Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why Team Shooting is prominent in Halo 5

OP Rhydon65

I've recently found a post on Reddit that discusses why team shooting appears in some FPS games as opposed to others, and it uses Halo as an example. You can read the full post here, but basically it says that the slower a game's TTK is, then the more important team shooting is, which in turn makes players less powerful as individuals. Halo has always had rather slow time-to-kill, especially compared to twitch shooters like Battlefield, because of players having energy shields. However, as the post explains, grenades have been used to bypass shields and leave players vulnerable to headshots. If you could flank your enemies, it was possible to defeat most or all of them with a single grenade followed by headshots, as your shields would still be up while theirs are down. So it is reasoned that team shooting in Halo 5 is necessity because, despite having faster base TTK than other Halo games, thrusters mitigate the damage/effectiveness of grenades, so using them to bypass shields isn't nearly as effective as it used to be.

This all sounds like solid logic to me, but I wanted to get the opinions of you guys here on Waypoint.

This post has been hidden.

The player has too many escape options with Spartan abilities which is one reason why it requires so much team shooting. Sprint, thrust, slide, spartan charge and ground pound all allow you to escape and/or prolong a gun fight making individual gunfights less effective when their opponent isn't out in the wide open.
Team shooting has always been a must in halo games

This post has been hidden.

Well, whether team shooting is a necessity or not, I've always thought it was quite smart to have more than one person shooting at the same guy under any circumstance. I mean, that's just common sense, right? There are very few downsides to "Many vs. One" engagements in any shooting game.
Not when you got people who Betray for Power Weapons & who do it for fun

I agree it’s needed, but those, thats a No No
It's been prominent since Halo 2, because it had slower TTKs than CE.

Not when you got people who Betray for Power Weapons & who do it for fun

I agree it’s needed, but those, thats a No No
No, it isn't. You shouldn't need to rely on anyone else just to kill one player.
I am not quite following actually? Is this a complaint? Critique? Observation? Yes in Halo if you are on a team it is good strategy to "team shoot". If you are going solo yeah a well placed grenade to take out your opponents shields is good strategy. Having a longer TTK is what seta Halo apart and gives it a higher learning curve and to me makes getting kills much more satisfying.
It's funny how opinions differ on this subject. I quit playing Destiny 2 to go back to Halo 5 because I hated team shooting in Destiny 2 so much, but found no teamshooting in Halo 5. :)
I see halo as a "true skill" game, where call of duty or battlefield are not. Let me make my case,

Lets say that we are playing call of duty or battlefield, and you are the best player in the world in either of those games, and i am some Christmas noob that just started playing the game. we run into each other face to face in a 1v1 battle and i die most of the time minus that one lucky head shot that i get and it kills you. then i sneak up behind you and i then shoot you from behind. and i am able to kill you. these games definitely require skill, don't get me wrong. but a noob will still has a chance to kill the best players in the game. it wont happen all that often but it will happen.

Halo you spawn with the same starting weapons and the same amount of damage is needed for you to kill me as for me to kill you. when faced against each other the better play wins. Now lets say that you are the best halo player in the world and i am some noob that just started playing. i see you on the map and i sneak up behind you and start to shoot you. you then turn around and wreck me because this game takes more overall skill to play and kill others.

so when it comes to team shooting, there's just not a huge need for it in a game that a lucky head shot can save your life, where in halo you can only get a lucky head shot with a sniper (and some would argue that its not luck but skill) i think halo has been the standard for team shooters. and i much rather play a true skill game then not.
dt4824 wrote:
I see halo as a "true skill" game, where call of duty or battlefield are not. Let me make my case,

Lets say that we are playing call of duty or battlefield, and you are the best player in the world in either of those games, and i am some Christmas noob that just started playing the game. we run into each other face to face in a 1v1 battle and i die most of the time minus that one lucky head shot that i get and it kills you. then i sneak up behind you and i then shoot you from behind. and i am able to kill you. these games definitely require skill, don't get me wrong. but a noob will still has a chance to kill the best players in the game. it wont happen all that often but it will happen.

Halo you spawn with the same starting weapons and the same amount of damage is needed for you to kill me as for me to kill you. when faced against each other the better play wins. Now lets say that you are the best halo player in the world and i am some noob that just started playing. i see you on the map and i sneak up behind you and start to shoot you. you then turn around and wreck me because this game takes more overall skill to play and kill others.

so when it comes to team shooting, there's just not a huge need for it in a game that a lucky head shot can save your life, where in halo you can only get a lucky head shot with a sniper (and some would argue that its not luck but skill) i think halo has been the standard for team shooters. and i much rather play a true skill game then not.
thats exactly what i tough.

Halo definitly requires more skill, and you can prove it just by playing with COD and Battlefield players (i do it on malls where they have consoles to try on- not sure if i writte it wrong) even if you are new at those games you can easilly kill more "experienced" players.
Example- i went to the mall last xmas, there was a guy of 20 years old-ish,he was playing COD, i ask him about the game, nicelly i was asked to play with him 1vs1, i did it, and i win (i had never played COD ever in my life- dont know what version of COD was- bored me just by that) the guy was impacted and im not very good check my stats.

Halo.....every Halo has always been a major skill game, hopefully 343i keep it that way.
if you dont like team shooting play FFA or go to COD or Minecraft (lol)
This is only my opinion based on the expierenced i had with the games mentioned
Hmm, I would say Halo 5 has been getting the most out of team shooting from playing the game since launch and has been increasing more. I sometimes feel like the older games never had that much unless it was Halo 3 but that was about it.
I think that Halo 5 requires more team shooting than other halos but I wouldn't say that it is required for a Halo game. Teamwork is required, but teamshooting is different. You need teamwork to organize, surround and shut down a team. You don't necessarily need team shooting for this. I think Halo 5 requires both majority of the time (not all), whereas other Halos just require teamwork in positioning and backing each other up.
dt4824 wrote:

thats exactly what i tough.

Halo definitly requires more skill, and you can prove it just by playing with COD and Battlefield players (i do it on malls where they have consoles to try on- not sure if i writte it wrong) even if you are new at those games you can easilly kill more "experienced" players.
Example- i went to the mall last xmas, there was a guy of 20 years old-ish,he was playing COD, i ask him about the game, nicelly i was asked to play with him 1vs1, i did it, and i win (i had never played COD ever in my life- dont know what version of COD was- bored me just by that) the guy was impacted and im not very good check my stats.

Halo.....every Halo has always been a major skill game, hopefully 343i keep it that way.
if you dont like team shooting play FFA or go to COD or Minecraft (lol)
This is only my opinion based on the expierenced i had with the games mentioned
You're both making the false assumption that "skill" is synonymous with "individual skill". While it may or may not be true that CoD or Battlefield is an easy game to excel at in a 1v1 or FFA environment, these games could still have significant depth in team coordination. Battlefield at least is designed to be a very team oriented game, having lots of team oriented mechanics such as a class system that encourages having a distribution of players in different roles, appropriate for the map in question.

I know it's fun to think that your favorite game takes so much more skill than some other game, but the reality is that unless the two games are very, very similar, they often rely on such vastly different skill sets that making any definite statements about which "takes more skill" is foolish. Not the least because "skill" isn't an easily definable quantity, let alone something one can deduce by merely having experience playing the game.
Unknown wrote:
Has it? I don't remember times where I needed another player's help to kill someone in Halo 3. I remember people finishing off and stealing some of my kills, but never actually needing help getting kills.
Eh it was more reach I guess but comp everyone team shot
I really enjoyed reading that Reddit post. I thought it was a thoughtful and insightful analysis. Thanks for linking it Rhydon65.