Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why Raid on Apex 7 is the best Warzone map

OP HFish12

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Raid on Apex 7 is the most well-rounded Warzone map in Halo 5, and here's why.

To start things off, it's the most balanced map of the four. The bases aren't too spread out from each other, and the Spire is designed so the enemy team actually has a chance to steal the base capture. The boss placements are in the middle of the maps, making it fair play for both teams. The trees, plants, and map design makes it so snipers don't dominate the game and equates to more close-range combat.

Apex is also arguable the most creative and intuitive Warzone map. Being able to battle in a realistic jungle-esque environment is something Halo hasn't been able to successfully capture until now. The bosses, in my mind, are the most memorable and the terrain is truly outstanding. 343 clearly put a lot of thought and effort into this map and I thank them for that.
Yes, I agree. Lots of passages as well.
I enjoy it quite a bit as well, but nothing will dethrone stormbreak as my favorite. :D
HFish12 wrote:
Raid on Apex 7 is the most well-rounded Warzone map in Halo 5, and here's why.

To start things off, it's the most balanced map of the four. The bases aren't too spread out from each other, and the Spire is designed so the enemy team actually has a chance to steal the base capture. The boss placements are in the middle of the maps, making it fair play for both teams. The trees, plants, and map design makes it so snipers don't dominate the game and equates to more close-range combat.

Apex is also arguable the most creative and intuitive Warzone map. Being able to battle in a realistic jungle-esque environment is something Halo hasn't been able to successfully capture until now. The bosses, in my mind, are the most memorable and the terrain is truly outstanding. 343 clearly put a lot of thought and effort into this map and I thank them for that.
You realize that this map is extremely similar to campaign mission The Silent Cartographer and the multiplayer map Death Island from Halo PC, right? Just thought I would point that out.

As for your larger point, I disagree. Apex 7 is easily my least favorite Warzone map, despite being inspired by one of the best campaign levels in the series. It's entirely too big and as a result, the action is spread extremely thin. It has a bunch of small paths and tunnels that only over-complicate the map flow and make it very difficult to control or predict. Blue team has a clear advantage at the start because the red armory has a tunnel leading straight to the top for no apparent reason. The home base pill boxes are annoying. Finally, it is the basis of the worst Warzone Assault map by far, a offense for which I can never forgive it.
It used to be my least favorite but has been growing on me lately. It is does have a pretty good balance. Vehicles can only be brought from the home base, lots of side routes to dodge enemies and a lot of cover.
I'm not going to argue the fact that Raid on Apex 7 is the best Warzone map. I wish I could but March on Stormbreak in that catagory as well but as long as Commander Locogos continues to spawn at the beginning of the match it remains the worst in my opinion because it gives one team an unfair boost to their req level at the vary beginning and lets them decimate the enemy team.
Map is by far the worst Warzone map in the game imo. More then half of the map aint even being used unless there's a boss to kill and on top of that map movement is really bad compared to other warzone maps, such as one team having a lot more accesses to reach the spire. To top it all of the environment is way to cluttered, making it easy for players to hide or run away before you land the killing shot.
It is the most balanced only reason I hate it is because the lines of sight are horrible and I seem to get games on that map the most
HFish12 wrote:
Raid on Apex 7 is the most well-rounded Warzone map in Halo 5, and here's why.

To start things off, it's the most balanced map of the four. The bases aren't too spread out from each other, and the Spire is designed so the enemy team actually has a chance to steal the base capture. The boss placements are in the middle of the maps, making it fair play for both teams. The trees, plants, and map design makes it so snipers don't dominate the game and equates to more close-range combat.

Apex is also arguable the most creative and intuitive Warzone map. Being able to battle in a realistic jungle-esque environment is something Halo hasn't been able to successfully capture until now. The bosses, in my mind, are the most memorable and the terrain is truly outstanding. 343 clearly put a lot of thought and effort into this map and I thank them for that.
You realize that this map is extremely similar to campaign mission The Silent Cartographer and the multiplayer map Death Island from Halo PC, right? Just thought I would point that out.

As for your larger point, I disagree. Apex 7 is easily my least favorite Warzone map, despite being inspired by one of the best campaign levels in the series. It's entirely too big and as a result, the action is spread extremely thin. It has a bunch of small paths and tunnels that only over-complicate the map flow and make it very difficult to control or predict. Blue team has a clear advantage at the start because the red armory has a tunnel leading straight to the top for no apparent reason. The home base pill boxes are annoying. Finally, it is the basis of the worst Warzone Assault map by far, a offense for which I can never forgive it.
A decade's worth of graphics makes a big difference. If you read my comment correctly you would notice that I said "realistic". Graphics from 2001 are not even close to the visuals that 2015 presents. What I'm trying to say is that Halo 5 boasts the most realistic graphics yet. If you disagree with me and think CE had better visuals, then you are out of your mind.
Its not balanced in the slightest! Blue teams armory is closer to all bosses it also has a more open line of sight to spire with only one height advantage for assaulting enemy teams. whilst red base's armory has the caves, grav cannons, as well as being able to just jump onto it from the assaulting side, With little to no line of sight to the spire.
Most of my friends hate Raid on Apex 7 for some reason, but it's my favorite out of the four. I agree with your points and I just love it in general.
I would disagree that it's the most balanced only because it's asymmetrical. I would argue that Blue Team has a bigger advantage because:
  • Red Armory has the side cave for sneaky approaches directly from Blue Base, whereas Red Team would have to traverse from their base, across the beach, and approach Blue Armory from the tall rock (much longer distance). At game start, there's a reason why Red Armory gets ambushed way more often than Blue Armory. It takes like 10 seconds less for Blue team to reach Red Armory off the start than the other way around.
  • Blue Team can exit their Base from the "back" tower and go straight to cave above and approach Red Armory quickly and with concealment. Red Team exits their Base from the "back" and they're on Spire's doorstep where there is likely to be lots of action. If Blue team has Spire control, good luck sneaking to Blue Armory.
  • Attacking bosses on the Beach. Almost direct line-of-sight from Blue Armory to the beach. You can sometimes get direct shots on Cpt. Hestro from the Blue Armory rooftop. Red Team on the other hand has to spawn at Red Base and traverse quite a bit to get to the beach. Or spawn at Red Armory and still traverse a long way (also risky if Blue has Spire control, as you have to run directly under it).
Taking into consideration just map layout, all other WZ maps are more balanced in that they are symmetrical. The only feature I give credit to Apex 7 is the "back" exit to the bases. Which gives your team a chance to escape a triple cap easily as there are more exits from the base for the enemy team to cover. I do agree with OP that the aesthetic is very pleasing though with its foliage and cave systems.
It used to be my least favorite but has been growing on me lately. It is does have a pretty good balance. Vehicles can only be brought from the home base, lots of side routes to dodge enemies and a lot of cover.
Same here. Couldn't stand it at first, but now really look forward to it. I do enjoy spawning at home base, then being able to run out the back and be right in the middle. Nice little escape, helps avoid farming
I totally agree with you OP. There's so many places to go and I love it. It could be a bit more balanced for red team but other than that, it's my favorite.
Well Apex 7 isn't too balanced when you're not on a full team and the other team knows exactly how to easily cap all 3 bases. When my spartan company and I play with a full team of 12 on Apex 7, 4 of us hop on the mongoose immediately at the start and head to the enemy armory and hold them back from it and 80% of the time we will be able to cap their armory before they can. While the rest of our team is capping our armory, then move onto spire. Before you know it we have all 3 bases within 5 minutes of the game. We usually destroy the core once we have all 3 bases cause honestly we rather play a different map. I do understand where you're coming from but for solo players up against a full team of 12 it can be hell.
HFish12 wrote:
The trees, plants, and map design makes it so snipers don't dominate the game and equates to more close-range combat.

I'm glad about that. The sentinel/snipe fest on noctus makes me sick.
I like how vehicles spawn at home base and not right in front of the enemy or directly above a Wraith Officer.

R.I.P banshee
Cashed wrote:
I do understand where you're coming from but for solo players up against a full team of 12 it can be hell.
Every map is hell then. On apex u're at least not trapped in the core.
Cashed wrote:
Well Apex 7 isn't too balanced when you're not on a full team and the other team knows exactly how to easily cap all 3 bases.
You can say that about all the WZ maps. The difference with Apex is that there is at least a cliff exit that you can potentially escape from if the enemy team isn't camping it.
This is an ironic post. It is easily one of the least balanced WZ maps and my one of my bottom two maps. As stated before one home base has a tunnel leading right to the action and the other doesn't. One armory has beach access and thus instant access to legendary bosses way before the other team because the other is on the opposite side (asymmetrical in placement). It a team captures that armory and the spire it is game over.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2