Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

[Locked] Why the heck does everyone hate halo 5's campaign?

OP bartleby892760

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 20
The campaign was decent i suppose. The story is bad but the gameplay was solid. The Warden fights did get old right away, and the lack of Chief levels was a huge letdown, but it was still ok.
Spoiler:
Show
It was false advertising in some places and I remember hearing something about different routes and endings to the levels but I guess not...
FLAG21 wrote:
The campaign was decent i suppose. The story is bad but the gameplay was solid. The Warden fights did get old right away, and the lack of Chief levels was a huge letdown, but it was still ok.
Spoiler:
Show

Also, the cutscenes where Locke and chief fought was so cringe and could of been made so much better
Honestly I enjoyed the campaign. A few things could've been done better, such as the amount of times you go toe to toe with The Warden Eternal.
I enjoyed it, but I could have enjoyed it even more. I had hoped it to be more focused on the Forerunners and Flood directly.
Where the -Yoink- have you been for the last 4 months. Why does everyone hate the campaign? Because it is the most mediocre story halo has ever had. Brings nothing new and pretty much relies on shock factor for Cortana's -Yoink- survival. Not to mention that the writing is sloppy and the characters are almost as blank as bread. Then you have Warden Eternal who you fight 8 times and you learn nothing much about him.
Then there's a lack of backstory for both team.
And don't even get me started on the false advertising and post launch critisms by Frank.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Because we are not currently equipped to provide moderation in other languages, we ask that all messages be posted in English. Feel free to use an online language translation service, and then create a new thread with the translated text

la campaña en legendario esta genial
I love the campaign to be honest it's really good and they must have put a lot of effort into it
the story wasn't the one that was advertised, and it was shorter I would have liked for £40
Phoxniix wrote:
FLAG21 wrote:
Spoiler:
Show

Also, the cutscenes where Locke and chief fought was so cringe and could of been made so much better
that was my favourite part, I made me laugh so much :D
wrong advertisements.
  • Locke hunts Chief? more like Locke is saving him
  • only 3 missions with our main character?
  • Good vs Bad theme was a waste of time and money..they had only one fight
  • weak plot
Mhhhm since Halo 4 for me the feeling changed. I cant explain it right but the impression was better on 1 to 3, since 4 they made the Chief softer, which makes him weaker, which makes me frustratet.

Also do i get mad about the reverse going AI Skills, in Halo 3 you could jump on the Warthog and they would drive you around and that not so bad at all. Now they cant even drive for themself, always messing up.
The Team is useless as -Yoink- when no command is given, why do i need a Team when i have to fight alone?

The marketing made the Campaing seem like there would be a big battle between Locke and the Master Chief, but what nothing, just a short movie about the 2 fighting and even worse Locke did put up a good fight against the Chief, are u serious? THE MASTER CHIEF WHOS A FRIGGN COMBAT GOD, who survived a drop of a enemy flag ship, get his visor broken by a mere duplicate with a weaker armor?

And with that to the biggest thing thats messed up, you play most of the Campain Locke, who the hell is Locke, give im some missions like the Arbiter, not almost the whole campaign...

For last, i couldnt follow the story at all, always this skipping parts no flow at all, where are the videoscenes between the missions to give the story the right push.

Instead of putting up your hollywoodscenes with flashy explosions everywhere and the herolike feeling as if you were watching the avengers, conentrate on being HALO
To be completely honest, I was only disappointed with it because I was able to beat it within 2 or 3 hours the first day I got the game. It would've been even shorter if not for the fact that I took a break because I thought I had half the campaign to still get through. (Though, I was on the last level, and didn't even know haha.) Other than that, I thought it was a solid, and engaging campaign, Just a tad short. Cheers.
The only reason I played Halo in the first place was because of the Campaign I used to play with friends. Halo 1, 2, 3 and Reach I thought were really good stories but slowly I think Halo ventured off over to the Multiplayer side of things. The campaign I thought in Halo 5 was -Yoink-, even I haven't even finished it because of how bad I it is. I only play Halo now because of the Multiplayer which I think is amazing.
It felt like the sparknotes version of the story.
compared to Bungie's epic Halo campaigns, halo 5's campaign lack "epicness", there is nothing memorable about it. to this day I still cherish every moment of halo 2's campaign, but Halo 5 will soon be forgotten.

The campaign feels like a summary with no "wow" factor at all, some may argue how they made MC and Cortana villains but thats still does not make it worse than the point of just being a boring lackluster campaign. And, quite honestly I do like Locke as main character he did almost as good of job as Master chief and it broke my heart to see Cortana turn sour , but the game was still just boring. Sure people that have not been around long enough to remember the early halo games will find halo 5 quite enjoyable, that is because they are completely fine with mediocre COD type campaigns. The best way i can compare halo 5 is to Starwars movies. Remember Return Of the Jedi from the 80's? i do. Well that is the likes of Halo 2 from start of the new millennium. Halo 5 is like those forgotten Starwarwars episodes from the 1990s. those movies were forgotten imo, because they only appealed to immature audiences, likewise Halo Guardians.

people from the 90's were children during those 1990's starwars movies and they claimed that those movies were just as good as the 1980's classics, well im from the 70's (disco baby) and i swear those 90's episodes are nothing compared to the classic starwars movies. I have not seen the new starwars yet, because being so disappointed with the previous versions, maybe it good but who cares after those previous let downs. I guess we have the same phenomena with Halo;

I'm betting Halo 25 will be so streamlined that is will not even be funny, while the people of that generation will be happy with it, the grannies will tell them "Oh no, this new halo 25 may have 100,000/80p graphics but it is nothing like the old halo's"
I didn't dislike it, just didn't feel much about it. I think it was the fact that Master Chief wasn't always the main actor.
In my view it's Halo CE> Halo 3 > Halo 2 (just because I played it very late) > Halo 4 > Halo 5.

I still believe in 343, they will learn and give us something good for 6. Fingers crossed!
DW Fame wrote:
Mhhhm since Halo 4 for me the feeling changed. I cant explain it right but the impression was better on 1 to 3, since 4 they made the Chief softer, which makes him weaker, which makes me frustratet.

Also do i get mad about the reverse going AI Skills, in Halo 3 you could jump on the Warthog and they would drive you around and that not so bad at all. Now they cant even drive for themself, always messing up.
The Team is useless as -Yoink- when no command is given, why do i need a Team when i have to fight alone?

The marketing made the Campaing seem like there would be a big battle between Locke and the Master Chief, but what nothing, just a short movie about the 2 fighting and even worse Locke did put up a good fight against the Chief, are u serious? THE MASTER CHIEF WHOS A FRIGGN COMBAT GOD, who survived a drop of a enemy flag ship, get his visor broken by a mere duplicate with a weaker armor?

And with that to the biggest thing thats messed up, you play most of the Campain Locke, who the hell is Locke, give im some missions like the Arbiter, not almost the whole campaign...

For last, i couldnt follow the story at all, always this skipping parts no flow at all, where are the videoscenes between the missions to give the story the right push.

Instead of putting up your hollywoodscenes with flashy explosions everywhere and the herolike feeling as if you were watching the avengers, conentrate on being HALO
Having emotions is not a weakness. In fact, I thought it was a welcome change for our stoic silent protagonist to show some humanity. The books show some, but the main series had always lacked that until Halo 4... and they wasted all that set-up in Guardians.True, the AI is -Yoinking!- stupid.

Spartan IV's in MJOLNIR are equal in strength to Spartan II operatives minus combat experience, obviously. Outside that suit though... it's a different story. (Spoiler: Chief would've gone Hulk on him :P )

You see, we were in a similar situation back in the Halo 2 days when playing as the Arbiter, but we soon got to see he was actually an interesting character whose actions and personal journey actually meant something for the story. Not -Yoinking!- boring Agent Locke. I would've been fine with 9 missions of Locke (mostly) if he was a character of Thel's caliber, but he's obviously not. So yeah, that sucks.

Much of it is talked about in game banter between both teams, and the cutscenes that exist... I don't know. They are... boring. I don't know how to explain it. Some may argue that cutscenes are always boring, but the ones for this game both fail to be engaging and to deliver the necessary exposition and/or character develpoment moments.

LOL, that intro scene with the Power Range- I mean Fireteam Osiris was way over the top, but I did like it. Nice contrast with the more muted, controlled badassery of Blue Team's intro cinematic on the Argent Moon.
Now, I don’t mean to dismiss the people who dislike it. There are quite a few valid arguments. But please don’t dismiss Halo 5’s campaign because 343 made it, and please hear me out.
Everywhere I look, I see people complaining about the Halo 5 campaign.
“The levels aren't long enough!"-There are more than enough levels, despite how short the first couple were, and the other levels were long enough to be insanely fun. I really enjoyed the first two missions anyways.
“I hate 343i!” If you hate 343, then I don't know what to tell you. We’re stuck with them, because Bungie abandoned us. However, they haven’t done much bad. Despite all the dislike towards it, Halo 4 was a solid game.
"The story was shallow”-I’m sorry, what? It’s about Locke hunting down Chief, and Cortana being alive, and had an amazing story. It really explored the halo universe in a way no other game has.
“The campaign was too short”-There were a ton of levels, and the only campaign I enjoyed more was Halo 3 #ArbyFTW

What's your opinion, guys? Please tell me what you think, but please be polite to everyone, and please DO NOT TROLL!
I thought the gameplay was awesome, I just wished the ending was a little less open ended but nonetheless hopefully this will just mean for an even better campaign for Halo 6, but yea overall great campaign.
Now, I don’t mean to dismiss the people who dislike it. There are quite a few valid arguments. But please don’t dismiss Halo 5’s campaign because 343 made it, and please hear me out.

That's the problem. 343 made it. They're very inexperienced to take on a game like Halo full head-on. They need practice before moving onto a game with a pre-set amount of expectations, almost all of which they failed to meet twice.

Everywhere I look, I see people complaining about the Halo 5 campaign.

Because they're dissatisfied with it. The customer is always right. And in this case it's a lot of customers.

“The levels aren't long enough!"-There are more than enough levels, despite how short the first couple were, and the other levels were long enough to be insanely fun. I really enjoyed the first two missions anyways.

There aren't "more than enough levels." Especially when you consider: Only 3 missions are dedicated to the series' main character: John 117 Master Chief, 3 of the 15 missions are non-combat missions (unacceptable, this is an FPS not an RPG), and most of the missions don't give you any story to them. They all just lead to the next mission but don't actually give you any context to the actual Halo story because it's all just one big lead into the next game. (Not what games are for.)

“I hate 343i!” If you hate 343, then I don't know what to tell you. We’re stuck with them, because Bungie abandoned us. However, they haven’t done much bad. Despite all the dislike towards it, Halo 4 was a solid game.

First of all if someone dislikes a developer then I know what to tell them. It makes their criticism valid because it means that a fan of Halo isn't satisfied with this excuse of a game that 343 has so hastily concocted. We're not stuck with them because Bungie "abandoned us." We're stuck with them because they picked up a dead series that was already over. (Yes Halo 3 was meant to be the last of the main series even Bungie said it back in '08) And Bungie didn't abandon us; they just realized Microsoft was completely screwing them over like they do with every studio. Why do you think the makers of Fable are also getting the boot? (Yes Lionhead is being shut down too.) Halo 4 was most certainly not a solid game and this is shown in the number of sales, number of people playing multiplayer, and the negative feedback it received which lead to massive reform and discarding of most of its aspects, also most of which were disliked. They have also done a lot of bad, they know there is a bar for Halo expectations and they toyed with it and manipulated it and now it is no longer meeting anywhere near the old Halos' bar and standards. The numbers say it all.

"The story was shallow”-I’m sorry, what? It’s about Locke hunting down Chief, and Cortana being alive, and had an amazing story. It really explored the halo universe in a way no other game has.

The story isn't about Locke hunting Chief and if you think that then you didn't play the campaign. They had an "epic" chase and "awesome" non-interactive stale fight for all of 5 seconds. It lasted a total of 3-4 missions if you count the non-playable. Most of the game was Locke chasing down Chief to save him, not hunt him. They completely lied to us and misguided is with the teasers, the Hunt The Truth series, and practically all the things they told us and marketed prior to the games' release. Cortana being alive? This character has no real development, nor do any of the others. Cortana is a cheesy villain who has no real incentives. She just wants to do bad. I wonder how many other villains do that. Cortana's personality doesn't match anything like it does in Halo 5. She doesn't have any connections with the personality or actions or predictability of the old character. It didn't "explore" the Halo universe. It was a game that you cannot understand at all unless you read the books and watch the movies and are actively crazy about lore. An average gamer cannot understand the campaign at all. In Halo 1-3, Reach, ODST, and Wars you need no knowledge of outside lore to see the story and understand it. Yes the lore helps a lot to deeply understand it but it isn't a necessity. This is simply not the case with Halo 5. That is absolutely unacceptable.

“The campaign was too short”-There were a ton of levels, and the only campaign I enjoyed more was Halo 3 #ArbyFTW

"Tons of levels." Not gonna say much. Refer to my other answer. 3 weren't even missions for FPS purposes and only 3 utilized the series' main character. And the campaign can be beaten in 4 hours if you play on legendary. It's been done numerous times and recorded. That's pain-stakingly short.
What's your opinion, guys? Please tell me what you think, but please be polite to everyone, and please DO NOT TROLL!

Go ahead. Read my opinion and tell me I'm wrong with all your fanboy blindness clouding your judgement. Do it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 20