Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Why the heck does everyone hate halo 5's campaign?

OP bartleby892760

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. ...
  6. 20
How much time ya got...

In a nutshell, story.

Gameplay actually didn't suck, tho.
I gotta say I like every campaign in the Halo series but Halo 5 has got to be the most disappointing. The biggest insult was bringing back Cortana. Halo 4 was perfect because it explored the relationship between Chief and Cortana. Those final moments marked a culmination of their relationship. It was more than a super solider and an AI. There was a real bond there. And Halo 5 made any impact Halo 4 had completely and utterly pointless. It's a shame because in my eyes for its story, which may just be my opinion, but Halo 4's campaign was a masterpiece in the franchise to date (or so it was until Halo 5 made it redundant) humanising Chief and exploring the relationship between a human and A.I. It was so intimate and personal. The story in 5 was completely misleading to what the ads showed. We were promised a story that was arguably bigger and original. The idea of Chief going awol sounded perfect because when I first heard we were hunting him, my initial reactions were so giddy and excited because maybe 343 were going to further explore chief, we got amazing character development from him in Halo 4 - and the idea that he had to find his place in this universe. He had lost someone extremely close to him. How does this affect his mentality, with that voice, that spark of humanity in his ear gone and its ironic because Cortana wasn't human but she felt so human in 4, so vulnerable for the first time. What we got in a Halo 5 had no substance. Locke could have very well been a cardboard cut out, because in comparison to the chief he was just that bland! There just wasn't any emotional connection to him or Osiris. The missions just weren't up to standard to say Assault on the control room (open up those control room doors for the first time and you hear that covenant dance theme start to kick in) or Halo 2's excellent Delta Halo and Regret missions (underwater adventure!) or Halo 3's fantastic and EPIC as hell "The Covenant" (two scarabs, epic music. Everything in that mission was perfection) or even Halo Reach's "Long Night of Solace" (storming a beachhead facility then flying into space!) heck or even Halo 4's "Midnight" (which was epic and sad and frustrating on legendary!) The point is, Halo 5 left no mark on me what so ever. The campaign on its own was decent but compare it to every other Halo game and suddenly it feels kind of empty.
I gotta say I like every campaign in the Halo series but Halo 5 has got to be the most disappointing. The biggest insult was bringing back Cortana. Halo 4 was perfect because it explored the relationship between Chief and Cortana. Those final moments marked a culmination of their relationship. It was more than a super solider and an AI. There was a real bond there. And Halo 5 made any impact Halo 4 had completely and utterly pointless. It's a shame because in my eyes for its story, which may just be my opinion, but Halo 4's campaign was a masterpiece in the franchise to date (or so it was until Halo 5 made it redundant) humanising Chief and exploring the relationship between a human and A.I. It was so intimate and personal. The story in 5 was completely misleading to what the ads showed. We were promised a story that was arguably bigger and original. The idea of Chief going awol sounded perfect because when I first heard we were hunting him, my initial reactions were so giddy and excited because maybe 343 were going to further explore chief, we got amazing character development from him in Halo 4 - and the idea that he had to find his place in this universe. He had lost someone extremely close to him. How does this affect his mentality, with that voice, that spark of humanity in his ear gone and its iron ice because Cortana wasn't human but she felt so human in 4, so vulnerable for the first time. What we got in a Halo 5 had no substance. Locke could have very well been a cardboard cut out, because in comparison to the chief he was just that bland! There just wasn't any emotional connection to him or Osiris. The missions just weren't up to standard to say Assault on the control room (open up those control room doors for the first time and you hear that covenant dance theme start to kick in) or Halo 2's excellent Delta Halo and Regret missions (underwater adventure!) or Halo 3's fantastic and EPIC as hell "The Covenant" (two scarabs, epic music. Everything in that mission was perfection) or even Halo Reach's "Long Night of Solace" (storming a beachhead facility then flying into space!) heck or even Halo 4's "Midnight" (which was epic and sad and frustrating on legendary!) The point is, Halo 5 left no mark on me what so ever. The campaign on its own was decent but compare it to every other Halo game and suddenly it feels kind of empty.
So much this! I also like how you mention some notable levels from past games (definitely agree with Delta Halo, Regret, and The Covenant). I don't know how 343i can justify some of the choices they made in Halo 5, and I really have no idea what to expect for Halo 6 - not in a good way.
The simple fact that there's only 3? Missions with MC.
I'd like to see a revamp of halo reach where you can play as your own Spartan in halo 5 campaign
Please don't receive dead topics.
Please don't receive dead topics.
In future please just report posts that revive old topics, no need to further bump them by replying. Thanks
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 18
  4. 19
  5. ...
  6. 20