Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why req packs failed?

OP AMA4N

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
If you were you ask me why req packs failed it would be because they left nothing to be truly earned in H5 really. H5 is very unrewarding. Yeah you can get achievements and some gamer score for stuff but most don't care about those. Sure you can earn a few emblems by completing some commendations and getting to some Spartan ranks but who really cares about something that is visible for only a few moments before a game that most pay no attention too. I can see some potential in the req system but because they choose to cram everything into it it just made it to bloated and every unrewarding when you open a pack and it has crap you don't want in it. Plenty shouldn't have been in it.... For example the next tier weapons should have been unlocked by completing their respective commendations. You should have been able to earn more armor and cosmetics by game play. Stuff like that. But luckily they appear to be leaving the req system behind in H5 which hopefully happens and is a smart move by them if it does happen....when it comes to 343 we need to see it before we can believe it.
Heyhou117 wrote:
Req packs>halo3
The Halo Franchise > Req Packs
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Oh boy, how wrong you are
REQ packs were financially a real blast, at least for 343i
saying they failed is a straight lie

Not that I'm trying to advocate in favor of them, but due to the huge success
343i was able to provide a -Yoink- ton of content after the release, not talking about
the prize money available in the first H5G championships back then in 2016 and 2017

I definitely agree that an approach in the direction of the roots of the first Halo would be much appreciated tho
Please tell what' dlc' or extra content was actually provided after release because of req packs funding ?
the community will tell you everything to came after was what you'd expect in any traditional halo game at release not drip feed as fake added content in a unfinished game for the next year .
The HCS prize pool may indeed been funded halo tournaments for a few years but what was the net benefit of that to the halo community at large or even the HCS scene in general ?
I mean they are still making money from req packs even today and the only thing they are doing for h5 is playlist updates .
no new content or tournaments being funded ,

I have no issue with 343i making money but the ethics of req packs implementation and the framing of the narrative it is built apron is at best a very selective version of the truth or at worse a deceptive manipulation. Either way 343i knowingly designed the game around this system (outside of campaign , warzone and the req system was one of the few features ready to go at launch) and framed a strategic narrative to mitigate the fallout as such .
I hope they have learned from this and what's going on currently in the gaming landscape , but I certainly won't be preordering infinite and will wait for few weeks before purchasing in case "surprise mechanics " make an appearance after release as I now don't trust 343i or their business ethics .
SMOK69KMK wrote:
Oh boy, how wrong you are
REQ packs were financially a real blast, at least for 343i
saying they failed is a straight lie

Not that I'm trying to advocate in favor of them, but due to the huge success
343i was able to provide a -Yoink- ton of content after the release, not talking about
the prize money available in the first H5G championships back then in 2016 and 2017

I definitely agree that an approach in the direction of the roots of the first Halo would be much appreciated tho
Please tell what' dlc' or extra content was actually provided after release because of req packs funding ?
the community will tell you everything to came after was what you'd expect in any traditional halo game at release not drip feed as fake added content in a unfinished game for the next year .
The HCS prize pool may indeed been funded halo tournaments for a few years but what was the net benefit of that to the halo community at large or even the HCS scene in general ?
I mean they are still making money from req packs even today and the only thing they are doing for h5 is playlist updates .
no new content or tournaments being funded ,

I have no issue with 343i making money but the ethics of req packs implementation and the framing of the narrative it is built apron is at best a very selective version of the truth or at worse a deceptive manipulation. Either way 343i knowingly designed the game around this system (outside of campaign , warzone and the req system was one of the few features ready to go at launch) and framed a strategic narrative to mitigate the fallout as such .
I hope they have learned from this and what's going on currently in the gaming landscape , but I certainly won't be preordering infinite and will wait for few weeks before purchasing in case "surprise mechanics " make an appearance after release as I now don't trust 343i or their business ethics .
A sensible plan, to be sure. It's worth noting I think that 343 probably wouldn't be pulling this kind of move if not for Microsoft breathing over their shoulder. Or maybe I'm overestimating the degree of Halo nerddom among 343 staff...
I like req packs, and their randomness. I think that they allow you to fully customize your spartan and make it unique. If all the armors and helmets were available to everyone, everyone would just pick the coolest one and all look the same. I do agree that they should not cost money though, because i have been working hard on earning points and only have 90000.
I like req packs, and their randomness. I think that they allow you to fully customize your spartan and make it unique. If all the armors and helmets were available to everyone, everyone would just pick the coolest one and all look the same. I do agree that they should not cost money though, because i have been working hard on earning points and only have 90000.
I must disagree. Forgetting how unlock difficulty would hamfistedly determine what is "coolest" for most in a non random system, I will instead explain my personal choice in armor, at which I would have arrived without the other choices being locked behind loot boxes. See, I hate that the spartan underarmor is now colored instead of black. It just looks dumb and clashes with lore, and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to customize it separately from the armor. So I made my primary armor color pepper, only to find that to look dumb as well. I tried adding classic spartan green to break it up, but the only armor set I had that also featured a decent splash of secondary was Recluse Laeta, which also happens to look badass and a little classic in itself. At that point, I threw on the Security helmet to make the whole ensemble into one big homage to the greatest super soldiers of Bungie lore: Master Chief, Noble 6, and Security Chief.
Zifker wrote:
I like req packs, and their randomness. I think that they allow you to fully customize your spartan and make it unique. If all the armors and helmets were available to everyone, everyone would just pick the coolest one and all look the same. I do agree that they should not cost money though, because i have been working hard on earning points and only have 90000.
I must disagree. Forgetting how unlock difficulty would hamfistedly determine what is "coolest" for most in a non random system, I will instead explain my personal choice in armor, at which I would have arrived without the other choices being locked behind loot boxes. See, I hate that the spartan underarmor is now colored instead of black. It just looks dumb and clashes with lore, and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to customize it separately from the armor. So I made my primary armor color pepper, only to find that to look dumb as well. I tried adding classic spartan green to break it up, but the only armor set I had that also featured a decent splash of secondary was Recluse Laeta, which also happens to look badass and a little classic in itself. At that point, I threw on the Security helmet to make the whole ensemble into one big homage to the greatest super soldiers of Bungie lore: Master Chief, Noble 6, and Security Chief.
That armor sounds cool. Can you show me a picture?
Zifker wrote:
I like req packs, and their randomness. I think that they allow you to fully customize your spartan and make it unique. If all the armors and helmets were available to everyone, everyone would just pick the coolest one and all look the same. I do agree that they should not cost money though, because i have been working hard on earning points and only have 90000.
I must disagree. Forgetting how unlock difficulty would hamfistedly determine what is "coolest" for most in a non random system, I will instead explain my personal choice in armor, at which I would have arrived without the other choices being locked behind loot boxes. See, I hate that the spartan underarmor is now colored instead of black. It just looks dumb and clashes with lore, and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to customize it separately from the armor. So I made my primary armor color pepper, only to find that to look dumb as well. I tried adding classic spartan green to break it up, but the only armor set I had that also featured a decent splash of secondary was Recluse Laeta, which also happens to look badass and a little classic in itself. At that point, I threw on the Security helmet to make the whole ensemble into one big homage to the greatest super soldiers of Bungie lore: Master Chief, Noble 6, and Security Chief.
That armor sounds cool. Can you show me a picture?
Check my profile.
I like req packs, and their randomness. I think that they allow you to fully customize your spartan and make it unique. If all the armors and helmets were available to everyone, everyone would just pick the coolest one and all look the same. I do agree that they should not cost money though, because i have been working hard on earning points and only have 90000.
If your into the dress up your spartan thing fine but whats cool to you isn't to the next person, so no everyone wouldn't have the same armor colors or visor variations . In fact randomly unlocking doesn't even allow you to customize you spartan to your choice, it allows you to use only what you have available in your collection. Same goes for the many gun variants, skins as well as emblems
I like req packs, and their randomness. I think that they allow you to fully customize your spartan and make it unique. If all the armors and helmets were available to everyone, everyone would just pick the coolest one and all look the same. I do agree that they should not cost money though, because i have been working hard on earning points and only have 90000.
If your into the dress up your spartan thing fine but whats cool to you isn't to the next person, so no everyone wouldn't have the same armor colors or visor variations . In fact randomly unlocking doesn't even allow you to customize you spartan to your choice, it allows you to use only what you have available in your collection. Same goes for the many gun variants, skins as well as emblems
What I'm saying is that since everyone will not have the coolest armor they will choose different ones, and I know other people won't agree with me I'm just sharing my opinion.
All of you people complaining about loot boxes will have absolutely 0 reason to -Yoink- when we have to start paying for DLC again in Halo Infinite. I've been playing Halo long enough to remember what it was like to pay for every DLC Bungie released and never getting to play on any of the new maps because there was always at least one person in every lobby that didn't buy DLC which kept all of us from using it.

The new system is a lot better than the old one.
All of you people complaining about loot boxes will have absolutely 0 reason to -Yoink- when we have to start paying for DLC again in Halo Infinite. I've been playing Halo long enough to remember what it was like to pay for every DLC Bungie released and never getting to play on any of the new maps because there was always at least one person in every lobby that didn't buy DLC which kept all of us from using it.

The new system is a lot better than the old one.
You didn't get any real dlc in h5 though just the content that should have been at launch drip fed over the year . I also remember the dlc days and agree it sucked paying for maps and not being able to use them . I think there's got to be a better way than both the current loot box system and the old dlc system ,
All of you people complaining about loot boxes will have absolutely 0 reason to -Yoink- when we have to start paying for DLC again in Halo Infinite. I've been playing Halo long enough to remember what it was like to pay for every DLC Bungie released and never getting to play on any of the new maps because there was always at least one person in every lobby that didn't buy DLC which kept all of us from using it.

The new system is a lot better than the old one.
I disagree but free maps were a good choice though. I also agree that it dies split the community but both systems suck as loot boxes made halo 5 the worst progession system in the halo franchise.
I don't think 343 is for DLC since it splits the community.
LethalQ wrote:
tuhin94 wrote:
The profits any AAA developer see from this form of enterprise will be very hard to just give up.
Thankfully countries like Belgium and the Netherlands are banning the practice of including casinos in full-price games. Others will hopefully follow suit.
I don't think they made near as much as some think from packs. Just because something is for sale doesn't mean people are emptying their wallets for it. I wouldn't go as far as calling req packs casinos or even gambling. They tell you up front what you are getting. Sure you don't get to choose specific items but you have a good idea of what is in it...aka two permanent unlocks and some single use reqs.
It's nothing more than trying to test the waters to see how far they can get with them. That's why Warzone isn't necessarily "pay to win", but having better weapons can make a huge difference. More developers are doing it and more people need to speak out against. Never give any developer an inch with microtransactions or they'll take a mile. Even for cosmetic ones.
The majority of reqs are cosmetic.

The only way they give an advantage is if your just starting out.
Anyone who has played enough will have most reqs unlocked already.

There are also a ton of useless reqs too.
Scopes or attachments, vehicles, power ups, weapons that don't suit your play style.

And if you only play arena there'll all useless accept armor skins and xp / rp boosts.
Uh... Okay. Well I guess I was responding to the third post, before this junk with coding happened.

Quote:
Keep the faith, it's appreciated! We’re still working through final plans and will share more when we are ready, but I can definitely say that Halo Infinite will not include real-money loot boxes.
It sucks that they specified 'real money' Lootboxes, because... Yeah. That sounds awfully like "Oh yeah, they're in the game. Just using an alternative currency that you conveniently buy with money!"
AMA4N wrote:
REQ packs and blitz are officially my least favourite features in the halo franchise since they are loot boxes. I'll tell why req packs was a failure.
1. Loot boxes. Loot boxes is a feature that doesn't belong in a full priced game. It's basically like a chore by opening packs.
2. Random items: When you buy a pack, you don't know what you are getting. In reach, you save up credits on ehat you want to buy and get a preview but in Halo 5, it's a random generator.
3. Doesn't feel like rewarding: Remember Halo 3, you needed 1000 gamerscore to get the hayabussa and in reach you save up and know what you are buying but halo 5, it's basically about getting lucky.
4. Can buy with real money: This is a big thing. People can just buy rewards with real money instead of taking effort to actually earn them.
5 Ruined Warzone: That mode is basically filled with microtransactions. Firefoght in ODST and reach did well and warzone was disappointing.

Remember marty who had a interview with the act man in act mans video where he said microtransactions shouldn't be in halo.

Don't get me wrong, i dont hate halo 5, it's just i hate the req packs. To fix this, i hope 343 follows how titanfall 2 did it as you can see what you want to buy and get a preview or follow what cd project did with the witcher 3.

I hope loot boxes and microtransactions do NOT return in Infinite unless if microtransactions don't affect the game at least. It kinda killed warzone for me.
6,000 req points awarded to you if you collected everything
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2