responses that are both 100% on target and heartbreaking at the same time.

Of course the game should offer challenge, but challenge doesn't always mean the same thing to different players, and it isn't always merely about the heroic/legendary/mythic differentiators. I know exactly what I need to do to be "successful" in mythic WZFF, but that doesn't mean that the gametype doesn't still feel artificial or that I get any satisfaction or pleasure out of it.

And there are three answers to the eight spartan team. Answer one, 343's answer, is over-powered enemies. And in my opinion that's the least satisfying solution. Answer two would have been normal-strength enemies in high numbers. Answer three would be (say it with me now) the option to play solo. C'mon, 343! Maximum team size = 1. It really is that easy.
And there are three answers to the eight spartan team. Answer one, 343's answer, is over-powered enemies. And in my opinion that's the least satisfying solution. Answer two would have been normal-strength enemies in high numbers. Answer three would be (say it with me now) the option to play solo. C'mon, 343! Maximum team size = 1. It really is that easy.
3 would be the best option followed by 2, but I definitely don't think we need more enemies even at normal health levels. Crawlers are one shot kills to the head, but they can easily be overwhelming on some rounds when there's a ton of them on the map.
All these mythic enemies are really hard, as intended to be. But mythic or not all of them still have their weak spots.
A frustrating game is often punishing, and not a fun type of challenge to quite a few players.

Have you suceeded if you've made a mode where players start feeling cheated?

If I understood the Challenge episode of Extra Credits correctly, most overall considered fun challenging games are those which offer players multiple ways to tackle a challenging problem.

Looking at these posts giving advice, agreeing with each other, seems like there's not that many options to approach a difficult enemy or situation, not that many ways to play in.
Naqser wrote:
A frustrating game is often punishing, and not a fun type of challenge to quite a few players.

Have you suceeded if you've made a mode where players start feeling cheated?

If I understood the Challenge episode of Extra Credits correctly, most overall considered fun challenging games are those which offer players multiple ways to tackle a challenging problem.

Looking at these posts giving advice, agreeing with each other, seems like there's not that many options to approach a difficult enemy or situation, not that many ways to play in.
"Cheated" was Round 5 on Apex when the Grunt Goblin was first introduced. It was so hard that 343i had to nerf it. The Grunt Goblin used to spawn in with a battalion of Incineration Cannon-wielding Knights. Every single one of them. Needless to say, you couldn't get any vehicles near him, lest you get 12 Incineration Cannons fired at you at the same time. That was true Firefight hell.

Anyway, outside of Mythic Warzone Firefight, people should only feel cheated if their other 7 teammates aren't pulling their weight. With the exception of the 3 Wardens spawning in the backs of the home bases in Urban and Stormbreak (they're a little tricky to deal with), Firefight isn't all that difficult. Challenging, but not impossible. Certainly not as difficult as OP is making it out to be. You can do rounds 1 and 2, and sometimes 3 without any vehicles. Round 4, get your heavy vehicles out in anticipation for round 5. If there aren't at least 3 or 4 heavy vehicles out on the field by then, the squad isn't trying to win.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2