Forums / Games / Halo 5: Guardians

Why to ppl keep dropping and picking up the flag??

OP HERKFOOT21

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
Why do so many players when returning the flag on CTF run with it and let it go, pick it up, let it go etc??? That completely gives your position away and the enemy team knows where you are? i personally love when the other team does that so i can follow where they are and know where to go to.
I've heard it's quicker to get it back that way, but I only drop it if I need to fend off attackers, I prefer to run with it.
While doing that you are able to move faster since by letting go u can sprint and the flag is thrown further. Pros do that all the time.
So they can cap it before the enemy team respawns. As you shoul only be pulling the flag when 1-2 enemies are shown as a red x on the scoreboard (respawning).
So far none of these reasons are legit. You don't win by being "faster" you win by being smarter. It's just like the game of football, just because your faster doesn't mean your better and are gonna score all the time. You gotta be smart and sneaky. When i see enemies doing that i aim right for them, whereas when idk where they are i panic when trying to find it
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
So far none of these reasons are legit. You don't win by being "faster" you win by being smarter. It's just like the game of football, just because your faster doesn't mean your better and are gonna score all the time. You gotta be smart and sneaky. When i see enemies doing that i aim right for them, whereas when idk where they are i panic when trying to find it
They aren't legit? I can tell you're a new player to Halo because you have no idea what flag juggling is. But it is a legit tactic and works well.

Edit: flag juggling has been around for over 10 years and still works... hell, they even made it a "feature" in Halo 5. So just because you're too new to understand it doesn't make it bad.
This has been done as early as Halo CE. "Flag dropped...Flag Taken....Flag Dropped.... Flag Taken". It allows the flag carrier to run the flag faster than normal. You could obviously just hold onto it and use the sneaky element... or you could just try to be fast with it. Most pros do the flag drop/flag taken method.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
Im cringing so hard right now
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
They aren't legit? I can tell you're a new player to Halo because you have no idea what flag juggling is. But it is a legit tactic and works well.

Edit: flag juggling has been around for over 10 years and still works... hell, they even made it a "feature" in Halo 5. So just because you're too new to understand it doesn't make it bad.
lol I like how you keep thinking i'm "new to halo" and then you don't even think i know what the flag dropping is when this whole -Yoinking!- tread is exactly about that lol. When you drop it it gives you a fraction of a boost, yes i know it gives you a boost but the tiny amount to me is not enough vs the tactic of playing smart. Before on the halos it always showed where the carrier is but now your only shown if youve been hit. You must be new to halo to understand that. I'll take being sneak and having ppl not know where i am. Hell i just played a game on Altar CTF and every time they captured our flag i wasn't sure which way to go to try and find them to get it back. I was hoping they would drop it and pick it up again and us that "strategy" but they didn't. You might wanna know where your talking to there because you assume i'm new there bud.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
In halo 5 I don't think it's smart because how fast the enmy team can get to you now,it was smart in previous halo games though
OP, you're saying dropping and picking it up is a bad thing, but you never stated that you knew why they were doing it. If you don't want people to assume you are a newb, then give more details. Personally, I hate dropping the flag. But when I see someone else do it in front of me, I let them have it. But often I see people die in front of me as they do it, then I pick it up and score. So yeah, it's faster, and I would only suggest doing it if you absolutely know that speed is more important than stealth in that specific situation.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
HERKFOOT21 wrote:

lol I like how you keep thinking i'm "new to halo" and then you don't even think i know what the flag dropping is when this whole -Yoinking!- tread is exactly about that lol. When you drop it it gives you a fraction of a boost, yes i know it gives you a boost but the tiny amount to me is not enough vs the tactic of playing smart. Before on the halos it always showed where the carrier is but now your only shown if youve been hit. You must be new to halo to understand that. I'll take being sneak and having ppl not know where i am. Hell i just played a game on Altar CTF and every time they captured our flag i wasn't sure which way to go to try and find them to get it back. I was hoping they would drop it and pick it up again and us that "strategy" but they didn't. You might wanna know where your talking to there because you assume i'm new there bud.
The boost comes from the flag being thrown. It legitmately is much faster and allows for a faster travel towards your base, while revealing your location, while walking leaves your location undisclosed but you are much slower. And remember, not everyone uses that tactic.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
Why do so many players when returning the flag on CTF run with it and let it go, pick it up, let it go etc??? That completely gives your position away and the enemy team knows where you are? i personally love when the other team does that so i can follow where they are and know where to go to.
You can run it much faster if done right. But you gotta know when to juggle it like that and when to stealth cap. Look at the HCS Pro League games and see how fast the pro´s can cap a flag with perfect flag juggling technique. But if you do it poorly you a) wont be moving it much faster and b) give away your position.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
HERKFOOT21 wrote:

Did you just call me new? Take a look at my profile, I've stated I've been around since at least 2004.

And the only reason I assume you're new is because you asked about something that's been in since CE, so 15 years this year. No old player would question it, "newbie". So get more salty, please, and give more excuses.

Ps, there's a difference between "your" and "you're".
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
HERKFOOT21 wrote:

Did you just call me new? Take a look at my profile, I've stated I've been around since at least 2004.

And the only reason I assume you're new is because you asked about something that's been in since CE, so 15 years this year. No old player would question it, "newbie". So get more salty, please, and give more excuses.

Dude, chill. Juggling was the standard until 5. Now we have another option, the stealth cap. You do you and let op do op. No need to feed into his bs.
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
Sorry but you are exposing yourself as new to the game by dishing out bad advice.

There's plenty of times you can win by being faster - when the opportunity presents itself. The flag juggle is very useful in many situations. For example, when the enemy is respawning and you want to be fast. Or when you've been spotted and you want to be fast. Or you can throw it to a teammate that's up high and they score, cutting out a longer route and making you faster.

There are obviously times when you want to be sneaky too, like when you are alone and have to pass enemies. But you don't have to play that way, it's just another option.

I see that you haven't even played Arena this month, so is there any reason that you consider yourself qualified to tell us how to play the game? Have you played it at a high level with a good team?
Nooga wrote:
HERKFOOT21 wrote:
HERKFOOT21 wrote:

Dude, chill. Juggling was the standard until 5. Now we have another option, the stealth cap. You do you and let op do op. No need to feed into his bs.
Now that I look back at what I said, I can totally see how you, and probably everyone else, took it. I was more in the mindset of trying to get another response from him... looks like I did the opposite and made an -Yoink- of myself.
We did it in the older game because flag juggling allowed you to move faster. But in Halo 5, like you said, it gives away your position. So I only do it once I hear "you've been spotted" and I say "oh -Yoink!-" (since my position has already been given away) and I start juggling my butt off to get the flag as far as I can.

Halo 4 had a weird thing where you automatically picked up the flag by touching it and you couldn't drop it until you either captured it or you died. It was annoying because it limited your ability to fight with it (you couldn't set it down and fight off an enemy then pick it back up) and it showed the enemy team where you were the whole time with a big marker saying "Hey, the enemy is right here with your flag" the entire time you had it.

CE was awesome because you could carry the flag and drive yourself in a Ghost at the same time like a boss. Which was WAY too OP but kinda necessary what with those magnums sniping people out of Warthogs. It was not only legit, it was so legit that it was legitimate.
Does anyone remember playing Halo 3 and hearing the announcer saying "Flag Stolen/Taken!" over and over again?

OP flag juggling is a legit strategy, helps flag carriers transfer the enemy flag back to their base quicker than holding it all the way.
We did it in the older game because flag juggling allowed you to move faster. But in Halo 5, like you said, it gives away your position. So I only do it once I hear "you've been spotted" and I say "oh -Yoink!-" (since my position has already been given away) and I start juggling my butt off to get the flag as far as I can.

Halo 4 had a weird thing where you automatically picked up the flag by touching it and you couldn't drop it until you either captured it or you died. It was annoying because it limited your ability to fight with it (you couldn't set it down and fight off an enemy then pick it back up) and it showed the enemy team where you were the whole time with a big marker saying "Hey, the enemy is right here with your flag" the entire time you had it.

CE was awesome because you could carry the flag and drive yourself in a Ghost at the same time like a boss. Which was WAY too OP but kinda necessary what with those magnums sniping people out of Warthogs. It was not only legit, it was so legit that it was legitimate.
In the older games to it gave away your position but you also could still do the sneaky movement which I do alot when I would get close to my base so I didn't give the opposing team a route to know where I was but holy crikey dude the boost is there.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6