Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why the Magnum?

OP Pyrolusion

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Soooo why is the magnum basically the DMR? same RoF and DPS so I dont get it? It fires a significantly smaller bullet yet does the same damage. So Arena is extremely boring because the AR cant even scratch your armors paint. 4 shots with a small hand gun and over 15 with an assault rifle. I thought the point of the DMR was to be a precision weapon. Dont worry guys as long as you have a Magnum you have the best precision weapon of the game. No DMR required.
Pyrolusion wrote:
4 shots with a small hand gun and over 15 with an assault rifle.
That's hardly comparable, considering the assault rifle is an automatic weapon. Would you prefer if it killed in four bullets?

The DMR is meant to basically be a sniper rifle lite. If you know what you're doing it right at long range, or even mid range, you can clock a guy with a magnum using it.
True dat
Have seen a massive influx of magnum use, even though I suck with it. Guess I can't complain or anything, "Git gud", you know?
Pyrolusion wrote:
Soooo why is the magnum basically the DMR? same RoF and DPS so I dont get it? It fires a significantly smaller bullet yet does the same damage. So Arena is extremely boring because the AR cant even scratch your armors paint. 4 shots with a small hand gun and over 15 with an assault rifle. I thought the point of the DMR was to be a precision weapon. Dont worry guys as long as you have a Magnum you have the best precision weapon of the game. No DMR required.
Significantly smaller bullet? Diameter wise no. Velocity wise yes. 12.7x40mm is by no means a small bullet the DMR fires a 7.62x51mm which is a smaller over all size round but traveling much faster
Pyrolusion wrote:
AR has always been terrible. That being said, the H5 has probably been the best iteration of the gun.

Still, there are 5 precision weapons in H5 that are all roughly equal and have their own strengths/weaknesses. I usually drop the magnum for any precision weapon except occasionally the lightrifle
DMR has more magnification and longer aim assist range, making it a much better choice for long range.... Which is, you know... It's intended role.

Did you really need that explained to you?
DMR has more magnification and longer aim assist range, making it a much better choice for long range.... Which is, you know... It's intended role.

Did you really need that explained to you?

Pyrolusion wrote:
. 4 shots with a small hand gun and over 15 with an assault rifle.
Way off. Pistol can kill in 5 shots, Assault Rifle can kill in 12.
Pyrolusion wrote:
Magnum is a five shot.
The DMR has more aim assist and i swear i have killed people with the dmr missing shots
The pros use the AR in CQC. It has a role, just like the magnum and the DMR.
Pyrolusion wrote:
It's all about the handling which affects the precision. It's also about the recoil. revolvers and pistols tend to go up and back while rifles tend to go back. That's because of the size of the weapons and where you have the grip. DMR is certainly more precise than the magnum for those reasons.
Pyrolusion wrote:
It's all about the handling which affects the precision. It's also about the recoil. revolvers and pistols tend to go up and back while rifles tend to go back. That's because of the size of the weapons and where you have the grip. DMR is certainly more precise than the magnum for those reasons.
That may be true in real life but in H5 the DMR and Magnum have identical accuracy because both guns have zero bullet spread and the reticle always returns to where it was before the next shot.
Every gun has a specific role it fills. The AR is more so for close range combat. If you're within the effective range the AR can and often will beat the magnum. If you're being beat by a magnum then you need to make yourself a harder target to hit and get closer to your opponent. I swear, the magnum's sole purpose is to destroy people who try to use the AR at longer ranges.
The dmr is my favorite precision weapon in halo 5. The difference is, it is easier to aim than the pistol, especially at a distance.
xRaTIoNaLx wrote:
Pyrolusion wrote:
Significantly smaller bullet? Diameter wise no. Velocity wise yes. 12.7x40mm is by no means a small bullet the DMR fires a 7.62x51mm which is a smaller over all size round but traveling much faster
Magnums bullets are also HE
The dmr is my favorite precision weapon in halo 5. The difference is it is easier to aim than the pistol, especially at a distance.
True but as a competitive player the frame rate data for the dmr over pistol is horrible on dmrs side leaving is with a shot ahead advantage for the pistol. Also the pistol is a 5 shot kill same as dmr but again pistol is up in shot advantage by 0.78s leaving the person with the DMR to die first if they land the first shots. (thats without head shots.) another reason the dmr looses is because in close quarters the fire rate of the pistol is firing a bullet every 0.12sec per shot (for bullet to be exited the pistol) while the dmr is at 0.90 seconds with a 2 second delay while the pistol only has a 1.5 second delay again leaving it down to the shot advantage. And yes med to long range pistol wins again but long range dmr wins due to the aim assist of being at 8% aim assist as pistol is only have 3 to 5% allowing the dmr to get the advantage. But in medium to long these weapons close. All depending who screwes up or has the better strafe. Close quarters can be close again if someone screwes up there done. Example. If you spartan charge it puts u into a 10 frame animation leaving 10 frames of lag and if you miss thats 5 shots so therefore if they hit all ahots ur dead. Or if you slide that puts your guy down for 1.55 seconds leaving you almost to 2 full shots leaving u down in shields if they connect thir ahots and thrustering brings ur gun down for 1.86sec. Leaving it in the same situation as the sliding and so it really comes down to whoever is smarter than the other and can aim better but the overall better weapon in most combate areas is the pistol
Forgot to mention another screw up is clambering...you take your gun away for 180 frames of 3 seconds and that leaves with u down 3 shots the pistol and 2 with dmr due to the frame rate only being 60 frames for the pistol and 120 for dmr
Pyrolusion wrote:
Pyrolusion wrote:
Please don't complain about the AR's they are terribly OP already. Besides, Halo is geared to be fun, not realistic.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2